Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know how much of this there is in 3A and 4A, if any at all, but it seems like in 1A and 2A there's a good number of teams that have girls on their team. I feel like it's stupid because the refs always tend to show them favor just because their girls. The way I see it is if you play in a GUYS league then you should be treated, on the field, like a guy. For instance, Palmetto high school has a couple of girls on their team and I play defense so I hammer people all night and the refs weren't calling anything because they were good, hard, clean tackles. So, one of the guys from Palmetto gets carded and they put a girl in the game to take his spot. She's coming down the wing and I knock her off the ball just like I would to anyone else and they kept calling it. Then once the guy was put back in the game it wasn't called anymore. I just wanted to get some feedback on how everyone felt about this topic.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two questions you may wish to consider:
1) Was it necessary to "hammer" the female player in order to "knock her off the ball", or could you have been just as successful with much less aggression?
2) When a smaller school does not offer a girls program, do you believe a female deserves the opportunity to play the game without being "hammered" unnecessarily?
Keep in mind the referee's primary responsibility is the safety of the players. When a female is playing just as agressive as the males, the referee should, and usually does let them play as equals. However, when a female is not playing to their level of aggressiveness, I would think her opponents should not be more aggressive than necessary to get the job done. Doesn't this seem reasonable? If not, perhaps someday you will have a daughter in that circumstance and then you may see the light.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
y would u hit a girl anyways, thats just wrong

P
throw in
throw in
P
I think that soccer has rules tht define what is fair and what is foul play. Foul play should always be penalized no matter whether you are playing against girls or boys. The refs should pay attention to the rules only. On the other hand, DCA, when you are playing against someone a lot smaller than you and you deliberately try to hurt them, even in a technically legal tackle, you are not being a good sport. If you're really good you could figure a way to play solid defense and still not hurt someone by hammering them. This applies to smaller players of both sexes. Why be a bully?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DCA, i am right with you. i was a marking back for dixie and that stuff happened to me, as well. I think you are doing the right thing. Be aggressive, that is how you are supposed to play. If they are clean tackles, there should not be a problem with tackling a female competitor. The females on the team know what they have gotten into and they can play just as mean, if not meaner than any guy i have seen play. DCA, you just keep playing the game you play and good luck to you this season.

K
throw in
throw in
K
I played last year with Pendleton Varsity boys. The ref always called fouls on me. Dont take it easy on a girl. I always wanted to be treated like a guy on the field.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i agree that the call is a judgement call left to the referee. i don't think DCA meant he intentionally bullies smaller opponents. some people just play more aggressive than others. i think that you shouldn't have to change your level of play at the drop of a hat. on the other hand, certain schools do have girls on their boys team. it really just depends on the player. if a little shoulder is needed to take the ball, its not wrong to use it, within moderation. the ability to judge that situation destinguishes a player between a dirty player or an aggressive one.

Brace
Brace
DCA-
The reason that girls are allowed to play varsity boys soccer is Title IX. One of the provisions of Title IX (otherwise known as gender equity), is that institutions receiving federal money must provide the same opportunity for girls as boys. That is not the exact language, but it's close.

That means that if a girl wants to play soccer and the school does not offer a girls soccer program, then the school LEGALLY HAS to allow her the chance to play on the boys team. If they deny the girl a chance to play, then the girl has a legal ground to sue the school for gender discrimination and the school would be in danger of losing $$.

While there is talk of reforming Title IX (something I think needs to be done), as of now that is the law. Try not to take the foul personally. I'm sure that every time you tackle a girl you do not get called for a foul, and I'm sure every team you play does not have girls on it. While I understand it's frustrating (a couple of teams we played when I was with Riverside had girls on them), try to understand that you will probably win that game 6 or 7 to 0 or 1 and you might get called for a foul or two against a girl that game and in the grand scheme of your team's season, it's not that big of a deal.

While I do think Title IX needs to be revised and rewritten, I do think that girls should be allowed to play on boys varsity teams when they attend a school that does not offer varsity girls soccer.

hat-trick
hat-trick
If there was no boys team, would a boy be allowed to play on a girls team? Just wondering...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i think that's a good question. most schools in our area have more boys sports than girls. so chances are that event wouldn't occur. But if it did, like in volleyball, couldn't a guy sue for discrimination just like girl could if she was denied the right to play because there is no girl's team? wouldn't the grounds for arguement be the same?

throw in
throw in
umm, let me just say that i play for palmetto, and DCA didnt come anywehre close to hurting that girl. she wants to be treated just like a guy when she plays soccer, just like kimi said. im sorry that the ref called a couple fouls on you or whatever. every post you have put up on here or replied to you have said something about palmetto, why cant you just drop us DCA?

throw in
throw in
and let me add that she didnt get on here and talk about how much of a "hack" you are, like you did about our whole team... what does that say about YOU?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I probably worded it poorly. I'm not saying that I am physically going to beat the crap out of a girl on an opposing team, but I do feel like that if a girl wants to play in a guys league then she should be treated like a guy. And whoever made the comment about taking advantage of smaller players, that's stupid. Part of being successful in any sport is being able to overpower your opponent. It's the same in soccer, I'm going to take advantage of those smaller than me on the field and I would hope those that are bigger than me would take advantage of me, it's all part of the game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I play 4 years with the boys during high school at pendleton and now i'm a coach at palmetto where we do have 2 girls playing on varsity. when i played i got away with a lot of things people would not get away with. I tell my girls that they will also get away with things. but they are on a boys team to play and you should treat them just like a guy. do not baby them.

goal
goal
I don't like the fact that girls are allowed to play on boys teams in high school. It's ok for youth leagues, but you don't see girls playing baseball in high school. If a school doesn't have a girls team, then maybe they could join another school's team in the same district or make it a club sport. It just looks bad and really kind of downgrades soccer.

And while we're on the topic, can some coaches and parents stop referring to girls soccer as women's soccer? They don't call boys soccer men's soccer and if you are in high school, then technically you are still a "kid".

J
Brace
Brace
J
You have to respect title IX, there is no way around it. When I played high school soccer in Illinois a couple of the top 10 teams in state had girls that played on them. I didn't see any preference from the refs when it came to making calls. Most got shoulder tackled off of the ball just like the guys. I know coaches get mad when you play differently against the girls. I had a coach that would bench you if you didn't play to your full potential and knock girls off of the ball if you were playing against them. Its part of the game, as long as it isn't intentionally rough. I have seen some girls that are way better than guys. My wife was an all state player back in the day, and we have played in some 3 v 3 tourneys and she has torn some guys up. I give them props for being out on the field. My brothers gf also played on a guys U18 team as a keeper in NC, and pounded some guys when they came in to shoot. Its cool to see girls that are that good, and want to play with the guys!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Personally i think having a girl on a guys team makes like someone said earlier 'soccer' look bad...i agree girls should have the right to play but they should like someone said be able to go to a different school in the district or something and play not just play on a guys team...in the Barnwell Classic they had a team iont think it was varsity but still it made most of the people that were there laugh at their team((can we say down grading))...so i think that title needs to be changed....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mane, keep them broads off the field. I scared all the girls in my school away ... I told them if they came out that I would freakin wreck them. No shame in that...

[ February 28, 2005, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Kyle Heise ]

throw in
throw in
let me say this, most of the time schools that are in the same district are rival schools, so why would a girl go to a rival school to play soccer for them, that would be like playign for the enemy, if a girl is good enough to play varsity boys soccer, let her.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If a girl got choosen to play for varsity guys and they start that means something. They have skill. Yes we are smaller but we can hold our grounds. I miss playing with the guys. I really enjoyed it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thats my sister kimi

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
I think there are girls who are def. good enough to play on guys varsity teams, but I don't necessarily think they should just because of its title...Boys High School varsity. There are girl leagues and if their school doesn't offer it, then thats just something they have to deal with. Our school, well all schools i believe, only have girls volleyball...but I would love to see a guys league form...however, why can't guys just play in their league...see there are standards for some sports...there needs to be standards for all sports and girls playing in a guys league shouldn't be allowed

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Look when i played i was not scared of anyone of those guys out there. hell i've hurt player pretty bad in my day and all of it was legal. I would never play for a high school girls team just for the fact most of them suck. i went out there and showed all those guys out there that i was there to play. once they learned that it was on!! so if you dont think girls can hang with guys then your just stupid. I can still take ya'll on

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
riiiiight

goal kick
goal kick
If a girl is cut from the varsity team can she sue?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if girls choose to play boys soccer, then they should be treated just like everyone else. no better, no worse. that is what they chose to get themselves into.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To DCA6767...this is your school's 1st year for having a girls soccer team. What would you suggest other schools, who do not have girls soccer teams, do with the girls who want to play soccer? You seem to do a lot of complaining and seem to enjoy making fun of other soccer players...are you that good? When will we be watching you play in the MLS?

kick off
kick off
well said

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually, that is incorrect. our school (scs) has had a girl's soccer team for a long time...at least ten years, if not more. but, it is not fair to say that girls shouldnt be given the opportunity to play at all. the girls should be given a chance to make the boys team. i know we have some very talented girls at our school who could definitely play with us. dca is just saying that if girls play on the boys varsity team, they should be treated just like anyone else on the field by the refs and players alike. it would be better if these schools had enough interest to form a complete girl's team, but sometimes that doesnt happen.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
...oh and for the record, Soccer-Coach, that little diss to DCA was kinda uncalled for and not completely not on topic...but since you insist on wanting to know his skill level, yes he is that good, argueably (sp) the best sweeper in A soccer...so let's stick with the topic for future reference. thanks pal

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
sorry, *completely not on topic*

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DCA is definatly the best sweeper in 1A soccer. we have had a soccer team for over 20yrs. we have had one since our schoo has started in 1976.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DCA...I was wrong, I thought that you played for Pendleton. This is the 1st year that Pendleton has a girls sorry team. Sorry for the mistake.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again I'm sorry...that's soccer team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No prob.

T
bench
bench
T
I'm sure that it's not the girls choice to play on the Boys Soccer team. She just has the passion to play soccer, just like you and i. If your High School suddenly stopped their soccer program would you just give up on the sport totally? No, you would try to find an alternative team (like the girls are by playing for the Boys team). Who knows, ya might just find your prom date.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if a girl is good enough to play on a high school boys team then stop fussing and let her play i know alot of girls who can play and will due up alot of boys

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have no remorse for a girl playing varsity boys soccer. She has every right to protect herself, but I have every right to treat her like a guy, so if I end up playing a girl, I have no problem shoulder shoving them. I intend to win.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
there is a reason they seperate the two sports to keep it fair
i understand that some school lack the amount of players or talent to have two different teams if a girl is good enough to be on the field then it shouldnt matter that she is a girl and i have seen some girls that could beat the crap out of almost any average starting guy. With that said i believe there should be seperate on the field due to the simple fact that if a guy does get beat he will get angry and possible try to retallate then there just being (female dogs)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so does the law mean that you actually have to play the girl if she isn't the best on the team? i don't see how a school could get sued because the girl sucked really bad at soccer and therefore the coach never let her on the field. however, a couple years ago i played a couple of teams that had girls-silver bluff to name one-and the girls played probably because they were better than other guys sitting on the sb bench.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Alright, I think it is time for my 2 cents.

I am a girl playing on a guys varsity soccer team. My new school does not have a girls varsity soccer team, but I played on one tfor 2 years before coming here. To tell you the truth, I would much rather be playing on a girls team still, but I don't have that choice. Why should I have to inconvenience myself to play for another high school's girls team?

I do not want to be treated any differently when I am played against, by players, refs, or coaches, but I know that it is inevitable. I give it my all in practices and in games to keep up with you guys, and I don't expect to be given any slack. My coach does not have to play me just because I am a girl and I don't expect him to. He has the right to cut me if he feels that I am not up to the caliber of the rest of the team.

I am hurt by the fact that some of you think that when girls play on guys teams that we are disgracing soccer. That is rediculous. I love playing soccer so much and to be told that the situatiion that I am forced into if I want to play makes me a disgrace is caustic.

I think that every time you play a team with girls on it, you should see them as equals, not as disgraces. I cannot control how the refs call the games, but refs make bad calls all of the time, not just when a girl is involved.

I just want to play.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Alrighty then.

I am a girl who learned to play soccer with girls in middle school but has had to play with guys since freshman year, as neither high school that I have attended has had a girls team. I enjoy playing with guys more than with girls; I have always believed that there was less whining on a guys team. Some of you gentleman have proved me wrong.

I have played in games where players talk trash and foul blatantly just because I'm a girl. I have played in games where guys won't touch me for fear of hitting of a girl. I have played in games where refs will card me for almost nothing because I'm a girl and I've played in games where the refs will card anyone who touches me because I'm a girl. None of this has ever been in my control. I play the sport because I want to, and if the only way I can play is on a guy's team, then I'll keep on doing it. Sure, playing co-ed will always bother some people, but us girls can't help that.

We're all just soccer players in the same league and that's how we should, and want to be, treated.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
keep girls out of it yo....it aint right

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sounds like the guys are afraid. i guess society has encouraged this idea of being beat by a girl is worse. i know when we scrimmage our guys team or just play for fun that they try harder to not get schooled. if anything the girls are raising the level of game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
1) Was it necessary to "hammer" the female player in order to "knock her off the ball", or could you have been just as successful with much less aggression?
I agree here, most of the times, you can just fake a girl out (no offense to girls, just that is what I have seen in experience).

quote:
2) When a smaller school does not offer a girls program, do you believe a female deserves the opportunity to play the game without being "hammered" unnecessarily?
I don't agree with this however, I think they should be offered the opportunity to play soccer, if they get hammered then that is what happens. They shouldn't be treated any better, or any worse, just as any other boy that plays.

I also (kinda) agree that girls shouldn't be able to play. If they refuse me (and about a half-dozen other guys) to play volleyball.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
soccersince00

Does Aiken not have a girls team? or did you play for another school in Aiken?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i played for silver bluff.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who the heck cares? Sometimes, if your opponent has a girl on their team, sometimes its an advantage to you. i see your point on the whole fouling thing, but you just gotta live with it.

B
kick off
kick off
B
soccersince00
I say "Let Them Play". You would have been a 4 year letter winner at the Bluff if you had not moved!!

goal
goal
As a coach I would have no problem dropping a male player in favour of a superior female player. I'm pretty sure that many of the female players out there are acutley aware of the different kinds of treatment they can be on the receiving end of; treated as a target by opponents, treated as a weakness to be exploited tactically by opposing coaches, "babied" by officials or as an equal and just let play. I for one think that female players on boys varsity teams, such as the mentioned Palmetto, deserve a lot of respect for even being brave enough to go out and play for a boys team. Have any of you considered how much pressure the girls must be under to perform day-in day-out merely to "justify their place" - I for one would not be first in line for that kind of scrutiny.

As a player, I have never played competitively against a girl. I have seen many, many women play. I have seen women play who I would consider to be easily better than myself and I am playing college at the moment and have played pro for one year. I think that on the whole the female players (and I am generalizing here) are more technically aware and have better technique than the guys whereas the males rely a bit more on their physicality.

And, as a post-script, I don't think I'd notice any difference if I was challenging or being challenged by a girl as my eyes would be on the ball.

C'mon Palmetto!!

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
I agree with this guy

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard