OP Offline
kick off
B
From the Rock Hill Herald:
http://www.buzzfans.com/sports/story/5524916p-4976755c.html

Eligibility of Trojans' standout questioned

By Barry Byers The Herald
(Published February 14‚ 2006)

The eligibility of Northwestern High School soccer standout Nathan Arroyo, the top senior soccer player in the state, has come into question and his career could be over unless the school gets a favorable ruling from the South Carolina High School League.

High school athletes in South Carolina are allowed eight straight semesters of eligibility once they reach the ninth grade. In question is a year Arroyo spent at a private school in Atlanta, where he did not participate in athletics.

While checking Arroyo's transfer transcripts on Friday, Northwestern athletics director Jimmy Wallace discovered there could be a problem.

"We missed catching the extra year because of a clerical error,'' Wallace said Monday. "The league rules state that once you enter the ninth grade, you have eight straight semesters to complete your eligibility. Because Nathan attended a private school for a year, then transferred to a public school and repeated the grade, he's in his 10th semester right now.

"But this isn't over. I've talked to the high school league and they told me that our principal needed to send a letter of explanation. We will draft the letter this afternoon and get it to them right away. They will make a decision on the rules that define eligibility and will get back with us as soon as possible with their decision.''

Arroyo's transcripts show that he started high school in 2002, which would make him eligible. While going over the papers during the process of doing eligibility forms for the school's soccer players, Wallace saw the word "transfer" next to several classes.

Talking with Arroyo, Wallace learned of the year in private school.

Arroyo, who moved to Rock Hill from Atlanta before the 2004-05 school year, was named Class AAAA Player of the Year last season, after scoring 46 goals and piling up 122 points.

The Trojans finished 25-2 and were ranked No. 1 in Class AAAA all but one week during the regular season. They were ranked No. 1 nationally for four weeks by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America.

Northwestern is ranked No. 1 heading into this season, which starts in March.

Former Northwestern soccer coach Nick Finotti said last spring that several Division I schools were prepared to offer Arroyo a scholarship.

Arroyo was the punter for Northwestern's football team in the fall after Bart Blanchard went down with an injury in the season opener. If the high school league rules Arroyo ineligible, Wallace said the Trojans could end up forfeiting the four football games they won.

According to Wallace, Arroyo will be allowed to practice with the soccer team but will not be allowed to compete in scrimmages or games.

Roger Hazel of the SCHSL said the situation would be discussed once the letter arrives from Northwestern. If a hardship that would allow Arroyo to play is asked for, it would be considered before a ruling is made.

If the ruling goes against Arroyo, Hazel said, Northwestern can file an appeal for a hearing before the high school league's executive committee. Hazel said the group's next meeting is scheduled for April.

Stacy Winne, Arroyo's stepfather, said his son did not play sports at the private school, but went there to improve his grades. Because his grades did not improve, he and his wife moved Arroyo back to a public school the following year to repeat the ninth grade.

"All we want for Nathan is for him to play so he can enjoy the sport he loves so much," Winne said. "He wants to play soccer at a big college and to do that you have to play and be seen.

"We can understand why the rule is in place, to keep schools from holding a kid back a year so he can get bigger and stronger. But that is not the case here. What we did in Atlanta was based on grades, and Nathan has worked hard to improve his GPA in his two years at Northwestern."

Barry Byers • 329-4099

bbyers@heraldonline.com

#32763 02/14/06 01:18 PM
world cup
world cup
Unfortunate for Nathan, I feel bad for him. I'm very surprised that this wasn't detected back in the fall.....can't believe that Northwestern would jeopardize their football season.

Nothing "dirty" here on the part of the Trojans. Nathan first enrolled last year, it's not like he's been in the district all his life. No one purposely "red-shirted" him, besides, everyone knows that you do that in 8th grade, you don't wait until 9th.

#32764 02/14/06 01:53 PM
B
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
B
The school's administration should have evaluated his eligibility as soon as he transferred to NW. The rule is very straightforward and it's hard to see how they can argue for a hardship case.

#32765 02/14/06 02:21 PM
world cup
world cup
You're right, they should have. Obviously they didn't because you would have figured two things would have happened:

1. They would have "tipped off" Nathan last season that this could possibly be his last year.
2. They would have never let him on the football field in the fall.

#32766 02/14/06 02:23 PM
World Cup
World Cup
This is a very unfortunate situation for Nathan Arroyo and the Northwestern HS boys soccer team.

However, this really makes you wonder about the role of the Guidance Department upon Arroyo's transfer to NHS and how the Athletics Department didn't notice this last year.

One comment from Barry Byers' story "Northwestern is ranked No. 1 heading into this season, which starts in March." -- actually, Dutch Fork is #1 in Class 4A entering this weekend's preseason tournaments (which do count on overall records).

#32767 02/14/06 02:26 PM
brace
brace
That would really be unfortunate if he can't play. I agree, NW should have caught this earlier.

This obviously hurts NW some, but they are so deep in talent this year that they will still be very good. I'm not sure that they are going to be my "win all" pick now.

It's time to rethink things a bit...

#32768 02/14/06 06:26 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
It is beyond me how a high school would allow such a great athlete in their doors without knowing what his/her eligibilty standings were!!!

#32769 02/14/06 09:51 PM
corner kick
corner kick
i remember a few years ago at Ben lippen we had a player who was a few days too old. and had to forfit every game that he played in, luckily he was suspended a few games and we caught the error before the season ended so we still made the playoffs. Kinda sucks for arroyo. I guess he wont be playing soccer this year.

#32770 02/14/06 11:16 PM
R
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
R
Arroyo has been ruled ineligable by the SCHSL. NW's only other option is to file a hardship appeal that would be heard Feb 22.

Northwestern Punter ruled ineligble, Trojans forfeit 2005 football victories
Barry Byers, The Herald
February 14, 2006

The South Carolina High School League ruled Tuesday that Northwestern’s High School’s Nathan Arroyo has completed his eligibility and will not be allowed to play soccer for the Trojans this season.Northwestern will also forfeit the four football games it won last fall. Arroyo was the backup punter, but became the starter the second game in place of injured Bart Blanchard.

Jerome Singleton, the league’s executive secretary, said league rules state that once a student-athlete reaches the ninth grade, he or she has eight straight semesters to complete his or her high school athletic eligibility.

“We received the information Northwestern supplied and according to our rules, he is ineligible,’’ Singleton said. “The next step, if Northwestern decides to take it, is to file a hardship appeal. If they do, it would be heard before our executive committee, which meets on Feb. 22.’’

The 16-member executive committee meets and rules on appeals and was not scheduled to meet again until April. Singleton said a tentative meeting was scheduled for February, and because several cases have come up since the January meeting, the league decided Tuesday morning to call a meeting next Wednesday.

Northwestern principal James Blake said he and Jimmy Wallace, the school's athletics director, would meet later in the aftrernoon and decide if an appeal will be made.

Arroyo moved to Rock Hill from Atlanta last year and his transcripts showed he entered the ninth-grade in 2002. The transcript didn’t show that he had actually begun the ninth grade at private church school. It was missed before football season but caught when spring sports eligibilty forms were being completed.

Stacy Winne, Arroyo’s stepfather, said Monday that Arroyo went to the private school to improve his grades and did not compete in sports. After a year, Arroyo returned to the public school system and repeated the ninth grade. He played soccer in the spring.

Arroyo was named Class AAAA Player of the Year last season, after scoring 46 goals and piling up 122 points. The Trojans finished 25-2 and were ranked No. 1 in Class AAAA all but one week during the regular season. They were ranked No. 1 nationally for four weeks by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America.

#32771 02/14/06 11:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Folks,

If you do not think there is a hardship case here.
Let me tell you a few things.

Nathan has been playing soccer since he was 5. He comes from a broken family where his mother basically did everything she could to support and afford his soccer through the early years.

I have had the fortunate responsibility of raising this child through the years and spending any monies it took so that he could play year around, over seas, camps, travel and guest teams, you name it.

Most of you know that is take 1000's of dollars a year to truly play where the action is. This includes forfeiting our honey-moon a couple years ago.

I have poured my heart and soul into this child to do what is right academically and athletically.

He has been in 4 schools in that last 4 years. He has been an ambassador of the sport at school.
He wanted to play football partially to be around the kids that he normally did not have a chance to meet.

Most colleges have never heard of Nathan before he came here. His last year was a result of very hard work, a great coaching staff and a team that instantly surrounded him like a brotherhood.
Most folks would think he grew up here for how fast the relationships grew.

Not in any way shape or form were we knowledgeable of the rules or to even think about them, seriously. He has only played 3 years of soccer to date also. I could see if he had contributed 4.

This year is a vital year for him for there are several college coaches that need to see him play as for a possible shot at a scholarship.

Nathan has also been battling the 1.14 GPA the private school left him. He has been working to achieve at least a 3.0 for admissions purposes.

If the football team takes a hit, it’s exactly that, because of a mistake in error with the Athletic Dept. Understand also that this was and easy mistake for I had to visit the office several times and call repeatedly to his past schools to get his transcripts updated. Nathan wasn't even sure he was taking the proper classes his first semester at the school because of this and it wasn't until this past fall they were proper, so error is to be human.

Its tough enough to have high hopes and dreams, work your tale off, to think you could be the first of the 4 in the family to be successful and go on to college possibly playing for a team you have hoped for, just to have it taken away because you did not succeed in a private school 4 years ago.

This ruling is only hurting the child, nothing more. It is prohibiting the possible success of a student athlete that has broken no rules.

Folks, you read some of the sarcasm I do on this board once in a while. Nothing is taken negatively or personally. Sorry if I have used this board to vent a tad.

Understand one thing... You’re getting information about one boy, a day in the life. Could happen anywhere.

I can't have another boy like this. There isn't many who can.

#32772 02/15/06 12:01 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Well Danny, I will have you know that if the schools ar interested in him then High School soccer isn't going to make or break his chances. Really and truthfully, many college coaches try to stay away from this awful sight of high school soccer. So don't think that if by some chance he doesn't get to play that he won't go to college. As long as Nathan finds a team to train with and keeps his skills up then he will prosper just as he would have prospered with high school.

#32773 02/15/06 12:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Possibly...
But its hard to come to the realization that all your goal this year, individually and with his team members are gone.

I come from the north, where you can apply to be a 5th year senior as long as you have not had more than 4 years of eligibily in athletics.

This is also reviewed, just not in the 5 minutes it took SCHSL

#32774 02/15/06 02:35 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Well rules are rules. If a rule was broken its safe to assume that it wouldnt take SCHSL too long to make a decision. However i do hope you get everything worked out and a great soccer player is able to play this season.

#32775 02/15/06 03:38 AM
T
kick off
kick off
T
Then,Arroyo was pretty much a senior last year and this year he will be about 25 years old.

#32776 02/15/06 03:42 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Something that seems pretty weird to me is that although i do think the school should have noticed this. How did Arroyo and his family think it was ok to play for 5 years? I mean even if he didnt play sports his 9th grade year you cant just play varsity for 5 years.

#32777 02/15/06 03:49 AM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
Danny, Bite Me....

The Dutch Fork girls team did nothing wrong....but a coach screwed up....why punish the girls.

The facts are....Arroyo is old enough he couldn't even play u18 club. I would say the extra year probably helped him. It really sucks that academically he struggles, but that doesn't make it right for him to get extra time at the varsity level.

I agree it is a shame for him this year, but if he is good enough to play D1 soccer, he will be there.

By the way, if his grades suck so bad, how is he going to college anyway. If he is struggling to make the grades, he ain't going D1 anyway. If the schools were looking at him last year, I am sure that the schools he is qualified for are still interested.

Going back to the DF girls, rules are rules, sometimes they stink (unless you are Summerville), sometimes they are great.

The bottom line. You are allowed 8 CONTINUOUS semesters once you enter the 9th grade....I see nowhere that there is a hardship rule. I see a lot of instances where an injury could be seen as a way to hold a kid back. If they let him play and don't let the DF girls go to the playoffs, I see a SCHSL that has no place in high school sports.

Either uphold the rules or don't. Then SCHSL already has a black eye in my mind over the Summerville decision. Lets see how bad they get now.

I do believe that Nathan is a good kid, but 8 semesters is 8 semesters.

What if my kid gets hurt and I apply for a hardship....

Give me a break....

Maybe he wouldn't have led the state in scoring if he wasn't already senior age already....who knows.

Everybody always wants to follow the rules until it applies to them, then all goes out the window.

Bottom line.....The DF girls team is full of great kids and they got screwed because of a stupid decision by the coach....How is that different. The girls get hurt, he gets hurt.

I don't like the high school league either, but they are only choice we have.

Either we live by their decisions or we get rid of them. How do we get rid of them. I thought it would get better after Ronnie M. left, but the Summerville decision leaves me numb....lets all revolt....hahahahahah.

The Ad's and the SCHSL run it all. Fair or not, they make the rules.

#32778 02/15/06 12:56 PM
R
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
R
quote:
Originally posted by kickman:
First, rules are not our masters--it is cowardice to hide behind rules. They are guidelines and we have directors, boards, etc. to interpret, apply, judge, and in many cases make exceptions.

Well said!

#32779 02/15/06 01:48 PM
B
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
B
Previously posted:
"the key is did he play 9th grade--if it can be verified that he did not, then let him play his 4th year."

If you follow this logic, then every high school student should be allowed to stop playing sports for a year, repeat that grade, and then resume playing the next year without losing a year of eligibility. I don't think we want to promote this.

#32780 02/15/06 01:52 PM
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
The Count

did you read the article? How many parents actually know the rule, much less some that have been here for a little over a year.

Cates

Come on man. Regardless of his age last year (ie jr or sr) it would not have made a difference on the field. If that was his sr year, he would have lead the state in scoring, been North South, etc. I have known a few players that were to old to play u18 club their senior year. it did not mean that they did something wrong. Lastly, did you read the article? His grades are struggling because of his year he spent at the private school. According to the article, they are getting better. Stop attacking the kid!

#32781 02/15/06 02:00 PM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
Not attacking the kid. By everybody but bruin's reasoning (and mine), the rule is not about eligiblilty, it is about eligibility used. What if one of the stars on the team is struggling grade wise as a sophomore and can't play. Should they be allowed to stay back and still enjoy the fifth year. I think not. That just opens pandoras box.

I have not seen very many kids that I know that couldn't play club during their senior year, but thats just me.

I will agree that he is a great player. Maybe he should not play in the spring and work on his grades, then maybe he can play in college.

#32782 02/15/06 02:02 PM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
Lower, by the way I did read it before and I just re-read it again. His grades were struggling before he went to the private school and they didn't get better while he was there, so he transferred back out.

MAybe you should have read it a little closer.

#32783 02/15/06 02:14 PM
brace
brace
I'm sure that this will be a hot and controversial topic for the immediate future, but the reality right now is that he has been ruled inelidgeable to play by the SCHSL. Given the strictness of that organization and the strictness of school districts in today's world, I would not expect them to change their verdict on this. Getting outside of sports a little, the schools (at least in Greenville) have had a no tolerance policy for any rule broken and the punishment is usually severe, even if the person had no knowledge of breaking the rule. In that light, I expect SCHSL to follow their rules as rules, and not guidelines. I really don't know how SCHSL defines "hardship" so it's really hard to tell if the appeal will work or not.

#32784 02/15/06 02:31 PM
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
yes his grades were bad. what has happened since he transferred back out? OH his grades have improved. So he has worked hard to get his grades better so that he can go play college soccer. The year at the private school hurt his GPA because it was 9th grade. The year before did not because obviously that was 8th grade.

#32785 02/15/06 02:35 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Yes i did read the article. Why would i be commenting if i didnt? The message i was trying to convey there is that he or his parents should have known that you cant do that. It doesnt matter if you transfer from another state. Im pretty sure if you have to repeat a grade you still cant play sports in Georgia as well.

#32786 02/15/06 02:57 PM
goal
goal
How was he eligible to play sports in the first place with such a low GPA?

#32787 02/15/06 03:57 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
So the conclusion I am coming too from many of the responses is that if you are having academic problems then you are granted another year of eligibility. So therefore if a junior fails a class and is not able to graduate on time and has to go back for another year, he should be granted another year of eligibility? If he is ruled eligible to play then this could open up a lot of discussions on what makes a player eligible and what doesn't. SCHSL could end up causing a lot of trouble by allowing Nathan to play.

#32788 02/15/06 04:04 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
Or they could let him play..make a lot of people upset.. and just let the double standard stand without any real explanation.. which they seem to do at least once a year.

#32789 02/15/06 04:07 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
This is true, the state is not very consistant. I am not against Nathan or him playing but by doing this the state will open up an arguement that I don't think they want to do. As for Nathan, I am sure that everything will work out for him and if he is eligible to attend college and play then I am sure that he will.

#32790 02/15/06 04:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not sure where I stand on this decision specifically regarding Arroyo however I would like to weigh in regarding the extra year of eligibility.

In NY state we had 5 years to play 4. I find it hard to believe that this rule was put in place so that students could intentionally fail classes so as to be an extra year older and thus gain an advantage. Rather, it seems more likely to me that the High School League recognized that there will be times in athlete's lives where they may be struggling academically and in those times they should put their full resources towards academics. That being said, if a student is unable to "right the ship" then they would not be penalized and lose the year of eligibility.

South Carolina's rule as it stands punishes students who may decide that they are struggling in school and need to dedicate the year to their academics. It says to students, even if you're struggling in school you have to play this year if you want to use all of your available eligibility. The student's dual focus results in the student's academic standing to suffer even further.

If the rule were changed would we see a dramatic increase in the number of athletes intentionally failing in order to be a year older? Certainly not, those who would employ such a rediculous practice are currently doing it at the 8th grade. The rule change would simply allow more flexibility for rare situations like this that occur.

Sad to see the end of this student's high school eligibility, however, as stated before, division 1 schools who were interested in this student will continue to be. Most of their signings for the next season have already occurred and those who remain interested will gladly travel to view a club match where they can watch several potential recruits all at once. The real losers in this scenario are Arroyo's teammates who have lost out on a significant cog to their team (as well as the free publicity/recruiting that they would have received from coaches coming to watch Arroyo).

Good luck and best wishes as the season begins

#32791 02/16/06 05:26 AM
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
For the last time, the article states that he struggled his freshman year. After that, according to his stepfather, he has been working extremely hard to get his GPA up. So Always Right, obviously his GPA was high enough to play high school soccer last year.

#32792 02/16/06 05:39 AM
brace
brace
I have seen Arroyo in action before and I will agree that he is a very good player. In this light, I wonder why he hasn't signed with a college already. He easily has the skills to play in college. If we go on the premise that his grades are not good enough to get him in college and that he wants to play soccer in college, then his focus should be on getting his grades up and forgetting about high school soccer. I understand the love of high school soccer for a player but to be realistic, high school soccer is not one's best chance at playing soccer in college. He would be better off by getting on a showcase team or the like that actually plays in front of college coaches. CESA's College Showcase program comes to mind here. High school soccer, although enjoyable, will give him the least chance of getting seen so that he can get to the next level.

And since we are talking about grades and GPA here, if his grades are so low that he cannot get into a college to play soccer, how is he playing soccer in high school? From my experience, there are requirements to play high school sports.

#32793 02/16/06 05:48 AM
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
requirements to play high school athletics and to be accepted by certain universities differ. Case in point: Brian Przybyla. He graduated last May, but did not enroll at USC until this spring. I believe it was because of SATs. I BELIEVE most universities now use some type of slide scale where the higher the GPA, the lower your SAT can be and the lower the GPA, the higher your SAT has to be.

#32794 02/15/06 06:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NCAA has minimum SAT requirements. I think it's an 850.

#32795 02/16/06 03:03 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Thereis also a minimum GPA for the NCAA Clearing House to declare you eligible to play college soccer. College coaches most of the time will not even pay attention to a student who is not cleared by the clearing house.

#32796 02/16/06 03:11 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Hes a great soccer player and im sure that if he puts in some study time and does well on the SAT he will be able to play soccer in college. Although it seems to me that he would not be happy playing for anything but a well known Div.1 school. If anyone knows would he be satisfied with perhaps a Div.2 School after this incident?

#32797 02/16/06 03:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Folks,

First off, WHO is RCates? And what hell are you talking about with the Girls team or whatever.
I have no idea where you are going with your crap!
You make no sense and have no idea of the issue.

Ok, whether anyone should think he should be aloud or not, the skinny is just as Lower state stated!

Nathan had the availability to go to a private school entering his 9th grade. I am not sure where the REPORTER got that he went there to better his grades. He was doing fine and how hard is 8th grade anyways.
The issue was the Private school and the workload, difference in class study and overall dynamics of the situation. He did not do very well with his studies and therefore could not and was not eligible for sports.
He then went back to public school and repeated his 9th grade and played soccer.
His grades are fine; he has a 3.25 GPA since being at NW. He is battling a 1.14 from the experience at the private school.

WHAT the ISSUE is that he had a chance at a private school (which is not influenced or govern by the state athletics board) and just did not fair to well which is NOW penalizing him to be able to play a 4th year of soccer.
He is 18, not 19 not 25.... There is no U-19 team local here that he could get onto last year.

He is just looking to play 4 years of HS soccer.

I agree, it’s a no brainer that Club soccer is where the coaches go, but if they know about him from last year and want to see him this year, and there isn't a club team to play for, the high school team is the next best thing.

Besides, do not insult me with any of your comments about not being a big deal unless you were in his shoes, his life, and have his goals at stake...
There ARE 3 D1 coaches interested in seeing him play this year. They did not get a chance last year and this is a very good time to follow him...

Hey, it’s easy to forecast and pass your judgment; everyone’s a pro on this board in doing so...

When it’s you, or you’re in the shoes it’s a little different...

#32798 02/16/06 04:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
has he been in 8 consecutive semesters of HS? If so then he can't play....if not then play on. That's the rule. WHICH part don't you get. It does not matter where or what school he attend if he has been in HS(9th) grade for more thatn 8 CONSECUTIVE semesters then he is not able to play.

If a kids fails at Greenville High his freshman year he can't play his senior year. period. same case here.

[Confused] [Confused] [Mad]

#32799 02/16/06 04:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I understand that richard weed!

[ February 16, 2006, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Kyle Heise ]

#32800 02/16/06 05:45 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
You know..at first.. I was feeling sorry for Arroyo.. I was sympathizing with this situation. Then I started thinking back..and I remembered when I played we definitely had a guy declared ineligible due to his age. That was that.

And yeah.. I'm certain Nathan is a much more skilled player than this kid was. But..this "hardship" stuff.. has got to go. I've read your explanation with an openmind. But..this kid that didn't get to play his senior year.. left his family to get out of Mexico (living with cousins)..to get an education..and maybe get to play the game he loves too.

He didn't play his freshmen year..failed sophomore..played the year he repeated.. played his "junior" year..and couldn't play his senior year. No motions were filed..no ranting and raving.

It's unfortunate for Nathan..really..but you as his gaurdian (or whatever relation you are to him) should realize that these trials are what make us stronger and more determined.

Life is a b*tch..suck it up. Ya know?

#32801 02/16/06 01:31 PM
world cup
world cup
In today's Rock Hill Herald, on the Opinion Page, the paper goes to bat for Nathan Arroyo.

Let Arroyo play soccer

Prep school athletes and their coaches must abide by league rules regarding eligibility. But a good case could be made for allowing Northwestern High School soccer player Nathan Arroyo to participate during his senior year.
According to rules established by the South Carolina High School League, high school athletes in the state are allowed eight straight semesters of eligibility once they reach the ninth grade. It's a sensible rule; without it, coaches might be tempted to coax star athletes to delay graduation and play another season.

But Arroyo's problem stems from a year he spent at a private school in Atlanta where he did not participate in athletics. Northwestern athletics director Jimmy Wallace said that, because of a clerical error, Arroyo's history as a transfer student went unnoticed until recently.

Arroyo started ninth grade at a private church school in Atlanta. After a year there, he returned to the public school system and repeated the ninth grade, where he played soccer in the spring. He moved to Rock Hill from Atlanta last year and played on Northwestern's football team as a punter in the fall and on the soccer team last spring.

Arroyo excelled at soccer. He was named Class AAAA Player of the Year last season, after scoring 46 goals and amassing 122 points. The Trojans finished 25-2 and were ranked No. 1 in Class AAAA all but one week during the regular season, and were ranked No. 1 nationally for four weeks by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America.

Tuesday, the SCHSL ruled that Arroyo has completed his eligibility and will not be allowed to play soccer this season. Furthermore, Northwestern will forfeit the four football games it won last fall when Arroyo took over for injured starting punter Bart Blanchard.

Technically, that ruling fits the facts. Nevertheless, we think Northwestern is justified in appealing the decision and hope the league will reverse its decision.

During the year that Arroyo attended private school, he didn't play sports. There is no evidence that he intentionally flouted eligibility rules. His parents say they made him repeat the ninth grade because they weren't satisfied with the academic progress he had shown in private school.

We don't think the league should make an exception for Arroyo because he is an outstanding athlete. The rule he violated was intended to prevent teams gaining an unfair advantage by, in effect, red-shirting players. That does not appear to have been the case here.

Banning Nathan Arroyo from playing his entire final season seems an overly harsh punishment to us.

IN SUMMARY
Because local soccer standout didn't play sports at private school, we hope league will reconsider ruling.

#32802 02/16/06 02:00 PM
goal
goal
High shcool is where you go to learn, to be educated. Sports are a side note to that. The rule states that you have 8 semesters(or 4 years) to complete that eligibility. If you have to take a year off from sports to improve grades so be it, you lose a year of eligibility. Not playing is the result of not making the grade. Why should he be an exception? Grades first! He and his guardians choose to take a year for grades, well, that is a year he loses. If the high school league lets him play then they might as well let all kids, passing or not, good grades or bad, participate in the athletic programs or give them an extra year. Does this sound right? No. Sorry Arroyo, you used your time, its not punishment but a rule.

#32803 02/16/06 02:56 PM
X
x Offline
goal kick
goal kick
X
Dick weed and ***** cat. I'm smelling a ban here.

#32804 02/16/06 03:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I will tell you what Danny you sure are gaining firends fast here.
\First you come on this board w/ your Vinnie jones wit then want everyone to support your cause? The rule is the rule deal with it.

#32805 02/16/06 03:08 PM
X
x Offline
goal kick
goal kick
X
Keyzer,
He can't help it. Couldn't get on Springer so he's bringing it to scsoccer.

#32806 02/17/06 05:31 AM
goal
goal
Something has been bugging me....What kid does better academically in public school rather than private? and Did this private school not have a team? Did he not play on it? Why as a senior has he not signed yet? If its his grades then maybe he needs to take the time off to improve them. I don't know....

#32807 02/16/06 06:14 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
So we are basically gaining all the evidence we need of the situation from Danny Meehan himself. Apparently the reason he did not play his year at private school is because he was ineligible. Therefore if he were eligible he would have played. Does this mean that if someone is declared ineligible in a Columbia school and later moves to a Greenville school to repeat that grade that they should be allowed an extra year of eligibility? Really there is no way around it, he had bad grades, was declared in eligible and then repeated the grade. There is no exception when you declare yourself ineligible do to bad grades. If his grades were good in private school then this wouldn't be a question because he would have already played 4 years.

#32808 02/16/06 06:30 PM
brace
brace
All hail Chuck Norris!

#32809 02/16/06 06:35 PM
goal
goal
I asked a question. Somebody better answer, my foot is begining to twitch!

#32810 02/16/06 06:49 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Im sure someone will give you a very polite answer later this evening.

#32811 02/16/06 06:51 PM
goal
goal
To late, I just roundhoused Rock Hill and now it is more like Pebble Beach! No one will play!

#32812 02/16/06 06:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
haha that has a lot to do with soccer.

#32813 02/16/06 07:05 PM
goal
goal
Well since the game was invented by myself after small children tried to imitate me kicking the heads off people, by kicking the fallen heads around...it has alot to do with it!

#32814 02/16/06 07:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The rules are in place for a reason. Do your job and follow them. EASY. What are we teaching or kids if we continue to bend the rules for them?

#32815 02/16/06 08:43 PM
X
x Offline
goal kick
goal kick
X
NO. What you're suggesting is called relativism.

#32816 02/16/06 09:32 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
Rules are rules...the 8 semester rule is in place in most HS associations throughout the US. Just accept the ruling and move on with your life.

#32817 02/16/06 10:33 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
If there was no 8 semester rule we would see every high school football player in America purposly fail so that they have an age and size advantage over competitors. This rule is not JUST for soccer. If we allow a soccer player to do it then we would have to allow athletes in other sports to do it as well.

#32818 02/17/06 02:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The recruiting IS the big issue here also...

It’s key to his choice of college.

Nathan really never played on very good High school teams in GA. It was himself and one other that was very good but you certainly were not going to compete with the Parkview’s and Brookwoods of the world with 2 good players.

And some of you can stop adding your repeated statements of the "rule is the rule". Its known already, were having to deal with it currently if you had not noticed. And I get your drift as to your personal view on the subject. So be it...

BUT, the issue is should he, having the season and being the player he is, not be allowed to pursue his goals as a senior that includes his senior year in soccer just because he failed a year at a private school 5 years ago.

All local states are governed by the same rules right. Florida a year ago allowed a player who broke his wrist during his senior year, to gain a year of eligibility.

They say he missed several days of school and did not have the credits to graduate either. So he had to make up credits to graduate and was able to play that same year as a 5th year senior.

I think every situation has an equal opportunity if it’s realistic but at least Nathan's deals strictly with academics prior to the soccer.

#32819 02/17/06 04:03 AM
goal
goal
He had a senior year, that was last year. Unfortunateluy no one reaqlized it. That may not be his fault and that is unfortunate but that is the way it is.
Also why are you now saying "Nathan really never played on very good High school teams in GA. It was himself and one other that was very good but you certainly were not going to compete with the Parkview’s and Brookwoods of the world with 2 good players."

If he never played in high school there? Seems someone is twisting the truth. But I will say it again and you can hate it and call me a "****weed" all you want, but a rule is a rule, he used his eligibility. See you in the college ranks(if your grades permit)!

Danny, you have no argument, its over, you lose!

#32820 02/17/06 04:07 AM
Brace
Brace
In short, he should not be allowed to play this spring and I find it appalling that Northwestern allowed him to play in the fall for the football team, but after thinking about it, that seems about right! [Mad]

#32821 02/17/06 04:26 AM
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
wow hammer that was unbelievable. He was allowed to play football because they missed it. Do you really think NHS would jeopardize their football season for a backup punter who had never played football? secondly, no one at the HSL caught this in the fall, so obviously as the article states, it was an innocent error. No i am not arguing that he should or should not be allowed to play either.

Chuck, go back and look at some posts. Arroyo did not play at the private high school, but did play at the public high schools. So no one is twisting the truth.

#32822 02/17/06 04:53 AM
goal
goal
Nathan had the availability to go to a private school entering his 9th grade. I am not sure where the REPORTER got that he went there to better his grades. He was doing fine and how hard is 8th grade anyways.
The issue was the Private school and the workload, difference in class study and overall dynamics of the situation. He did not do very well with his studies and therefore could not and was not eligible for sports.
He then went back to public school and repeated his 9th grade and played soccer.
His grades are fine; he has a 3.25 GPA since being at NW.

He has been in 4 schools in that last 4 years.

He did not do very well with his studies and therefore could not and was not eligible for sports.

Those are all quotes from his father/guardian...no, no clear statement of whether he played in Private or public and for how many years. Just that he played in Georgia, they were not good and he then came to SC. I have read the post, but they are not giving us the whole truth. I can only go by what is being told. and no matter how you cut it he has passed his 8 semesters of school and is no longer eligible!

#32823 02/17/06 05:07 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
It doesnt matter if the HSL or NHS caught it or not. HE knew!!! He knew he had been in high school for 5 years. It seems that if he or his family cared so much about his future they wouldnt have just pretended like nothing ever happend. The fact is that they knew what the deal was and hoped that no one would notice. Or it least thats the way it seems.

#32824 02/17/06 05:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ChuckNorris, hmm, new name ah?

"He went back to public school and repeated 9th grade and played soccer"

I would think this makes clear sense as to when he started playing and what grade.
SOoo, as many know, GA and SC have they same rules so it does not matter where he played public really but everyone but YOU know that Nathan came from GA last year as a Junior to Northwestern.

See, you really have to be a participant to the forum and know the players and posters before just getting on here and start talking smack...

Besides, IF you were ever at the greatest pinnacle of your career in HS and lost your Senior year, you would feel a bit different soooo...

The ORIGINAL POST really wasn't meant for anyone pasttime of smack about the "rule". It was more for the folks that actually know of or know Nathan, and their general opinions about the situation.

You can state the rule, but your beating a dead horse on it. The **** is a given...

And as for your reading, its like hearing but not listening....

#32825 02/17/06 05:11 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
didnt he pretty much give you his opinion on the situation??? You just want to hear people who think you are right it seems.

#32826 02/17/06 12:41 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Five pages on this topic!!!I hope someone makes a decision soon so we can move on..Keep it real...It's high school soccer..not life

#32827 02/17/06 01:43 PM
X
x Offline
goal kick
goal kick
X
I could not agree more with the last two posts. I have no idea what could be accomplished by bringing this up on the board. The pity is that the young man's business has been aired for everyone to see. It appears that self aggrandizement or commiseration appeasr to be the goal here- this is rarely found on this board. For Nathan's sake, let this go.

#32828 02/17/06 01:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I dont know anything about the story but what you have said. However, those of you complaining about him loosing his ability to be recruited I have two facts/statements for you.

First there are very few times that a player will get recruited for the first time at a h.s. game. If he is on the coaches radar they may go watch him play to get some more looks in. i.e. south carolina was at more than half of south aikens games last year watching goose, and jamal.

Secondly, those complaining he wont get a fait shot at being recruited becuase he lost his senior season are also misinformed. The prime recruiting year for college coaches is the players U-17 (or junior) year.

Unfortunate for Arroyo, congrats to all the teams that were hunting NW.

#32829 02/19/06 12:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Remember boys, this is only 1 topic about the subject that had been in the Herald 3 days running.

There are 3000 other topics you can go read...

scplaya08, that make sense. There are always situations and circumstances as to why coaches might want or have to preview a player during their HS season.

Hey, I am only stating what the actual current situation is since i have talked to the coaches...

#32830 02/19/06 04:01 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
scplaya08, are you being recruited? Also other than USC and a couple of other smaller schools, how many college coaches have you seen at a high school game? I can garuntee you that Coach Adair from Clemson RARELY attends any high school soccer matches. Instead he does his recruiting when the players are playing against good competition that is there own age. How many quality D-1 coaches want to watch a great player run around freshman and sophmores? Not many. If a good player is worth being recruited then he isn't worth watching in high school because it just won't be fair.

#32831 02/20/06 01:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
tigerman I agree with you. what I was saying (not clearly though) is that college soccer coaches do not normally recruit at highschool soccer games. Instead they are at the big tournaments or local (high-level) club games. And no I am not getting recruited, but I was. And now I am playing D-1 ball.

#32832 02/22/06 01:28 PM
world cup
world cup
According to the Rock Hill Herald, Nathan's appeals hearing is at 2 PM today.

Arroyo's appeal set for today

(Published February 22‚ 2006)

Northwestern High School administrators are headed to Columbia today, hoping to get a reversal on a decision by the South Carolina High School League last Tuesday involving soccer standout Nathan Arroyo.
Jerome Singleton, the league's executive director, ruled last Tuesday that Arroyo is out of eligibility and because he punted for the football team in the fall, the Trojans must forfeit the four games they won.

Northwestern's representatives will make an appeal before the league's 16-member executive committee at 2 p.m. today. Singleton said last week that today's meeting was put on the league's calendar and listed as tentative, but because several other appeals have been received, the decision to meet was made.

Singleton confirmed on Tuesday that the Arroyo appeal is on today's agenda.

Arroyo moved to Rock Hill from the Atlanta area last year and established himself as one of the top boys soccer players in the state. He set a school record for most goals, 46, and points, 122, in a season

His eligibility came in question when spring sports eligibility forms were being done. His transcripts show that he started high school in 2002, which would make this his senior season.

In doing the eligibility forms, it was noticed that several courses had "transfer" written beside them, which was questioned. After the school investigated the situation, it was discovered that Arroyo actually began the ninth grade at a private school, making this year his fifth in high school.

According to SCHSL rules, once a student begins his or her freshman year, he or she is allowed eight consecutive semesters to play sports.

Upon finding the error, Northwestern notified the SCHSL of the situation and asked for a ruling.

Arroyo did not play sports at the private school. He repeated the ninth grade at a public school.

Barry Byers • 329-4099

bbyers@heraldonline.com

#32833 02/22/06 03:21 PM
goal
goal
Honestly I feel for the kid, but rules are rules. It would be the same if he failed a grade and this is no different. If it does get overturned the SCHSL will hear some complaints from me and I am sure some others.

#32834 02/22/06 08:12 PM
T
kick off
kick off
T
I'm not trying to start any arguments here but isn't this a lot like the Casey Clausen issue. I mean the kid is a year older then everybody else in highschool right now. This means that he has had an extra year to grow and develope and now he is the number one recruit in the nation (but for some reason, nobody in the country has a problem with that). I understand the circumstances are different but at least nathan is playing with kids his own age. Once again, not an argument, just a comment

#32835 02/22/06 08:59 PM
T
kick off
kick off
T
my b. i meant jimmy clausen.

#32836 02/22/06 09:04 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Northwestern Player's Appeal Rejected

Published February 22‚ 2006

COLUMBIA - By an 8-2 vote, the appeal of Northwestern soccer star Natan Arroyo was turned down by the executive committe of the South Carolina High School League on Wednesday.

Arroyo, a senior at Northwestern, was declared ineligible because he is in his 10th semester of high school. He began the ninth grade at the Greater Atlantc Christain School but did not play sports. He repeated the ninth grade in at Atlanta public school and began playing soccer his freshman year.

High school league rules state that once a student enters the ninth grade, he or she has eight consecutive semeseters of athletic eligibility.

Arroyo's appeal was presented by principal James Blake and director of athletics Jimmy Wallace. Arroyo was allowed to speak on his behalf. Arroyo was the Class AAA player of the year last season and the Trojans are one of the favorites to win the state championship this spring.

Arroyo also punted for the football team last fall, after quarterback and punter Bart Blanchard was injured and missed 11 games. Because Arroyo was ineligible, the school must forfeit its four wins and the school's record will drop to 0-12.

The football matter was ruled on separately, and the decision to forfeit the games came on a 9-0 vote, with some abstentions. The football program could have been placed on probation, but Blake said the team will receive only a warning.

#32837 02/22/06 11:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And it would only cost $8000 to take to court...

#32838 02/22/06 11:43 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
And the record beings..with a song of rebellion.

#32839 02/23/06 01:22 PM
world cup
world cup
From today's Rock Hill Herald:

Trojan soccer star loses appeal
SCHSL rejects Arroyo's bid to play after clerical error

(Published February 23‚ 2006)

COLUMBIA -- By an 8-2 vote, the appeal of Northwestern soccer star Nathan Arroyo was turned down by the executive committee of the South Carolina High School League on Wednesday.
Arroyo, a senior, was declared ineligible because he is in his 10th semester of high school. He began the ninth grade at the Greater Atlanta Christian School but did not play sports. He repeated the ninth grade in an Atlanta public school and began playing soccer his freshman year.

Under high school league rules, once a student enters the ninth grade, he or she has eight consecutive semesters of eligibility.

Arroyo's appeal was presented by Northwestern principal James Blake and director of athletics Jimmy Wallace. Arroyo was allowed to speak on his behalf.

"I'll stay with my team as the manager,'' Arroyo said after the ruling. "I thought I had more of a chance. I definitely want to thank Ben Freeman. I wish the other people would have felt the same way.''

Freeman, Pelion High School athletic director, and Quincy Moore, principal at Gaffney High School, cast the votes in Arroyo's favor. Blake and Wallace said Arroyo was a victim of a clerical error on his transcripts.

"I have a hard time penalizing him because this is not his fault,'' Freeman said before the vote. "It was a clerical error. He still has a semester left and I hate to take it away from him.''

Arroyo was the Class AAAA Player of the Year last season, and the Trojans are one of the favorites to win the state championship this spring. He led the Trojans to the Upper State championship, setting school records with 46 goals and 122 points.

He also punted for the football team after quarterback and punter Bart Blanchard was injured and missed 11 games. The football team must forfeit four wins, dropping it's record to 0-12.

The football matter was ruled on separately, and the decision came on a 9-0 vote, with some abstentions. The football program could have been placed on probation, but Blake said the team will receive only a warning.

Rock Hill attorney David Benson attended the meeting to support Arroyo. He said Arroyo will not be defeated by the SCHSL.

"Nathan is a champion and this will not change his life,'' Benson said. "He's proved in the classroom and on the soccer field that he believes in hard work. It hurts, doesn't feel right and doesn't feel fair. But Nathan is not a quitter.''

Barry Byers • 329-4099

bbyers@heraldonline.com

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard