Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#36985 04/06/06 02:25 AM
H
Hawk.. Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
H
What you guys think about this game is Summerville coming back for the region or is Hilton Head taking back home again?

I
kick off
kick off
I
Hilton Head will take it....they are a little too strong...no offense to Summerville though...they are a good team as well but HH will take the region...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Several of Hilton Heads key players are returning from various injuries for tomorow night's game.
Hilton Head should take this one MUCH more easily than the OT game @ HHH.

H
throw in
throw in
H
I don't the few returning starters will make much of a difference. No matter what it is gonna be a close good game.

throw in
throw in
this will be a tight game, but HH will definately come out on top. If there ever was a statement game for Summerville, this is it. If they want to win region VIII, they have to win this game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think HH will take it, but I wish both teams luck.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yea hilton head will definately take this one!!!

H
Hawk.. Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
H
If Hilton Head wins this game guys, u can put down Hilton Head as the winner for region 8 no doubt on that

D
kick off
kick off
D
Fort D. also needs summerville to win if they are to have any chance at region with their win over beaufort

H
bench
bench
H
who won the game?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
the game is tonight...at Summerville

H
bench
bench
H
GO GREEN WAVE!!

F
bench
bench
F
my prediction:
summerville 1 - HH 2 (ot)

kick off
kick off
I'm gonna say summerville pulls an upset in PK's thx to some sick saves by Ronnie Murray.SVLE 4-3 Hilton Head

K
kick off
kick off
K
any update on the game?

T
throw in
throw in
T
Summerville Wins on PK's....Great Job Green Wave

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Looks like the race is on for region this year..Good job Summerville!!!

kick off
kick off
Just to let you know...I called it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hilton Head scored in the first half and led most of the game. Summerville was awarded a very questionable PK with 15 seconds left in stoppage time and tied it up. It was scoreless through the overtime periods and the first round of PKs was 4-4. Summerville won on the 6th shooter. Overall I thought that Hilton Head played a better game but dropped into more of a defensive mode in a pretty frantic second half after a player on each team was red carded. This certainly makes the region race a little tighter.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First of all I have no problem with the Summerville players accept for #4 because spitting on someone is a little bit!$ move. Hilton Head dominated the game and scored the game's only GOAL. Summerville was awarded a pk with less then 1 minute of regulation. It was a certain flop and a early Christmas gift. The fans know it, the players know it, and the coaches know it. I guess that's how it goes with refs on the road but that was a load of crap and ya'll know who played better. Your own announcer after the game told me the pk was bs and that we outplayed ya'll. Good luck the rest of the season but I don't see us losing the region.

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
Anyone who watched the game knows there was only one goal scored tonight. Absolutely incompetent officiating. The red cards given to Carlos and the Summerville player were totally uncalled for. Both players got tangled up and then bumped chests, then immediately separated. No punches were thrown. Very unfair. The PK awarded in the last minute was total chicken ****. The kids deserve better. This was a huge game and they get assigned this crew? While I'm *****in, the pitch at Summerville is awful. It's always been too long and narrow, but now it's almost unplayable. Still, both teams played absolutely great soccer- the best match I've seen this year. HH controlled the first half, scoring on a beautiful cross to James Gray from Paul Veccionne. S'ville put unbelievable pressure on HH in the second half. Juan played out of his mind in goal and denied several terrific shots and rushes. S'ville is a very good team and played good enough to win, but so did HH.

L
bench
bench
L
THAT F....... U what the REF: did to the players of HILTON HEAD. They should never make that ref he is one of the ULGYS man enough of this that ref doesn't know ****!!!!!!

L
bench
bench
L
Summerville got a FREE GAME, THATS WHAT I CALL THAT......

T
throw in
throw in
T
I see a trend - complaining - HH should have won it if they feel as though they got robbed

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I am sure this is the first time this has ever happen in soccer....and I bet HH has had their share of favorable calls this season

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've sat back and observed the comments made about the poor officals and even watched lots of it, however last night's game was horrible. When a Summerville player can be man enough to say that HH was robbed of the game there must be a serious problem.

The offical made numerous bad calls both ways but to make the call against HH's defender was insane. HH's defender never touched the Summerville player and even jumped over him to avoid him. Then to top it off the Summerville coach turned to the parents and made a comment about how the ref "owed him one"!!

In reality HH won that game!! They played very well...well enough to prevent Summerville from earning a real goal.

Keep up the good work HH...the season isn't over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey ManUTD, did you see the match or are you just jumping onto the bandwagon of jealousy? True, soccer is a difficult game to officiate. True, the refs miss a lot of calls because of the speed of the game. BUT, the ref team last night at Summerville was pitiful, an embarressment to the State association of Referees. Amongst many, (all clearly visible on videotape)a bogus yellow on Carlos, bogus red after later being taken down, wrestled with and SPIT on, then the phantom foul in the box with less than a minute left in regulation. Hilton Head did win that game, 1-0, the same way they win many, socre first and play solid defense. Last thought....HH is still first in the region and plays last two tough region games at home. See some of you in the playoffs...at Hilton Head as region winner!

goal kick
goal kick
Somebody needs to call Harris Teeter, they are selling those grapes that taste sour in Hilton Head. The spitting was taken care of immediately (Red Card) and the Ref was equally horrible for both sides. I thought the first half was pretty equal H.H. 3-4 shots on frame Summerville 2-3. The second half Summerville outshot H.H. 12-2, and both Keepers made some great saves. Game is over, it won't be the last badly officiated game so stop the crying. It sounds funny coming from a team with some of the best floppers in the Lowcountry

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Who was red carded? This will certainly affect that team next week in the Palmetto Cup.

M
goal kick
goal kick
M
does the red card roll over to the tournament or the next season game?

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
It counts toward the tournament ... The players that received red cards were Summerville's #4 Matt Kennedy and Hilton Head's #7 Carlos Chirinos ... I know that this is Chirinos' second red card of the season (super player, but has a very quick temper).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How are you going to say hilton head dominated the whole game when summerville out shot them 12-2 in the second half. I guess when you have the least amount of shots on goal that means u dominated

H
Hawk.. Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
H
one thing thats what soccer is all about sometimes youl have a crapy reff and that can kill you. Summerville got the win, but they know that it wasnt a fear one so thats what they can just say we won with the help of the reff but we didnt beat HH in REAL SOCCER..!!!

M
goal kick
goal kick
M
dang that sucks i was hopin he wouldnt play against Fort

H
Hawk.. Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
H
IS carlos only gonna be away for one game or the whole tournament???

H
Hawk.. Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
H
Carlos being out for the first game it could affect alot to HH..Theyre playing Fort Mill.. i think thats the game of that bracket..

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
Mr. Heise:

I was closer to the play than the ref was. He carded Carlos the first time on a complete non-foul. The AR didn't raise his flag, and the center was 30 -40 yards away and called the play. We have that one on tape. It was a glaring error by the ref. On the red card, there were no [punches thrown. The two playere tangeled up, then bumped chests, and that was it. The ref should have red carded himself. It is a total injustice for either Carlos or the Sumerville player to be sanctioned. The ref should be banned for a few games if anyone is to be sanctioned. Ask around, check it out. We can all have off nights, but this guy was totally overmatched. The players played great. The ref was so inconsistent the players couldn't adjust, which breeds frustration. Blame any problems on the field on the ref with this one, he was truly awful.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The game is over, Sumerville got game winning help from the ref, they know were better, we know were better, and too bad region is going to HH. Mr. Harris Teeter, original joke I give you props, where did you think of that? No sour grapes just a straight 1-0 win over Summerville and everyone knows it. Sumerville didn't even score a real goal. Maybe ya'll will come visit us on the road as we have the whole playoffs at home.

E
goal kick
goal kick
E
I would just like to congratulate both the Hilton Head and Summerville players on a very hard fought and well played match. It was one of the better matches I’ve seen between two very talented and evenly matched teams.
I have to say, though, that I’m disappointed to see many of the comments posted on this board regarding the game. Apparently there are many who believe that the game was stolen from Hilton Head and that our guys did not deserve to win. While I’m not a proponent of ending a regular season game in penalties, that’s the way it ended. Our stats on the game are as follows:
1st half shots on target: shs-2, hh-3
2nd half shots on target: shs-12, hh-2
ot shots on target: shs-0, hh-2
1st half corners: shs-1, hh-2
2nd half corners: shs-6, hh-0
ot corners: shs-0, hh-2
I know that these numbers may vary depending on who takes them, but they speak for themselves and I would say that either side had a chance to win in regulation. I’ve seen the tape of the game and noted the pk call at the end. It was not a hard foul but I absolutely do not agree that the game was gifted to us on that play. I did not and I’m not aware of any of my assistants noting to the stands that the ref owed us that call. Nor do we instruct our players to simulate fouls in the box.
I think Summerville should be credited and congratulated for a good win against a very quality opponent. The players have worked too hard and played too well to be discredited. The Hilton Head players should also be given credit for a well played match. It’s become a wonderful rivalry the last few years (5 wins apiece in the past 5 years) and I’m sorry to see Hilton Head move out of this region next year. I wish them the best in the remainder of the season.

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
Quit crying everyone

L
bench
bench
L
MR.Edmund Carson, were do the 12 shot come from.. FROM what I know they only have like 7-8 shot is saw the game and thats not true but.... I guess you guys are happy with that... thats cool I don't blame you... BUT let me ask you something. who was the better team in the field? Summerville guys look tired. and if (Carlos) wouldn't got that red card he probably would kill your defend with his SPEED... and you know Thats True.. Everytime he got the ball the reff would call a foul on him...

M
goal kick
goal kick
M
Its funny how the article in summerville newspaper on the fort vs summerville game made it sound like Fort D wasnt even playing. It didnt mention the fact fort D was ahead twice with an injuried keeper. and here they try to say Hilton Head wasnt even dominant when as there usual thing they passed the ball around the first 30 minutes rarely losing it and than putting a goal in. once theyve noched one they played tough defense as usual. but when the only way u can get past a good gk, such as HH's juan, is from a pk than id say summerville should learn how to finish itleast one more in "12" shots

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If people are trying to say summerville can't score a real goal on HH thats crap. They scored 2 the first time they played. It was HH who was given 2 goals in that game

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
I believe Summerville can score on anybody. They are a very good team. The fact remains, they didn't score Friday night. They had some very good shots, but Hilton Head turned them all away. I know I sound like I'm whining, but it's tragic to have all that great work taken away by the ref. Even Summerville's coach admits it was not a "hard foul". Someone at SCHSL PLEASE review the game film so that this ref doesn't get assigned any more meaningful games. The red cards should not have been given, nor the yellow to Carlos in the first half.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Yes..It does sound like you are whining..The fact is that Summerville won the game..gift or not.It goes in the books as a win so move on and win region and take the bad breaks with the good ones

goal kick
goal kick
Allball- get a diaper change

Lito- Buy a dictionary and was Carlos waiting to dazzle us with his speed late into the second half, where was it the whole time he was in?

Old Ref- I've seen your work in some of your own games and people in glass houses.... Or bad referees should not talk about other bad referees, you both are horrible.

Finally, you should all take the lead from your Head Coach, he is first class. He wins with class and lost with dignity. After the first game he came over and talked to our guys and in the loss had nothing negative to say. He is first class. How many of those grapes did yall buy, just swallow and shut-up.

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
Touche'- At least you agree that the officiating could have been better. Still, Friday night was the best played and most exciting soccer match I have seen this season. My hat is off to the effort of both team's players. No one left anything out on the field. The region just got a lot tighter and will probably come down to the last game. Its a great year for soccer in the low country. Good luck in the tournament.

H
Hawk.. Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
H
SWEEPIT..ask any defender in the state that played against HH.. ask them if they had a chance to play again and if they would like to have to deal with Carlos?? theres no player like him..

L
bench
bench
L
Hey guys Summerville WON the game, there is nothing to do.. so just let it go.. MAYBE this 2 teams would play again...

D
kick off
kick off
D
as a player who defended against carlos he is very talented and very dangerous i have a question though was his red card against summerville his second and if it was will he be suspended the rest of the year

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
Carlos had not received a "hard red" card prior to the Summerville game. His other was two yellow cards against Stratford. I think ref would have been more than justified to caution both players,but that red cards were totally uncalled for as no punches were thrown. I hope this situation will be carefully reviewed by SCHSL if suspensions are to be inforced, as neither player misbehaved in my opinion. There has been some talk of spitting by the S'ville player, if so, I didn't see it, and I was only a few yards away behind the HH bench.

C
Brace
Brace
C
He also recived a double yellow at HH aginst WA. He is a good player but he does have a temper and if he can not control himself any better than that, then he only hurts his team. That makes 2 "soft reds" and 1 stright red. I think he is looking at 2-4 games at least. Also you might note that if HH continues to get red cards they could be faceing probation and that is not what this team needs.. I hope that they can pull themselves together and everyone play great soccer for the rest of the season. I look forward to watching both teams play in the playoffs. Best of Luck!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Apparently, "soft reds" are still considered ejections by the League. I had to play without a starter Friday night because of a "soft red" on Tuesday. There was no notice from the League and after calling and getting no response, my AD said she was ok to play, but someone (I'll refrain from speculating who) said something to an official Friday night before the game, who came over to "suggest" that the report was just late getting filed and that playing her would be a violation of her next-game suspension if the report was turned in.

Anyway, by that definition, two "softs" and a "hard" red makes three ejections...if they all actually got turned in, HSL says ineligible for the remainder of the school year in all sports.

It's a shame sometimes that the opinion (and in the case of cards, it is often very much opinion more than fact) of one person can have such long-reaching effects on not only a single athlete but on the whole program--especially since the people voicing these opinions seem to be the only ones involved in the sport whose actions are not subject to official scrutiny.

Anyway, obviously a great game by both teams--I hope the events of that night don't have that long-reaching effect on either team. Nothing like dragging out the region title suspense just a little longer, anyway--that's the kind of stuff that sells tickets!

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
The two yelllows for Carlos were against West Ashley, not Stratford. That was the only time this year prior to Friday he was ejected, so Friday night makes two. After the West Ashley game, I was told by our head ref for our region that a soft red did not carry a suspension and was not reported to the high school league. By the way, the only game Hilton Head had a problem in at all was the West Ashley. The Seahawks play hard, but clean. If Carlos is suspended for even one game based on what happened Friday, it is a serious injustice. He should not have been carded for the first incidence nor even called for a foul. I saw the play and watched it again on film. The second incidence I have already spoken about. I am all for my actions on the field as a ref being reviewed if necessary. None of us are above making mistakes. We do the best we can, and some do better than others, but I am not threatened by review. The only way I can learn from my mistakes is to be informed about them, especially in the matter of red cards and ejections. I know the official files a report, but I wonder if coaches and other parties or film is consulted to get a clear picture from all sides what happened. I'm sure I saw the events differently than the ref. I know that point of view is VERY important. I think this is an instant that hindsight (20-20) could be very beneficial to all concerned.

C
Coach
Coach
C
No disrespect toward officials was meant by anything I said...I know most officials would be very comfortable under scrutiny. All of us (coaches, players, and officials) could benefit from a little constructive criticism sometimes. In my experience, nobody else is consulted...the attitude I seem to get is that if anyone else has input that doesn't involve close-up film footage, nobody really wants to hear it. I could be wrong.

I need to look into the matter of the "soft red" a little deeper, though; it seems what you were told by your head ref was the opposite of what I was told by the official Friday night. I'd hate to think I sat out a starter who could have made a difference based on misinformation from an official who was obviously approached by another party who didn't want that player in the game. Whew...follow all that?

Anyway, it seems these are two very talented young men in question, and it would be a shame for their seasons to be so affected by a questionable card. Depends largely on the "soft red" ruling...if it's the first recorded offense, one game. If it's the second, two weeks. Wonder if Spring Break counts as a week? Anyway, best of luck to both players and both teams...playoffs should be VERY interesting this year.

throw in
throw in
quote:
Originally posted by allball:
First of all I have no problem with the Summerville players accept for #4 because spitting on someone is a little bit!$ move. Hilton Head dominated the game and scored the game's only GOAL. Summerville was awarded a pk with less then 1 minute of regulation. It was a certain flop and a early Christmas gift. The fans know it, the players know it, and the coaches know it. I guess that's how it goes with refs on the road but that was a load of crap and ya'll know who played better. Your own announcer after the game told me the pk was bs and that we outplayed ya'll. Good luck the rest of the season but I don't see us losing the region.

dude dont make excuses for your loss. take it like a man and move on. you look like an idiot complaining like that. Everyone else who is still talking crap after losing needs to chill. you lost get over it. dont make excuses, maybe there were bad calls, but that's what happens in soccer. it's not just ya'll everyone has bad refs sometimes. GET OVER IT.

B
bench
bench
B
I'd really like to see a replay of that pk. My gut feeling said it was a pk. The defender clearly pushed the attacker down to the ground and prevented him from playing the ball with the keeper and another defender tangled up. I've seen penalties called for less than that.
If I wanted to rob HH, I wasn't going to wait for the last second to do it.
I don't know about the rivalry going on. I don't know stats or who is in what position or what records the teams have prior to the game. Nor do I care. All I know is that those were two good teams and they both had their fair chances to win. If I did "suck" like somebody said (yeah, I did care to read all of y'all's postings) I sucked equally for both teams. I've always said that I'm happy if both teams are happy with me or both hate me.
I am not here to defend myself. I have no regrets. I have played this game for over 20 years. I've ref'd for 10 and I love this game, it's a part of my life. I've taken a fitness test and a laws of the game test and am a certified referee by the USSF and the NHSL. All that said, I am not perfect and I do know that I'm going to miss a call or two. Nobody is perfect. The referee is a part of this game and you just have to adjust yourself to the one refereeing our game. I disagree with the gentleman who said that I was inconsistent with my calls.
Knowing that both teams are good physical teams I decided to allow them to play physically from the start. There were some hard tackles, yes, but most of them were within the rules of the game (I am not going to call petty things or when the players are equally guilty of UB). I delt with the ones that I saw.
I know that most of you are not very familiar with the laws of the game and all of you are biased, yet I thought of giving you my perspective on some of the most desputed calls. I am sure you won't like my explanation but I am open to constructive well mannered criticism.
Let me start with James Woods from Summerville who was yellow carded for dissent. If I wanted Summerville to lose, I could have thrown him out for what he said, but I figured no one else complained so noboby heard it. I still believed I had to address it and I came back at the next stoppage and gave him a yellow card. That's when the Summerville bench exploded and it went downhill from there. But I will come back for the coaches later.
The second yellow card was for Carlos Chirinos. Anyone who sees the foul on the replay will argue that he did not deserve a yellow card for that foul. And I would AGREE. However if you observe the game closer before the yellow was issued you'd notice that both him and Gandini (the other forward) had several chalanges from the back fouling the defenders in their attempt to win the ball. Carlos especially likes to use his elbows but I'll come back for that later. So the yellow card was issued for PI (Persistent Infringement). I know the crowd maybe even the coaches did not know why he was given the card. Most importantly I don't think Carlos knew why he was given the card. I talked to him throughout the game and warned him several times. He was getting frustrated because he wasn't getting the calls his way. At halftime my ARs told me to pay attention on the diving of some of the HH players. They do dive a lot. I could have addressed that with cautions but failed to do so. The defenders played firm but fair for the most part (I guess they did adjust to the refereeing style). Carlos in his frustration was throwing elbows left and right and continued fouling. He was really close to a second yellow card. Had he received it the next ordeal would have been prevented.
In the 73rd minute after another one of his fouls the defender obviously frustrated got in his face. I can see it in slow motion right now like I saw it 10 yards away from it. He got in Chirinos'es face and I immediately dashed towards the two. I saw Carlos elbowing Matt after I had blown my whistle. By book a hit during a dead ball is a straight red. Immediatelly after that I saw Matt spitting at Chirinos as he was getting pulled away by his teammates. I was quick on the red cards as I did want to prevent a bigger fight from breaking out. Matt was obviously upset and asked why he was getting the red card. After I told him that it was for spitting, he replied "What the f*** are you talking about!?" I have put that in my report as well so to answer someone's question, I don't believe he'd be playing the rest of the season as the League does not tolerate foul language.
After the game Matt's father came and congratulated my ARs but said that his son was unjustfully ejected. After I told him why I ejected him, he said his son could have never done that. The next day I received an email from one of my ARs who know that person and he emailed him to appologize saying that his son admited that he DID spit at the other guy.
That just comes out to show how biased we all can be as fen and how differently we see the game from outside. I give that man credit for being a gentleman and appologizing to my AR.
I'd like to thank the HH coach for being a great gentleman. Not a single time had I any problems with him or his bench. I am sorry to say that that was not the case with the Summerville bench.
I do realize that a coach is entitled to support his team more so than anybody else. However not at all coast. Screaming and disputing every call will not make the referee call the game your way. And is that what you want? Will that be a game? And will you be satisfied with the win? How does that make my job any easier? I already have my hands full with 22 heated young men full of testosterone on the pitch. I regret having to deal with that coach and spending so much time on something like that. I am sorry that the spectators had to witness that scene. Next time I'd know how to deal with this the right way.
I have already discussed the penalty call. I also heard the Summerville bench yell that I owed them something after I made that call. To be honest that made me even more upset at them.
All game they had screamed at me. It is a human thing to do to react the opposite way. Why would I give them a pk if they had screamed at me all game? Why not make them pay? Could I have done it? Sure I'd already dismissed a couple of penalty claims. But I can't be like that on the field. What I personally would have done could not affect the ref in me. And the ref in me believed that that attacker was pushed and prevented from playing the ball to the open net. Did the defender do it intentionally or not does not matter. He was denied play of the ball.
So that's that.
I might not be the best referee, but I can tell you that it takes a lot of guts to call that in the last minute of play, to call what you believe you should call. Just put yourself in my shoes and you will understand. But this is who I am and I will not change to be liked. My assignor had faith in my abilities to referee. He's seen me referee and he must have thought I could handle the pressure. I did not cave in and did not call any call to please anybody.
Good luck to both teams in the future and see you on the soccer pitch.

S
bench
bench
S
ok thank you ref for writing that as it must have taken a lot of time...yes i am from hilton head and yes i was at that game...biased or not the PK call at the end was wrong...the defender (chris sankowski) jumped straight into the air to try and head a ball out of the penalty area..a summerville player (much smaller, like you should have seen) tried to push sankowski off of the ball but didnt have enough momentum to pull it off...the summerville player was trying to commit a foul but it just back fired and he went to the ground...if you watch the taping of the game that we have you will see that sankowski, after heading the ball out, also falls to the ground because of the player pushing on him...with the other stuff that you let "slide" in that game was much worse then that...and that is just horibble to know that a team can work so hard, not to take any thing away from summervilla, they played hard to, but HH played there hearts out and got robbed at the end on a bad call

I
goal kick
goal kick
I
seahawks, thats pretty pathetic that you are still blabbing about this call. im really suprised your coach let you watch the tape. Its over and done with. the game was LAST WEEK. get over it and move on. Its not going to benefit your team at all going into the playoffs talking about how you got robbed, yada yada. Take it as motivation and take it to the future teams you play.

Goal
Goal
The #1 problem for officials in my opinion. Thanks to this referee for summing it up.
quote:
I don't know about the rivalry going on. I don't know stats or who is in what position or what records the teams have prior to the game. Nor do I care.

goal kick
goal kick
Cola Fan hit the nail on the head. It was 2 years ago when these teams had a major fight happen on the field. I heard the Summerville coach ask 'If you still had control over the game". I also think he was being sarcastic about the "owed him one" statement, most people call this a make-up call for everything he had missed prior. If the ref had looked into the history, records, anything, he or any decent ref would have called the fouls sooner and not let it get out of hand, such as this. The AR seemed to have no problems with anything the coach was saying, I even saw them sharing a few jokes on the sideline. Maybe you should ref like you have been there before and not like a tourist from the Balkins on his first visit to a game. You should check to see if the S'ville has any history of yellow cards from there bench. But like you said " if you had made the calls earlier the next ordeal would have been prevented".

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
I think the ref displays his obvious bias in his missive. He should look at the game film along with his assigner. Why would you give a yellow card for PI if no foul occured. I have watched Carlos play many times. He does not attack players with his elbows. He gets fouled way more than he fouls. He is an aggressive, dangerous player that most defenders can't deal with "straight up'. He is theatrical to be sure. Most of the time the ref whistled him for beating his opponent. I never felt the game was getting out of hand. The kids played great soccer. Carlos did NOT complain for the obvious bogus yellow he got in the first half. He did NOT elbow his opponent after the whistle blew. I admit my bias, but for ref to say that he had no knowledge of the players or agenda prior to the game is preposterous. While it may be useful to know there was a fight two years ago, the best way to ref is manage play as you see it. Reputations aren't always deserved. Get close to the action and call a fair game. I doubt you could find one person who saw the game from either side that would say ref called a good game. I know game film was taken. It should be watched and reviewed.

goal
goal
Your right oldref, this balkan guy obviously has the dreaded "I'm without a doubt right and you are terribly wrong" official attitude. He says that there were alot of elbows thrown, I wish he would sit and watch some professional soccer matches and see the "aggresive" play that those boys use. Yes it is a physical game, tight play is good, but bad, untimely calls and cards ruin it. Sorry balkan, you blew that game!

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Gentlemen -

I read this thread a couple of days ago and am surprised to see that it is still going on. Frankly, I had no intention of commenting, but now that BalkanTourist has weighed in, I would like to add a few things.

First, I could not attend this match and, consequently, cannot comment on anything that happened at the match. I have been offered a video of the game to review, but do not need or want to see it.

Second, I can find absolutely no fault with anything that Balkan Tourist has said. I, too, am a ref and his summation is complete and reflects a good understanding of his role and the laws. Whether I or anyone else agrees with his decisions, he called what he saw and that is the end of it.

Third, I spoke to Roger Hazel at the SCHSL and a "soft" red is not an ejection that warrants a suspension. This is what I understood and this is confirmed. It is unfortunate that situations like the one described by Coach Chass occur (an opposing coach or fan mis-interpretting the rules and causing a player to unnecessarily miss a game), but the fact is that a second yellow card in one high school match results in only a "soft" red and is not considered an ejection that warrants a suspension (I have always equated it to a basketball player receiving his fifth personal foul and sitting the remainder of the game).

Fourth, the first "straight" or "hard" red card during a season results in a one game suspension. The second results in a two week suspension. Carlos Chirinos (and I assume the young man from Summerville) will serve that suspension by sitting out the first match in the Palmetto Cup.

Lastly, I greatly appreciate the honesty in the comments from BalkanTourist. As a ref, you do not want to influence the outcome of a match and, despite the feelings of some players, coaches and fans, you rarely do. Soccer is a physical sport and not every hard contact is a foul, although some soft contact is. Again, I did not see the match, but this referee clearly had the correct mindset.

Lets end this discussion.

world cup
world cup
I appreciate the ref lending us his honest perspective. I also think both teams must have played very hard and each deserved at least a point from this match. Another great example of why we don't need these silly PK's to decide regular season games. Give each team the point.....get rid of the PK's!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Thanks for the update from Roger Hazel on the "soft red" situation--that saved me a phone call! Wish I'd known for sure last week, but this may save us from the same situation in the future. At any rate, I figured when an official indicates repeatedly that he doesn't think a particular player should be on the field, it was only a matter of time before that player got removed anyway...so, better safe than sorry, I guess.

I am wondering if that rule has changed, though...I know I have had players who had "soft reds" in the past who got the official letter from the HSL and had to fill out the "Why I should be sorry for my unsportsmanlike behavior" forms.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard