Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Alright, I think it is time for my 2 cents.

I am a girl playing on a guys varsity soccer team. My new school does not have a girls varsity soccer team, but I played on one tfor 2 years before coming here. To tell you the truth, I would much rather be playing on a girls team still, but I don't have that choice. Why should I have to inconvenience myself to play for another high school's girls team?

I do not want to be treated any differently when I am played against, by players, refs, or coaches, but I know that it is inevitable. I give it my all in practices and in games to keep up with you guys, and I don't expect to be given any slack. My coach does not have to play me just because I am a girl and I don't expect him to. He has the right to cut me if he feels that I am not up to the caliber of the rest of the team.

I am hurt by the fact that some of you think that when girls play on guys teams that we are disgracing soccer. That is rediculous. I love playing soccer so much and to be told that the situatiion that I am forced into if I want to play makes me a disgrace is caustic.

I think that every time you play a team with girls on it, you should see them as equals, not as disgraces. I cannot control how the refs call the games, but refs make bad calls all of the time, not just when a girl is involved.

I just want to play.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Alrighty then.

I am a girl who learned to play soccer with girls in middle school but has had to play with guys since freshman year, as neither high school that I have attended has had a girls team. I enjoy playing with guys more than with girls; I have always believed that there was less whining on a guys team. Some of you gentleman have proved me wrong.

I have played in games where players talk trash and foul blatantly just because I'm a girl. I have played in games where guys won't touch me for fear of hitting of a girl. I have played in games where refs will card me for almost nothing because I'm a girl and I've played in games where the refs will card anyone who touches me because I'm a girl. None of this has ever been in my control. I play the sport because I want to, and if the only way I can play is on a guy's team, then I'll keep on doing it. Sure, playing co-ed will always bother some people, but us girls can't help that.

We're all just soccer players in the same league and that's how we should, and want to be, treated.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
keep girls out of it yo....it aint right

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sounds like the guys are afraid. i guess society has encouraged this idea of being beat by a girl is worse. i know when we scrimmage our guys team or just play for fun that they try harder to not get schooled. if anything the girls are raising the level of game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
1) Was it necessary to "hammer" the female player in order to "knock her off the ball", or could you have been just as successful with much less aggression?
I agree here, most of the times, you can just fake a girl out (no offense to girls, just that is what I have seen in experience).

quote:
2) When a smaller school does not offer a girls program, do you believe a female deserves the opportunity to play the game without being "hammered" unnecessarily?
I don't agree with this however, I think they should be offered the opportunity to play soccer, if they get hammered then that is what happens. They shouldn't be treated any better, or any worse, just as any other boy that plays.

I also (kinda) agree that girls shouldn't be able to play. If they refuse me (and about a half-dozen other guys) to play volleyball.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
soccersince00

Does Aiken not have a girls team? or did you play for another school in Aiken?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i played for silver bluff.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who the heck cares? Sometimes, if your opponent has a girl on their team, sometimes its an advantage to you. i see your point on the whole fouling thing, but you just gotta live with it.

B
kick off
kick off
B
soccersince00
I say "Let Them Play". You would have been a 4 year letter winner at the Bluff if you had not moved!!

goal
goal
As a coach I would have no problem dropping a male player in favour of a superior female player. I'm pretty sure that many of the female players out there are acutley aware of the different kinds of treatment they can be on the receiving end of; treated as a target by opponents, treated as a weakness to be exploited tactically by opposing coaches, "babied" by officials or as an equal and just let play. I for one think that female players on boys varsity teams, such as the mentioned Palmetto, deserve a lot of respect for even being brave enough to go out and play for a boys team. Have any of you considered how much pressure the girls must be under to perform day-in day-out merely to "justify their place" - I for one would not be first in line for that kind of scrutiny.

As a player, I have never played competitively against a girl. I have seen many, many women play. I have seen women play who I would consider to be easily better than myself and I am playing college at the moment and have played pro for one year. I think that on the whole the female players (and I am generalizing here) are more technically aware and have better technique than the guys whereas the males rely a bit more on their physicality.

And, as a post-script, I don't think I'd notice any difference if I was challenging or being challenged by a girl as my eyes would be on the ball.

C'mon Palmetto!!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard