Print Thread
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
B
goal
goal
B
quote:
Originally posted by WhatDoesItMatter:
It may be disrespectful but if i was in a game and i could score 9 or 7 goals...I would and would not think twice about it. I think most players would do the same thing.

What satisfaction can you derive from scoring 7 or 9 goals against LAke City or Columbia High. Score 3 against a top 10 team or better yet in Premier LEague or ODP, then crow. Otherwise, realize most knowledgable soccer fans aren't impressed by scoring 9 goals against LC.Lets see how you fare against the big boys.

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Whatdoesitmatter...yes I am a parent but I played sports throughout HS and College and was always taught to respect my opponent. I question how much "satisfaction" someone gets from scoring goal # 25 or any of them from #10 on up. Again...just a difference of opinion. I'd rather lose a hard fought 1 - 0 game then win by some huge score. Hopefully I will have learned more during the loss then during the blowout that will better prepare me for the next "tough" game.

F
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
F
So whatdoesitmatter if i (another example and i don't mean it to get carried away but its an example) if i was punching you in the face would you like me to quit or keep going? thats what happens in boxing if the oppenent is pretty much down throw the towel in and call it!

goal
goal
In no way am i saying that i could do that against a quality team or that i am a great stricker of any kind. I am saying IF I COULD score that many goals i would. Obvisly the reason i would be able to score that many would be because the team was far below par.

I would score as many goals as I could no matter what the score is. Scoring is one of the great parts of the game. Yes I would feel sorry for the other team but that would not stop me. And the refs better not ever call some stupid mercy rule.

kick off
kick off
i played in the premier league and odp, and if you can score 7 goals in a game against one of those teams, i'll personally give you $100. if you have a chance to score...score. if it would've been me out there, i would been shooting until my legs either cramped up or fell off. You cant have mercy because who is to say others will have mercy on you.

goal
goal
I dont think anyone could score 7 goals in one game in the premier league or odp. If they can props to them.

I agree with you "the peoples champ" shoot shoot and shoot again. Part of the game.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
People's Champ--
mbplay4life DID say it perfectly...and amazingly, without being derogatory, arrogant, or downright insulting to anyone in the process. Maybe you could take a lesson from your own compliment.

Feeder programs are a huge part of any great team's success; when players come in with years of experience before the ever step on the varsity field, it is a big advantage. That doesn't mean the newer or more rural teams can't build and develop; it will just take several seasons of perserverance to accomplish.

Now, as for the lopsided scoring...if you can explain to me how continually driving the ball in on a defense that is offering little or no resistance at that point actually "prepares" you to face a strong team in the next match, I'll concede the point. As a coach, I find little correlation between the two.

One of the two principles of ethics is that the overall benefits have to outweigh the overall harm. If someone can explain how the benefits of a 28-0 win for an already stronger team outweigh the damage a 28-0 loss can do to the spirit of a new, developing team, then I will concede it as ethical treatment.

goal
goal
The reason they throw the towell in is because the guy is about to die. Have you ever watched UFC or a fight were a guy gets pummelled the entire match. If he is able to stand the boxer wants to go on. The only person who throws the towell is the guy in the corner.

A true athlete of any kind never ever wants to quit no matter what the odds are.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
WhatDoesItMatter...you're right. Way back when I was an assistant coach at Blackville-Hilda ('bout 10 years ago), we had a first-round playoff match against Bishop England. They ran up 8-1 on us. The referees called the game with about 15 minutes to go because, in the referee's words, "They have another match to prepare for--there's no point in anyone getting hurt over this."

Can't remember being so angry about a soccer match before or since...the match is 80 minutes, we came for 80, we'll play for 80, no matter what.

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
Once i was coaching a rec league girls game, and we were pounding the other team. The ref came to me and told me to call off the dogs. I did, and I don't think our team scored again that season. We never could get it back. First of all, it's the coach's job to keep HIS team sharp. We also should be teaching good sportsmanship and building character, but we still play to win and you win by scoring goals. It's the other teams responsibility to keep the score down. I've seen teams pass it around and not try to score, and I really believe the losing team would rather they try to score. Playing a man or two down preserves the quality of play and at least makes it meaningful.

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard