OP Offline
bench
S
are they really that good?

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
nw is better and prob Norman North but nothing against greenville there a very strong team

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I think Norman North would beat them and if they played NW it would be an exciting game. But no they shouldn't be number one in the nation.

S
bench
bench
S
the national ranking is based solely on record and as of now greenville has only lost once

T
kick off
kick off
T
nw has only lost once also and that was in pk's. Thought I'd throw that out there for people who don't already know.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Greenville is better than Northwestern. Too bad they don't play in the playoffs.

N
bench
bench
N
quote:
Originally posted by Brock Scott:
Greenville is better than Northwestern. Too bad they don't play in the playoffs.

It is too bad. I'm guessing you weren't at the Palmetto Cup for the finals?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
10-1 in the finals of the palmetto cup against a Tennessee team whos got an exceptionally good record and dominates the teams in their bracket... Yea def thinkin Northwestern is the better team between them and greenville, but thats just my opinion. If only they could play each other, then NW would really prove it to anyone who still has doubt about them. Tell me the last team to have that good of a result in the finals of one of the best tournaments in the state.

J
Brace
Brace
J
I think the bigger question is:

Did NW go into the finals more/better rested than the other team? I heard that The team from Tenn had a couple of OT games and had to play their starters longer than NW did. Maybe an easier bracket had something to do with that. Tournaments usually don't have the best teams win in the end, the draw in soccer has a lot to do with it. With that many games in a short amount of time, the teams that may come from tough round robin play may have it tougher in the long run from the lack of time to rest. I am sure NW is good, but maybe on a day where both teams were rested the score would have been much closer/or maybe a different outcome would have happened.... jmo though.

World Cup
World Cup
quote:
I think the bigger question is:

Did NW go into the finals more/better rested than the other team? I heard that The team from Tenn had a couple of OT games and had to play their starters longer than NW did. Maybe an easier bracket had something to do with that. Tournaments usually don't have the best teams win in the end, the draw in soccer has a lot to do with it. With that many games in a short amount of time, the teams that may come from tough round robin play may have it tougher in the long run from the lack of time to rest. I am sure NW is good, but maybe on a day where both teams were rested the score would have been much closer/or maybe a different outcome would have happened.... jmo though.

FARRAGUT
4/12 vs. Spring Valley, 4 pm (3-2 W)
4/13 vs. Riverside, 1 pm (3-1 W)
4/14 vs. Wando, 10:45 am (1-1 T)
4/15 vs. Hilton Head, 9:30 am (3-2 ot W)

NORTHWESTERN
4/12 vs. Summerville, 2 pm (5-0 W)
4/13 vs. Socastee, 10 am (4-2 W)
4/14 vs. Daniel, 5:45 pm (4-0 W)
4/15 vs. Brookland-Cayce, 9:30 am (3-2 W)

brace
brace
Both Gville and NW are very good teams, but in my opinion you cannot blast NW for a weak schedule and not blast Gville. Overall I'll take NW's schedule on difficulty over Gville.

With that being said, neither one has won squat yet. Gville has to get by a tough upstate playoff bracket to get to the finals and then face the lowerstate champ. For NW, I don't care how many goals they scored yesterday, the playoffs will be difficult and let's not forget that this is soccer, not baseball. One bad game and you're done.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
how can anyone put down Greenville? both teams have lost one game in pks. they both score goals against good teams. Greenville has 16 shutouts on the season and given up 2 goals through the run of play. I would have to argue that both of them are the two best in the state, I dont think anyone can say that one is better than the other.

On another note, there are some people who have shown some disrespect on this board that is not warranted.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is a lower state AAAA fan backuing a AAA Upperstate team????

Discuss

B
bench
bench
B
if anything you would think that faragut should have been the more rested team due to the fact that they played at 10:45 on friday and then had all day with out a game until 9:30 saturday. NW played at 5:45 friday, drove back to rock hill that night and then woke up and were in columbia to play at 9:30.

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
I don't know how u can say farragut dominated their bracket they won by 1 against sv tied wando and won by 2 against riverside. Domination is beating every team by 3-4. They didn't even win every game. No domination there

S
kick off
kick off
S
yea lookatmeimatree definitely gets a 10 on the 'right' scale...farragut far from dominated, in fact, it would be more accurate to say they squeezed into the playoffs-they only won their bracket by 1 point! I think mr. "scoremore" needs to think more...

H
throw in
throw in
H
Yea but compare the level of difficulty farragut had to get through compared to that of North Western. So of course they are not going to be able to dominate.

S
kick off
kick off
S
yea thats part of the point I was arguing

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Im just proud we have two teams such as Greenville and Northwestern in our state that both get national recognition for their great play.

goal
goal
????Was Northwestern really number one in the nation last year????

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Not to be overly pessimistic but....
Those national rankings are only for schools playing in the spring AND only for teams whose coaches are members of the NCSAA AND from what I understand, the coach has to recommend (for lack of better word) their team for ranking.

I agree G'vegas and NW are good teams, but it is rather humorous to read in the HS section that a SC is #1 in the nation but read in the other sections how SC may not be up to par with the rest of the country.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Yeah, Northwestern was number one in the nation last year until they lost to Eastside in the Northwestern Spring Tourney.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think you have to be a NSCAA member for your team to be ranked, I think you have to be a memeber for your player to win an award such as NSCAA All South or All American etc.

goal
goal
cabj12 I completely disagree with you about NW, state yes, southwest region maybe, NATION no way...Not any SC team

goal
goal
i mean south east region^^^^^^

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
I know several soccer loaded states play in the fall but how far fetched would it be for a SC team to play some top teams from fall season teams?

World Cup
World Cup
quote:
Not to be overly pessimistic but....
Those national rankings are only for schools playing in the spring AND only for teams whose coaches are members of the NCSAA AND from what I understand, the coach has to recommend (for lack of better word) their team for ranking.

I agree G'vegas and NW are good teams, but it is rather humorous to read in the HS section that a SC is #1 in the nation but read in the other sections how SC may not be up to par with the rest of the country.

14 states play boys high school soccer in the spring -- Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Georgia, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming.

Only NSCAA members can vote in this poll, but it includes all teams regardless of whether that particular team's coach is a member of the NSCAA or not. Typically what happens is that after the rankings are compiled at the state level, then the "top five" teams are submitted to Kevin Denson, who chairs the Region I (SC-TN-VA). For more information, check out the FAQs .

T
kick off
kick off
T
If Farrugut had to play their starters longer that is their own fault. Northwestern can afford to sub more players because they have the depth to do. This ultimately makes them a better TEAM, because they have subs that can come in and compete at the same level as their starters, or very close to it.

T
kick off
kick off
T
i also heard a RUMOR that nw wanted to schedule a game with greenville but finotti didn't want to do it. Not sure if this is true or not, just a rumor that i heard from a former player.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
I stand corrected. But I do know that in 1999, Riverside finished in the top 20 while JL Mann did not. Mann won the AAA State Championship that year and beat Riverside several times.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
To all,

There is a lot of interest in Northwestern at this particular time.

First let me congratulate Kevin and Kyle Heise and all the support staff for a wonderful tournament. It was very well run and what a classy touch that the final was held on such a magnificent pitch.

Secondly, Northwestern players are respectfully requested not to post on this message board. I have no information to believe that they do. The Northwestern soccer program cannot, and does not wish to, control other person’s opinions and posts.

Thirdly, Coach Finotti did not turn down a chance to play Northwestern because no offer was made. Coach Finotti and I are very close friends and communicate regularly. It was a common sense decision to not schedule the match. I don’t think anybody could have foreseen the almost identical success of both teams. My best wishes to Coach Finotti and his Greenville team for the remainder of the season.

Lastly, I am very proud of my players and the way they have performed all season. For those that wanted to know the stats for the Palmetto Cup final they are listed below:

GAME #19 – 4/15/06 – NHS ranked #1 in AAAA
Palmetto Cup - Finals
Vs Farragut, TN ranked #5 in Tennessee AAA @ USC Stone Stadium

Score: NHS 10 – FHS 1
Shots: NHS 29 – FHS 7
Corners: NHS 7 – FHS 2
Saves: NHS 5 – BCHS 10
Taylor Crawford – 5
Goals:
Ryan Kropp – 3 (8,9&10)
Enzo Martinez – 3 (24,25&26)
Vance Benson – 1 (17)
Mitchell Gullick – 1 (7)
Drew Lehman – 1 (6)
Andrew Phillips – 1 (20)
Assists
Ryan Kropp – 4 (28,29,30&31)
Michael Antinoro – 2 (9&10)
Andrew Phillips – 2 (12&13)
Alex Galloway – 1 (5)
Enzo Martinez – 1(16)
Alex Stull – 1 (2)
Record: NHS 18-1 Overall; Region 8-0

Sincerely,

Dominic Wren

Head Boys Soccer Coach, Northwestern High School.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
WDIM, I believe they were ranked number one last year. If you look at the national rankings topic then you will see

Hurst66
Registered Member
Member # 2945

posted April 11, 2006 01:52 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He did it with Northwestern, now he did it with Greenville.

Unbelievable....two years in a row. Strong.

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

which means he put NW at number 1 last year.

T
kick off
kick off
T
I think both teams are good and probably the best two teams in the state, but, have you looked at the strength of schedule for Greenville. I think that it is pretty much a fluff schedule. Just my opinion.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
last week it was northwestern and they proved everyone wrong. so now we have to move over to greenville adn claim that they have a weak schedule. unbelievable

J
world cup
world cup
J
Seriously.. by definition..every south carolina varsity boy's soccer team has some fluff..you can poke holes in any schedule.

I'm stoked that both got a mention..who cares about all this other crap?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congradulatons to Nick Finotti and Greenvile High School on being ranked #1 in the Nation. The second year in a row for coach Finotti is unbelieable let alone with two different teams, im just thankful i got to play on one of them! Yes it would be good to see them play against each other, but that will not happen. at least not this year. Good luck to G-Ville in the playoffs and i hope to see you soon coach!

goal
goal
I would like to see these rankings put in with the other states that play in the fall semester to see where SC soccer really stands.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Greenville is better. Both teams played Eastside and Greenville won 4-1 while Northwestern won 3-1.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Northwestern also played Summerville and the score was 5-0 G-ville played them and won by 2 goals i believe? So...

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I was just kidding with my statement there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh sry bout that then!

bench
bench
Well good comparisons but Greenville Eastside game was the same week that Northwestern played eastside. Greenville played summerville in preseason tourney and Northwester just played them. Both teams are excellent and it is hard to compare teams through other team. Best of luck to both teams throughout season.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
I'm really out of this debate. But for someone who may be on Northwestern or G-Ville...how many CESA players does each team have?

I
bench
bench
I
i used to play high school soccer in north carolina in which teams play in the fall... and there is no way you can talk about a north western or a greenville being on top of the nation.. the level of competition is so much greater in other states.. north carolina being one, Apex and North meck were def powerhouses in the country whose players are made up of some of the premier club teams in the country, such as CASL Elite and Charlotte soccer club ..not to mention last years Athens Drive team who were absolutely sick with 7 or 8 starters playing on the CASL Elite team... texas being another state with players coming from another top club in the country, Solar.. they also play their high school in the fall... and the schools go up to 8 and 9 A classes, there is no way these south carolina teams could compete with this level of play... Not to take anything away from NW or G'Ville, but there would be no chance for them against an 8A texas powerhouse.. last time i checked.. texas and NC were in this nation.. making this national ranking of g'vill being the top team complete krap... wait till after the season when the fall soccer states get their votes in for national rankings... greenville will be lucky to be in the top 15

A
bench
bench
A
You are dead on with your evaluation of South Carolina high school teams. They are good in their own right, but they do not compare with many team in surrounding states from NC, Georgia, Virginia, etc., not to mention the Texas, Florida, NJ, PA, CA and the list goes on and on. There are also very few states that play in the Spring, so it is very difficut to compare teams to eac other on the national level. If you take a team like Thomas Dale from Virginia, they have 6 players that have signed Div. I scholarships this year. There are years in South Carolina where there are not that many players in the entire state. So SC has some very good teams in their own world, but are not a big factor in the overall picture.

22 Offline
throw in
throw in
well hmm guys...lets think about this south carolina 26th in the nation in population...of course they are not gonna have better players simply because they have less peeople...NW is from Rock Hill...a tiny city compared to charolette or others...

I
bench
bench
I
22 that is probably the best reason of all that there is no reason for them to be considered one of the top teams in the country... maybe the best for its city population, but not the entire nation.. and thats what the national ranking is... big cities doing big things.. Raleigh, Charlotte, Ft. Worth, Birmingham, Richmond, Sacremento.. elite soccer cities.. Bottem Line

goal
goal
AGREED

22 Offline
throw in
throw in
I agree they cannot be compared...thats what I was trying to say...

hat-trick
hat-trick
Well...this is all true. But, these rankings are national rankings for states that play in the spring only. There are seperate rankings for teams that play in the fall, and in those, south carolina teams aren't considered, because they don't play in the fall. However, I dissagree with VA. the ocean lakes team that came down here got handled, and they ended up in the 4a state semi in va if i heard correctly.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
quote:
I'm really out of this debate. But for someone who may be on Northwestern or G-Ville...how many CESA players does each team have?

Greenville has about 12 from CESA although 6 are about B team players.
But Northwestern has about three in Vance, Kropp, and Clinton. Not to mention they have Enzo and many kids that could probably play B-team for CESA

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Then again Eastside has about 12 CESA players all on the A team and Riverside has 12 CESA players of which maybe 6 are on the A-team. So I believe your point doesnt justify which team is better Brock.

T
kick off
kick off
T
NW has always had players that could play at higher levels in club. Many of them choose to stay with Discoveries though because of a loyalty factor and because practices are not as far away.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
cabj12...i'm only going to respond with this:

"Where exactly did I make a point? in my statement?"

You said my point doesnt justify which team is better. Now I ask you, where did I try to make a point?

I believe I asked a question. Now, it's quite evident that you made an inference about what I meant by that question. When in fact, I did not have a hidden meaning behind that question; I figured this thread was a good time to ask it, so I asked it.

You should not infer what goes on in my posts when all that was asked was a question. That's not how these things work.

Patience is a virtue.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Enzo would not be on a "b" team are you nuts.

hat-trick
hat-trick
He was saying that they have Enzo....and kids that could probably play b team. Enzo has led the premier league in scoring for 2 straight years with the Discoveries team.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
quote:

Maybe you forgot you posted this at the beginning of the thread Brock. But then again people change their minds even after making so one-sided statements. So I being the smart person I am put two and two together to realize you were saying that whichever team has more CESA players is better.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
No, sir I am not nuts. I said "not to mention" to emphasize that they also had a star player in Enzo even though he doesn't play for CESA like Vance, Kropp, and Clinton do.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Cabj. That's not what I meant. My question looked like it was typed. "I am put two and two together"...that's called making inferences, and that's what I said you shouldn't have done with my posts b/c that's not what my intention was directed towards. I basically just wanted to know how many CESA players Greenville had on their roster? Are we clear now man? Sorry to cause confusion for ya. I simply wanted to know the #'s, it's as clear-cut as that. But if you get a kick out of doing whatever your doing, then i say go for it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GHS v. RHS will be a great match on monday

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard