Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#35225 03/18/06 08:27 PM
K
throw in
throw in
K
Personally, I would have made the call in the favor of the defense. The white man, throwing his torso (hip-check) at the defender was my reasoning for it.

The defender appeared to be between the white player and the ball. So I saw the hip-check by the white made at the defender, not in any direct attempt to get the ball. Or at least that's how I saw it.

I would have given the defense the kick for that one.

#35226 03/18/06 09:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
now i see why refs have such hard time calling fouls, and why they let so much go. this is why there needs to be at least three refs at every game. every game i have played this year, there has only been two refs, and two refs cannot call a game well. there needs to be at least three!!!

#35227 03/18/06 09:51 PM
L
lurker Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
L
In this game, there were 3 refs. The AR on the attacking side would have had almost the exact viewpoint as the camera, assuming he was keeping up with the play. The center ref was behind the play, through no real fault of his own. Had this been a two whistle system, which everyone complains about, one of the two refs would have been very close to the camera (right side of the field in the attacking end). He would have had the same view as the AR in a 3 man system, and probably a better view than the center ref. Do you honestly think it would have made a difference in this case?

Keep in mind, during most pre-game discussions, the center ref tells the ARs to call fouls in their quadrant, unless it is in the penalty area. Then the center ref wants to have the first opportunity to call it.

I know that I am less likely to raise my flag as an AR in this type of situation, letting the center ref make the hard call. I'm not afraid to make a hard call as a center, but in cases like this, which are all too frequent, I'm not sure I would have made the correct call.

The 3 man system is much, much better for offsides, throw-in directions, and goal kick vs. corner kick decisions. There is nothing inherently better about it for making foul calls. In fact, in some cases, having two refs with whistles is better than one, especially if the one is caught well behind the play. With a three man system, the center ref really needs to be fit, and willing to make the long, hard run to keep up with a play like this, all while maintaining proper positioning on a diagonal. How many high school refs fit that description?

If you are a player, think about this video the next time you disagree with a call. If you have a parent that routinely yells at refs, show him or her this video. If you or your parent were able to make a definitive and correct call in real time, get certified, buy a yellow striped jersey and some goofy black socks, and get out there. If you couldn't, cut us some slack.

Thanks.

#35228 03/19/06 12:10 AM
goal
goal
People complain about having only 2 refs...I recall playing games with 1

#35229 03/19/06 01:00 AM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Hard call, indeed...if I'm in camera-angle view of that situation, I'm calling in favor of blue. A little "bumping and banging" outside the penalty box when both players had an even shot at the ball is to be expected; while both players had arms extended from the body, neither seemed to get in a decisive push.

Inside the penalty box, blue had the definite angle on the ball; white throws his body (arm, hip and leg) across blue with no contact on the ball. Blue's act of riding white to the ground seemed more like an attempt to catch himself to keep from getting taken out than an attempt to intentionally take out white, and blue continued to try to play the ball throughout. Long story short, white threw himself in front of the freight train and got run over accordingly.

My call: No card, free kick for blue.

That said, center ref seemed to be standing pretty flat-footed at the beginning of the play, and I doubt he got into a good position to make the call by the time it developed. From his angle, it probably looked like a push from behind by blue...probably a free kick from outside the 18 since contact started outside the box, but possibly even a PK since the actual hands-on-back was inside the box.

Curious to hear what call was actually made in the game.

#35230 03/19/06 01:44 AM
L
lurker Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
L
According to the person who posted this on the bigsoccer forum, "The ref on the field called a DFK for blue inside the PA, presumably for white's hip check/tripping of blue."

This looks like the correct call. Assuming you were the white team coach, standing on the touchline in your "technical area" at the midfield, what would your first reaction be? What would you expect to see on a website like this the following morning?

I am both a coach and a ref. My biggest fear is that I would have made the wrong call as a ref, and as a coach, I would have had an inappopriate response to a ref who did make the correct call. Dang, this is harder than it looks.

#35231 03/19/06 02:03 AM
K
throw in
throw in
K
If that's the case, I agree with the official. I would have called a kick for blue, no cards involved.

If I were the white team's coach... well, my reaction would depend on a few different things. First, it would depend on how I saw the play occur. Everything looks different from different angles so that would affect my reaction.

Another thing that might affect my reaction to the call would be the player. If the white player was one prone to getting fouls called on them, I would agree with the referee more easily than if the player was one who had never come close to fouling, ever.

As for what I might find on the site when I got home... ha... probably another 'Officials are bad' threads. They're everywhere, you know.

#35232 03/20/06 06:03 PM
I
goal kick
goal kick
I
lurker.. that was my initial call in real-time. but in slow mo it appears that blue extends his arm at white and white is "pushed" off the ball. whether or not that this is reaction to to arm extension is what made me wonder on the second look. but in the end i would probably have stuck with FK blue for the tripping at toward the end of the play..

good example and good video

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard