Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
kick off
kick off
K
I'll go back to an earlier post by "the voice of reason" - "You are telling me that (with sub limitations), i have to ... 4. not be able to call up JV or less skilled player to give them the excitement of playing in a varsity match." If your JV & Varsity boys travel together as they do this year in Reg VII 4A, your JV players probably will not be able to play Varsity b/c they will have just played in the JV game.

B
goal
goal
B
Star,

Limit Subs? From my perspective, no.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
"Limiting subs would increase the competitiveness greatly. Like star said, players would be constantly challenging eachother for starting spots."

What programs do you know where bench players do not care to challenge for a starting spot? I would like to transfer to this school so I could just rest on my laurels. As far as I have seen, it still means something to be a starter. Players take pride in earning a starting spot. Substition rules have nothing to do with it.

The posts on this thread make it sound like high school soccer is a substitution exhibition with a little soccer in between. Does this happen? Do coaches sub 6 or 7 people at a time? Do coaches sub after 10 minutes?

In a competitive contest, the starting 11 play the majority of the game. From what I have seen substitutions are made based on strategy or fatigue but when two quality programs battle it out, the players that have earned their starting spot also earn continued playing time by the play in the game. I would assume most are in match condition to play at least 70 minutes of the match.

In non-competitive contests, the players are still in match condition, they are not going to slow down because of fatigue. In some regions, as many as 40% of the games are a mismatch. Give the starters a run because they have earned the chance to play and then let the subs and JV players step have a chance.

corner kick
corner kick
quote:
Originally posted by kickman:
So let me get this right alkie...
The games you have watched you have not enjoyed because while sitting there you think

"Why are so many people playing?--this game would be much closer if less people were playing."

"This game has too many goals because the forwards are shooting too much. I wish they would stop putting those subs in so the forwards would just hang around midfield."

"I wish high school soccer was more like pro soccer where teams hardly ever score and they kick the ball around the whole time, mostly backwards."

And in the blowouts,

"I wish the winning team wouldn't put those crappy subs in to run up the score"

None of these thoughts have occurred to me in the games I've watched.

ya, that's right, that's exactly what i'm saying. Common, where did you get that out of what I just said?

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard