Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#33895 03/09/06 02:22 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
I said that this may not have been the case because bc usually is able to field a full team of soccer players instead of football players. Kyle puts together a competitive squad almost every year which means he is probably not putting many football playesr on it.

#33896 03/09/06 02:25 AM
World Cup
World Cup
quote:
Well the Cates/Jugal match-up of super sophmores will have to wait a couple of weeks since he won't be playing this weekend. Word is out that he is out for 2 weeks or so from an mcl sprain against Brooklyn Cayce. This is just another example of good players getting hurt in high school due to the lack of talent all over the field. I am not saying that the person who hurt him meant to but it happpens way too much to just be accidents all the time. Many teams have trouble fielding a full squad and football players end up on the field to fulfill the position requirements and to keep in shape.
tigerman -- first off, it's Brookland-Cayce.

I spoke with Danny Cates after Dutch Fork's 3-2 penalty kick victory on March 2 and was not aware of any injury he had suffered during the match. He even took the Silver Foxes' fifth PK during the shootout.

As for football players playing on the boys soccer team, then I am happy to say that goalkeeper JC Gypin, defender Les Sonefeld, midfielder/defender Blake Hinton, and midfielder/defender Andrew Richardson all played played varsity football for the Bearcats in 2005. In fact, Gypin has missed the entire soccer season in 2006 due to wrestling commitments and a separated shoulder (due to football/wrestling injuries) suffered against DF in the PK Shootout.

I really don't think you know what you are talking about, especially since Vanderbilt-bound Stephen Goulet and defender Kip Ammaker are standouts for the DFHS boys soccer team.

#33897 03/09/06 02:27 AM
World Cup
World Cup
tigerman -- now I really know you don't know what you are talking about. My brother, Kevin, is the boys soccer coach at Brookland-Cayce High School and has been there since 1991. I'm on the staff, but it is his team!

#33898 03/09/06 02:31 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Kyle, I just said that I didn't think that you put many football players on your team. By football players I mean players who play football first. In the refrence to Stephen Goulet and Kip Ammaker, Stephen struggles on the soccer field due to the lack of practice in the fall... he makes up for that with his athletic ability. Kip on the other hand is probably one of the most athletic kids in the state. He however has always been a soccer player and is a soccer player first. However, he also struggles with some of the ball control on the soccer field due to the lack of practice in the fall. As for Danny taking the penalty kick and still playing... I know him and I know that he will play through anything. He was going to play this Friday through the pain after he passed his running test yesturday with the trainer at DF. However... with a little tenderness in the knee, the trainer decided to keep him out of the game so that he does not injure it anymore.

#33899 03/09/06 02:33 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
I just knew that you were on the team... I played y'all many times and y'all were both ALWAYS there. Sorry if I didn't pay attention to who the head coach and assistants were. All I know is that you and him were always at the games when I played. So the correction would be that I think that Kevin puts together a good team every year.

#33900 03/09/06 02:34 AM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
That would be Kevin (with help from Kyle) and they do put together a quality side year in and year out. What happened to Danny was pure bad luck. He and a BC player were working for the ball and the BC player stepped on his ankle with his leg in a bad position. I feel sure that the BC player didn't even know it happened. Danny got up limping. Came off to have it checked and played the second half. Soreness and swelling that night and the next morning prompted the unwelcome visit to the ortho. The tenderness has not at this point subsided and there is no need to jeopardize the rest of the season for one game. I applaud the trainer and the head coach for putting Danny's welfair before one game (not that I would doubt that). Danny was sure he could work hard enough in rehab to get back but it didn't work out. Good luck to Dutch Fork this weekend, they have all the tools. Go Foxes.

#33901 03/09/06 02:37 AM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
I'm sorry to learn of Danny's injury. This is the first that I've heard of it. I know that he is in good hands with the best athletics trainer in the business in Mack Harvey!

Our goalkeeper, JC Gypin, was making his first debut after one day of practice in the net and separated his shoulder twice during the PK shootout and Coach Harvey tended to his injury in first-class fashion.

I know that Coach Quinlan knows that I wish he and the Silver Foxes the very best in 2006 and that they are a classy and hard-working team!

#33902 03/09/06 02:51 AM
W
goal
goal
W
Tigerman,

BROOK LAND CAYCE! Second, I was at the BC DF game and for you to assume Danny got hurt simply b/c it was a HS game is moronic. Plain and simple. Danny had a great match. I watched the Irmo/Lex game last night w/ Coach Quinlan and he told me of the injury and even he stated that it was a common soccer injury. Two guys went for a ball and a "twitch/turn" happened and he picked up a knock. Coach Q was under the impression that he might be back for Irmo. I guess not which sucks for him.

For you to come out and think a kid does not get "hacked" in club ball points out the fact that you are a "clubber" and probably were not tough enough to make it thru a HS season. Shame on you for getting on a HS message board to "bash" the HS game. Go ask Danny, Jamal, Zach, Andrew, Nathan, Steven, Kip or any other HS Sr what the HS game means and I guarantee they will tell HS means more to them than U18 club!

Sorry Tiger but you are way out of line.

#33903 03/09/06 05:14 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Tigerman...Kipp Amaker is a good defender with a knack for winning the ball. However, when you talk about players getting hurt in soccer due to football mentality coming out in high school soccer. Kip is excactly what you are talking about. He plays physical soccer (which I have no problem with) but its a different brand of physical soccer than that which is played on top flight club teams.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had the feeling Tigerman didn't know what he was talking about.

#33904 03/09/06 06:43 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
I second the Kip Amaker notion.. he may be a great athlete..but he is FAR from a "skilled defender"...in my opinion.

He has a "knack for winning the ball" as was said earlier..but blunt force doesn't translate to skill in my books.

Someone like Kip is just as dangerous as any "hack" out there. Note: not saying he IS a hack. But basically..your theory is full of holes tigerman.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard