Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
There are different ways to try to keep the score down; some of them are just as embarrassing (or more) to the other team as running the score up. I've seen players dribble right up to the goal, fake a shot, and then turn and dribble back the other way--the old "could have had ya" routine. This, to me, is less sportsmanlike than shooting. At least if you take the shot, you give the keeper a chance to make the save.

Other teams I've seen just run triangle drills up and down the field, from one goal to the other and back...again, embarrassing, and doesn't really do either team any good.

I say if you want to lay off a bit, play hard on 2/3 of the field (the other team obviously needs the practice against challenging opponents), and take all the shots you want--from the edge of the penalty box and beyond. This gives your strikers and wings some legitimate shooting practice (much more beneficial than dribbling right into the goal on a weak defense, which you more than likely CAN'T reproduce against the stronger team you'll face next--and who couldn't use some extra practice at shooting from outside?), and it also gives the opposing keeper some legitimate practice and a chance to save face by making some saves.

A good soccer team can find a way to challenge themselves in almost any situation--if you're a striker who is just a scoring machine, try taking each shot from a little farther out until you find your limit--and maybe even stretch it--rather than repeating the same easy pattern that isn't even a challenge for you in this situation. Use the opportunity to try some things you wouldn't want to do in high-risk situations; you might just end up adding a new element to your game, and if the other team stops you, it's a boost for them and no harm done for you.

For the underdog teams--remember, small victories can be big victories. I remember the first time our rural, no-feeder-program team scored on a top-ten 4-A school...seemed like our one goal was harder on them than their seven were on us.

Score or no score, odds or no odds, play hard, play 80, and play because you love the game.

kick off
kick off
Great Post Coach Chass, couldn't agree more.

goal
goal
This will be my last post on this topic:

I believe that if you can score goals score goals. I would not ever stop shooting and trying to score. Yes it is kinda of bad for the other team but that would not stop me. I love scoring and i think that is one of the great thrills of the game.

Sorry for the teams getting stomped but you will just have to get over it.

Maybe if i ever become a coach or a parent and not a player i will look at this situation differently. But until then the higher the score the better.

This is not rec league anymore people are mean. What is the whole point of a nutmeg, to humilate the other player. Running up the score is the same type of thing. People are mean, life is not fair. The End

"Swing away"

coach
coach
Some of you think that 7 v 11 is as embarassing as 28-0. Now thats really ridiculous. There is no comparison. A coach can work it any number of ways so that both teams have fun, bench players play, no one is embarrassed and the better players even get their skill work in for the next game:
One way: Team A (stronger team) starts 11 bench players v. Team B 11 players for 10 mins. Then on a rotation basis Team A plays top 7 v. Team B 11. That would present some challenge for Team A top 7 to score v. 11 players. Then in 2nd half if it is still 7-8 to 0, you can play with 7,8 Team A bench players v. Team B 11. I guarantee the final would not be close to 28-0. Maybe 8,9-2.

goal
goal
This is my last will and testament: THAT WAS A COMPLETE BLOODBATH AND MASSACRE!!!

The End

kick off
kick off
in my career playing with all types of players from around the world, i've understood that a meg is way worse that getting scored on, so lets all be happy that lakewood didnt get 28 megs.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
I wouldn't suggest that anyone start with 11 bench players...a coach's first responsibility to his team is to get the win, not to risk underestimating the competition. There's a big difference between the start of a game and when you're already up 8 or 10-0.

I remember one game years ago we were down 5-0 at the half...came back and won it 7-5 in the end. You have to be able to judge just how dominant your team is, up and down the field, before you start assuming things...

F
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
F
Coach Chass do you think a team could come back at you from a 10-15 goal margin seriously!

coach
coach
Coach,
If you look at a weak team's prior record (Lake City 0-6, 1 gf, 74 ga. Plus Lakewood won 1st game 20-0), you pretty much know the way the game will go. Of course there are many ways to then approach the game so that both teams accomplish what they need and no one is embarrassed.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
No, not at all...I would sure as heck hope not, anyway! Read back...I just said I wouldn't recommend STARTING the game with 11 bench players on the field...there's a big difference between the opening whistle and when you already have an 8-10 goal margin. There's also a big difference between a team that hasn't scored because they've missed opportunities, and a team that hasn't challenged.

Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard