Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3734 03/17/02 06:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer has been played for over 100 years, yet still they change rules or interpretation of rules every year.

My personal "UNFAVORITE" is the defender shielding the ball out of play to get a goal kick. The normal outcome is the attacker slidetackles the defender and one of them gets kicked or landed on. I would love to see that rules changed and the defender penalized for obstruction.

Any other rules people think should be changed ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So are you saying that if the ball was going out of bounds on the sideline by team A and one of team B's players was not touching it but letting it safely get out of bounds and a team A player slides to save the ball and hits the team B player, the team B player should be penalized as well? just wondering your opinion on this situation...

J
world cup
world cup
J
No dude..I think hes saying it should be a penalty for a defender to shield the ball at all. I can see a few problems with your idea man. #1 whos to say the offender is being obstructed. The defender may not have touched the ball yet but it is obviously under his control. So technically he isn't obstructing the offender hes choosing not to make a play on the ball. Maybe its just cause i'm a defender but think about what would happen if that rule was changed. I'm sure whatever team you play on you have defenders right? #2 How would they work effectively near the touch? No matter how good you are its hard to turn a ball up when your that deep in your zone (plus it would also be too dangerous). I think shielding is a very important strategy for defenders. Thats just what I think though.

I don't think anyother rules should be changed but I think we could talk for days about how messed up Offsides calls are in high school soccer. Wether they are called or aren't called.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the defenders should be under pressure to play the ball and potentially get into trouble. Result - more offense. Same for both teams of course.

Incidentally, another thing is the size of the goals. When the 24 foot wide was drawn up, most players were a lot smaller than they are today. I think more goals is better.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Smack!! Let me go crazy on this!! More goals is better? Bigger goals?? How about WIDER GOAL POSTS so we can have more field goals?, How about BIGGER BASKETBALL HOOPS so we can have higher scores...what about ice hockey...how can we get higher scores there??? You think it's about the score??? It's about the skill it takes to make the score! SO WHAT we have some bigger kids taking interest in soccer...raise your standard of play to deal with it!! Have the Internationals changed the rules on this?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MBsocfan is exactly right, raise your standards of play, dont change the size of the goal to get more goals, thats gay. Also, if the defender is shielding the ball he is obviously in better position, so i would say he has possession, if he has possession he has every right the shield the ball, i do this on offense a lot of times until i have a clear pass, thats not obstruction if he's at the ball first and has enough time to position himself to shield the ball, ITS LEGAL;)

Brace
Brace
As a goalkeeper, I think they should bring back allowing the GK to receive a throw in with his hands. All it takes to defend this is one player on the other team close to the GK. If the throwing team has people in good support, then there should be someone close anyways. On throw-ins deep in the defensive third, where this would come into play, the throwing teams usually winds upreleiving pressure by simply whacking the ball up the field. Also, I think it is a great stategical weapon late in games when you are leading. The other team must be aware of any throw in going all the way back to the keeper. The GK could then take it with his feet and pick it up when ever anyone comes near. The other team would always have one man to keep an eye on the keeper- keep that player pushed up. This forces the other team to drop at least one man. This opens up the middle and attacking thirds while placing the other team in good position for a counter attack.

Brace
Brace
By the way, I like the rule that says that GKs cannot pick up intentional pass backs from their teammates.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Deleted by Kyle Heise due to poor taste and language.

Jay Orders, I don't mind if you disagree with certain rules, but please clean up the language.

Next time you will be banned!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
first get rid of the excessive celebration rule. dont punish kids for getting excited over a great goal unless they are in the other team's face rubbing it in. also refs should not be so sensitive to criticism. They make many mistakes that significantly affect a game. if a kid gets mad and says something or tries to ask a ref about a call that should be allowed. as long as he doesnt personally attack the ref, the ref should either ignore the kid or talk to him about the call. i say this as a ref myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard