Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
World Cup
World Cup
Doc,

What do you want to know about no SCISA teams being involved this year?

The fact is that this year's field from top to bottom is probably the best we've ever been able to put together with nationally ranked Norman North-OK defending their 2004 tournament championship, a regionally respected program in Ocean Lakes-VA becoming the second Virginia Beach-VA team to visit the Palmetto Cup, and 13 of 14 in-state teams being ranked in their classification's respective poll!

Throw in the notion that Bishop England and Dutch Fork are participating once again after a two-year hiatus for independent reasons and you can see how competitive this tourney will be starting tomorrow.

Plus, several out-of-state programs and some South Carolina teams that wanted to be a part of the 2005 Palmetto Cup couldn't work out the logistics this year due to Spring Break falling in different weeks.

We've been privileged to have several SCISA teams join the Palmetto Cup in the past: Ben Lippen (1996-1A then) Cardinal Newman (2000); Pinewood Prep (2003-04); Porter-Gaud (1999-2000-01-02-03-04) and hope to have some others involved in the future.

Kyle Heise
Palmetto Cup Tournament Director

World Cup
World Cup
Palmetto Cup Soccer Tourney hosts 16 strong teams
3/29/05, By Jim Seay, The Columbia Star

Kicking around some soccer facts, Brookland-Cayce and Airport High Schools are the sites for the 13th Annual Palmetto Cup being played now through this Saturday. The tournament, hosted by B-C, started Wednesday and features some top echelon boy's teams.

The field boasts of nationally powerful teams Norman North from Norman, OK and Ocean Lakes of Virginia Beach, VA.

There are 14 SC schools in the tourney, 13 of them in the Top 15 in their respective classifications by the this week's SC High School Coaches Association's poll.

Among the state's Class AAAA schools are No. 2 Wando (11-0-1) fifth ranked Dutch Fork (9-3), No. 6 Fort Mill (9-1), eighth place Spring Valley (10-4), No. 9 Summerville (7-3-1), 13th rated Lexington (6-5), No 14 Ridge View (9-4), No 15 Hilton Head (6-3-1) and unranked West Florence.

In addition to the No. 8 B-C Bearcats (6-6) there are two other Columbia vicinity schools in the Class AAA field. They are fifth ranked A.C. Flora (9-2) and No. 7 Dreher (7-4). Daniel of Central ( 6-2), the No. 6 team in the classification, is also in that group.

Multiple Class AA champions Bishop England (7-5) is ranked No. 2 and the lone entry from its classification.

Individual tickets are $4 each. But, tournament passes providing admittance for all remaining games may be purchased for $12.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I trust that you are not saying that scisa schools are not as quality as the competion in the tournament.

J
world cup
world cup
J
..overreacting?

hat-trick
hat-trick
probably so...I'm not trying to start something. And Scisa teams have done well in the past. I hope that they'll participate in the future, esp. when the tournament moves to 24 teams, that'll be exciting. I'll be out there tomorow watchin games. Hope to see some good soccer.

B
goal
goal
B
This year the only SCISA team that would be competitive with this field is Cardinal Newman.

coach
coach
Nice 1st paragraph of an article on the Palmetto Cup tournament. Anyone with a subscription who can paste the rest of the article?
http://scvarsity.rivals.com/

B
goal
goal
B
So Bdad, Cardinal Newman is your favorite for the SCISA title this year? Not saying I necessarily disagree, but it depends on your definition of competitive, as to say they are the only team that should be in the tournament.

The fact remains that SCISA teams will at times be very competitive within other classifications, however, there competitiveness is much more volatile. This volatility is due primarily to size of school.

If the tournament expands to 24 teams, then I think that it would become more "normal" to see SCISA teams particpating year in and year out.

Hopefully, Pinewood will get a return trip next year, and with it start a normal playing spot.

I can understand the reasoning behind Pinewood not being there this year, with the amount of players lost to graduation. Conversely, they will only lose 2 starters to graduation this year, and then only 2 current starters to graduation the next year.

The future is bright at Pinewood.

B
goal
goal
B
Bear, in fact I do think Cardinal Newman is the favorite this year. By competitive, I mean capable of possibly winning their group,Of course depending on the competition within that group.I base my assesment on the fact Pinewood is a young team and no matter the skill level it is hard for 8th, 9th and 10th graders to compete with senior dominated teams. I believe Pinewood can and will compete favorably with this level of competition over the next several years.I certainly meant no disrespect to Pinewood. After the whipping my guys recieved at the hands of Pinewood, they certainly have our respect.I too believe Pinewood has a bright future.

coach
coach
Card Newman is mostly Srs and Jrs. with a lot of club ball experience. Thats why Card Newman is the only quality team in SCISA this year.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard