Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When does being physical go too far? Who plays roughest soccer-smaller schools or larger ones? Just curious to what people think?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As far as I'm concerned, anything the ref doesn't see is fair game.

J
world cup
world cup
J
I wouldn't say it's an issue of smaller to larger.. but more quality to ..not so skilled schools.

I've seen and been part of much more violent play against traditionally skilled schools because the players are faster, will approach a 50/50 ball with confidence, etc..

..as opposed to some chump trying to swipe your ankles from behind.

I think both skill levels are capable of playing as "dirty" (though the skilled players are better at getting away with it..so they do it more often and are successful more often)

but..as far as just the overall physical play in a match. I'd say the schools with more skilled players has the edge.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I find that a lot of the smaller schools are physical, but skill also plays a role. Soccer is mainly a finesse sport, but a lot of teams that don't play soccer year round end up with a physical style of play, and it comes down to a matter of skill or not.

I like physical play...and I hate it when little sissy players get up and are all whiney.

"Come on Ref?! Where's the call!?"

Be a man. Play the game...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am one for physical play, whenever i am physical you fight back i like it but when im not you fake a fall
"come on u guys stop faking the falls"

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I deffinately agree that soccer is more "physical" in 1A and 2A soccer simple because you have a large number of football players that know how to hit people football style. In the 3A and 4A games that I've seen I've noticed that the players know how to make hard tackles legally without hacking.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are two kinds of physical play though...the linebacker on the soccer field represents the improper type of physical play (hacking, blatant fouling)...but the more learned soccer player that is physical won't hack as much as lean in and use their torso. 4A soccer, being the most competitive and skilled, has the most physical play in the proper manner. The tempo and physicality on the 4A level is generally higher than lower level teams.

J
world cup
world cup
J
quote:
Originally posted by DCA6767:
I deffinately agree that soccer is more "physical" in 1A and 2A soccer simple because you have a large number of football players that know how to hit people football style. In the 3A and 4A games that I've seen I've noticed that the players know how to make hard tackles legally without hacking.

It has been my experience..that the more serious injuries (torn ligaments, broken bones, concusions) occur in "skilled play" because players are more aggressive in 50/50 situations and just in general play.

Against football players..sure..there is a lot of ankle swiping, and blatant "tackles" ..but..it's just my general impression that the velocity of skilled play is much more dangerous.

Then again..I didn't played many of the purely "we play soccer to condition for football in the off season" teams..

Link Copied to Clipboard