Print Thread
#31189 11/13/05 01:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SO, I remember a post last year discussing NC vs. SC highschool soccer.
Can't remember the thoughts exactly but went to a quarterfinal last night to check out North Mech play and I have to say, being a Northwestern fan, they would have rolled over North Mech.
For what I could reason, neither team playing had any sort of mid field. North Mech ended up winning 2-0 but it seemed to be kick ball until an opportunity presented itself. East Forsyth actually settled down and played a better second half with some opportunities but never completed any.

Trying to be partial here, I really think there are 7-8 SC teams that would have rolled over either of these two clubs.

I'm assuming APEX is a better or for real team considering they are out of Raleigh.

Also, there was never a time (although I thought East Forsyth had a player at mid that was OK) that any player became a play maker. Meaning, If a player was faced with a one on one or one on two, they could not make a move and dribble through. It was typically a long kick or turnover.

Anyones thoughts?

#31190 11/13/05 03:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how good is north meck supposed to be compared to other NC schools?

#31191 11/14/05 05:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They are #2 in the state according to Eurosoccer site.

#31192 11/14/05 01:09 PM
world cup
world cup
lowvolt,

You make a good point in stating that you noticed that players seem to have trouble beating a defender on the dribble with a 1v1 move. I'm wondering how many coaches out there are working with forwards and attacking midfielders on this technique? Seems to be a lost art. Lots of emphasis on "possession" or "playing the ball wide and serving into the box" or "combination play" (which is very effective and beautiful to watch when executed properly).

I think coaches should spend more time working with talented players and encouraging them to dribble, go 1v1 and attack the last defender(s).

#31193 11/14/05 04:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It wasn't so much that either team couldn't play the pass back but it seemed (exactly as you spoke) that neither forwards had the ability and because of the inability to go 1v1, most of the possession game came from being forced to pass back or the only alternative I guess.

I was just a bit dissappointed by the play of the teams as a whole.

I do think that EF had a decent Fullback (10) and a good Forward (7) just no real support and they won 22 games this year which also asks the question of the rest of the teams must be real cup cakes.

Not downing the NC highschools, just not agreeing to the last years forum stuff on NC soccer being at a higher level.

#31194 11/14/05 06:02 PM
world cup
world cup
Hard to judge on the boys side because the two states never get to meet in high school matches. On the girls side, FM took on some of Meck county's best teams last spring and certainly did a good job representing the Palmetto State.

Link Copied to Clipboard