Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#32832 02/22/06 01:28 PM
world cup
world cup
According to the Rock Hill Herald, Nathan's appeals hearing is at 2 PM today.

Arroyo's appeal set for today

By Barry Byers The Herald
(Published February 22‚ 2006)

Northwestern High School administrators are headed to Columbia today, hoping to get a reversal on a decision by the South Carolina High School League last Tuesday involving soccer standout Nathan Arroyo.
Jerome Singleton, the league's executive director, ruled last Tuesday that Arroyo is out of eligibility and because he punted for the football team in the fall, the Trojans must forfeit the four games they won.

Northwestern's representatives will make an appeal before the league's 16-member executive committee at 2 p.m. today. Singleton said last week that today's meeting was put on the league's calendar and listed as tentative, but because several other appeals have been received, the decision to meet was made.

Singleton confirmed on Tuesday that the Arroyo appeal is on today's agenda.

Arroyo moved to Rock Hill from the Atlanta area last year and established himself as one of the top boys soccer players in the state. He set a school record for most goals, 46, and points, 122, in a season

His eligibility came in question when spring sports eligibility forms were being done. His transcripts show that he started high school in 2002, which would make this his senior season.

In doing the eligibility forms, it was noticed that several courses had "transfer" written beside them, which was questioned. After the school investigated the situation, it was discovered that Arroyo actually began the ninth grade at a private school, making this year his fifth in high school.

According to SCHSL rules, once a student begins his or her freshman year, he or she is allowed eight consecutive semesters to play sports.

Upon finding the error, Northwestern notified the SCHSL of the situation and asked for a ruling.

Arroyo did not play sports at the private school. He repeated the ninth grade at a public school.

Barry Byers • 329-4099

bbyers@heraldonline.com

#32833 02/22/06 03:21 PM
goal
goal
Honestly I feel for the kid, but rules are rules. It would be the same if he failed a grade and this is no different. If it does get overturned the SCHSL will hear some complaints from me and I am sure some others.

#32834 02/22/06 08:12 PM
T
kick off
kick off
T
I'm not trying to start any arguments here but isn't this a lot like the Casey Clausen issue. I mean the kid is a year older then everybody else in highschool right now. This means that he has had an extra year to grow and develope and now he is the number one recruit in the nation (but for some reason, nobody in the country has a problem with that). I understand the circumstances are different but at least nathan is playing with kids his own age. Once again, not an argument, just a comment

#32835 02/22/06 08:59 PM
T
kick off
kick off
T
my b. i meant jimmy clausen.

#32836 02/22/06 09:04 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Northwestern Player's Appeal Rejected

Published February 22‚ 2006

COLUMBIA - By an 8-2 vote, the appeal of Northwestern soccer star Natan Arroyo was turned down by the executive committe of the South Carolina High School League on Wednesday.

Arroyo, a senior at Northwestern, was declared ineligible because he is in his 10th semester of high school. He began the ninth grade at the Greater Atlantc Christain School but did not play sports. He repeated the ninth grade in at Atlanta public school and began playing soccer his freshman year.

High school league rules state that once a student enters the ninth grade, he or she has eight consecutive semeseters of athletic eligibility.

Arroyo's appeal was presented by principal James Blake and director of athletics Jimmy Wallace. Arroyo was allowed to speak on his behalf. Arroyo was the Class AAA player of the year last season and the Trojans are one of the favorites to win the state championship this spring.

Arroyo also punted for the football team last fall, after quarterback and punter Bart Blanchard was injured and missed 11 games. Because Arroyo was ineligible, the school must forfeit its four wins and the school's record will drop to 0-12.

The football matter was ruled on separately, and the decision to forfeit the games came on a 9-0 vote, with some abstentions. The football program could have been placed on probation, but Blake said the team will receive only a warning.

#32837 02/22/06 11:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And it would only cost $8000 to take to court...

#32838 02/22/06 11:43 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
And the record beings..with a song of rebellion.

#32839 02/23/06 01:22 PM
world cup
world cup
From today's Rock Hill Herald:

Trojan soccer star loses appeal
SCHSL rejects Arroyo's bid to play after clerical error

By Barry Byers The Herald
(Published February 23‚ 2006)

COLUMBIA -- By an 8-2 vote, the appeal of Northwestern soccer star Nathan Arroyo was turned down by the executive committee of the South Carolina High School League on Wednesday.
Arroyo, a senior, was declared ineligible because he is in his 10th semester of high school. He began the ninth grade at the Greater Atlanta Christian School but did not play sports. He repeated the ninth grade in an Atlanta public school and began playing soccer his freshman year.

Under high school league rules, once a student enters the ninth grade, he or she has eight consecutive semesters of eligibility.

Arroyo's appeal was presented by Northwestern principal James Blake and director of athletics Jimmy Wallace. Arroyo was allowed to speak on his behalf.

"I'll stay with my team as the manager,'' Arroyo said after the ruling. "I thought I had more of a chance. I definitely want to thank Ben Freeman. I wish the other people would have felt the same way.''

Freeman, Pelion High School athletic director, and Quincy Moore, principal at Gaffney High School, cast the votes in Arroyo's favor. Blake and Wallace said Arroyo was a victim of a clerical error on his transcripts.

"I have a hard time penalizing him because this is not his fault,'' Freeman said before the vote. "It was a clerical error. He still has a semester left and I hate to take it away from him.''

Arroyo was the Class AAAA Player of the Year last season, and the Trojans are one of the favorites to win the state championship this spring. He led the Trojans to the Upper State championship, setting school records with 46 goals and 122 points.

He also punted for the football team after quarterback and punter Bart Blanchard was injured and missed 11 games. The football team must forfeit four wins, dropping it's record to 0-12.

The football matter was ruled on separately, and the decision came on a 9-0 vote, with some abstentions. The football program could have been placed on probation, but Blake said the team will receive only a warning.

Rock Hill attorney David Benson attended the meeting to support Arroyo. He said Arroyo will not be defeated by the SCHSL.

"Nathan is a champion and this will not change his life,'' Benson said. "He's proved in the classroom and on the soccer field that he believes in hard work. It hurts, doesn't feel right and doesn't feel fair. But Nathan is not a quitter.''

Barry Byers • 329-4099

bbyers@heraldonline.com

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard