Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Life from his friends
The Hammond Class of 2006 has given Eric Layer the strength to keep fighting in his battle against cancer
Steve Wiseman, The State (4/2/06)

quote:
In February, with his strength improving, he rejoined the soccer team for the first time since he was diagnosed with cancer.

Seeing him on the practice field lifted his teammates’ spirits.

“It was amazing, coming out after two years of not playing,” Hammond senior Wes Troyer said. “His fitness wasn’t up to the same level, but he was playing harder than anyone else.”

The first weekend in March, Eric traveled with the team to Charleston for a match against Porter-Gaud. Unable to play because of his condition, he sat on the bench, cheered and watched with some frustration as the Skyhawks lost 2-1.

“It was fun just to be around them and to feel like I was one with them,” Eric said. “But it was definitely frustrating. You see a pass made and you know you could have done better. Or there’s a space open and you know you could have taken that space. But I enjoy soccer, so being there was great.”

That sentence encapsulates Eric’s spirit. Being there is great. Battling to be there is what he is all about, even as his disease makes that less and less likely.

March was filled with setbacks. Eric had hoped to attend the senior class trip to Belize but

wasn’t physically able. This week, he admitted his only chance of helping the soccer team is as a manager.

It is my understanding that Hammond forfeited their last match vs. Walhalla in the Greenville Showcase to join Eric late yesterday.

A
Goal
Goal
A
Wow, does this put the game we all love in perspective. God bless this young man.

N
bench
bench
N
The entire Walhalla Boys Soccer team, coaches,and all the soccer parents and fans send our best thoughts to the Hammond Soccer team and Eric.
When I posted the forfeit, it was FYI only, not to bring their team down further, WHS realizes how very easily they could be in Hammond's position. Again, best thoughts and prayers to Eric and his team.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
4/29/06
A Noble Heart Cracks
Eric Layer, whom Hammond School united behind as he fought cancer, dies with his family by his side
Steve Wiseman, The State

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
our prayer are with his family!!!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
4/30/06