J
world cup
world cup
J
quote:
Originally posted by benp:
I Benp am a big dumb idiot

I agree..and disagree.

This topic SHOULD be closed. Those of you saying "score on"..are pathetic. It's like you've never scored a goal before.. ..if you're up 10..that's good enough..call it a day.. find a creative way to bide your time till the game is over.. end of story. Putting in 28..that proves nothing..does nothing for the game of soccer.. I'm pretty comfortable garanteeing that none of the 28 goals required any real skill or effort. That isn't soccer..that's practice.

..Lake City should field a team. Every program starts somewhere.. even the Northwesterns, Irmos, and Bishop Englands of the world. From what is posted online.. Lake City only plays region teams.. and all those teams: Crestwood, Wilson, Marion, and Lakewood ..get their arses handed to them year in and year out.

It's disgusting..

hat-trick
hat-trick
I like them fielding a team, just play in a league that is more suitable.
Playing games in a league where you get killed will more than likely do more harm than good. The team will progress 10 times faster if they play against kids who are more along thier same skills. If Lake City was a 1a school, and did not have to play such harsh region games, then more power to them, play away, and your program will grow. But as it stands, rec is more beneficial (and i Guaruntee its more fun). Wear the same uniforms, you can still be the lake city slickers. But if they are embarrassed by their results, then there is no need to have them in the first place.

The kids can still gain the same experience, they can practice after school everyday, and stay out of trouble. They'll get good excercise...I think my solution is logical.

J
world cup
world cup
J
The competition in their region isn't that far above them. Marion, Crestwood, Lakewood, Wilson, Lake City.. it's all the same. But these other schools should have the decency and class to know that when the game is in hand.. it is in hand. Each of these schools are incredibly susceptible to graduation/etc ..I just don't understand it.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
For those that think running up the score is wrong, well, here's "Keeper Dad's" thoughts. It's great for a keeper, you don't ever get that kind of practice. I'd love for my son to have a front 10 like that. In fact, during club he experienced it a few times. He came home more talkative (teenager) than most games. As a keeper, which would you rather have, kids dribbling to the 6yd box and pass it back to their own keeper, stand there for 80 minutes picking daisies, or challenged every minute? Enjoy it Lake City Keeper, it doesn't get any better THAN THAT.
BTW,
quote:
Originally posted by The Fan:
I played college soccer where we lost every game that year. We were a non-scholarship school going up against scholarship schools. We lost 2 matches that year by scores of 19-0. That is bad, but it is worse when your coach does not try to coach you on anything either and then threatens you by not allowing you to eat after the game if you don't "play better".

SEEN IT, AGREE 100%

M
throw in
throw in
M
This thread needs to be closed. It is getting repetitive.

Brace
Brace
28-0??? [Mad] Sad truly sad!!! [Eek!]

S
throw in
throw in
S
You can defeat an opponent without taking his dignity. (period!!!)

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
F them!!!

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Coach B...well said.

To "the infamous" benp:

This is a little uncharacteristic of me, but I'm having to make a conscious effort to write this in a manner so that Kyle won't have to come back and edit it.

You seem to be a well-liked and well-respected fellow around here, so your post really surprised me.

Let me see if I have this straight:
You have a school that is just trying to start a team (or restart it after a couple of seasons without one--not much difference, really) and you want to intentionally "rape" them and embarrass them until you force them to disband the team, disperse their players to a rec team, and stop polluting your elitist world with their inferiority, is that how I should have read that? Did you really mean that, or did I misinterpret a facetious post?

I'm sorry everyone can't magically appear on the soccer scene playing up to your standards, and I'm sorry you think it's such a burden on your team's time to have to play them, but thank God they don't need your permission to play. A lot of young people would miss out on a lot of important lessons, not to mention a lot of fun in the long run.

I coach a girls' team that, when I took it over three years ago, was regularly losing 15-0, 18-0, etc. to the high-ranking teams in our area. They hadn't yet entertained the idea that winning matches was a possibility. One thing was for sure, though...they wanted to learn to get better, and they sure as heck didn't want to be a rec team. Had it been up to you, I'm sure they would have been disbanded as a disservice to the other teams in our region, known for producing state champs.

Three years later, we still struggle against the top-ranked teams. We just lost last night to #3 ranked Wando...by a margin of 3-0 after a scoreless first half. Lucky? Maybe. But a proud moment of competition those girls wouldn't have had if they'd let themselves be run off the field by someone who wants to pass judgement on who is "worthy" of playing and who isn't. I hope the Wando girls aren't too disappointed at the level of "practice" we gave them. They're a fine team, I've always had a lot of respect for them, and I'd hate to be a burden.

My compliments, too, for the high level of sportsmanship we've always received from them, even when we were struggling most. I used to hate the vastly uneven games in our schedule, but then, I've never gotten good at anything except by getting my butt kicked by someone much better until I figured out how to keep up with them. If Lake City is willing to take their lumps, stick with it, and learn from every defeat, then it's not for anyone else to decide they can't...

Just like it's not for anyone to say it's time to stop a discussion just because we've heard the word from on high from "the infamous" and he's tired of it. I'd hate to see a good man let his "infamy" go to his head.

hat-trick
hat-trick
ha, well said coach. I tried hard not to read this topic, but at 8 pages today, i decided to pick it up. First I must say, that it is quite impressive that a program has turned around in just 3 years from losing 15-0 to beating that team 3-0. I must say, my hat is off to you coach, and maybe its time you made a trek up to Lake City and worked a miracle there. (I truly mean it, my respect for your coaching has shot out of the roof)

Having said that, I must say that what is tiring to me of this topic is that eveyone gets on here and blasts teams who beat teams by wide margins. However...to my knowledge, none of those people that complain are the teams that are getting beat by 10+ goals. I will certainly say that my post was rash, and slightly satirical, but i think i didn't get my point across like i thought it in my head. My point was meant to say

"if the teams that are losing are truly upset, then they should play rec, there they can gain experience unlike any they will get from losing by double digits day in and day out." I don't mean to sound like I'm putting them down because they have to play rec. Most people know I'm not much of a soccer player myslelf. I played rec for 5 years, 2 years of club, and 1 year of jv before i quit. Where did I improve the most? rec...mainly because i was bad, and i just became less bad. And I have a feeling that this is the situation these players are in, and i think it would be more emotionally profitable as well as physically profitable for them to play in a league that is suited to their abilities.

I know a majority of you dissagree. But whatever your opinion is, remember, a majority of the people on this board probably dissagree with you too.

Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard