Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Star 11 Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
That just brings more confusion into the game, soccer should stay like soccer and not try to bring in rules of other sports, that's what makes soccer original.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
ok i think that teams should be able to have a total of 4 substitutions a game and at half time they can change up the line as much as they want. if strategy comes into play then their should be two substitutions a half and an unlimited amount at half.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
as for injuries a substitution wouldnt count if and only if they replace the one injured player.

S
Star 11 Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
not a bad thought there swansea, i kinda agree with the 2 per half and unlimited at the half

however i think injuries should count for a substitution but only if the player who is injured is NOT returning for the rest of the half, if it is just a temp, i don't think it should count as a sub

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
An injury is unexpected, you never know when one will happen just keep the game like it is. I say substitutions should stay the same for high school soccer.

E
goal kick
goal kick
E
Brilliant topic star 11. What a great discussion.
I think that if a team has exhausted it's subs and may substitute on an injury, we may start seeing some (more?) fabricated injuries late in some tight, often very important games.
It's important to note that what was suggested was a limit on substitutions, not an elimination. What effect any new rule may have would depend on how stringent it is. If we allowed only 2 subs per game then we would see a lot of lopsided scores, injuries, etc. But if we limited a player to come off the field only twice in a game before returning or limited substitutions to 4-6 per half we would see a lot of players playing and learning to play through moments of fatigue and we would see a lot of coaches giving differnt sorts of consideration to how and when they substitute.
Also, I'm not sure the SCHSL would have the authority to make such a change or if it would have to be made at the national level.

C
kick off
kick off
C
Limiting subs will not accomplish anything in HS soccer.If you limit subs, but don't count injuries every player will come done with an injury. If you limit to 2 subs per game why would you ever need to dress more than 13 players.

S
Star 11 Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
Thanks for the praise Edmund. CCsoccer, what i'm trying to say is that with the 2 subs per half, it would take off tired players, if there was to be an injury and it was for the whole game, it would count as a sub, however if it was a temporary one where a player would come in for a few minutes till the injured has recovered, it would not be counted as a sub. But thinking about i think that would be complicated in ruling whether a player is eligible to play for the whole game or not. So how about 3 substitutions during each half, and unlimited at the end of the first half. That sounds fair to me. I also like Edmund's theory of a player being limited to coming off the field twice but the thing is that it would be a major stress on the officiating crew on keeping up with who has been on and off. I think the 3 subs during a half and unlimited at the half is a perfect solution. (it could be more but i'm just making a generalized statement on the topic).
CCsoccer also to reinforce the main idea of the topic, limiting subs will accomplish a lot in high school soccer, it tests the players stamina and their ability to perform through a rough time instead of just releaving himself everytime he feels tired. A good example is let's say you are a A school and you are playing a AAAA school, you have 16 players total, while the AAAA team has 30 players total. Now let's say that the skill level of all players on both teams are equal. With the current rule of unlimited substitutions, if you see your players get tired, and you only have 5 people on the bench it is going to be hard to keep fresh players on the field, now the AAAA school will rotate their whole team out almost in rounds of 3 every 5-8 minutes, whose team do you think will last longer, yours or theirs ? I hope you can relate to what i'm trying to express through this topic here, with limiting substitutions it will bring teams to an even playing field and test out their skills in stamina and so forth and their ability to play for 80-90% of the game in good condition.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Star

I know of plenty AAAA teams who dont have 30 quality players on the team. South Aiken comes to mind from last year as does Northwestern and Dorman. Having watched all three teams play last year, most starters played 70-80 mins a game (at least in the close games). Their coaches obviously stressed being fit and made very few changes. Do you think players like Geathers and Arroyo, etc came off the field in close matches?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some coaches dont even sub the first half. If any limits on the subs it should only be the second half. They shouldn't limit substitutions, they are part of the game.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard