Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
goal kick
goal kick
Cola Fan hit the nail on the head. It was 2 years ago when these teams had a major fight happen on the field. I heard the Summerville coach ask 'If you still had control over the game". I also think he was being sarcastic about the "owed him one" statement, most people call this a make-up call for everything he had missed prior. If the ref had looked into the history, records, anything, he or any decent ref would have called the fouls sooner and not let it get out of hand, such as this. The AR seemed to have no problems with anything the coach was saying, I even saw them sharing a few jokes on the sideline. Maybe you should ref like you have been there before and not like a tourist from the Balkins on his first visit to a game. You should check to see if the S'ville has any history of yellow cards from there bench. But like you said " if you had made the calls earlier the next ordeal would have been prevented".

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
I think the ref displays his obvious bias in his missive. He should look at the game film along with his assigner. Why would you give a yellow card for PI if no foul occured. I have watched Carlos play many times. He does not attack players with his elbows. He gets fouled way more than he fouls. He is an aggressive, dangerous player that most defenders can't deal with "straight up'. He is theatrical to be sure. Most of the time the ref whistled him for beating his opponent. I never felt the game was getting out of hand. The kids played great soccer. Carlos did NOT complain for the obvious bogus yellow he got in the first half. He did NOT elbow his opponent after the whistle blew. I admit my bias, but for ref to say that he had no knowledge of the players or agenda prior to the game is preposterous. While it may be useful to know there was a fight two years ago, the best way to ref is manage play as you see it. Reputations aren't always deserved. Get close to the action and call a fair game. I doubt you could find one person who saw the game from either side that would say ref called a good game. I know game film was taken. It should be watched and reviewed.

goal
goal
Your right oldref, this balkan guy obviously has the dreaded "I'm without a doubt right and you are terribly wrong" official attitude. He says that there were alot of elbows thrown, I wish he would sit and watch some professional soccer matches and see the "aggresive" play that those boys use. Yes it is a physical game, tight play is good, but bad, untimely calls and cards ruin it. Sorry balkan, you blew that game!

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Gentlemen -

I read this thread a couple of days ago and am surprised to see that it is still going on. Frankly, I had no intention of commenting, but now that BalkanTourist has weighed in, I would like to add a few things.

First, I could not attend this match and, consequently, cannot comment on anything that happened at the match. I have been offered a video of the game to review, but do not need or want to see it.

Second, I can find absolutely no fault with anything that Balkan Tourist has said. I, too, am a ref and his summation is complete and reflects a good understanding of his role and the laws. Whether I or anyone else agrees with his decisions, he called what he saw and that is the end of it.

Third, I spoke to Roger Hazel at the SCHSL and a "soft" red is not an ejection that warrants a suspension. This is what I understood and this is confirmed. It is unfortunate that situations like the one described by Coach Chass occur (an opposing coach or fan mis-interpretting the rules and causing a player to unnecessarily miss a game), but the fact is that a second yellow card in one high school match results in only a "soft" red and is not considered an ejection that warrants a suspension (I have always equated it to a basketball player receiving his fifth personal foul and sitting the remainder of the game).

Fourth, the first "straight" or "hard" red card during a season results in a one game suspension. The second results in a two week suspension. Carlos Chirinos (and I assume the young man from Summerville) will serve that suspension by sitting out the first match in the Palmetto Cup.

Lastly, I greatly appreciate the honesty in the comments from BalkanTourist. As a ref, you do not want to influence the outcome of a match and, despite the feelings of some players, coaches and fans, you rarely do. Soccer is a physical sport and not every hard contact is a foul, although some soft contact is. Again, I did not see the match, but this referee clearly had the correct mindset.

Lets end this discussion.

world cup
world cup
I appreciate the ref lending us his honest perspective. I also think both teams must have played very hard and each deserved at least a point from this match. Another great example of why we don't need these silly PK's to decide regular season games. Give each team the point.....get rid of the PK's!

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Thanks for the update from Roger Hazel on the "soft red" situation--that saved me a phone call! Wish I'd known for sure last week, but this may save us from the same situation in the future. At any rate, I figured when an official indicates repeatedly that he doesn't think a particular player should be on the field, it was only a matter of time before that player got removed anyway...so, better safe than sorry, I guess.

I am wondering if that rule has changed, though...I know I have had players who had "soft reds" in the past who got the official letter from the HSL and had to fill out the "Why I should be sorry for my unsportsmanlike behavior" forms.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard