Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#24437 03/24/05 04:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have the schedule for the Palmetto cup? I have seen the schedules on some of the teams sites, I was just wondering if there was a master schedule. Thanks.

coach
coach
Which one is the Group of Death?

GROUP A -- Brookland-Cayce, Dutch Fork, Ocean Lakes-VA, West Florence

GROUP B -- Daniel, Hilton Head, Norman North-OK, Wando

GROUP C -- Bishop England, A.C. Flora, Lexington, Ridge View

GROUP D -- Dreher, Fort Mill, Spring Valley, Summerville

Wednesday, March 30 @ The Cage
3:00 pm, Dreher vs. Spring Valley
5:00 pm, Lexington vs. Ridge View
7:00 pm, Brookland-Cayce vs. Dutch Fork

Thursday, March 31 @ Eagle Stadium
10:00 am, Norman North-OK vs. Daniel
2:00 pm, Ridge View vs. A.C. Flora
3:45 pm, Summerville vs. Dreher
5:30 pm, Daniel vs. Wando
7:15 pm, Hilton Head vs. Norman North-OK

Thursday, March 31 @ The Cage
10:00 am, Wando vs. Hilton Head
2:30 pm, Spring Valley vs. Fort Mill
4:15 pm, Dutch Fork vs. Ocean Lakes-VA
6:00 pm, Brookland-Cayce vs. West Florence
7:45 pm, Bishop England vs. A.C. Flora

Friday, April 1 @ Eagle Stadium
9:00 am, West Florence vs. Ocean Lakes-VA
10:45 am, Spring Valley vs. Summerville
2:00 pm, Fort Mill vs. Dreher
3:45 pm, Dutch Fork vs. West Florence
5:30 pm, A.C. Flora vs. Lexington
7:15 pm, Summerville vs. Fort Mill

Friday, April 1 @ The Cage
9:00 am, Daniel vs. Hilton Head
10:45 am, Lexington vs. Bishop England
4:00 pm, Norman North-OK vs. Wando
5:45 pm, Ridge View vs. Bishop England
7:30 pm, Ocean Lakes-VA vs. Brookland-Cayce

Saturday, April 2 @ Eagle Stadium
9:30 am, Group C#1 vs. Group D#1 -- Semifinals
11:30 pm, Group C#4 vs. Group D#4
1:30 pm, Group C#3 vs. Group D#3
3:30 pm, Group C#2 vs. Group D#2

Saturday, April 2 @ The Cage
9:30 am, Group A#1 vs. Group B#1 -- Semifinals
12:30 pm, Group A#4 vs. Group B#4
2:30 pm, Group A#3 vs. Group B#3
4:30 pm, Group A#2 vs. Group B#2
7:00 pm, 9:30 am A/B Winner vs. C/D Winner -- Championship

[ March 28, 2005, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Kyle Heise ]

J
world cup
world cup
J
What's the scoop on Ocean Lakes?

World Cup
World Cup
Palmetto Cup title sponsors for 2005 include Captain George's Seafood Restaurant, the City of Cayce, Grecian Gardens Restaurant, Lesesne Industries, Lloyd's Soccer Sports, and SCSOCCER.COM. The Bearcat Soccer program would like to thank these sponsors for their continued support of our soccer program!

Brookland-Cayce Soccer
http://www.scsoccer.com/bcsoccer/

Palmetto Cup Directions & Hotels
http://www.scsoccer.com/bcsoccer/pc_directions.htm

Palmetto Cup History
http://www.scsoccer.com/bcsoccer/pchistory.htm

World Cup
World Cup
Here's a thread from this past fall concerning the 2005 Palmetto Cup.

World Cup
World Cup
Just bumping this schedule and information up for the Palmetto Cup this week.

Hope the rain subsides and we get some great weather for Wednesday-Saturday.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
2004striker i wouldnt say that there is just one "group of death" b/c every single group in this tournament is extremely competitive. I just hope that the weather holds off so the tourney weekend is nice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why no SCISA teams this year? Scheduling, talent level, spring break? Pinewood and Porter have performed well in the past several years. Why were they left out this year?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can't wait to see who comes out of the Wando, norman, hilton head, and daniel bracket.

ANY PREDICTIONS?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it should be interesting to see who comes out of group c- bishop england, flora, rv, and lexington are all solid teams, anyone of them could win the group

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Norman couldn't be any worse than last year, returning 8 starters. I wish SA, Irmo, NW or Eastside could have a go at them, but it will be interesting to see how Wando stacks up.

J
world cup
world cup
J
GROUP A -- Ocean Lakes
GROUP B -- Norman North
GROUP C -- Flora
GROUP D -- Dreher

Final - Dreher vs Norman North

Champion: Norman North

All of these groups are incredibly even..so..I wouldn't be surprised if none of those picks were right.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I'm gonna go bc, norman north, fort mill and Lexington winning their groups with Norman north the champions

World Cup
World Cup
Palmetto Cup, St. Viator Tourneys on Tap This Week
Joe Trost, StudentSportsSoccer.com Editor

Some may disagree, but Brookland-Cayce boys soccer coach Kevin Heise isn't buying it.

"Some people in California, Texas or Florida might think spring soccer is weak for high school boys," Heise said. "But there are 16 or 17 states playing in the spring, and that's a quarter of this country. And when you put those states together, you have some pretty good players and teams."

Soccer fans throughout the Southeast will get a firsthand look at what the spring season has to offer when the 13th Annual Palmetto Cup kicks off Wednesday in South Carolina.

The loaded 16-team field features a handful of FAB 50 teams including Norman North (Oklahoma) and Ocean Lakes (Virginia). Thirteen of the other 14 teams from South Carolina are ranked in the state's most recent poll.

The tournament has undergone numerous changes in the 13-year history. It started as the "Brookland-Cayce Classic" in 1993, and then was titled the "Spring Break Shootout" from 1994-97 before changing to the "Palmetto State Spring Break Shootout." In 2002, the event ushered in a change to the "Palmetto Cup" to reflect the diversity of teams competing.

"We started this tournament in 1993 and only had four teams at the time," Heise said. "From there we went to eight teams, 12 teams and finally to 16 back in 1999. There is talk that if we find another site that we'll expand to 24 teams very soon."

Annually, the Palmetto Cup attracts countless college coaches each spring and great crowds.

"The kids really look forward to this tournament," Heise said. "Historically, we've always had a number of very good programs. Soccer has improved a lot over just the past five years. You now have true soccer people involved and not the assistant football coach. It's exciting, because the competition is great and it's only going to get better."

The Palmetto Cup is played at two sites - The Cage at Brookland-Cayce High School in Cayce and Eagle Stadium at Airport High School in West Columbia.

"We want to get teams from other states," Heise said. "Our goal is to make this a regional high school tournament. We're getting closer every year."

Additional information may be obtained by visiting 2005 Palmetto Cup.

*On the girls side, the St. Viator (Ill.) Tournament starts Monday with a number of FAB 50 teams facing off. Lake Zurich, St. Viator and St. Charles North are three of the powerhouses in the field, while Fremd, Naperville North and others are expected to make some noise.

The weather in the Chicagoland area is expected to be warm this week, which hasn't been the case in recent years.

Nevertheless, a number of players will be missing from teams because of spring break.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where can I find the scores to last years Palmetto Cup?

World Cup
World Cup
Hunter, look up earlier in this thread for the link to the Palmetto Cup History section. It's all there, so do a little research in advance if you don't mind. [Wink]

World Cup
World Cup
Cayce, SC Forecast -- Weather Channel

WED - 80/52 Partly Cloudy, 0% precipitation
-----
THU - 80/58 Partly Cloudy, 10% precipitation
-----
FRI - 74/47 Thunder Storms, 60% precipitation
-----
SAT - 61/42 Partly Cloudy, 20% precipitation

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No offense to any of the other groups, but group b is deffinately the best and whoever wins that group should win the whole thing. although I don't know anything about ocean lakes

World Cup
World Cup
Palmetto Cup
3/29/05, The State

Brookland-Cayce will play host to the 13th annual Palmetto Cup Wednesday-Saturday at The Cage in Cayce and at Eagle Stadium at Airport High School in West Columbia.

Tournament passes can be purchased for $12, and they are valid for all four days. Admission to individual matches is $4.

The 16-team field features national power Norman North of Norman, Okla., (the defending tournament champion) and Ocean Lakes of Virginia Beach, Va., as well as 14 South Carolina teams, 13 of which are ranked in their respective classification's poll this week.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, I repeat my question for those in the know. Why no SCISA teams?

World Cup
World Cup
Doc,

What do you want to know about no SCISA teams being involved this year?

The fact is that this year's field from top to bottom is probably the best we've ever been able to put together with nationally ranked Norman North-OK defending their 2004 tournament championship, a regionally respected program in Ocean Lakes-VA becoming the second Virginia Beach-VA team to visit the Palmetto Cup, and 13 of 14 in-state teams being ranked in their classification's respective poll!

Throw in the notion that Bishop England and Dutch Fork are participating once again after a two-year hiatus for independent reasons and you can see how competitive this tourney will be starting tomorrow.

Plus, several out-of-state programs and some South Carolina teams that wanted to be a part of the 2005 Palmetto Cup couldn't work out the logistics this year due to Spring Break falling in different weeks.

We've been privileged to have several SCISA teams join the Palmetto Cup in the past: Ben Lippen (1996-1A then) Cardinal Newman (2000); Pinewood Prep (2003-04); Porter-Gaud (1999-2000-01-02-03-04) and hope to have some others involved in the future.

Kyle Heise
Palmetto Cup Tournament Director

World Cup
World Cup
Palmetto Cup Soccer Tourney hosts 16 strong teams
3/29/05, By Jim Seay, The Columbia Star

Kicking around some soccer facts, Brookland-Cayce and Airport High Schools are the sites for the 13th Annual Palmetto Cup being played now through this Saturday. The tournament, hosted by B-C, started Wednesday and features some top echelon boy's teams.

The field boasts of nationally powerful teams Norman North from Norman, OK and Ocean Lakes of Virginia Beach, VA.

There are 14 SC schools in the tourney, 13 of them in the Top 15 in their respective classifications by the this week's SC High School Coaches Association's poll.

Among the state's Class AAAA schools are No. 2 Wando (11-0-1) fifth ranked Dutch Fork (9-3), No. 6 Fort Mill (9-1), eighth place Spring Valley (10-4), No. 9 Summerville (7-3-1), 13th rated Lexington (6-5), No 14 Ridge View (9-4), No 15 Hilton Head (6-3-1) and unranked West Florence.

In addition to the No. 8 B-C Bearcats (6-6) there are two other Columbia vicinity schools in the Class AAA field. They are fifth ranked A.C. Flora (9-2) and No. 7 Dreher (7-4). Daniel of Central ( 6-2), the No. 6 team in the classification, is also in that group.

Multiple Class AA champions Bishop England (7-5) is ranked No. 2 and the lone entry from its classification.

Individual tickets are $4 each. But, tournament passes providing admittance for all remaining games may be purchased for $12.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I trust that you are not saying that scisa schools are not as quality as the competion in the tournament.

J
world cup
world cup
J
..overreacting?

hat-trick
hat-trick
probably so...I'm not trying to start something. And Scisa teams have done well in the past. I hope that they'll participate in the future, esp. when the tournament moves to 24 teams, that'll be exciting. I'll be out there tomorow watchin games. Hope to see some good soccer.

B
goal
goal
B
This year the only SCISA team that would be competitive with this field is Cardinal Newman.

coach
coach
Nice 1st paragraph of an article on the Palmetto Cup tournament. Anyone with a subscription who can paste the rest of the article?
http://scvarsity.rivals.com/

B
goal
goal
B
So Bdad, Cardinal Newman is your favorite for the SCISA title this year? Not saying I necessarily disagree, but it depends on your definition of competitive, as to say they are the only team that should be in the tournament.

The fact remains that SCISA teams will at times be very competitive within other classifications, however, there competitiveness is much more volatile. This volatility is due primarily to size of school.

If the tournament expands to 24 teams, then I think that it would become more "normal" to see SCISA teams particpating year in and year out.

Hopefully, Pinewood will get a return trip next year, and with it start a normal playing spot.

I can understand the reasoning behind Pinewood not being there this year, with the amount of players lost to graduation. Conversely, they will only lose 2 starters to graduation this year, and then only 2 current starters to graduation the next year.

The future is bright at Pinewood.

B
goal
goal
B
Bear, in fact I do think Cardinal Newman is the favorite this year. By competitive, I mean capable of possibly winning their group,Of course depending on the competition within that group.I base my assesment on the fact Pinewood is a young team and no matter the skill level it is hard for 8th, 9th and 10th graders to compete with senior dominated teams. I believe Pinewood can and will compete favorably with this level of competition over the next several years.I certainly meant no disrespect to Pinewood. After the whipping my guys recieved at the hands of Pinewood, they certainly have our respect.I too believe Pinewood has a bright future.

coach
coach
Card Newman is mostly Srs and Jrs. with a lot of club ball experience. Thats why Card Newman is the only quality team in SCISA this year.

B
goal
goal
B
Bdad,

I didn't take it as disrespect. I think the SCISA consensus is CN is the favorite this year. But that's what the season/post season is for.

My real point was that I understand why the tournament folks don't have a SCISA team this year. But just as they knew Pinewood lost many seniors, I wanted them to know that Pinewood won't be losing many for the next couple of years.

World Cup
World Cup
March 30, 2005

Palmetto Cup Kicks Off Soccer Action
John Devlin, SCVarsity.com Staff

From humble beginnings, the Palmetto Cup soccer extravaganza has evolved into one of the top spring high school tournaments in the nation.

In fact, the Palmetto Cup is considered the No. 1 spring-season prep affair by Student Sports.

The 13th annual event begins Wednesday and runs through Saturday at Brookland-Cayce and Airport high schools, and has attracted a field of 16 teams, including nationally recognized Norman North from Oklahoma.

“We never figured the tournament would get this big or reach this level of prestige,” said tournament director Kyle Heise, who along with his brother, Kevin, the B-C coach, launched the Palmetto Cup as a four-team event in Kevin’s third year in charge of the Bearcats.

“The original idea was to have something that would bridge the gap between the first and second halves of the season,” said Heise. “In those days, everybody was fired up during the first half, then after a long time off during spring break, it was tough to get back that early focus.”

The original field included Brookland-Cayce, Dutch Fork, Mauldin and South Florence.

Since that first halting step, the Palmetto Cup has experienced steady growth. The field was expanded to eight teams in 1994, to 12 teams in 1999 and to 16 teams in 2003.

“It’s quite a job to put on the Palmetto Cup,” said Heise. “It takes between $8-10,000, and a lot of help from the volunteers who make the thing run well. And we certainly couldn't do it without the tremendous support we’ve gotten from our local sponsors.”

Indeed, the Palmetto Cup has become something of a showcase for Cayce and the West Columbia area in general.

“We are proud of the fact that we’ve been able to promote our area communities,” said Heise. “And because of the impact of the tournament, we’re starting to get other sources of revenue. The West Metro Chamber of Commerce and the City of Cayce have come on board and both have been a tremendous additions.”

In addition to Norman North, the out-of-state contingent includes Ocean Lakes from the soccer hotbed Virginia Beach area.

The rest of the field features a parade of ranked South Carolina teams – Wando, Spring Valley, Dutch Fork, Ridge View, Fort Mill, Hilton Head, Summerville, Lexington, Daniel, Dreher, Bishop England and host Brookland-Cayce.

The event begins with a tripleheader at B-C’s The Cage on Wednesday – Dreher vs. Spring Valley (3 p.m.), Lexington vs. Ridge View (5 p.m.) and Brookland-Cayce vs. Dutch Fork (7 p.m.).

Group play runs with five games at The Cage and Airport’s Eagle Stadium on both Thursday and Friday.

Elimination games run Saturday with championship bracket semifinal games at both sites at 9:30 a.m. and the championship finale set for 7 p.m. at The Cage.

“There is almost a carnival atmosphere at the tournament,” said Heise. “It’s a celebration of soccer, and because there is no real pressure, or consequences about winning or losing, the teams generally play a looser, more wide-open style of soccer than you see, say, during the state playoffs. It’s almost like what you see during Cup play in Europe and in South America. It’s just a nice break for teams – a chance to see some top competition, but also to have a little fun before the season starts to turn serious again.”

Norman North is the defending Palmetto Cup champion, and Heise expects the visitors to have another good showing.

“Norman North has a great program, one that has a very large traveling budget,” said Heise. “They raise money for the program by selling adult beverages at Oklahoma University football games. It’s a school that is somewhat similar to Dreher, in that their school community has a lot of ties to the university. We’re glad that they’ve enjoyed coming to our state to play.”

Heise said the only disappointment through the years has been the inability to invite teams from neighboring Georgia.

“The problem Georgia teams face is the state rule that does not allow their soccer teams to play more than one match a day,” he said.

Another plus for the Palmetto Cup is the number of college coaches who attend, looking to pick up late additions to their recruiting classes.

“Most college programs have their classes basically set by February, but this is a chance for coaches to fill late needs,” said Heise. “This is especially true at the Division II level. Coaches can come and see a lot of players, and maybe find a player that fits their most immediate needs.”

B
goal
goal
B
Striker, Heathwood and Pinewood are both quality teams. Just because they can't compete with Norman North doesn't mean they are not a quality team. I believe Cardinal Newman and Heathwood both would be competitive in 3A this year. maybe not win , but they could hold their own.

hat-trick
hat-trick
well, cardinal newman isn't much better than pinewood, heathwood, or ben lippen in my opinion. But we shall all see, after ben lippen and cardinal newman, and heathwood all play eachother. But cardinal Newman did lose to dreher 4-1.

hat-trick
hat-trick
P.S. only about 4 or 5 cardinal newman players play club.

J
world cup
world cup
J
so..how about an update? a few matches had to have been over by now..?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeah dont hold out

coach
coach
The only result I know is
Spring Valley 2 Dreher 0. Neither team looked very impressive and should not win their group.

World Cup
World Cup
Palmetto Cup Day One Results

Match #1 -- Spring Valley 2-0 Dreher
Halftime -- Spring Valley 2-0 Dreher

Match #2 -- Lexington 6-1 Ridge View
Halftime -- Lexington 2-1 Ridge View

Match #3 -- Brookland-Cayce 4-4 Dutch Fork
Halftime -- Dutch Fork 2-0 Brookland-Cayce

Game reports will be posted later tonight. Great first day (17 goals in three matches).

Spring Valley 2, Dreher 0
Cayce, SC
Goals: (SV) Sean Flynn, Chase Rowell; Saves: (SV) Davis Jenkins 4; (D) George Rushe 2, Ty Ruun 1; Records: (SV) 11-4; (D) 7-5.

Lexington 6, Ridge View 1
Cayce, SC
Goals: (L) Reel Callison, Paul Fisher, Jacob Hester, Brett Keatley, Joseph Ngong, Jamie Wingard; (RV) David Casey; Assists: (L) Thomas Gorman, Keatley; (RV) Kyle Hughes; Saves: (L) Will Faulkner 5; (RV) Matt Born 5, J.M. Brumbaugh 1; Records: (L) 7-5; (RV) 9-4.

Brookland-Cayce 4, Dutch Fork 4
Cayce, SC
Goals: (DF) Steven Goulet, Danny Cates (2), Drew Sams; (BC) Carlos Farias-Perez (2), Andrew Evans (2); Assists: (DF) Goulet; (BC) Evans, Les Sonefeld, Caio Gaspar (2); Saves: (DF) Joey Scribner-Howard 2; (BC) J.C. Gypin 3; Records: (DF) 9-3-1; (BC) 6-6-1.

Standings
Group A -- Brookland-Cayce (6), Dutch Fork (6), Ocean Lakes, West Florence
Group B -- Daniel, Hilton Head, Norman North, Wando
Group C -- Lexington (9), Ridge View (1), Bishop England, A.C. Flora
Group D -- Spring Valley (9), Dreher (0), Fort Mill, Summerville

J
world cup
world cup
J

brace
brace
What does that mean?

world cup
world cup
My SV prediction for Group D is looking good.

J
Brace
Brace
J
I just don't see SV going very far. So what that they beat Dreher, Chapin Beat Dreher 4-2 not too long ago. Chapin isn't a bad team, but they have been getting beat by good 4A teams. I think that out of Group D you are going to probably have Summerville or FM go on. SV is not playing superior soccer at the moment, and is going to be beat by either Summerville or FM.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are the games still on for today?

J
world cup
world cup
J
Why..is SC in some decade long drought..and then it won't stop raining for 3 years..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whats going on with the games? Are tonights games going to be played if it clears up?

Brace
Brace
Games are on unless lighting intervenes. All games are running on schedule.

Brace
Brace
Results from Thursday action at the 13th Annual Palmetto Cup:

Norman North (Norman, OK) 4, D.W. Daniel 3
W. Columbia, SC
Goals: (NN) Brandon Jack (2), Daniel McCain, Tyler Brady; (D) Palmer Dill, Sonesh Amin, Stephen Tolan; Assists: (NN) McCain, Austin Bynum; (D) Tolan; Saves: (NN) Matt Straight 1; (D) David Leininger, 4, Palmer Dill 2; Records: (NN) 3-0; (D) 6-3.

Wando 2, Hilton Head 1
Records: Wando (13-0-1); Hilton Head (6-4-1)
Cayce, SC

Other Finals:

From Eagle Stadium:
Ridge View 1:0 A. C. Flora
Summerville 2:0 Dreher
Wando 3:0 D.W. Daniel

From The Cage:
Fort Mill 1:1 Spring Valley
Dutch Fork 2:1 Ocean Lakes (VA)
Brookland-Cayce 5:0 West Florence

Updates will be posted as we have time.

Matches in progress:

In the 40th Minute: Hilton Head 1:2 Norman North (OK)
In the 15th Minute: Bishop England 1:0 A.C. Flora

world cup
world cup
Hang on Fort Mill, hang on!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm glad to see that D-Dub could put up three goals against Norman-North and stay within one goal in the end. Although it wasn't a win, it sounds like an impressive showing all the same.

Go Lions!

world cup
world cup
FM can only blame themselves for not finishing their chances. By not scoring more than one goal, they allow the other team to stay in the game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bishop England was beating A.C. Flora 2-0 with 15 minutes left. BE was dominating the game and the score could have been much worse. Hilton Head tied Norman North 3-3.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BE finishes with a 3-1 win over AC Flora. Flora had a good number of cramps/injuries which limited their game-ending attack.

J
world cup
world cup
J
..good thing I don't bet.

World Cup
World Cup
Listed below are the standings/results/scores for the first two days of the 2005 Palmetto Cup hosted by Brookland-Cayce High School.

Group A
Brookland-Cayce (1-0-1, 16 points)
Dutch Fork (1-0-1, 14 points)
Ocean Lakes-VA (0-1-0, 1 point)
West Florence (0-1-0, 0 points)

Group B
Wando (2-0-0, 18 points)
Norman North-OK (1-0-1, 15 points)
Hilton Head (0-1-1, 7 points)
Daniel (0-2-0, 3 points)

Group C
Lexington (1-0-0, 9 points)
Bishop England (1-0-0, 9 points)
Ridge View (1-1-0, 9 points)
A.C. Flora (0-2-0, 1 point)

Group D
Spring Valley (1-0-1, 13 points)
Summerville (1-0-0, 9 points)
Fort Mill (0-0-1, 4 points)
Dreher (0-2-0, 0 points)

Wednesday, March 30
Spring Valley 2-0 Dreher
Lexington 6-1 Ridge View
Brookland-Cayce 4-4 Dutch Fork

Thursday, March 31 @ Airport HS
Norman North 4-3 Daniel
Ridge View 1-0 A.C. Flora
Summerville 2-0 Dreher
Wando 3-0 Daniel
Hilton Head 3-3 Norman North
Wando 2-1 Hilton Head
Fort Mill 1-1 Spring Valley
Dutch Fork 2-1 Ocean Lakes
Brookland-Cayce 5-0 West Florence
Bishop England 3-1 A.C. Flora

Friday, April 1 Schedule @ Airport HS
9 am - Ocean Lakes vs. West Florence
10:45 am - Spring Valley vs. Summerville
2 pm - Dreher vs. Fort Mill
3:45 pm - Dutch Fork vs. West Florence
5:30 pm - A.C. Flora vs. Lexington
7:15 pm - Fort Mill vs. Summerville

Friday, April 1 Schedule @ Brookland-Cayce HS)
9 am - Daniel vs. Hilton Head
10:45 am - Bishop England vs. Lexington
4 pm- Norman North vs. Wando
5:45 pm - Bishop England vs. Ridge View
7:30 pm - Brookland-Cayce vs. Ocean Lakes

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello and thanks for letting those of us who can't make it to the games stay updated. I look forward to hearing about the games from you. I am a Norman North fan and the team looks forward to going to SC whenever they can. This is two years in a row! I had a relative play on last years team. A team that graduated about 16 seniors and now has only 3 players that started or was a first sub. However, we'll do our best.

world cup
world cup
Can I get directions from Charlotte to Eagle Field? Is it at Airport HS?

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Hurst i can't give you exact directions but yes it is at Aiport HS so if you know where that is the stadium is right beside the school. And does anyone know the score of this mornings game b/w Ocean Lakes vs West Florence or Daniel vs Hilton Head??

Brace
Brace
Directions are posted earlier in this thread (simply off I-26, exit 113 towards the Cola Airport and take a right on Boston Avenue).

Scoring updates for today:

Hilton Head 5:0 Daniel
West Florence 2:1 Ocean Lakes (VA)
Spring Valley 0:0 Summerville (halftime)
Lexington 0:1 Bishop England (halftime)

Brace
Brace
Here are Friday's results from the 2005 Palmetto Cup:

Finals:

West Florence 2:1 Ocean Lakes
at Eagle Stadium

Goals: (WF) Edward Lloyd, Joseph Hoefer; (OL) Scott Ankers; Saves: (WF) Jonathan Quarterman, 6; (OL) Jordan Martin, 3; Records: (WF) 5-6, (OL) 2-3.

Spring Valley 1:2 Summerville
at Eagle Stadium

Goals: (Sum) Henry Bennett, John Griffith; (SV) Patrick Clements; Assists: (Sum) Brad Stephens, Keenan Miller, Bennett; (SV) Sean Flynn; Records: (Sum) 10-3-1; (SV) 11-5-1.

From the Cage:
Lexington 0:2 Bishop England
Hilton Head 5:0 Daniel

It is pretty busy around here so we will update as often as we can. DE

J
Brace
Brace
J
Nice job Summerville! I'd like to see you guys get a shot at playing NN!

World Cup
World Cup
2005 Palmetto Cup
The Cage, April 1

Hilton Head 5-0 Daniel
Goals: (HH) Carlos Chirinos 2, Cristian Gandini, Diego Zanandreas, own goal. Assists: (HH) Gandini, Paul Vecchione, Justin Fox. Saves: (HH) Mike McCullion 2; (D) David Leininger 7, Palmer Dill 1. Shots: (HH) 18; (D) 4. Halftime: HH 3-0 D. PC Record: (HH) 1-1-1; (D) 0-3-0.

Bishop England 2-0 Lexington
Goals: (BE) Grant Hunter, Kyle Smith. Assists: (BE) James Ricciardone, Smith. Saves: (BE) Phillip Ricciardone 1; (L) Will Faulkner 3. Shots: (BE) 7; (L) 6. Halftime: BE 1-0 L. PC Record: (BE) 2-0-0; (L) 1-1-0.

World Cup
World Cup
Listed below are the standings/results/scores for the first two days of the 2005 Palmetto Cup hosted by Brookland-Cayce High School.

Group A
Brookland-Cayce (1-0-1, 16 points, 9 GF, 4 GA)
Dutch Fork (1-0-1, 14 points, 6 GF, 5 GA)
West Florence (1-1-0, 8 points, 2 GF, 6 GA)
Ocean Lakes-VA (0-2-0, 2 points, 2 GF, 4 GA)

Group B
Wando (2-0-0, 18 points, 5 GF, 1 GA)
Hilton Head (1-1-1, 17 points, 9 GF, 5 GA)
Norman North-OK (1-0-1, 15 points, 7 GF, 6 GA)
Daniel (0-3-0, 3 points, 3 GF, 12 GA)

Group C
Bishop England (2-0-0, 18 points, 5 GF, 1 GA)
Lexington (1-1-0, 9 points, 6 GF, 3 GA)
Ridge View (1-1-0, 9 points, 2 GF, 6 GA)
A.C. Flora (0-2-0, 1 point, 1 GF, 4 GA)

Group D
Summerville (2-0-0, 17 points, 4 GF, 1 GA)
Spring Valley (1-1-1, 14 points, 4 GF, 4 GA)
Fort Mill (0-0-1, 2 points, 1 GF, 1 GA, 1 straight red card)
Dreher (0-2-0, 0 points, 0 GF, 4 GA)

Wednesday, March 30 (17 Goals, 3 Matches, 5.67 Goals Per Game Average)
Spring Valley 2-0 Dreher
Lexington 6-1 Ridge View

Thursday, March 31 (36 Goals, 10 Matches, 3.60 Goals Per Game Average)
Norman North 4-3 Daniel
Summerville 2-0 Dreher
Wando 3-0 Daniel
Wando 2-1 Hilton Head

Friday, April 1 Schedule (42 Goals, 11 Matches, 3.82 Goals Per Game Average)
West Florence 2-1 Ocean Lakes
Summerville 2-1 Spring Valley
Fort Mill 5-3 Dreher
Dutch Fork 6-1 West Florence
Lexington 2-1 A.C. Flora
Fort Mill 0-0 Summerville
Hilton Head 5-0 Daniel
Norman North 3-0 Wando
Ridge View 3-2 Bishop England
Brookland-Cayce 3-0 Ocean Lakes

world cup
world cup
Need a Fort Mill - Dreher halftime score?

Also, I assume I go I-26 West when I-77 ends in order to get to Airport?

Brace
Brace
Fort Mill 3:2 Dreher (Halftime)

Brace
Brace
68th minute

Fort Mill 3:3 Dreher

Exciting match!

Brace
Brace
70th minute

Fort Mill 4:3 Dreher

world cup
world cup
Last time I told FM to hang on the ref swallowed his whistle!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just by looking at the scores, it seems Norman North isn't as strong as years past (particulary last year), I don't think they allowed one goal last year in the Palmetto Cup. Looks like a Wando vs. Summervile final

world cup
world cup
If FM hangs on, the FM - Summerville match tonight could be a good one!

Brace
Brace
Final from Eagle Stadium at Airport HS

Fort Mill 5:3 Dreher

world cup
world cup
If FM beats Summerville tonight do they advance?

I assume Summerville goes through with a draw.

Brace
Brace
Please look at the end of this thread for the updated scores and points. Thanks!

world cup
world cup
I can't find the point system. I'm assuming:

win = 6 points
draw = 3 points
goal = 1 point each (max 3)
shutout = 1 point

Maximum points for a victory is 10.

FM trails Summerville by 6. A FM victory by any score will get them the Group championship?

hat-trick
hat-trick
It looks that way, but they can't get any more red cards.

world cup
world cup
Yep....no more red cards.

Brace
Brace
you are correct in your assumption, however the point system is online at the Bearcat Soccer website ... but for your convenience, here is a recap of the points system:

6 points for a Win, 3 points for a Tie, 1 point for every goal up to three, 1 point for a shutout, 0 points for a loss, -1 point for an accumulated red card (two yellow cards), -2 points for a straight red card, 10 points maximum for each match.

Group Play Tie-breaker: (1) Head-to-head competition; (2) Goal differential; (3) Goals against; (4) Goals for; (5) Penalty Kick Shootout.

Brace
Brace
Dutch Fork 6:1 West Florence (final)
Norman North 3:0 Wando (final)

J
Brace
Brace
J
Hey Dave, have you heard anything about the NN Wando game score yet? Are they at the half yet?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GO NN!!

Brace
Brace
Listed below are the standings/results/scores/parings through Friday action at the 2005 Palmetto Cup hosted by Brookland-Cayce High School:

Group A (Points are final)
Brookland-Cayce (2-0-1, 26 points, 12 GF, 4 GA)
Dutch Fork (2-0-1, 23 points, 12 GF, 6 GA)
West Florence (1-2-0, 9 points, 3 GF, 12 GA)
Ocean Lakes-VA (0-3-0, 2 points, 2 GF, 7 GA)

Group B (Points are final)
Norman North-OK (2-0-1, 25 points, 10 GF, 6 GA)
Wando (2-1-0, 18 points, 5 GF, 4 GA)
Hilton Head (1-1-1, 17 points, 9 GF, 5 GA)
Daniel (0-3-0, 3 points, 3 GF, 12 GA)

Group C (Points are final)
Bishop England (2-1-0, 20 points, 7 GF, 4 GA)
Ridge View (2-1-0, 18 points, 5 GF, 8 GA)
Lexington (2-1-0, 17 points, 8 GF, 4 GA)
A.C. Flora (0-3-0, 2 points, 2 GF, 6 GA)

Group D (Points are final)
Summerville (2-0-1, 21 points, 4 GF, 1 GA)
Fort Mill (1-0-2, 15 points, 6 GF, 4 GA, 1 straight red card)
Spring Valley (1-1-1, 14 points, 4 GF, 4 GA)
Dreher (0-3-0, 3 points, 3 GF, 9 GA)

Wednesday, March 30 (17 Goals, 3 Matches, 5.67 Goals Per Game Average)
Spring Valley 2-0 Dreher
Lexington 6-1 Ridge View

Thursday, March 31 (36 Goals, 10 Matches, 3.60 Goals Per Game Average)
Norman North 4-3 Daniel
Summerville 2-0 Dreher
Wando 3-0 Daniel
Wando 2-1 Hilton Head

Friday, April 1 (42 Goals, 11 Matches, 3.82 Goals Per Game Average)
West Florence 2-1 Ocean Lakes
Summerville 2-1 Spring Valley
Fort Mill 5-3 Dreher
Dutch Fork 6-1 West Florence
Lexington 2-1 A.C. Flora
Fort Mill 0-0 Summerville
Hilton Head 5-0 Daniel
Norman North 3-0 Wando
Ridge View 3-2 Bishop England
Brookland-Cayce 3-0 Ocean Lakes

Saturday, April 2 @ Eagle Stadium
9:30 am, Bishop England (2-1) vs. Summerville (2-0-1) -- Semifinals
11:30 pm, A.C. Flora (0-3) vs. Dreher (0-3)
1:30 pm, Lexington (2-1) vs. Spring Valley (1-1-1)
3:30 pm, Ridge View (2-1) vs. Fort Mill (1-0-2)

Saturday, April 2 @ The Cage
9:30 am, Brookland-Cayce (2-0-1) vs. Norman North-OK (2-0-1) -- Semifinals
12:30 pm, Ocean Lakes-VA (0-3) vs. Daniel (0-3)
2:30 pm, West Florence (1-2) vs. Hilton Head (1-1-1)
4:30 pm, Dutch Fork (2-0-1) vs. Wando (2-1)
7:00 pm, 9:30 am A/B Winner vs. C/D Winner -- Championship

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You're killing us. Who won the 5 O'Clock games...RV v. BE and Lexington v. Flora.

World Cup
World Cup
Hopefully, Mother Nature will cooperate with us tomorrow and we will have a "Sunny and 70-Degree Day"! However, Saturday looks like a dry and windy day according to the Weather Channel with highs in the upper 50s at best. Bring a wind jacket and a heavy coat for the Championship Match at The Cage (7 p.m.).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any updates on the early matches? [Confused]

Brace
Brace
Semifinal results from The 13th Annual Palmetto Cup:

Bishop England 2:0 Summerville
Norman North (OK) 5:2 Brookland-Cayce

Championship Match at 7:00 PM: Bishop England v. Norman North (OK) at The Cage.

Brace
Brace
Other Final Round Action:

A.C. Flora 0:0 Dreher
Daniel 3:0 Ocean Lakes-VA
Spring Valley 2:1 Lexington
Hilton Head 5:1 West Florence
Fort Mill 2:1 Ridge View
Dutch Fork 0:1 Wando

CHAMPIONSHIP
Bishop England 0:1 (ot) Norman North-OK

[ April 02, 2005, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Heise ]

F
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
F
so what are the standings as of right now?

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
any update on the DF vs Wando score??

kick off
kick off
any one have a score for the Finals??

kick off
kick off
oh nvm i see it one the post above

coach
coach
Norman North 1
Bishop England 0 in overtime.
Any report on the game?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, I know a loss is a loss no matter how large the margin is but a 1-0 loss to NN in overtime is not a bad showing considering how they dealt with everyone else. Looks like it was a great tournament for BE.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It was a very good game. Norman North had many more scoring chances than BE did. BE had one maybe two good chances, NN had a few more. The goal in overtime was an own goal for BE with about one minute to play in 2nd overtime. It was not the defenders fault, he tried getting his body in the way of the shot and it deflected off of him, just unlucky. Both teams should be proud of the way they played.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I agree with Drave, Norman North had a good game in every aspect except finishing. Of their 15 or so shots, they had maybe 7 or 8 on frame, and on those shots, Bishop England's Keeper, a sophmore, had quite a few exceptional saves. BE was forced to play very defensively and didn't have numbers when they won the ball. The wind effected the game, as well as the earlier games, causing BE to have a hard time with their through balls. Good luck to BE on their season, and I believe that they are probably the top team in 2a

hat-trick
hat-trick
As far as the semi final games, I wasn't at the BE summerville game, but as for the BC Norman North game, the score doesn't show a completely accurate summary. BC outshot Norman North 15 to 8. Norman North finished well in this game, and made BC pay for any mistake they made. At halftime (with the strong winds at Norman North's back) the score was 3-0, but BC didn't give up and fought hard for a good second half.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Dutch Fork had their share of chances to put away Wando as well, but didn't convert.

J
world cup
world cup
J
..next time i'm in Cola.. I'm hanging out with all the cool soccer people in the press box..

MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
Does anyone know who was in goal for BE? Ricciardone or Calandra?

R
goal kick
goal kick
R
I would just like to commend everyone associated with the tournament for a job well done. Even with all of the bad weather, the tournament stayed on schedule and the fields held up incredibly well under the circumstances. The field of teams was very strong and there were a lot of close games that could have gone either way. To everyone involved, give yourself a pat on the back.

Brace
Brace
Way to go BE!!! Was NN that good? How did they (or anyone) beat Wando 3-0? Can someone give more details on the games?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
also how did NN only tie hilton head and barely beat daniel??

M
bench
bench
M
Phillip Ricciardone played the entire tournament for BE except for the final 6 minutes or so of the AC Flora game and 16 minutes of the Ridge View game, when a freshman backup goalkeep played. Joey Calandra did not attend the tournament. Ricciardone shut out AC Flora, Lexington and Summerville allowing only two goals against Ridge View and the own Goal in the 89th minute against Norman North. The entire BE defensive unit played exceptionally well in the tournament.
Graet job by the Bishops against a very talented Norman North team.

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Hilton Head is a dangerous team. There is some very good individual talent on that team, but they do not have the depth to win consistently against good teams. They only have four losses, all to top ten 4A teams (twice to Wando)and all by one goal. It should not be a surprise that they tied NN, nor should it be a surprise if they win a big game. It would be a surprise if they went deep into the playoffs.

World Cup
World Cup
I'd like to thank the teams that competed and the prep soccer fans that attended the 13th Palmetto Cup hosted by Brookland-Cayce HS.

We had a terrific tournament and I am especially proud of our outstanding tourney staff that handled some adverse weather in a very efficient manner.

I hope that those who attended enjoyed your experience and found the quality of the tournament field, facilities, and organization to your approval.

Thanks again for making the Palmetto Cup a tremendous high school soccer event.

World Cup
World Cup
Excellent media coverage this week at the Palmetto Cup. Listed below are some of the media outlets that covered this event, which took place for the 13th consecutive year:

Radio
AM-560 -- "Columbia's Morning Drive" with Christopher Thompson (6-9 a.m.)
AM-1400 -- "Talking Sports" with Teddy Heffner (7-10 a.m.)

Print
Lexington County Chronicle
The State Newspaper (Outstanding tournament preview and game coverage every day!)
The Sports News

Photography
Bem Rivers Productions

Internet
IHIGH.com -- http://southcarolina.ihigh.com/
SCVarsity.com -- http://scvarsity.rivals.com/default.asp?FP=3198
StudentSportsSoccer.com -- http://studentsportssoccer.rivals.com/

Oklahoma team takes Cup from Bishops
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/11299021.htm
The State, 4/3/05

Blazers slog way to win against Bishops
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/11292441.htm
The State, 4/2/05

Warriors whip rival Seahawks
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/11282599.htm
The State, 4/1/05

Second-half rally helps Bearcats salvage a tie
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/11272387.htm
The State, 3/31/05

Palmetto tourney attracts fine field
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/11263133.htm
The State, 3/30/05

Palmetto Cup
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/11263131.htm
The State, 3/30/05

Thanks to these media outlets for promoting the 2005 Palmetto Cup!

World Cup
World Cup
2005 Palmetto Cup Final Standings

Group Winners
1. Norman North-OK (4-0-1, 42 PTS, 16 GF, 8 GA, +8 GD), Tourney Champion
2. Bishop England (3-2-0, 29 PTS, 9 GF, 5 GA, +4 GD), Tourney Runner-Up
3. Brookland-Cayce (2-1-1, 28 PTS, 14 GF, 9 GA, +5 GD)
4. Summerville (2-1-1, 21 PTS, 4 GF, 3 GA, +1 GD)
----------
Group Runner-Up
5. Wando (3-1-0, 26 PTS, 6 GF, 4 GA, +2 GD)
6. Dutch Fork (2-1-1, 23 PTS, 12 GF, 7 GA, +5 GD)
7. Fort Mill (2-0-2, 23 PTS, 8 GF, 5 GA, +3 GD)
8. Ridge View (2-2-0, 19 PTS, 6 GF, 10 GA, -4 GD)
----------
Group 3rd Place
9. Hilton Head (2-1-1, 26 PTS, 14 GF, 6 GA, +8 GD)
10. Spring Valley (2-1-1, 22 PTS, 6 GF, 5 GA, +1 GD)
11. Lexington (2-2-0, 18 PTS, 9 GF, 6 GA, +3 GD)
12. West Florence (1-3-0, 10 PTS, 4 GF, 17 GA, -13 GD)
----------
Group 4th Place
13. Daniel (1-3-0, 13 PTS, 6 GF, 12 GA, -6 GD)
14. Dreher (0-3-1, 7 PTS, 3 GF, 9 GA, -6 GD)
15. A.C. Flora (0-3-1, 6 PTS, 2 GF, 6 GA, -4 GD)
16. Ocean Lakes-VA (0-4-0, 2 PTS, 2 GF, 10 GA, -8 GD)

***33 matches played
***121 goals scored (3.67 per game average)
***49 teams scored out of 66 results (74.2%)
***17 teams failed to score out of 66 results (25.8%)
***5, ties (15.2%)
***12, 1 goal matches (36.4%)
***6, 2 goal matches (18.2%)
***5, 3 goal matches (15.2%)
***5, 4+ goal matches (15.2%)
***6, most goals in a match (Lexington 6-1 Ridge View and Dutch Fork 6-1 West Florence)
***8, most goals combined by two teams in a match (Brookland-Cayce 4-4 Dutch Fork and Fort Mill 5-3 Dreher)
***0, fewest goals in a match (Fort Mill vs. Summerville and A.C. Flora vs. Dreher)
***78, goals scored at The Cage (116 x 57) in 18 matches (4.33 average)
***43, goals scored at Eagle Stadium (116 x 57) in 15 matches (2.87 average)

World Cup
World Cup
Brookland-Cayce High School would like to thank the college and high school coaches that were in attendance throughout the 2005 Palmetto Cup at both sites:

NCAA Division 1
Mark Berson, South Carolina
Shaun Docking, Coastal Carolina
Bert Molinary, South Carolina
Rich Posipanko, Winthrop
Daniel Ridenhour, Winthrop

NCAA Division II
Murray Hartzler, Francis Marion
Sam Okpodu, Newberry

High School
Chris Christian, Chapin
Dennis Cook, Irmo
Justin Davis, Northwestern
Nick Finotti, Northwestern
Dick Hiller, Chapin
Shaun Jacques, Swansea
Keith Morris, Airport Girls
Sondra Oliver, Lexington
Ben Osborne, Schofield Middle School (Aiken)
Anthony Pelton, Fort Dorchester
Adrian Pinasco, Hammond
Jessica Preisig, Easley
Ronald Rudd, Georgetown
Phil Savitz, Irmo
Kenny Shumpert, Airport Girls
Bob Taylor, Chapin
Sean Vick, Mid-Carolina
Paul Waters, South Aiken

hat-trick
hat-trick
Are you telling me that BE has a kid that is better than Riccardone in goal?

World Cup
World Cup
The 2005 Palmetto Cup All-Tournament Team will be announced in this post as the responses come back from coaches via e-mail. The 15 member All-Tournament Team consists of three players from the tourney champion, two from the runners-up, and one each from teams that finish 3-12. Teams that finish 13-16 will not have a selection. Each player selected to the team will receive a certificate that will be mailed later this week.

Norman North (3) -- MVP #5 Jimmy Anderson, JR, Forward; #20 Brandon Jack, JR, Defender; #14 Logan Rogers, SR, Midfielder
Bishop England (2) -- #1 Phillip Ricciardone, SO, Goalkeeper; Kyle Smith, SR
Brookland-Cayce -- #2 Andrew Evans, JR, Midfielder (South Carolina commitment '06)
Summerville -- #1 Brandon Wogamon, JR, Goalkeeper
----------
Wando -- #4 David Newton, SR, Midfielder (Clemson signee)
Dutch Fork -- #21 Danny Cates, FR, Forward
Fort Mill -- #15 Dane Whitman, SR, Midfielder (Coastal Carolina signee)
Ridge View -- #13 Richard Ellison, SR
----------
Hilton Head -- #3 Carlos Chirinos, JR, Forward
Spring Valley -- #5 Chase Rowell, SR, Forward (Hampden-Sydney signee)
Lexington -- #3 Brett Keatley, JR, Midfielder
West Florence -- #9 Lucas Curry, SR, Forward

World Cup
World Cup
Norman North (OK) wins Palmetto Cup Tournament Championship
By Bem Rivers, IHIGH.com Special Correspondent

Cayce, SC -- Having played only two games before coming to the Palmetto Cup Tournament, Norman North Head Coach Bryan Young didn't know what kind of team he had. Being ranked third nationally has given opponents extra incentives to beat Norman North. Everybody in the sixteen team tournament wants to be the one who can say "We beat Norman North."

At the end of the Palmetto Cup Tournament, Coach Young found out that he has a Championship caliber team as he takes the trophy home with him for the third time in four years with a 1-0 win over Bishop England.

To play in the Palmetto Cup, teams must be physically and mentally prepared. Teams were sometimes required to play two games in one day throughout the week to determine who would play for the Championship. The two teams left standing were Norman North (OK) and Bishop England (SC). People expected Norman North to be in the Championship game and Bishop England is the defending 2004 SC Class AA Lower State Champions. Bishop England is one of the favorites to add another State Championship to their trophy case.

The Championship match ended in a 0-0 tie in regulation. Bishop England was content to sit and wait the entire game. It looked as if Bishop England was trying to play to go to penalty kicks. It almost worked until Norman North's J.P. Hanger's shot deflected off of Bishop England's Arthur Holdclaw in the second overtime period to give the Timberwolves another Palmetto Cup Championship with less than ten seconds before having to go to penalty kicks.

Norman North Head Coach Bryan Young said "It's always great to win a tournament. We love coming to South Carolina. This is a great tournament. The competition played hard against us. This tournament gets us going and gives us an indication of how our kids will react under pressure. We played really well and created many chances but we have to put them away. Our confidence is sky high after winning this tournament. Our team is very young. We have only three seniors and they did a fabulous job."

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Group B must have been stacked heavily, not only was group play strong but group B teams won every game against other teams.

World Cup
World Cup
Good point soccernut2 ... Upon review Group B did figure to be the top group this year ... Group B teams finished atop their section of the "points standings" (i.e. -- NN 1-4, Wando 5-8, HH 9-12, Daniel 13-16) ... This is how the teams/groups fared in the Palmetto Cup:

Group A / 5-9-2 / #9.25 AVG
#3 Brookland-Cayce (2-1-1)
#6 Dutch Fork (2-1-1)
#12 West Florence (1-3-0)
#16 Ocean Lakes-VA (0-4-0)

Group B / 10-5-2 / #7.00 AVG
#1 Norman North-OK (4-0-1)
#5 Wando (3-1-0)
#9 Hilton Head (2-1-1)
#13 Daniel (1-3-0)

Group C / 7-9-1 / #9.00 AVG
#2 Bishop England (3-2-0)
#8 Ridge View (2-2-0)
#11 Lexington (2-2-0)
#15 A.C. Flora (0-3-1)

Group D / 6-5-5 / #8.75 AVG
#4 Summerville (2-1-1)
#7 Fort Mill (2-0-2)
#10 Spring Valley (2-1-1)
#14 Dreher (0-3-1)

World Cup
World Cup
The Week 6 Rankings by the S.C. High School Soccer Coaches Association have 13 of 14 Palmetto State teams ranked in their respective classification after this week's Palmetto Cup.

Class 4A
#3 Wando (14-1-1)
#5 Dutch Fork (11-4-1)
#6 Fort Mill (11-1-2)
#8 Summerville (10-4-2)
#9 Spring Valley (12-5-1)
#10 Hilton Head (10-4-2)
#14 Lexington (8-7)
#15 Ridge View (11-6)
NR West Florence (5-8)

Class 3A
#7 Dreher (7-7-1)
#8 Brookland-Cayce (8-7-1)
#9 A.C. Flora (9-5-1)
#11 Daniel (7-5)

Class 2A
#1 Bishop England (10-7)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by soccernut2:
Group B must have been stacked heavily, not only was group play strong but group B teams won every game against other teams.

Look at the other groups and how they did in "semi-final" matchups.

Group B 4-0-0 (as previously stated)
Group D 2-1-1
Group C 1-2-1
Group A 0-4-0

Not sure what this means but it is interesting to look at.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kyle & Kevin-

The tournament was even better than last year! I am so proud of the BC boys for making it into the semi finals. They played their hearts out and they were a pleasure to watch! Keep up the GREAT work and thanks for all you do for soccer in SC!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great Tournamnet!!! Everything went well..great staff..the rain couldn't even stop its success...Overall great job

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anyone see the Wando loss to Norman North..What were some thoughts on Wando in the tourney?

Goal
Goal
Does anyone know why Airport doesn't play in this tournament? It seems that they have a better team the last couple of years compared to their past. Just wondering since they play 1/2 the games at AHS and it has such good teams each year.

Tough luck for Dreher and Flora. Some tough games for them. Doesn't look like I missed much from the 0-0 scoreline on Saturday. It was too windy for me!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How are the groups determined because group B definetly was stacked? Both Norman North and Wando were nationally ranked, and Daniel and Hilton Head also have very good teams.

World Cup
World Cup
Airport has a standing invitation to join the Palmetto Cup field and will do so for the 2006 event.

As for the group selections, many factors are weighed including the primary goal of not having any team play a fellow region member in group play ... This certainly affects the pairings ... In all, I believe the tourney breakdown was quite fair, as it always is intended.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
All the staff and people involved in the Palmetto Cup should be congratulated for a professional job well done. The concession staff, the ball boys, the ticket people and all those invloved made it a truly enjoyable experience for everyone and it is a model for the conduct of a tournament.
Congratulations!!!

E
goal kick
goal kick
E
I second Bazza's sentiment. As usual, the tourney was competitive and very well organized. Congratulations are due to all of the teams that participated, to the tourney champions Norman North and to the BC staff for all of the hard work that went into this event.

World Cup
World Cup
Kicking Around: The Week In Boys Soccer
http://scvarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=404898
John Devlin, SCVarsity.com Staff
April 3, 2005

The weather was miserable, but that did not diminish the play at the 13th annual Palmetto Cup gathering at Brookland-Cayce and Airport last week.

Through two days of rain and gale-force winds on the final day, not a single Cup game was cancelled.

In the end, Norman North of Oklahoma continued its run of dominance in South Carolina, going 4-0-1, including a 1-0 overtime win over Bishop England in the championship match at The Cage on Saturday night.

It was the second straight Cup title for the Timberwolves, and the third in four tries since Bryan Young’s team made its Palmetto State debut in 2000. Norman North is now 15-1-2 all-time in tournament outings.

“We’re fortunate to have the opportunity to travel that a lot of teams don’t have, and we really enjoy coming here,” said Young. “Kyle and Kevin (Heise) do a great job with this tournament – it is so well run. It is the most organized tournament we’ve ever been to. It fits in nicely to our season back home, and we get to see some good competition.”

The Timberwolves saw considerable competition in the finale, despite dominating most of the 90 minutes of play.

Norman North, featuring abundant speed, size and skill, generated plenty of scoring chances, but were thwarted time after time by the aggressive and inspired play of sophomore Bishop England keeper Phillip Ricciardone.

The Timberwolves out-shot the Bishops 14-7 and had six corner opportunities to four for the Bishops.

Still, it took a lucky bounce for the Oklahomans to avoid going to the anything-goes penalty kick shootout phase to determine the champion.

Fullback J.P. Hanger’s shot as he was angling into the box from the right side deflected off BE defender Arthur Holdclaw and into the open right corner of the net as Ricciardone scrambled to cover the far side.

“It was definitely a shot, not a centering pass,” said Hanger, a tall junior who gave the Bishops fits in the box on set pieces all night. “I was going for the far side, and didn’t see the defender until I hit the ball. Luckily it hit off him and into the net.”

The score came in the 90th minute, just 48 seconds before the shootout was to begin.

“I thought we controlled the game and created a lot of opportunities, but we just couldn’t finish like we had been doing in the tournament,” said Young, whose team is ranked No. 1 in the Midwest and No. 3 nationally by StudentSports.com. “But you have to give (Bishop England) credit. They played hard, and that keeper did a great job. We’re just glad to get the win.”

Ricciardone shut out Summerville 2-0 in the semifinals, and became the talk of the tournament among the college coaches in attendance.

That didn’t surprise BE coach Ed Khouri.

“Phillip had an outstanding tournament,” said the Bishops veteran boss. “He’s only a sophomore, but he’s is going to be one of the best keeper prospects in the state before he’s through.”

Bishop England, which moved up to No. 1 in the Class 2A rankings by The Sports News this week, went 3-2-0 in the tournament, improving to 10-7-0 overall.

“We knew (Norman North) was a strong team with size and speed, and that we couldn’t match them straight up, so we more or less played it conservative and hoped to take advantage of any scoring opportunities that came our way,” said Khouri after the title bout. “Tactically, I felt we performed very well, tonight, and throughout the tournament. We struggled a little bit early in the season, but maybe we’re turning the corner at the right time.”

The Bishops should be a team on a mission. After all, the current senior class is facing the prospect of being the first group of BE players since the team moved down to the 2A ranks in 1992 to graduate without ever experiencing the thrill of winning a state championship.

BE’s last state title came in 2001.

World Cup
World Cup
Norman North strikes again
http://studentsportssoccer.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=404962
Sheldon Shealer, StudentSportsSoccer.com Editor
April 4, 2005

For six straight years, Norman North has traveled to the East coast to test its players, and this year's visit to wet and windy South Carolina paid huge dividends.

Norman North went 4-0-1, pinning the first loss on Wando (S.C.) and beating Bishop England (S.C.) in the title match to claim its second straight Palmetto Cup title. In four visits to South Carolina, Norman North has won three titles and lost only one match in 19 contests.

Norman North entered the tournament ranked No. 2 in the StudentSportsSoccer.com FAB 50. A 3-0 win over No. 15 Wando simply reinforces the Timberwolves ranking among the nation's elite teams.

The final between Norman North and Bishop England on Saturday went to overtime before the Timberwolves pulled out a 1-0 victory against the nation's unluckiest team this season. Bishop England is 10-7 this year, six of the losses are by one goal. In the final minute of overtime, a shot by Norman North's John Paul Hanger deflected off a Bishop England defender and into the goal for the winner.

"On the day, Pope John Paul II passes, we have a player named John Paul score the winning goal," Young said. "Maybe we had more than luck on our side."

The result leaves Norman North with a 6-0-1 record.

Norman North was led by a pair of juniors, striker Jimmy Anderson and defender Brandon Jack. Both are juniors. Anderson scored six goals in five matches, including two against Wando. Jack anchors a tall and stellar Timberwolves' defense. Three defenders are 6-foot-2 or taller, including the 6-5 Hanger.

Norman North had played only two matches before traveling to South Carolina. The South Carolina programs are well into their season, most had played at least 12 times. Young said Norman North needed to work out problems in its defense after the first two matches (a 4-3 win over Daniel and a 2-2 draw with Hilton Head).

For the Timberwolves, the tournament turned on its match with Wando. The match was scoreless at halftime. In the second half, Russ Coleman scored on a direct kick, then Anderson finished two chances for the 3-0 victory.

Wando was 13-0-1 before the contest.

"We had to win the game to win the group," Young said. "I challenged the kids, and I couldn't have asked anything more. It was a big effort, and we had to have it. ... It was a tremendous effort, one of the best games we have ever played."

After taking out Wando, Norman North started Saturday morning with a 5-2 semifinal win over Brookland-Cayce.

Since 2000, Norman North has traveled to South Carolina four times and Georgia twice. Young said he wants his program to compete against the best East teams for two reasons — one to put them in hostile environments to see you they react, and secondly, to show off the strength of Oklahoma soccer.

Norman North's roster is dominated by juniors, as only three seniors see action. The exposure for the Timberwolves might result in offers from the eastern programs that attended the event. Young said he spoke to the University of South Carolina coach regarding a few of his players.

Although Norman North is the two-time defending Palmetto Cup champion, Young has not committed to the event for 2006. He said he's interested in competing against the northern Virginia powers, programs that are usually restricted from traveling out-of-state given the sizable number of quality programs in the region.

World Cup
World Cup
The 2006 Palmetto Cup will be held April 12-15, 2006 at Brookland-Cayce HS and Airport HS.

World Cup
World Cup
Norman North-OK is 15-1-2 in 18 Palmetto Cup outings. Listed below are their tournament results:

2000 (4-0-0, 1st) -- NN 5-0 Dutch Fork, NN 4-0 Myrtle Beach, NN 2-1 Summerville, NN 2-1 Hillcrest

2002 (2-1-1, 5th) -- NN 2-3 Bishop England, NN 0-0 Brookland-Cayce, NN 3-0, James Island, NN 1-0 Summerville

2004 (5-0-0, 1st) -- NN 6-0 West Florence, NN 9-0 Dorman, NN 2-0 Dreher, NN 2-0 Hilton Head, NN 2-0 Riverside

2005 (4-0-1, 1st) -- NN 4-3 Daniel, NN 3-3 Hilton Head, NN 3-0 Wando, NN 5-2 Brookland-Cayce, NN 1-0 ot Bishop England

Goal
Goal
This is great publicity for SC soccer. Kudos to those involved in making this a premier event! I got to see the Ridge View and Bishop England game at BC and the Ridge View and Fort Mill game at Airport. Both facilities are very nice, though a bit of a squeeze, but a great atmosphere for soccer. I wish that there were three officials, but I know there is a shortage in Columbia. I saw several college coaches there as well and that speaks volumes about the quality of the tournament. Good job!

World Cup
World Cup
The 2005 Palmetto Cup All-Tournament Team can be found at the link provided.

2005 Palmetto Cup All-Tournament Team

World Cup
World Cup
Palmetto Cup Has Exceeded Expectations (4/6/05)
Soccer tournament continues to thrive
Bill Mitchell, Lexington County Chronicle

The short, action-packed "season" that is the Palmetto Cup left Brookland-Cayce soccer coach Kevin Heise tired, but pleased on two fronts.

The event went off without a hitch and his B-C team performed well.

The event, founded by Heise and his brother Kyle, 13 years ago, has grown from a humble four-team field to 16 quality programs for a very hectic weekend of soccer over the spring break, including a few out of state powers.

Norman North, Okla., ranked third in the nation, bested Bishop England 1-0 for this year's title.

"We've flirted with going to 24 teams, but we're likely to stick with 16," said Heise. "We try to keep a good balance with the traditionally stronger local teams, the better teams state-wide and balance out the field with a few quality out of state program."

"We've tried to make the tournament a regional event and we've gotten publicity from several web sites and attracted a lot of attention. To be honest, 10 years ago, we never envisioned it becoming this grand of an event."

The weather proved to be the biggest handicap for the event.

Rain and then extremely windy and cold conditions made life uncomfortable for players and fans alike.

"We had probably the worst playing conditions we've had, but the tournament went off as smooth as it ever has," Heise said. "That's a testament for our volunteer staff. Our people have done it enough to know what to do, really professional. Each took off work and took vacation to work our tournament."

The tournament has grown into a fund-raising efforr for the soccer program at Brookland-Cayce, but that hasn't always been the goal.

"We were not a soccer power by any stretch of the imagination when I came here," said Heise.

"I felt that we needed to play better teams to measure our progress. We were able to schedule Mauldin and South Florence, two top 10 Class 4A teams at the time (1993) and were fortunate enough to beat them."

"The games didn't hurt you on your record, win or loss, but it did give us a lot of confidence," he said. "We felt that we could get to this level. The reason to play the tournament was to play teams that were better than us."

The high competition level preps teams for the stretch run of the regular season. By playing a large number of games in a short four-day period, it also tests your depth.

Even Norman North, although unbeaten and tournament champion, was tied by Hilton Head.

"I'm proud of the fact that, over the years, few people have come here and gone unscathed," said Heise. "That just shows the caliber of the tournament. And it happens more often than not."

As time has gone by the tournament has become an important financial contributor to the soccer program.

"When we went to eight teams, it was the first time we made any profit and after we expanded to 12 teams in 1998, you could see the potential as a fund-raising activity," said Heise. "We have good tournament sponsors and people who buy ads in the program. Everything adds up."

"It's a way for us not to be a burden on the athletic program, asking them for funds. We're pretty self-sufficient. Our athletic director (Brad Coleman) is very happy because it allows money to go to other sports that don't have this kind of opportunity."

The Bearcats, although only 8-7-1 for the season, performed well in the tournament, advancing to the semifinals before losing to Norman North and finishing third in the Cup's standings.

The young team may have turned the corner.

"For us to be in the semifinals was a good week for us," Heise said. "But this is behind us now. Now we need to focus on that task at hand and that's winning the region. We've played the toughest schedule we've ever played."

"We're a good team and the kids know it now. We've played the best teams and hung with all of them."

The Bearcats can take a giant step toward that goal by beating Dreher Tuesday at The Cage, B-C's home field.

Winning the region means improving your position for the playoffs.

"That gives you home games for the playoffs," Heise said.

"The easier you can make it for yourself, the better off you are. We love playing at home and we're a different team at home than on the road."

There was a great picture of junior Blake Hinton moving up field with referee Mike Mangum also in the frame taken by Aaron Morrison. The Lexington County Chronicle can be found at many Midlands shopping centers and costs $0.75 per week.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard