Next Thread
Print Thread
#28817 05/08/05 02:00 PM
A
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
A
The soccer community of Lexington 5 must be feeling pretty good this morning as they read of the exploits of Irmo and Dutch Fork. I hope this community really feels that they had a hand in all of this, because it's obvious to me that they have.

You are obviously blessed with some fine coaches in Phil and Wayne.And you can't talk of the Columbia area without mentioning the emergence of the B-C and Dreher progams the past 15 years and the time the Heise and Eudy families spend with B-C.

How about Kevin's fine program at RV and that #1 national program of a few years ago.Dave Clark's S.V. program has been right there and been bitten by some horrible luck in the play-offs. Columbia has certainly been a dominant area and it makes one wonder what kind of powerhouse Irmo would be if Dutch Fork wasn't there.

So Phil and Wayne, cogratulations and who ever wins , your community is the real winner.

On a side note.After reading the comments about games having to end with P.K'S. A playoff game back in 79 or 80 between Irmo and Sumter went 10 or 11 overtimes. I think it was the following year that the HSL adopted the current system. Perhaps we need to re-examine and have a goal scored on the field determining the winner.

#28818 05/08/05 02:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How can you forget Coach Hiller's success at Chapin?!

#28819 05/08/05 02:49 PM
A
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
A
Greman--You are quite correct,and helping me make my point.Coach Hiller and Chapin have done some wonderful things the past few years and I certainly did not mean to leave them out.I hope I haven't left any others out, but probably have.

#28820 05/08/05 03:45 PM
Goal
Goal
Yes, Columbia soccer is thriving and without the "mega-club" that seems to be clamored for by many on this forum. It just shows that perhaps Columbia is more of a "high school" mentality rather than "club". Not meant to be negative, but maybe the kids just like representing more than themselves during competition. I know my daughters team (RNE) has several good players and they work harder (at least in my opinion) for the school team than the club team(s) that they play on. Now if we can only get our boys program to a level of respectability! Hmmm - any ideas?

PS - You have to tip your hat to the Myrtle Beach area as well for their good postseason runs particularly in the boys division.

#28821 05/09/05 04:46 AM
Brace
Brace
Anthony,

Thanks for the compliments, my friend. It is a blessing to coach in this area, one that I will never take for granted. It is also an honor to be mentioned along with area coaching greats and a pleasure to see them on a regular basis. I am humbled by the whole deal.
I will however, never forget the "old days" coaching in the Low Country and the comaradarie of the area coaches. And, I would be remiss if I did not mention the great families and kids I had the opportunity to work with at Eastside.

Wayne

#28822 05/08/05 05:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, Columbia soccer is thriving and without the "mega-club" that seems to be clamored for by many on this forum

They do have a mega club it's called CSC. Look at the all state teams for proof.

#28823 05/09/05 02:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I tend to agree with you that Columbia is more fanatical about high school soccer than club though there are some exceptions. You can look at CSC's decision to cancel tryouts due to the Irmo-Dutch Fork as evidance of this. Nothing wrong with this- just the way it is.

I don't see where all state teams have any real bearing on whether a club is a mega club or not.

To be fair, All- State is an honor and the kids named are deserving, but let's get real. This is a process where kids are left off because coaches have not nominated their players,kids are left off because they are seen as being of questionable character, or for a lot of other reasons. Demetrius Summers was left off the Shrine Bowl team but there is no way he was not considered the best player in South Carolina, so let's take these all state teams for what they are.This applies to all sports, not just soccer. The all state lists are not the best players in South Carolina and high school and club are two altogether different animals.

#28824 05/09/05 02:27 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Anthony - Thanks for the kind words. Congratulations to the Columbia teams left in the playoffs, should be a fun week!

Girls - Dreher @ B-C, Tuesday
Boys - Dutch Fork @ Irmo, Wednesday

State Championships this weekend!

#28825 05/09/05 09:43 PM
Goal
Goal
I've been watching high school soccer in the Columbia area for the better part of 15 years and can honestly say that the development from the players has been outstanding and the rivalries associated with this area is great. Makes for a fun spring, even though I've seen less soccer this year than the last 10 or so. Looking forward to the state finals this weekend! Thanks to all the coaches that make soccer in the Midlands so fun and interesting!

Link Copied to Clipboard