Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#28703 05/08/05 01:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Irmo beats Wando in PK'S. Newton, misses pk and Moody comes up big.

#28704 05/08/05 01:54 AM
F
goal kick
goal kick
F
any highlights? PK score? etc?

#28705 05/08/05 02:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wando controlled the game but couldnt finish today. That's the way it goes.

#28706 05/08/05 02:22 AM
MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
Much of the first half was controlled by Irmo with Wando making some good runs and scoring off of Frank Burley's shot outside the 18. The shot hit a defender's leg midway and changed direction so it was already too late for Moody to stop it. Irmo's #3 Spencer was possessing the ball nicely in the midfield and towards the end of the first half the game began to balance out. In the second half, Wando was beginning to pick up when Joe Semsar, the sweeper, dribbled back and in confusion the keeper picked it up, resulting in an Irmo PK which Zach Prince converted on for the equaliser. Towards the end of the second half, Wando made a run up the middle and the ball was bounced/deflected to the side of the 6. Moody came out and kicked it out to the sideline, where a Wando player recovered and crossed it in onto the head of Mark Dominick, who put it in. However, the linesman made a controversial call that either the crosser or Dominick were offsides, and the goal was called back. Wando began to show nice offensive form with good forwards and fast runs.

Later, in the first or second 10-minute overtime, Irmo's # 3 had a free kick in front of half field and kicked it into the Wando box, where (I couldn't see very well) there was confusion about whether it went in off of Prince (I think). Irmo's players thought they had the goal but the linesman ruled offsides, and the score remained 1-1. I felt that Wando played stronger in the overtime periods, but both teams exchanged good runs but they were snuffed out by the defense.

In PK's, Wando's Andrew Eppelsheimer shot first and it hit the post and missed. I can't remember the details but I know Irmo hit a bar and missed one and then the Wando keeper made a huge save. Newton was next and shot to the right but Moody made a big save. # 14 for Irmo (the big boy) had a make. Then Wando followed with a make, and Irmo won off a make (I can't remember who, sorry for any inconsistencies).

Both teams played well, but I felt that Irmo faded a bit towards the end and Wando picked it up. It was a very well-reffed game, but the linesmen were a bit iffy in some situations. Overall, a great match, unfortunate that it had to happen this early. I'd like to hear what everyone thought of the game and any details that I left out.

#28707 05/08/05 02:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the hair looked pretty gay, but it was a good game.

#28708 05/08/05 02:42 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Alright, here is my question regarding your details. What you are saying is that the keeper picked up a ball that was from his teamate, which resulted in a pk, but the rule is that it should be an indirect free kick? Is high school different? I don't understand how a referee could miss something this big.

#28709 05/08/05 02:43 AM
Brace
Brace
Ok, someone is seriously mistaken....

If the sweeper dribbled the ball back and the keeper picked it up, then the referee would have to determine that an intentional passback. This infraction is an indirect free kick from the spot of the foul. If the keeper picks it up inside the 6, then the free kick comes on the six. That foul, in and of itself, is never a PK.

Of course this foul has to occur insude the box otherwise it's an intentional hand ball and a card.

Anyone else with a different account of the game and especially that play? The ONLY thing I can think of is that if the GK picked up the ball to prevent a goal. I still feel it's an indirect free kick, perhaps with a card to accompany the infraction.

#28710 05/08/05 02:46 AM
world cup
world cup
I read it the same way and am asking myself the same question??????

#28711 05/08/05 02:52 AM
MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
Sorry guys,
I was on the opposite side of the field and couldn't really tell. Discard my previous explanation as now I realize the inconsistency. I don't really recall exactly what happened, but I do remember Joe Semsar dribbling it backward and there being confusion with the keeper. There may have been a foul on one of the Irmo forwards, but I don't really remember. Anyone with a clearer explanation?
Sorry again.

#28712 05/08/05 03:13 AM
C
kick off
kick off
C
Also Wando scored and it was called back...that was messed up, finally the P.K. foul was bull **** there was no foul. I LOVE TO SEE PHIL SAVITZ ONCE AGAIN getting positive bias. Way to go Refs thanks for screwing up Wandos great season.

#28713 05/08/05 04:08 AM
C
kick off
kick off
C
This is what happened on the PK in the second half. The Irmo foward got the ball and dribbled past Semsar, then took a bad touch in the box and that is when the Keeper came out and got it. Semsar did not touch the ball back to the keeper. The call was horrible because after the Irmo guy took the bad touch, he never had a chance to score. Semsar shoved the foward, and it was probably a foul, but not PK worthy because he didn't have a chance to score, because he touched it so far away from himself. The keeper got the ball, and the Irmo guy was still four or five yards away. It shouldn't have been a PK.

#28714 05/08/05 04:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay, first of all, it was a foul against Irmo that caused the PK..a good call and the refs definetly were TERRIBLE tonight. Both teams played great..and the refs were so bad, they didn't help or hurt anyone. They made bad calls both ways! Where do they get these guys? This was such a physical game, and luckily, no one got hurt, but it could have gotten out of control quickly. PKs just go one way, unfortunately, and Moody came up big.

#28715 05/08/05 04:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
By the way, ccrchs1atk - were you actually watching the game? As I said, the refs were terrible...but Irmo also had a goal called back. My grandmother could've called off sides better than these guys. Let's just call it a good game..with bad refs.

#28716 05/08/05 04:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dear soccermom4eva,

These refs come from the same place as you. You can be a high school soccer ref. Why don't you go find out when the clinic will be next year, sign up, pass the test and then you can ref high school soccer and we can read how terrible you did reffing.

As to the rest of you hosers, ain't it great how everyone knows what a bad job the refs did, but no one knows the laws. For your information, if there is a push by the defensive team inside the penalty area, then the result should be a penalty kick. Does not have to be whether the offensive player had a goal scoring opportunity. A push in the box is a pk. If it was denying a goal scoring opportunity, then you have the pk and can also see the red card for disqualification.

So of course all you experts know guaranteed that it was a lousy jobs by the refs. And this was with the 3 man, so at least it is not the usual 2 man sucks complaints. What do you people do in between high school soccer and club seasons?

#28717 05/08/05 05:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MP had a pretty good overview of the game, but there were a couple of errors. The refs did a poor job controlling the game, giving a lot of touch fouls in Wando's favor. Almost every goal scoring chance for Wando was off of a free kick from midfield. And the PKs were like this: Irmo makes. Wando, first shot hit the post. Irmo makes. Wando makes. Irmo hits the crossbar(Monroe). Wando makes. Wando keeper saves. Moody saves Newton's PK. Irmo makes. Moody saves another. Irmo wins.
It was a great game, physical and emotional. Moody came up huge in PKs and made the big difference. It's such a shame that these two teams had to meet in the third round instead of the Lowerstate Finals. Great season Wando, and good luck Irmo against Dutch Fork.

#28718 05/08/05 08:26 AM
goal
goal
I agree partially with playa - MP DID do a pretty good job with the overview of the game, but I disagree with the assessment of the Refs. I thought they did a perfectly acceptable job of controlling the game – in fact, that is probably the statement the center judge was making when he issued an Irmo player a yellow card in the first few minutes of play. No, I did not agree with every call, but there were no calls I would say were horrible. I did question at least one offsides call against Irmo, where the Wando keeper and a fullback were standing ON the goal line – not sure how you can be offsides in that situation. Overall, I felt it was a well-called game.

And, thank you Getinthegame - I am quite often surprised by the criticism heaved upon officials by people in general, and definitely by people who don’t seem to be even fairly knowledgeable of the rules.

I was on the end of the field closest to where the Irmo PK was awarded (Getinthegame, thank you again for your rules explanation). As the Irmo player was going past and to the outside of the Wando player (I’m guessing this was Semsar) the Wando player shoved the Irmo player to the ground, from behind. It was not a horrible push, but a push, nonetheless. ccrchs1atk said himself “Semsar shoved the foward [sic], and it was probably a foul…” He was just not aware that what he witnessed WAS a direct free kick offence – in the box, PK.

As to the Wando goal that was called back, I believe the linesman called the ball OUT of play – that is why a corner kick was awarded to Wando.

I felt the game was fairly evenly matched. Irmo possessed the ball more and had a better passing game BUT made a lot of bad passes. That may sound contradictory, but it’s not – Wando played more long balls – Irmo passed more – just made too many bad passes. Wando definitely came out to win, though. Their pressure was most likely why Irmo made so many bad passes.

Irmo and Wando both have players whose throw-ins have a huge impact on the game because of the distance they throw the ball. Interestingly, the Wando player who takes most of the big ones is one of their smallest players.

It was a great game – just a shame that it had to end with PKs, and also that these two teams could not meet further down the playoff road.

#28719 05/08/05 02:20 PM
C
kick off
kick off
C
quote:
By the way, ccrchs1atk - were you actually watching the game?
Sure as hell was!

#28720 05/08/05 05:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone who still doesn't think Austin Moody is in the top three goalies in the state should never be able to talk again after the performance he had against Wando, he is by far one of if not the best keeper in the state.

#28721 05/08/05 07:27 PM
Brace
Brace
Great game and atmosphere last night for the Irmo/Wando match. Too bad it had to be decided on PKs. Neither team deserved to lose for sure. Good luck to Irmo in the semis.

#28722 05/09/05 03:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i had my doubts about moody goin into the game but he definetly put them outta my mind...great job...keep it up...

#28723 05/09/05 05:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Best keeper in state is Gustavson. It's not even close. I rate the keeper at BE ahead of Moody as well.

#28724 05/09/05 01:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you guys are not good, are all learn from HILTON HEAD

#28725 05/09/05 03:56 PM
goal
goal
Quote "you guys are not good, are all learn from HILTON HEAD"

Huh ?!?!

#28726 05/10/05 04:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
good job Irmo

#28727 05/10/05 04:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What the hell... some poor-english speaking idiot has discovered by password... i guess ill have to change it. Sorry... I repsect Wando, even though we shouldve beat them in that midseason tourney...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard