Page 1 of 2 1 2
#30265 06/16/05 04:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FIFA president Sepp Blatter stated that FIFA is going to try to put microchips inside soccer balls to see if the ball crosses over the goal line. He then says, "We will test the goal-line technology at the FIFA under-17 world championship in Peru. If it works OK, we could introduce the chipped ball at the World Cup 2006."
If it works they will use it, only after one real game test? I don't know about this. It is just like using a computer in baseball to tell if a ball is a strike or not. And other sports can also be an example too. But what I really want to know is what are your personal reflections on this Microchip thing in soccer balls? Imagine, possibly in the future of high school soccer the referees getting to use this technology!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/soccer/wires/06/14/2050.ap.soc.fifa.technology.1st.ld.writethru.0398/index.html

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i think it could be good for field players to see if they scored, but it would not be that great for goalies their can be some pretty close calls on the goal line in close games.

Brace
Brace
The problem is that there is no way to make "instant notification". Will the ball make some kind of noise or light up when it crosses the line?

If there is no "instant notification", then you would have to let play continue until a dead ball and then review the play. What is it's a goal? Do you start with a kickoff and reset the clock? What if there was a card issued during the elapsed time?

I do not think that goal vs. non-goal debates are as prevelant as ball vs. strike calls or if a wide reciever bobbled a ball or got both feet down. If Mr. Blatter wants to install microchips in something, put them on players ankles so that referees can tell when a player is fouled from behind.

If I'm not mistaken, FIFA says any tackle from behind is an automatic yellow. Exhibit #1 is the foul on Eddie Gaven in the U-20 game last night when he was hacked from behind in the box. However, a German player took a dive earlier and drew a yellow on the US defender.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It would most likely be like in hockey. The light over the top of the goal goes off whenever the puck passes across the blue line. I believe it is a unique technological thought but I don't see it ever holding up in the World Cup

goal
goal
Now, I'm not a huge hockey fan, but every (Stingrays) game I've ever been to, the little old guy sitting on the stool on the other side of the plexiglass behind the goal pushes a button when the puck crosses the line, and THAT is what make the light go off. Maybe they do things differently in the big leagues, though.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
no its not different all leagues have little men that sit behind the plexiglass and push a little button when someone score, they usually dont push the button when the puck hits the net, because they can not tell when the puck is in the air if it crosses the line because they are sitting behind the goal and cant tell. it would be cool to create motion sensors in the post and in the puck or ball to see if it goes in or not, then a little light would go off and truely tell if someone scores or not.

bench
bench
quote:
Originally posted by scskeeper:
no its not different all leagues have little men that sit behind the plexiglass and push a little button when someone score, they usually dont push the button when the puck hits the net, because they can not tell when the puck is in the air if it crosses the line because they are sitting behind the goal and cant tell. it would be cool to create motion sensors in the post and in the puck or ball to see if it goes in or not, then a little light would go off and truely tell if someone scores or not.

If you do this you have to put something in the puck/ball so that the keepers foot or anyones foot or hand doesnt set the buzzer off.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
The microchip in the ball will send a signal to the referees watch.

hat-trick
hat-trick
quote:
Originally posted by the voice of reason:
The problem is that there is no way to make "instant notification". Will the ball make some kind of noise or light up when it crosses the line?

If I'm not mistaken, FIFA says any tackle from behind is an automatic yellow. Exhibit #1 is the foul on Eddie Gaven in the U-20 game last night when he was hacked from behind in the box. However, a German player took a dive earlier and drew a yellow on the US defender.

The Voice of Reason, you are mistaken. No where in Law 12 of the Laws of the Game (the fouls and misconduct law) does it mention tackling from behind. That is what referees call Myths of the Game. There are 7 cautionable offenses, and they are as follows.
1. is guilty of unsporting behavior
2. shows dissent by word or action
3. persistently infringes the Laws of the Game
4. delays the restart of play
5. fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner or free kick
6. enters or re-enters the field of play without the referee's permission
7. deliberately leaves the field of play without the referee's permission

corner kick
corner kick
cough cough the infamous one just owned cough cough.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anybody ever heard of the Marathon where the tried the putting the Micro-chip in the right shoe of every runners shoe?

Well the Marathon ended with a photo-finish, but the camera's showed that the one guy one because he crossed the line first, but the Micro-chip said the other guy one because he had his right foot over the line first...

Just, ya know, something to think about! [Wink]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard