Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
I figured since so many people in South Carolina are familiar with the Timberwolves that some might be interested in following their season in the Sooner State.

3/7 @ Putnam City North
3/10 MUSTANG
3/24 @ Norman
3/28 @ Putnam City West
4/4 YUKON
4/11 MIDWEST CITY
4/13 @ Del City
4/18 WESTMOORE
4/21 @ Edmond Santa Fe
4/25 @ U.S. Grant

Norman North, coached by Bryan Young, won the Lake Murray Challenge in February with a perfect 4-0 record.

LAKE MURRAY CHALLENGE RESULTS
NN 3-0 Dutch Fork (scrimmage)
NN 4-0 Irmo
NN 3-0 Dreher
NN 3-1 Chapin
NN 4-0 Dutch Fork -- CHAMPIONSHIP

The Timberwolves have participated in the Palmetto Cup four times and won the title on three of those occasions (2000, 2004, 2005). Pretty strong soccer program from the southwest!

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
they only play 10 games in OK?

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
That is correct. I think they've played 12 or so in the past, but Oklahoma's soccer association doesn't appear to get much help from the parent coaches' association and they are really limited in terms of the number of games they can schedule.

That's why in the past Norman North has participated in the Palmetto Cup (4-5 games), the Lake Murray Challenge (4-5 games), Parkview-GA Tournament (3 games), Birmingham-AL Tourney (4-5 games), etc.

D
goal kick
goal kick
D
do they dominate OK soccer or are they an example of the state as a whole?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dreher, thanks for the interest. I would like to attempt an answer to your question since I am familiar with the team and have been for years. NN is a major HS soccer power. Out of class 6A, there are usually two or three really good teams that are the potential state champions. I believe that NN is the strongest team in the state at this point. Obviously, every team gets better as the season progresses. Recently NN hosted its annual team scrimmages and invited all the best teams in the state, trying to put only the very best against each other. NN easily outplayed the other two potential champions at this event. The "non-starters" outplayed each of the these two teams. This may be hard to imagine for some, but any of the NN non-starters are potential starters for any team including NN, and should the NN first 22 players be ramdomly split for two teams, the game would be very close. Again, thanks for the interest and best wishes for a great scsoccer season.

coach
coach
soccernut,
Don't they play club ball in the spring? If so, do they dual participate? Does Tulsa or Norman dominate in HS and club?

goal
goal
I missed them in the LMC, and unfortunately they wont be around for the palmetto spring break tourn., would love to see them play again this year. Always a quality side, good luck out there!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Striker, yes, they play club in the spring usually more active after HS state playoffs, so HS state and club get real intense in May. Tulsa does have excellent club teams that often are the ones providing really good competition, however, oklahoma city club teams are excellent as well and may have the top club teams in the state. Edmond's soccer club(sort of a northern suburb, if you will, of OKC) was recently rated 19th out of 20 top clubs in the U.S. Norman's club teams are competitive in certain age groups but, are not in others. For example, Edmond SC has, I believe, the top girls teams in both 90's and 91's in the nation. Their coach is great. I look forward to the next out of state tournament for NN, which is the Southern Soccer Challenge in Alabama.

Link Copied to Clipboard