Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
coach
OP Offline
coach
Palmetto Cup Scores for the remainder of the tournament are here at the top of the thread!

Palmetto Cup - Final Day Schedule

SATURDAY, APRIL 15 @ UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA
Hilton Head 2-3 (OT) Farragut (TN)
Brookland-Cayce 2-3 Northwestern
Farragut (TN) 1-10 Northwestern (Championship, 1-2) - Stone Stadium

SATURDAY, APRIL 15 @ EAGLE STADIUM
Airport 1-5 Riverside
Kelly Walsh 0-3 Wando
Fort Mill 2-0 Spring Valley

SATURDAY, APRIL 15 @ THE CAGE
South Anchorage 3-2 Summerville
James Island 1-3 Socastee
Lexington 2-1 Daniel

[ April 16, 2006, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Dave Easley ]

J
world cup
world cup
J
I'm kind of surprised I don't have any voice mail right now..

world cup
world cup
NW 5
S'ville 0

coach
OP Offline
coach
This is a national high school tournament! One of the best! There must be live streaming video of the matches! Kyle, you must provide this for those who have real lives and jobs!

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Unfortunately our internet connection at Eagle Stadium is not working properly. They have a laptop on site, but no internet service is available at this time. We're hoping to have this remedied tomorrow.

1st Match -- Northwestern 5-0 Summerville
2nd Match (in progress) -- Spring Valley 2-2 Farragut-TN (69')

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
any word of sv farraguy game?

World Cup
World Cup
PALMETTO CUP DAY 1 SCORES/RESULTS
Northwestern 5-0 Summerville
Farragut 3-2 Spring Valley
Kelly Walsh 4-2 Airport
Brookland-Cayce 0-0 Lexington

STANDINGS
Group A -- Brookland-Cayce (0-0-1, 4 PTS) & Lexington (0-0-1, 4 PTS)
Group B -- Northwestern (1-0-0, 10 PTS) & Summerville (0-1-0, 0 PTS)
Group C -- Kelly Walsh (1-0-0, 9 PTS) & Airport (0-1-0, 2 PTS)
Group D -- Farragut (1-0-0, 9 PTS) & Spring Valley (0-1-0, 2 PTS)

hat-trick
hat-trick
for those of you who missed "the infamous show" today on the radio, here is my recap of the games. I didn't catch the shot counts or fouls or anything like that in the games, so it'll just be what I saw.

Northwestern vs. summerville??? I don't think anything but the score really needs to be said, other than the fact that Northwestern had another one in the net, but there was a foul somewhere away from the ball at the top of the box. I think any Northwestern doubters will be convinced after Northwestern breezes through group play. Summerville simply isn't on par with the top tier 4a schools.

Farragut 3-2 Spring Valley. This was an interesting game. Spring Valley goes up 2 nothing very early, and it looked like Farragut just didn't expect to be challenged. However, slow and steady won the race today, and Farragut put 2 goals in before the end of the half. During the second half, Spring Valley appeared to play without the intensity they had during region play, and Farragut had the better of play. They put one in with 6 minutes left to go, to clinch a victory in their first game in South Carolina. The first two goals were a corner, and a throwin, one of which just barely went over the line, and was scooped out, but the referee was there to make the call. The third goal appeared to be one that Jenkins normally saves, but certainly not an easy shot. Eamon Penland, and Patrick Clements scored for SV.

Airport 2-4 Kelly Walsh. Kelly Walsh will not win another game in the tournament, unless something drastically changes.

BC 0-0 Lexington. By far the most exciting game of the night. Both teams had opportunities, both teams failed to capitalize. One of BC's defenders cleared the ball off the line after their keeper was pulled out attempting to make a save, and Lexington's Brett Keatly ripped a shot that hit post and rolled across the goal mouth, not 2 feet from Reel Callison. At both of those moments, I thought Lexington would take the lead. BC's Andrew Evans hit post on a header that looked in for sure, and Caio Gaspar saw his own shot go just wide of the mark. No cards at all in this match to my knowledge, and none were deserved, both sides played good clean soccer. It was fun to watch Andrew Evans man marked by Jess Maki. Two great athletic soccer players step for step all over the field, forcing Evans to play distributer for the most part.

hat-trick
hat-trick
6 points for a win. 3 for a draw. 1 for each goal up to 3. 1 for a shutout. I'm not sure about cards, i'm sure it says in the program, but its in my car.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
-1 for soft red (or 2 yellows), -2 for straight red (If I remember correctly).

What did you think of the refereeing in the BC-Lex game. I think they spent entirely too much time talking. Game was physical, but never dirty in my opinion.

I was really surprised at the "low" level the Wyoming state champplays. I am hoping it was "playing down" to their opponent. Airport fought hard but does not have the guns.

NW first game was a start to claim the #1 ranking.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
By the way.... it may be a team thing, but the BC mohawks have to go...

Goal
Goal
quote:
Originally posted by futbol(soccer):
-1 for soft red (or 2 yellows), -2 for straight red (If I remember correctly).

What did you think of the refereeing in the BC-Lex game. I think they spent entirely too much time talking. Game was physical, but never dirty in my opinion.

I was really surprised at the "low" level the Wyoming state champplays. I am hoping it was "playing down" to their opponent. Airport fought hard but does not have the guns.

NW first game was a start to claim the #1 ranking.

IT'S WYOMING!!!!

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE LIVE IN WYOMING? DO A QUICK POPULATION CHECK AND COME BACK HERE.

As for the BC mowhawks. Obviously it's a team thing but it still probably looks better than 80% of the haircuts you high school kids have nowadays anyways. Flock of seagulls? HONESTLY!

coach
OP Offline
coach
What are the best matches to catch for today Thurs.?
Maybe early games at Eagle and later games at Cage?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Shut^... Touche...At least they can see the ball compared to other players.

As far as Wy... Casper has a population of 50000 but even in towns in SC with that population density they have better teams. In retrospect Airport was not much better so you may have a point there.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Not knowing anything about the Alaskan team...

The cage... JI vs BC and Riverside vs Wando (6 and 7:45 respectively)

Eagle Stadium... FM vs HH 9:30 (you are late), farragut vs Riverside (1PM), maybe Daniel vs Socastee 7:15PM

I would do as you said..Airport early , the cage late.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I didn't really watch the game as closely as i could of, and not to see what I thought of the refs. But I didn't really dissagree with anything they called.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I didn't disagree either... they just spent too much time talking, to players, to coaches, etc... and did not add to the clock. I assume that it is a tournament rule that no additional time is to be added

I will give them credit in reversing 2 calls made by the farthest offcial from the play at the time.

Brace
Brace
Scores from Thursday matches at the 14th Annual Palmetto Cup - Cayce/West Columbia SC

At Eagle Stadium:

Hilton Head 2-0 Fort Mill
Daniel 4-1 Summerville
Farragut-TN 3-1 Riverside
Hilton Head 6-1 Airport
Daniel 4-2 Socastee

At The Cage:

Northwestern 5-2 Socastee
Lexington 4-0 South Anchorage-AK
Kelly Walsh-WY 1-2 Fort Mill
James Island 1-2 Brookland-Cayce
Riverside 1-3 Wando (77th Minute)

Please note: Scores will be updated as often as we can ... Thank you for your patience.

[ April 13, 2006, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Heise ]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
any word on the lexington south anchorage game

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
seems as if all the out of state teams are good but just not to the caliber of the ones froms sc

B
bench
bench
B
anyone know anything about daniel

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the won 4-1 against summerville

kick off
kick off
daniel is good. very strong team, very physical, and very good in the air. could possibly make a run in winning this thing.

N
throw in
throw in
N
Can anyone tell me about the HH game? Who scored for them?

coach
OP Offline
coach
Group Winners will be:
A - BC or Lex. v. B - Northwestern (continues to be much too easy for Northwestern 4-1)

C - Hilton Head v. D - Farragut (a lot of speed and skill in this game; will be a fast, intense game for Farragut 4-3. If all of HH players were in tournament, they would possibly take Farragut.

Final: Northwestern v. Farragut
(Best team Northwestern has played this year, Farragut is too quick & fast)
Champions - Farragut 2-1.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i dont know if u were watching the same game but Farruget did not look to be any good.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
games to watch Friday 14th...

the cage
10:45 Wando vs Farragut
5:45 NW vs Daniel

Airport
10:45 SV vs Riverside
5:30 Lex vs JI
7:15 Wando vs SV (the game to watch)

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
benp.... any wrap up for today?

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Any impressions or recaps of today's games?

hat-trick
hat-trick
Alright. I had other commitments today during the morning, as I will tomorrow.

Lexington 4-0 South Anchorage...please no one complain about the heat, or the black jerseys (which isn't smart if you ask me), the score was 3-0 18 minutes in. SA simply isn't as good as our SA, or the other teams in their group. Lexington showed some good skill, Reel had a nice goal...and I lost interest. (I did notice that Gustavo wasn't playing, and I didn't see him on the sidelines either...is he out of town?)

Kelly Walsh 1-2 Fort Mill...definately thought I was gonna be biting my tounge today when i got home, as Fort Mill went down early, and didn't seem like they wanted to come back. Joe Cahill put one in to tie it up off a throwin nearly 20-30 minutes into the game, and then the game winner came sometime in the first half as well. During the second half I was helping unload some goods into the concession stands, and again, waiting for the matches that evening. (it was stifling)

James Island 1-2 BC...BC continued the trend of scoring off throwins, as Scott Busbee put in the first goal in the first 10 or 15 minutes, and it was clear the cage is the home of the bearcats. At one point BC had outshot JI 8-1, and didn't look to let up. Lee smith hit a devastating shot to the back top corner of the net to give them a 2-0 lead at halftime. JI fought hard, and in turn had their own nasty backside goal, and another than deflected just off the post. But their efforts fell far short of an equalizer, and BC and Lexington both look be the only teams that can come out of that group.

Wando 3-1 Riverside. Wando should win their group, but the Farragut game is certainly tomorrows game of the day. I didn't watch this game as closely as I'd have liked, but it was fairly physical, and both teams were out to get eachother. The difference in this match? Seniors vs. sophmores. Riverside will have their year, Wando is having theirs, and yet will still bring alot back for next year. Riverside had one scramble infront of the goal where I swear I thought they'd score 4 times, but other than that, the true chances were in favor of Wando.

W
goal
goal
W
Ben P ,

Maybe watch the game instead of the Ref's, Just kidding.

Evans scored for BC.

J
world cup
world cup
J
..or the girls.

Goal
Goal
OR STOP SHOWING UP IN JEANS!!!!!

Brace
Brace
Thanks to 2004striker for allowing us to edit the post at the top of this thread! All remaining live score updates from the 14th Annual Palmetto Cup will be there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
soo right now it looks as if bc will win their group unless SA pulls of a miraculous comback

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
4-0 NW over Daniel

nough said!

hat-trick
hat-trick
OK, points taken, will (its the mohawks), suandp (that was a mistake, and...le dude...
Congrats to Hilton Head, Farragut, BC, and Northwestern in making the semis, should make for some interesting games tomorrow morning.

Farragut 1 Wando 1.
This game was a great one, as I expected. Both teams played hard to the end. Farragut scored with nearly 10 minutes to go, and most people thought it was over, as both teams had had trouble getting the ball into threatening positions, as well as actually finishing. Wando's Kirby Burkholder however, put away a beauty on a header to tie the match with around 5 minutes to go, and since neither team deserved to lose, it ended how it should. A Tie!

Hilton Head 4 Kelly Walsh 2
After seeing Hilton Head play for the first time this year, I don't believe the hype about their team, or their goalie. However, their two forwards are some of the best in South Carolina. It was almost as if they were playing girls basketball back in the day when you had offensive players, and defensive players on opposite sides of the court that never go on both sides. The forwards did all the attacking, and everyone else played defense. Cristian Gandini put together an astounding hat trick, while also ripping the shot off the post that translated into an own goal on the part of a KW defender. His second goal was a thing of beauty, just a rocket to the near corner, and I believe the keeper didn't move until after the ball had hit the back of the net. Carlitos Chirinos ended with 2 assists, and his play was outstanding despite being kept out of the net.

Northwestern 4 Daniel 0
Its no wonder the only blemish on the NW schedule is a pk loss to Dreher. They are identical teams, with probably more overall talent in the favor of NW. They both thrive on set peices, throwins, and corners, and both are extremely well at not only scoring from those attacks, but defending them as well. Daniel was not an easy foe, and the power NW desplayed in such an outcome is in fact scary to me, I believe they have earned their number 1 spot as of now, and it will take alot of hard work on their part to lose it.

Spring Valley 3 Wando 2
By far the most exciting match of the day. It was 1-0 when I arrived at halftime, and I was so glad to get there when i did. Spring Valley certainly had a slight edge on the play, but Wando didn't let up, despite being down by 2, for most of the second half. Sean Flynn took a beating today...and finished with 4 goals. in the early match vs. riverside, he collided with the keeper, and was bleeding for the remainder of the day it seemed, but still managed to sneak in 2 goals in the final 2 minutes of the first game game. In today's game, he scored off a great assist by Clements in order to go up 2-0 midway in the second half. Wando answered by (i believe) another goal from Burkholder, but it was SV's 3rd goal that will be talked about for quite some time. The keeper made a great save, but the ball tricked out 35 yards from the goal in a bounce, and Flynn one-touched it all 35, plus 50 feet in the air on target. As the keeper and a defender scrambled to keep it out, they found themselves too late as the ball bounced off the ground, and into the top of the net...incredible. Flynn took his other blow a couple of minutes after that; he was pushed into the bar on a wando corner, and went down for quite a while. The Wando player got his card, and was sent off for recieving a second caution, but Flynn was also carded for language, and 15 minutes later, everything was settled and the final 2 minutes were played.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3-1 NW over BC

On to the finals...

Too bad Arroyo and Oscar could not play. It would really be ugly...

Great Job Boys...

F
kick off
kick off
F
Why could Oscar not play?

throw in
throw in
he has some kind of knee injury don't know how severe but could be out for rest of season.

Z
throw in
throw in
Z
who won Hilton Head game this morning

Z
throw in
throw in
Z
who won Hilton Head game

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Farragut won in OT not sure what the final was though

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
dudes...look at the very first entry in the thread... it has the updates of the scores.

Farr 3 - HH 2 in OT
NW 3 - BC 2

Riverside 5 - Airport 1
South Anchorage 3 - SUmmerville 2
Wando 1 - Kelly Walsh 0 (35 in)

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
Hats off to the BC people and others at Airport for a great tournament. There probably weren't too many surprises. Northwestern has a great team and I can't wait to hear how they come out against Farragut. Can't say enough good about that group. They played a great match against Hilton and pulled out the win late. Their fans were awesome and I hope they come back to this tournament. HH's lack of depth showed in the end as they simply gave out of gas. I saw a bit of the BC game against NW. They made a great game of it, but seemed to be out-manned. I was really surprised by Summerville's showing, or lack of it. They were really playing well last week, but I guess they were at home. Wando showed they are a very tough, determined, and talented team. I have been impressed with Spring Valley since Mt. Pleasant. They played a great game against Wando last night. Terriffic team play. I just saw that Fort Mill beat them 1-0. There's a lot of parity in 4-A. Daniel made a great showing also. What an exciting week. Even the refs were great! To benp: The field conditions and wind for the HH game vs Kelly Walsh really dictated what they could do. I was really amazed how NW took play to Daniel into the wind in the game after, but they really didn't control the game until they got the wind at their back. To really play well into the wind, you have to keep the ball on the floor, but the field conditions really prevented that. I hope you got to see the semi's this morning. Much better play out of HH, I thought.

F
kick off
kick off
F
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2004striker:
[QB] Palmetto Cup Scores for the remainder of the tournament are here at the top of the thread!

SATURDAY, APRIL 15 @ EAGLE STADIUM
Airport 1-5 Riverside
Kelly Walsh 0-3 Wando
Fort Mill 1-0 Spring Valley

Fort Mill 2-0 Spring Valley final score

L
throw in
throw in
L
any word on the championship?

throw in
throw in
4-0 nw at the half

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
are u serious

throw in
throw in
yes and from what i hear it could have been worse. lots of missed oppertunities by the trojans.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow...that is quite a beating

E
goal kick
goal kick
E
Any word on JI v Socastee?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Soc 3 JI 1

Z
throw in
throw in
Z
what was the final score in championship game.. 4-0 half .. unreal, the number one ranking is legit, wish it was Hilton Head instead, think they would have put up a better fight. upper state belongs to NW, lower state has more quality teams this year, it is a shame they have to knock each other off . State final will be great this year. hope lowerstate can suprise NW. Congrats to NW, and all who played. by far a steller tourney.

kick off
kick off
FM 2 Spring Valley 0, not 1-0

World Cup
World Cup
2006 Palmetto Cup Championship

NORTHWESTERN 10-1 FARRAGUT-TN

more to come ...

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
Wow

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Holly S***.. Man we could of done much better than that.. just that last stupid minute.. Congrats to NW.. see yall at States...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is that the final score??

throw in
throw in
yes that is the final score. great job trojans.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I'm glad you'll be willing to make the trip up to see irmo play northwestern allfutbol...ha, jk, i think Hilton Head has as good a chance as any to get stomped at Stone. Tonights game proved that when you give NW a wide open field, they will absolutely run you to the ground. Up until this game, and the one vs. BC this morning, I wasn't sure about their ability to score in the run of play. But 10 goals all excellent finishes, got rid of any doubts that were imbedded in my mind.

Congrats to the upperstate 4a schools, Fort Mill also proved something with a win over spring valley. Congrats to the midstate 3a schools, BC plays NW the toughest they've seen in months, and Dreher handed them what will be their only loss of the season. And (i'm sorry but) boo to the charleston schools. James Island came in ranked 3, and should come out ranked 10th or worse, while Summerville may have just earned themselves unranked status from here on out. Wando was good, but not as impressive as I was looking forward to seeing. Lowerstate 4a is absolutely wide-open right now. Between Irmo, Spring Valley, Wando, and Hilton Head, I really can't say who will be there, but it will be one of those 4 teams.

throw in
throw in
so are there anymore people that still doubt that nw is legit. I know that everyone was saying that without arroyo this team wouldn't do anything. I just wish that norman north would have been here. that would have been a great game to watch. maybe next year no?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I am now in line with the rest... NW deserves the #1 ranking....wow....10-1 .... I do not know what to say.

I have to agree with Benp, i was not impressed with JI or Summeville. I honestly expected more.

Who was the most impressive team (outside of NW)from SC? What team is most likely to be a power in the coming playoffs (outside of NW)?

I think Spring Valley, Wando and Lexington are threats in 4A, BC and Daniel look good for 3A (Socastee look good against JI).

All in all I thought it was a great tournament, and congrats to BC... It was very enjoyable.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I know you're behind lexington, but being in upperstate, the best they can do is lose to NW. The battle (just like 3a) is to see who will win lowerstate.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Agreed... may be more than they can chew. Spring Valley has to be my pick. inconsistent a little is the only concern...
Lex may be better next year. NW supposedly looses alot of seniors

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
Because of the format, playing so many games in a short time, I 'm not sure you can base accurate predictions on how the playoffs will go. NW had to be the fresher team tonight. Faragut went into OT today and had to play Spring Valley, Wando, and Hilton Head to get there. Also, NW played Daniel, Socastee, and BC to get to the finals. All good teams, but which list would you choose to play. After seeing Faragut play today, I am surprised any team could demolish them that way, big field or small. NW certainly deserves their #1 ranking, but no way I consider them a lock to win it all. WhileSpring Valley was defeating Wando, Fort Mill was playing Airport. Which team do you think will have the edge on one days rest. Such is tournament soccer. It was a lot of fun. NW played great and deserved the championship. I hope Farragut returns to the tournament, as they were a very good side. Good luck to all these teams in the playoffs.

hat-trick
hat-trick
My fault man, your right. NW is just your average number 1 team. hell, any of the old irmo squads could have beaten farragut 10-1 if they had played the teams they did in road to the ship. Are you smoking? I don't care who they played, NW's starters and bench players absolutely dominated everyone except BC, and they certainly played well in the BC game despite ONLY a 3-2 result. Point taken in the SV FM game, 2-0 is a little more of a fatigued scoreline than 10-1. Every one of the NW goals was quality, and their play on the field was excellent as well.

J
world cup
world cup
J
Good..God..Almighty..

..so this is vindication..

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
Did not get to see the final tonight, so I speculate only. I saw NW play Daniel for a half, and I cought bits and pieces of their semi-final against BC. NW is my #1, followed by Spring Valley. Haven't seen South Aiken, so I can't comment. I just don't think the big run up on Farragut tells us as much as you think. If both teams are fresh, do you think NW would beat Spring Valley 10-1. How good are the 3-A schools really, compared to 4-A? If you go by the tournaments- better, except for NW. NW does have some weaknesses a good team could exploit if given time to prepare. BC loses to NW 2-3. But they also lost to Hilton Head 4-1. Farragut beats HH 3-2 in OT. Big deal. Farragut had dead legs tonight-had to. They were a very good team this morning. I just don't think you learn all that much by comparing scores. Compare matchups. On paper, right now, it looks like NW should win over HH or Wando, or Spring Valley, but that doesn't guarantee the result on game night.

22 Offline
throw in
throw in
Do you really think 4A has that much on 3A this year...you should probably check out Greenville, Dreher, BC, etc....

T
kick off
kick off
T
Northwestern dominated almost all of the BC game. They missed a few open goals. BC's goals came off of a throw in into the goal and a weak pk call. Other then that they pretty much packed it in and played the long ball. Good strategy, but the game was dominated by northwestern for all but about 10-15 min in the second half.

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
I definitely agree that the top 3-A teams are competitive with the 4-A programs. Don't forget Socastee, Daniel, and N. Myrtle Beach. 3-A made a great showing at the Palmetto Cup. Check the final standings when they are posted. BC, Daniel, and Socastee played very well.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Greenville is better than Northwestern...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
God, I can't wait till the season is over and NW has the trophy. Then i do not have to read some of the **** on this board.

OLDREF actually commented on the final game and NW, and wasn't even present!? Good job there...

And as it might not seem apparent to some, BC really got away with alot to keep them in this tourney. There wasn't one person I ran into that did not state something along the lines of a 12 man during that game, so say what you want... A win is a win.

I did expect more out of Daniel, but I do doubt the fact that Greenville is any better than NW.

Also, Everyone talks about NW and a weak schedule... At least there are some teams that are ranked. Greenville has Cream-puffs all year long.
Riverside will be their only true test this year.

And I don't think anyone thoughht NW couldn't or wouldn't dominate without Arroyo this year, I feel the thoughts are on the results if they had him eligible...

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
OldRef...I was on the skeptical side all season long. However you cannot deny a 10-1 trouncing of a good team with equal rest. At least it says the team is very deep if they can play to that level. Give them a break they are #1 and should be there.

However you look at it the only way things usually pans out are based on matchups within the game. NW had the best, enough said.

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
God I love tournaments. The players, fans and atmosphere is just great. Of all of the tournaments that I have been to over the past many years (Club and School), the Palmetto Cup is consistently one of my favorites. The quality of play, quality of fan and quality of organization is just tremendous. Once again, I would like to take an opportunity to publically thank Kevin, Kyle and the many volunteers and sponsors that make this possible every year. I believe that many (especially many of the young men) do not fully appreciate what a great opportunity it is to have this tournament available, or the amount of effort that goes into the tournament organization each year.

One note on the play and results at the tournament (primarily addressed to allstate-status) - NW is our concensus #1. Other than a few fans blinded by their own team loyalty (and I do not believe that OldRef is one of them), I do not believe and have not heard anyone state otherwise. Relax and don't be so defensive. Part of the fun is speculating on future matches and anyone that speculates that NW can be beat is not taking anything away from NW. In the end, all of our collective speculation is meaningless - its decided on the field and NW has certainly earned its status.

We have a few good weeks of school soccer left and then its time to crank up Club. God help me, I do love this.

B
throw in
throw in
B
quote:
Originally posted by allstate-status:
God, I can't wait till the season is over and NW has the trophy. Then i do not have to read some of the **** on this board.

OLDREF actually commented on the final game and NW, and wasn't even present!? Good job there...

And as it might not seem apparent to some, BC really got away with alot to keep them in this tourney. There wasn't one person I ran into that did not state something along the lines of a 12 man during that game, so say what you want... A win is a win.

I did expect more out of Daniel, but I do doubt the fact that Greenville is any better than NW.

Also, Everyone talks about NW and a weak schedule... At least there are some teams that are ranked. Greenville has Cream-puffs all year long.
Riverside will be their only true test this year.

And I don't think anyone thoughht NW couldn't or wouldn't dominate without Arroyo this year, I feel the thoughts are on the results if they had him eligible...

Let me first state that your team is very, very good. You deserve to be ranked number #1 in any sleection seen. Let me also say that I was a spectator at the BC game and if you guys were running away with the game like you so proclaim, why didn't you sub the 9 people at a time that you had been doing the whole tournament? Give BC some credit, they knew they'd be outmanned. They knew they didn't have the players you do but they executed a game plan almost to perfection.A few plays here and there and you might not be in that final you won 10-1. No one is hating on NW but these people from HH who obviously just recieved the internet and are addicted to it to the point where they can't show up on time to their scheduled tournament games.

On another note I hope that you aren't NW's goalkeeper. If you are please stop talking because "allstate status" shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as you.

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
I believe I was quite clear. NW should be ranked Number 1. They proved it on the field. I'm just saying 10-1 doesn't mean they are a lock to win it all. Favored? By all means. They are a great soccer team. Are they 10-1 better than the rest of the competition? I doubt it.

B
throw in
throw in
B
i don't think they're better than the s. aiken team from last year in terms of overall soccer ability. I think Jamaal and Goose give SA that edge. NW would be my lock this year but anyone can beat anybody on any given day i suppose

T
kick off
kick off
T
I do have to give props to BC. They did have a good strategy. All they did was pack it into their defensive half and then try to clear the ball long to a forward. They didn't realy create any scoring chances directly from the plan though. Their best chances came from long throw-ins (pretty much the only time they got into NW's box).

Goal
Goal
Trojan10, if you are Cropp you sir played outstanding in the semi-final as well as the final

T
kick off
kick off
T
No,I am not him. I am a former player but he did play very well both games. His last name is spelled Kropp, just so you know.

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Clayton -

Stop with the mis-information. Noone from Hilton Head is "hating on NW". In fact, if you go to the thread dedicated to discussing NW, you will see that noone from Hilton Head even chimed in (except OldRef once, to defend Summerville). If there is some bashing of NW going on, its not coming from our area. Everyone down here had NW as #1 even before the Palmetto Cup and will carry them as #1 until they lose (if ever).

On the other hand, you took a nice shot at Hilton Head for no apperant reason. Hey, the boys showed up at each match before the whistle blew and won three out of four matches. Would they have beat Farragut if they were at the field an hour or two earlier? I'm not going to take credit from Farragut and blame the lose on lack of timeliness.

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
yeah your right they didn't complain here but look at a summerville thread. different story

throw in
throw in
its already been said multiple times that northwestern's players are not allowed to post here. allstate is a former player. and taylor crawford is a good keep. he gets distracted sometimes but he is a teenager and we can't all be perfect can we?

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
who all scored the ten goals in the final?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And I keep forgetting who the hell I am anyway...!?

hat-trick
hat-trick
Taylor Crawford is not a good keep

Enzo scored 3, Ryan Kropp (my vote for player of the year) scored 3, andrew philips, mitchell gullick each scored one and I have no clue who scored the other two.

22 Offline
throw in
throw in
what number is Ryan Kropp...

Brace
Brace
#10, great player! great team player!

goal
goal
I concur. Doctor?

Yes, #10 was definately the man, should be tourny MVP. Enzo, a freshman??? Wow, those two did a job this weekend! Congrats, and good luck!

goal
goal
NORTHWESTERN IS THE REAL GOOD $%^%^&* TEAM!! I'M GOING TO START CALLING FINOTTI THE MOSES OF HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER!!! EVERYTHING HE TOUCHES TURNS GOLD!!

T
kick off
kick off
T
As stated I have stated before, Northwestern would have been this good without Finotti.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
To all,

There is a lot of interest in Northwestern at this particular time.

First let me congratulate Kevin and Kyle Heise and all the support staff for a wonderful tournament. It was very well run and what a classy touch that the final was held on such a magnificent pitch.

Secondly, Northwestern players are respectfully requested not to post on this message board. I have no information to believe that they do. The Northwestern soccer program cannot, and does not wish to, control other person’s opinions and posts.

Thirdly, Coach Finotti did not turn down a chance to play Northwestern because no offer was made. Coach Finotti and I are very close friends and communicate regularly. It was a common sense decision to not schedule the match. I don’t think anybody could have foreseen the almost identical success of both teams. My best wishes to Coach Finotti and his Greenville team for the remainder of the season.

Lastly, I am very proud of my players and the way they have performed all season. For those that wanted to know the stats for the Palmetto Cup final they are listed below:

GAME #19 – 4/15/06 – NHS ranked #1 in AAAA
Palmetto Cup - Finals
Vs Farragut, TN ranked #5 in Tennessee AAA @ USC Stone Stadium

Score: NHS 10 – FHS 1
Shots: NHS 29 – FHS 7
Corners: NHS 7 – FHS 2
Saves: NHS 5 – BCHS 10
Taylor Crawford – 5
Goals:
Ryan Kropp – 3 (8,9&10)
Enzo Martinez – 3 (24,25&26)
Vance Benson – 1 (17)
Mitchell Gullick – 1 (7)
Drew Lehman – 1 (6)
Andrew Phillips – 1 (20)
Assists
Ryan Kropp – 4 (28,29,30&31)
Michael Antinoro – 2 (9&10)
Andrew Phillips – 2 (12&13)
Alex Galloway – 1 (5)
Enzo Martinez – 1(16)
Alex Stull – 1 (2)
Record: NHS 18-1 Overall; Region 8-0

Sincerely,

Dominic Wren

Head Boys Soccer Coach, Northwestern High School

T
kick off
kick off
T
Thanks for clearing that up for me Dom. I didn't really beleive it anyway. I probably should never have even posted it. My b.

corner kick
corner kick
Samuel...I believe that you should call him Midas...not Moses

22 Offline
throw in
throw in
when we played NW I was particularly impressed with number 7...who is that

J
world cup
world cup
J
Drew Lehman

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who was the kid who took all of nw's free kicks?

T
kick off
kick off
T
ben brannan

goal
goal
THAT KID BRANNAN IS GOOD!!! NICE COMPOSURE!!! I AGREE BC GAVE THEM THE ONLY TEST THEY'VE HAD THIS SEASON!!

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I would not say the only test. They lost to Dreher in pks and beat Dorman 3-2. So what does it mean? nothing,it is all a question of matching up in the game.

coach
OP Offline
coach
The only way to hang with NW is to challenge every ball and NW possession, as BC did. If you give them any room at all, you are dead. The only thing NW needs to work on is its fans. Still screaming for more goals when they were up 7-0 and constantly screaming at Farragut players by criticizing them by their specific numbers. But of course, the fans can never be controlled.

goal
goal
NO KNOCK ON DREHER BUT THAT WAS THE FIRST GAME OF A PRE-SEASON TOURNAMENT AND NORTHWESTERN HASN'T LOOKED BACK SINCE.

N
bench
bench
N
quote:
Originally posted by 2004striker:
The only way to hang with NW is to challenge every ball and NW possession, as BC did. If you give them any room at all, you are dead. The only thing NW needs to work on is its fans. Still screaming for more goals when they were up 7-0 and constantly screaming at Farragut players by criticizing them by their specific numbers. But of course, the fans can never be controlled.

That is just a pretty way of saying play "kick ball". BC put 10 men in the box everytime and cleared to the corners. Apparently that's the best way to keep games close with NW. I'll try not to mention the refs(although I just did)who "helped" BC with there 2 goals. And NW's fans should be the least of your worries. I think they are a little bit angry that noone wants to give there kids any respect.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's the pot calling the kettle black. I mean coming from a team that "kicks the ball or you" . Yes BC did play behind the ball......I bet the "Head Coach" form Faragut is wishing he had done the same!!!

ps. the gk for nw batted the ball in the goal and lets not talk over reacting to fouls too.

Disclaimer: NW is VERY good and they play an attractive brand of soccer but it is as direct as I have seen. Kropp and Co do a great job of holding up the ball. But all 8,20,11 and 13 do is bang the ball up top and it goes from there. 8 a lot better than the rest from the left side. Kropp is as a complete forward that I have seen in years. I mean that guy does it all.

Goal
Goal
wow how about be glad that your team is that good and shut your mouth. A team like that comes around once in a few years. If you're not one of them (which your coach made so abundantly clear you are not) why are you even talking? You personally didn't put in the time and effort it took in club to get the way NW is. I'd like to call you a few choice words but I'd probably get banned so I'll just stick to the customary "jerk".

goal
goal
Your a good team NW but get off your "high horse"!!! Be on a "high horse" whenever you win state which you have not done yet!!!

T
kick off
kick off
T
yes, NW plays directly. The difference is that NW plays directly to their forwards who then hold onto the ball and wait for the rest of the team to catch up so they can attack as a unit. BC seamed like they were hoping for a forward to turn and beat a defender and take it to goal. They rarely held onto the ball and waited for the defense to catch up to them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are correct. But......

That might be the best way to attack NW. To me their Center Backs and GK were their weak spots.

coach
OP Offline
coach
This is not an excuse for Farragut, but you could tell in the first 5 mins that they were tired. They did have a more challenging group and a difficult semi. Even if they were fresh, it still would have been a 3 or 4 goal loss, the way NE was clicking on Sat. I would like to see HH and NW in state final. HH is just as talented offensively, and their defenses are about the same.

brace
brace
The playoffs will be very interesting this year...

22 Offline
throw in
throw in
Registered Member
Member # 4381

Member Rated:
posted April 18, 2006 09:42 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO KNOCK ON DREHER BUT THAT WAS THE FIRST GAME OF A PRE-SEASON TOURNAMENT AND NORTHWESTERN HASN'T LOOKED BACK SINCE.

--------------------
"A SHARK ATE ME" "YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL

did NW not try to win that game...did they not play their game and lose...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No I think they threw it. Just to say they hadn't lost since the first game of the season.

Here is my question: Did Dreher have more shots? Did Dreher have the play?

But it really doesn't matter you won, BUT I will go out on a limb and say the NW would beat Dreher 4-1 if they played right now, ESP if DHS played them straight up.

X
x Offline
goal kick
goal kick
X
Northwestern is the greatest team of all time. They have the best fans, play the most attracive brand of soccer, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Can we move on now. This is absurd. They have not won 1 state championship in their existance yet feel as if they must be annointed demigod status. Irmo, and I can't believe I am defending them, with the success they have had over the years, have shown twenty times more class than the posters on this board. The NW coach said enough was enough. Don't ya get it?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NAS,

Don't you get it. Dreher is the best team of all time. They beat NW so that makes them the best team ever.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How can u people say HH is just the same offense and defense as NW when HH has lost to Summerville and Farragut two teams which NW crashed 5-0 against sumerville and 10-1 Farragut and i believe the goal count for NW is 151 with 12 allowed while HH has scored 67 and allowed 27 but i geuss i can see where your comin from 2004striker NOT

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WHOA NAS!!! I said AN attractive brand . Don't put words in my mouth.

If only spoton could read the board now.....for years he predicted Dreher would rule SC Soccer. Well the time has come! Well put Keyser!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Nothing against Dreher just brought up old times.

Oh yeah Nas, Johnny Blaze says whats up!

coach
OP Offline
coach
We shall see if HH and NW make the finals. That would be a very good game, as long as HH has all their players.

X
x Offline
goal kick
goal kick
X
Sorry Shearer. My bust.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NW has the best fans out of the state. Anyonme who has ever played us in the playoffs can defend my comment. Yes some of the parents scream alot of crap out to the refs, but every team has those parents. the last 3 seasons NW has had over 2500 people at each of the last 2 playoff games. They have been number 1 in attendence in the state. My hats off to NW fans. As for the Nick Finotti subject. He has very close friends in Rock Hill and he knew that the Revolution from Discoveries soccer club was going to be at Northwestern. He knew what he was taking over. Yes he did a great job and he was my favorite coach. It wasnt like he was taking over a crap school with no tallent. Congrats to Vance, Enzo, Phil, and Baby Kropp. Great tournament!!! As for the there only loss on the season. I recall Northwestern had over 20 more shots on goal. to the Northwestern Players who read this everyday... Dont get cocky... You still have one more trophy to bring home as well as that ring, me and the boys never got. Goodluck !!!

goal
goal
Well Said!!

T
kick off
kick off
T
dido

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
NHS Grad 05
What is the congrats to Vance, Enzo, Phil, and Kropp for? And why was Nick your favorite coach?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Vance was named player of the tournament and the other boys were on the all tournament team! As for Nick being my favorite coach. Me and Nick just had a good relationship together. He is a winner and he will do whatever it takes to win. He got the boys fired up like no one ive ever been around. He made us believe we were the best and that nobody could beat us. And we believed! that is why we have beaten some teams that were far more talented, but we stuck together and whooped some *&%. For example the 1st time we played Irmo in the state championship. They were the far better team. But we took them to Pks. He is a great coach and like i said before, i was lucky enough to play for him. Now dont get me wrong all this crap about being Moses and everything he touches is Gold. Is not right. He new we were about to be good. His best friends lives in Rock Hill.. Lou Pantousco. Our former coach before Nick was not very good. He just got us over the hump that we were not able to, do to our previous coach. Dom Wren is just as qualified as Nick and is just as good of a coach. They coaching styles are very similar. Dom new that people were going to question him this season as well as the team, and i think the Palmeto Cup Final was the perfect time to show everyone that NW is for real. Other people on this message board were saying that NM might not be for real and they havent played anybody, so this was the chance to show everyone how good they are. Lets just say there is no more doubts... Everyone is finally saying NW is #1 and everyone else from 2 to 8 is a toss up. Thats why he ran up the score. the proof of people doubting NW is still on this message board if you dont believe me. Now there is no Questions. I know you asked about Nick, but ive been meaning to get that off my chest. Thanks for your question if you have anymore please ask.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
That is what I figured the congrats was for but they hadn't posted an All Tourney team yet so I wasn't sure. Congrats to Vance especially, that kid can play. I disagree that everything Nick touches turns to gold because he inherited a good team in NW and a very talented team in Greenville but don't get me wrong, he is a top notch coach. I just can't see how people would love him as a coach when he makes you practice at 6 in the morning on school days like he has been doing with Greenville this year. But when you put that aspect aside he is probably a fun and entertaining coach.

World Cup
World Cup
quote:
but they hadn't posted an All Tourney team yet so I wasn't sure.
The 2006 Palmetto Cup All-Tournament Team is being updated as we receive the submissions from the head coach.

2006 Palmetto Cup Wrap-Up

22 Offline
throw in
throw in
Dreher 2, NW 1 (PK 4-3)
Shots: D 11, NW 16
GK Saves: D 9, NW 6
Back Saves: D 2, NW 1
Corners: D2, NW 4
Goals: 42:35 - Alex Galloway (NW)
54:25 - Sean Baier (D)
PK - John McClam (D)
PKS: NW - #8(+), #11(s), #20(+), #18(+), #10 (post), #15 (s)
D - Quinatoa(s), Rushe(+), Anderson(missed), Baier(+), Thunell(+), McClam(+)

last post on the subject...I think the stats show relatively equal play..slight edge to NW...and yes, NW is probably the better team but they aren't invincible...and whoever makes it through the lowerstate will not get blown out by them

T
kick off
kick off
T
yeah, nick use to make us practice at 6 in the morning too. It just made us beleive that we were working harder than anyone else and that we deserved a championship more than anyone else. It was just as much of a practice as it was a way of mental preparation.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Discoveries Revolution? what had any of the discoveries teams done that had players that played for Finotti at NHS? The DSC team that most of these guys played on this year and last was not very good. But I guess DSC should get the credit uh?

How many 20 win seasons did NHS have before Finotti showed up? State Championship appearances? So you mean to tell me that NHS would have accomplished what they did without Finotti? Give me a break. People wake up, this was not a state powerhouse before Finotti arrived in 03. There must still be some bitter people in Rock Hill that he left.

If some of you guys did play for Coach Finotti, dont you think thats how he should be addressed?

F
bench
bench
F
No one said that..chill. What he meant was the Finotti didn't just take over a crap team, he knew he would have quality players, and the '03 and '04 teams would still be quailty. Ross Hovis, Jamie Brannan, Wes Clark, Lee Black, Kyle Neely, Matt Carlisle, Vance Benson, Ryan Kropp, a very talented class of '06 that was coming through during his last year....the list goes on and on, I failed to mention numerous names of quality players that Coach Finotti knew would be there. Of course Finotti had a huge impact on the team, no one is denying that. I highly doubt anyone is bitter from what Finotti has done with the Northwestern program.

T
kick off
kick off
T
Finotti is a great coach first off. But as i have said in the past, NW was already on the rise before Finotti got there. He even told our team that we would have been at the same level, had he not been there.

goal
goal
WOW LOC DOG YOU MUST BE FINOTTI'S GIRLFRIEND OR SOMETHING!!!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard