Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Kyle... I read The State this morning and it said today's games were being played at the USC practice fields??? All your documentation says Eagle stadium.

I assume that The State is wrong. If not let me know as I provided some info to friends of mine to attend the games.

goal
goal
Has the state ever been right?...Yes they are wrong!

World Cup
World Cup
WED - Eagle Stadium
THU/FRI/SAT - The Cage & Eagle Stadium
SAT - Semifinals @ USC Practice Fields
SAT - Championship @ USC Stone Stadium

goal
goal
SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD #@@#$%^&*@#% TOURNAMENT!!!

goal
goal
LMAO, "That was a good one!"

goal
goal
I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE THAT KID THAT FOR PLAYS BROOKLAND CAYCE THAT IS AN ALL AMERICAN AND THAT GUY FROM HILTON HEAD THAT PLAYS FORWARD!!! I HEARD THESE ARE GOOD @#!$%^#^&&##@ PLAYERS!!!

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Gentlemen -

I spoke to Roger Hazel at the SCHSL and a "soft" red is not an ejection that warrants a suspension. This is what I understood and this is confirmed. It is unfortunate that situations like the one described by Coach Chass occur (an opposing coach or fan mis-interpretting the rules and causing a player to unnecessarily miss a game), but the fact is that a second yellow card in one high school match results in only a "soft" red and is not considered an ejection that warrants a suspension (I have always equated it to a basketball player receiving his fifth personal foul and sitting the remainder of the game).

The first "straight" or "hard" red card during a season results in a one game suspension. The second results in a two week suspension. Carlos Chirinos (and I assume the young man from Summerville) will serve that suspension by sitting out the first match in the Palmetto Cup.

goal
goal
"An athlete who is ejected for the second time in the same sport will have his or her athletic eligibility
removed for a minimum of two weeks. An athlete who has been ejected from three contests during a
school year (all sports) shall become ineligible for the remainder of the school year. Game officials
must report all player ejections so that the League Office can officially notify the school of each
violation. When an athlete is ejected for the second time in the same sport, the school is required to
immediately begin the above prescribed penalty" That comes from the HSL handbook. If the player was ejected, wether it was soft or hard, it was still an ejection. Is all this a misinterpretation of the rules, or is the rule just not clear enough?

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Chuck -

The rules are clear, but you have to read the entire rule to understand its purpose and intent.

Your quote is a portion of the Constitution of the SCHSL that addresses unsportsmanlike acts and applies to all sports (not just soccer). The rule begins by stating:

"Unsportsmanlike acts that take place at the site of an interscholastic contest are League matters. The League shall discipline violators of the following items.

1. An athlete who is ejected for using abusive language, flagrantly or maliciously contacting another person, making obscene gestures to opponents or spectators, shall be ineligible for a minimum of the next contest to the maximum of one year depending on the seriousness of the violation."

The rule continues on to ultimately include your quote.

Any act on a high school soccer field that includes "abusive language, flagrantly or maliciously contacting another person, making obscene gestures to opponents or spectators" is a straight or hard red and is considered an ejection under this rule. In fact, the report filed by the referee of the Hilton Head/Summerville match on April 7, 2006 specifically cited violent conduct on the part of both the Hilton Head (striking/elbowing an opposing player) and Summerville (spitting/use of foul language) player as the reason for the ejection. The match referee has summarized the conduct in another thread. Consequently, the SCHSL has notified both schools that their respective player has been suspended for one game.

However, a soft red comes from accumulating two lesser offenses that are not addressed by this rule. Consequently, a soft red is not considered an ejection (just as a fifth personal foul in a basketball game is not considered an ejection) under this rule.

goal
goal
Yeah, I'm not questioning you lfc, just pointing out the lack of clarity. No where does it dissern between "hard" and "soft" reds. But either way, both ARE ejections. The point I am trying to make is that it needs to be distinct in its wording, as soccer is the only sport that hands out cards for vicous/flagrant/continuous foul play. A yellow can result from a flagrant foul, but is not an ejection just a "stern" warning. We need to have the constitution amended to reflect the rules of soccer and this matter.

Yes, basketball is similar. But those players fouls out, they are not ejected. A slight difference.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard