Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#32772 02/15/06 12:01 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Well Danny, I will have you know that if the schools ar interested in him then High School soccer isn't going to make or break his chances. Really and truthfully, many college coaches try to stay away from this awful sight of high school soccer. So don't think that if by some chance he doesn't get to play that he won't go to college. As long as Nathan finds a team to train with and keeps his skills up then he will prosper just as he would have prospered with high school.

#32773 02/15/06 12:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Possibly...
But its hard to come to the realization that all your goal this year, individually and with his team members are gone.

I come from the north, where you can apply to be a 5th year senior as long as you have not had more than 4 years of eligibily in athletics.

This is also reviewed, just not in the 5 minutes it took SCHSL

#32774 02/15/06 02:35 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Well rules are rules. If a rule was broken its safe to assume that it wouldnt take SCHSL too long to make a decision. However i do hope you get everything worked out and a great soccer player is able to play this season.

#32775 02/15/06 03:38 AM
T
kick off
kick off
T
Then,Arroyo was pretty much a senior last year and this year he will be about 25 years old.

#32776 02/15/06 03:42 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Something that seems pretty weird to me is that although i do think the school should have noticed this. How did Arroyo and his family think it was ok to play for 5 years? I mean even if he didnt play sports his 9th grade year you cant just play varsity for 5 years.

#32777 02/15/06 03:49 AM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
Danny, Bite Me....

The Dutch Fork girls team did nothing wrong....but a coach screwed up....why punish the girls.

The facts are....Arroyo is old enough he couldn't even play u18 club. I would say the extra year probably helped him. It really sucks that academically he struggles, but that doesn't make it right for him to get extra time at the varsity level.

I agree it is a shame for him this year, but if he is good enough to play D1 soccer, he will be there.

By the way, if his grades suck so bad, how is he going to college anyway. If he is struggling to make the grades, he ain't going D1 anyway. If the schools were looking at him last year, I am sure that the schools he is qualified for are still interested.

Going back to the DF girls, rules are rules, sometimes they stink (unless you are Summerville), sometimes they are great.

The bottom line. You are allowed 8 CONTINUOUS semesters once you enter the 9th grade....I see nowhere that there is a hardship rule. I see a lot of instances where an injury could be seen as a way to hold a kid back. If they let him play and don't let the DF girls go to the playoffs, I see a SCHSL that has no place in high school sports.

Either uphold the rules or don't. Then SCHSL already has a black eye in my mind over the Summerville decision. Lets see how bad they get now.

I do believe that Nathan is a good kid, but 8 semesters is 8 semesters.

What if my kid gets hurt and I apply for a hardship....

Give me a break....

Maybe he wouldn't have led the state in scoring if he wasn't already senior age already....who knows.

Everybody always wants to follow the rules until it applies to them, then all goes out the window.

Bottom line.....The DF girls team is full of great kids and they got screwed because of a stupid decision by the coach....How is that different. The girls get hurt, he gets hurt.

I don't like the high school league either, but they are only choice we have.

Either we live by their decisions or we get rid of them. How do we get rid of them. I thought it would get better after Ronnie M. left, but the Summerville decision leaves me numb....lets all revolt....hahahahahah.

The Ad's and the SCHSL run it all. Fair or not, they make the rules.

#32778 02/15/06 12:56 PM
R
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
R
quote:
Originally posted by kickman:
First, rules are not our masters--it is cowardice to hide behind rules. They are guidelines and we have directors, boards, etc. to interpret, apply, judge, and in many cases make exceptions.

Well said!

#32779 02/15/06 01:48 PM
B
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
B
Previously posted:
"the key is did he play 9th grade--if it can be verified that he did not, then let him play his 4th year."

If you follow this logic, then every high school student should be allowed to stop playing sports for a year, repeat that grade, and then resume playing the next year without losing a year of eligibility. I don't think we want to promote this.

#32780 02/15/06 01:52 PM
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
The Count

did you read the article? How many parents actually know the rule, much less some that have been here for a little over a year.

Cates

Come on man. Regardless of his age last year (ie jr or sr) it would not have made a difference on the field. If that was his sr year, he would have lead the state in scoring, been North South, etc. I have known a few players that were to old to play u18 club their senior year. it did not mean that they did something wrong. Lastly, did you read the article? His grades are struggling because of his year he spent at the private school. According to the article, they are getting better. Stop attacking the kid!

#32781 02/15/06 02:00 PM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
Not attacking the kid. By everybody but bruin's reasoning (and mine), the rule is not about eligiblilty, it is about eligibility used. What if one of the stars on the team is struggling grade wise as a sophomore and can't play. Should they be allowed to stay back and still enjoy the fifth year. I think not. That just opens pandoras box.

I have not seen very many kids that I know that couldn't play club during their senior year, but thats just me.

I will agree that he is a great player. Maybe he should not play in the spring and work on his grades, then maybe he can play in college.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard