Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
90 Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
This is a great battle between two upstate teams. I think the common opinion is that NW will win again but, does anyone see an upset this week?

I'm not sure if I do, I'm going to call NW 3-1.

What does everyone else think???

goal
goal
I always pull for FM in this game but unfortunatly i am not seeing FM win.

NW:2
FM:0

Come on prove me wrong....

world cup
world cup
I see the same score. NW 2, FM 0.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NW-3
FM-0

S
kick off
kick off
S
NW-2
FM-1 (PKS)

Brace
Brace
You've got my vote SuperStar! Just would like to see it go into PK's. Really just want it to be a good game and FM show up for 80 minutes. FM has capability to make it a very competitive, entertaining game. Also hope BenP is right and they meet in Upper State finals!

T
kick off
kick off
T
This should be a good game but I have to give the advantage to NW because of the home field advantage. NW's field is way bigger than Fort Mill's and that will definetly work in their favor.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
5-1

R
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
R
NW will win, no doubt!

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Any words on this game....

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
one of my friends just called and sad Fort Mill was up in the ast half????

goal
goal
"the AST half"??!!

LOL, yeah I know, but it looked funny!

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
The game was postponed until tom.

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
why was it postponed???

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
rain

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Final FM 1 - NW 0

goal
goal
Ummm are you serious??? any conformation on this?

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Yes, positive

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
positive, or positively bsing? give some more.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
FM wins 1-0, FM goalie was injured (ribs/ stomach). I mean i do not have the newspaper write up or anything like that.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Nick Schuermann header, off of a corner, Winning goal

O
bench
bench
O
Dang, good for Fort Mill, they deserve that win. Man, Northwestern is an unstoppable force... haha. Whoever said smaller named teams could beat them were exactly right.

B
bench
bench
B
ok now how bout a breakdown of nw

S
bench
bench
S
is this for real or is someone pulling a pretty good prank?...if its real i believe that northwestern and fort mill will be tied for first in there region...might effect northwesterns chances of playing at home during playoffs...too bad tonight wasnt first round and fort mill knocks them off and gives some other teams a chance at the title

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
.........????????

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
We might have a leg puller out there?

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
YES it is for real, I only know because my family was there, and a phone call travels pretty fast.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
FM scored on a corner kick, Nick Schuermann headed the corner into the goal.

C
kick off
kick off
C
ha ha ha ha

C
kick off
kick off
C
does this mean that fm could possible be number one and play aiken?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's real. Joe and I both have relatives on the FM girls' team. The girls all went to watch the game, and they're spreading the word...FM wins!

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Thank you, this is like trying to convince the world that Barry Bonds didn't use steriods.

O
goal kick
goal kick
O
No one else has posted score or confirmed, so we doubt. No disrespect intended.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
haha i know, its just funny.

T
throw in
throw in
T
Now people can stop thinking that Northwestern is Barcelona or some team in that nature and that they can in fact be beaten

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1-0 FM over NW

FM wanted the game and NW played with little control, organization and seemed to be a second off the pace.

I think it was a bad night for Senior night because it also took away the coaches time to talk to the team prior to the start of the second half.

I've seen 3 complete games by NW, 2 they played very poor in and lost one tonite, and the other was the 10-1 win over Farrgut.

Now it depends WHAT NW team shows up... because they certainly can play with anyone.

It could be a good thing for NW players though. Might being more focus and realism to their season and help them as they continue their quest for a state cup.

I do not think you will see them play this poor again...

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
I was going to comment on that, I don't know if i would want to be in Northwestern's path through the playoffs, especially after their wakeup call.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Now we know now at least their beatable

F
bench
bench
F
Fort Mill played a great game. Plain and simple, NW just didn't show up to play. Fort Mill had 1 maybe 2 chances I believe, and capitalized on their corner. Northwestern had many balls in the box, corners, ect...they just didn't work hard enough. It was a great game to watch, I would love to see a rematch during upperstate championship.

Mark Dimaggio(sp?) got the wind knocked out of him I believe, he came out of his box while Andrew Phillips was chasing after a through ball, and they both collided. Nothing intentional. I know Mark was throwing up on the field, I believe he got a knee to the stomach. Phillips recieved a yellow card.

B
bench
bench
B
no bias at all here but the referees really seemed to be on FM's side, just an observation

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Yeah i told Bob i would buy him, and his crew, a round of drinks after the game, as long as they helped FM [Wink] win. NW should know that in order to have a home field advantage, you need to get refs, from rock hill, not FM.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
simply sarcasm, i wasn't there to judge, so i can't.

Brace
Brace
NW showed up but so did FM. FM beat them at their own game by playing hard for 80 minutes. The refs were def not in FM's favor. The FM goalie was taken out by Andrew Philips and should have been an automatic red card, not a yellow. The FM goalie had to be taken to the hospital. The goal was scored off a direct kick by Jonathan Cote headed in by Nick Schuermann.

90 Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
Seems to me that whenever someone says that, the team wins. Rarely do you every see a team winning despite horrible referees.

NOTICE that I said it doesn't happen OFTEN, I'm not saying it doesn't happen.

I don't think that is a fair remark to Fort Mill. They win the game of the night and they can't get the full credit for it.

It will be interesting to see how the rankings will turn out. I don't think anyone is a clear cut #1 right now.

kick off
kick off
excuses, excuses, excuses, Why does NW is so unstoppable?

kick off
kick off
correction, excuses, excuses, excuses, Why does everyone NW is so unstoppable? It was a well played game by both teams

goal
goal
Funny how when NW loses you dont hear a single thing from them on the message boards.

i thought this could happen.

Northwestern is a good team but they have on and off days...Last year York was up on them 3-2 until the last 10 mins when NW netted 3 goals. Just goes to show you they have off days like everyone.

CONGRATS FM!!!

goal
goal
Any word on FM's goalies condition?

O
kick off
kick off
O
So does anyone know the seedings for fort mill and NW for playoffs. Has it changed at all.

goal
goal
my guess would be that NW still gets top seed due to the goal differential.

F
bench
bench
F
For the record, Andrew Phillips didn't just "take him out". It was unintentional. Try sprinting as fast as that kid can sprint against your rival's keeper who came out of his own box...tackling a keeper out there there is perfectly legal and is normally an easy and perfectly legit way to creat a goalscoring opportunity. It doesn't even matter, because it was obvious that Phillips wasn't even going for the keeper, he tried to get out of the way. Dimaggio ran smack into him. Definitely would never be worth a straight red, and a yellow isn't even really that understandable. Probably just a free kick for the keeper's team.

J
world cup
world cup
J
If Region 3 is like most other regions.. NW still gets the #1 seed. 3-1 aggregate goal differential in NW's favor.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad loss for NW. While it is a GREAT win for FM..and if they meet in the Upperstate Final..it should be one for the ages.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Please correct me if i'm wrong,(I don't know the rule for this) but isn't a card the norm for running into a goalie? Depending on where "out there" is it isn't perfectly legit. And he obviously ran into him hard enough to send him to the hospital, like you said, goal scoring opportunity, was he really thinking about avoiding contact, or was andrew thinking about scoring? and the plot thickens haha

bench
bench
Mentally, who do you think benefits more from FM's win tonight? NW - because they will work harder and not take the road to the State Championship for granted? Or everyone else - because they have renewed hope that the giant can be slain?

F
bench
bench
F
he would get a card if he was inside the box. The keeper was outside the box, therefore it would be like takling a field player. Andrew tried to jump out of the way from what it looked like, but they both basically just ran straight into eachother. In my opinion it was mutual. A yellow card is understandable.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Gotcha, which box, because i thought as long as the goalie was within, "the big box" haha he couldn't be touched

Brace
Brace
futbol05, you better watch the replay on tape. Mark has possession of the ball, thus, if out of box, handling on Mark. Andrew came into him with knee up and foot off the ground.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
or should i say, was he going to pick the ball up, or was he trying to play it with his feet.

J
world cup
world cup
J
If you run into someone hard enough that they're puking on the sideline..and have to go to the hospital.. You either did it maliciously..and it's going to be an obvious red. Or you didn't have enough time to get out of the way ..and BAM!

Of course..I wasn't there. But all you have to say is that the keeper was outside the 18.. red card? ..no sir.

As for motivation..

It may help everyone else mentally..but NW still has the talent to run the table. And I think this loss should refresh that goal for the Trojans.

I still think they make it to State.. but it won't be a cakewalk.

goal
goal
UPPER STATE REMATCH?

F
kick off
kick off
F
Goalie Mark DiMaggio has a Grade 1 laceration to his liver caused by the "collision". We wish him a speedy recovery.

world cup
world cup
That's very serious. Thoughts and prayers are with Mark and the DiMaggio family. He was very courageous last night and has been all season.

L
throw in
throw in
L
so where's scskeeper? i haven't seen a post from him in a while............hmmmm

world cup
world cup
Mark DiMaggio is out for the rest of the season.

Here's a game story from today's Rock Hill Herald:

http://www.buzzfans.com/sports/story/5699108p-5106213c.html

throw in
throw in
thanks a lot lampshade for stealing what i was going to say. but for real why hasn't he said anything yet. i thought NW was unbeatable, GUESS NOT.

T
kick off
kick off
T
First off, Congratulations Fort Mill. I heard y'all played harder and wanted it more. Secondly, I highly doubt Andrew intentionally hurt someone that he knows. He is not that kind of kid and that is not NW's style of play. If Dom thought it was intentional I doubt he'd still be playing. Also, i think everyone doubting NW's capability is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. They lost one regular season game, to a RIVAL. Obviously a bunch of people have lost some respect for NW. All i can say is watch out b/c they are looking to earn it back. Again, good win Fort Mill, NW has not excuses, and i wish a speedy recovery to Mark.

J
Brace
Brace
J
Um, they (NW) lost two regualr season games....the preseason tournament counts on their record. We could go down that road and say that if preseason games don't count...that Irmo only lost one game to an out of state team. All the games decided by PKs would only be ties. All teams are vunerable, all teams can lose. The post season should be fun to watch this year. Good luck to all teams!

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
How did NW fall to #2 in the region? the brackets are out and have FM #1....

Anyone know the tie break procedure? split the season and then what?

brace
brace
Each region has their own tie breakers and I have never seen them published.

If what you say is true it REALLY changes the landscape of 4A upper state.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Look at at this link an click on the 4A link SC HS soccer coaches threads

A
bench
bench
A
I understand NW will be seeded #2 in the Region. What possible criteria is there to make that happen. Whatever tie breakers they are using are not reasonable. I read where NW has a 99-1 goals for and goals against. Assuming their record is the same as FM in head to head competetion (among teams in or out of region) they would still have them on any type of goal difference tie breaker. Could someone please find what and where this tiebreaker is. If it isfact it should be changed.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Region record tied
Head to head tied
Goals against in region NW - 1 , FM - 6
Goals for in region NW - 99 , FM - 55
Overall record NW 21-2 (91.3%), FM 19-3 (90.5%)

There is no way that FM is #1 in the region....

HURST what are the procedures?????!!!!

T
kick off
kick off
T
Sorry, I was talking about regular season, not preseason. Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that it is stupid to suddenly think less of NW because they lost to Fort Mill. Fort Mill is very talented and as I said before, it is a rival. That is always going to be a factor. I could see if people started doubting them if they lost to an unranked team. However, they lost to a very good team, so I don't understand all of the doubting.

world cup
world cup
I heard the tiebreaker was strength of schedule, not counting tournament games. I don't know how this is calculated but FM apparently pulled it out by a point. The irony is that NW pushed back the FM game from Wed to Thur. NW was scheduled to play Boiling Springs on Thur and apparently that game was cancelled.

If NW would have played BS would it have improved their strength of schedule? I have no idea.

FM did themselves a great favor by beating NW (just as Dorman girls did by beating Mauldin). FM will now host their first two matches (assuming they win their first game) and are in the same side of the bracket with South Aiken (no easy task). But....it's probably a better route than the other side of the bracket which has Lexington and Dorman in it (and obviously Northwestern).

Either way, it is going to be very tough for FM. Mark DiMaggio means a lot to the team which has relied heavily on its defense all year. Time for the offense to start rolling.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
So the discussion we had earlier in the year came back to haunt NW. And if it is true that they filled it with teams that would play them (Darlington, clover, etc.) then they can only blame themselves.

Although I have to say that strenngth of schedule is very subjective way to decide a tie.

Do you know the step by step for Region III?

world cup
world cup
I have no idea how this process works. I got it third-hand and I told you all I know. Apparently they were very close to flipping a coin.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
WOW!!!! changes everything.....

congrats to FM for getting the job done.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to comment on: "The FM goalie was taken out by Andrew Philips and should have been an automatic red card, not a yellow. The FM goalie had to be taken to the hospital. The goal was scored off a direct kick by Jonathan Cote headed in by Nick Schuermann."

The keep was outside the box and trying to handle the ball. Its a free ball at that point and could have been a hand ball call on the keep.

Phillips in now way shape or form made an intentional hit on the keep.

Give it a rest.

F
kick off
kick off
F
quote:
Originally posted by BigGayBoy:
I would like to comment on: "The FM goalie was taken out by Andrew Philips and should have been an automatic red card, not a yellow. The FM goalie had to be taken to the hospital. The goal was scored off a direct kick by Jonathan Cote headed in by Nick Schuermann."

The keep was outside the box and trying to handle the ball. Its a free ball at that point and could have been a hand ball call on the keep.

Phillips in now way shape or form made an intentional hit on the keep.

Give it a rest.

The Fort Mill Goalie never attempted to use his hands to touch the ball on this particular play. That has never been an issue. Just wanted to clarify that before we "give it a rest." Unlucky things just happen. Too bad it was just so serious.

B
kick off
kick off
B
Let me first clarify that I am not supporting one team over another. Now if in fact, the region tiebreaker is strength of schedule that is quite possibly the worst way to decide a region. Strength of schedule does not show how good a team is. Any team can lose to a good team. An example from college football: Temple played (and lost) one of the hardest schedules in the country. Their strength of schedule would be up near the top and tougher than say Texas, but no one is arguing that Temple is a better team. Granted this scenario is not the same because Texas won all of their games and Temple lost all of theirs, but the principle is the same. Playing better teams does not mean you are a better team. Not to mention that this tiebreaker means that some teams already have an advantage going into the season than others because the schedule is set. Not to mention the inherent error in the system. If Fort Mill did win the region by 1 game (assuming the system uses merely win/loss records from the teams played in the regular season), this means the difference in the seeding was because Northwestern has a better win/loss record than Fort Mill. By switching the records, there would be a win/loss difference of +/- 4 wins and +/- 2 losses (because they played twice). This penalizes Northwestern for beating teams out of conference. By using this tiebreaker system, the region sends out the message that it is better to lose all of your non-conference games (thus boosting SOS) and win your region games.
Having the tiebreaker that is SOS of the teams defeated would be a better system because it gives more merit to the win/loss records. The best system would be for these two teams to meet on the field for a one game, region title determining championship. I know that scheduling and finding referees would be difficult, but the thought is nice. Anyway, these are two great teams, and I hope they meet again in the play-offs.

G
kick off
kick off
G
well if you both have the same record, but one team plays harder teams to get that record...then they might just be better.

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Also I believe that region tie breaking systems are determined by the coaches in that region. So it not the fact of anyone trying to hide from another game its just the way the rule is. No one is at fault here and from the looks of things theres nothing stopping either of these teams from meating up again in upper state.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Well, FM lost to Daniel, HH, and NW. I don't really view those as slouches, but I understand where you are coming from about a poor tie breaking system.

The good teams all play bad teams in college football, at the beginning to get geared up for the better ones. Thats why temple had such a tough schedule, so Virginia, Miami, Wisconsin, etc. could beat the crap out of them. You know beating someone 65-0 sure would get my football team ready for the season also.

The better analogy would be that like Clemson, Virginia, and Wisconsin, NW chose to play weaker teams. While it gives you that much needed rest after tough games, it can also hurt them in the long run. I understand what you are saying though, Temple was just a funny analogy.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Another reason there isn't a tie breaking game, is because, there may not be a team left healthy enough for the playoffs. FM's goalie already ended up in the hospital with a lacerated liver, I mean seriously, poor kid, could you imagine these teams having to play again, three refs wouldn't be the answer, SWAT may do the job, I don't know. Four days before the playoffs start, you have to be realistic, but i think flipping a coin would have been the better of the two alternatives.

goal
goal
If you think that game was voilent....WAIT UNTIL THESE TWO MEET AGAIN IN UPPER STATE...

brace
brace
Big Kudos to FM for the win, but overall I don't believe they are as strong as NW, and not having their starting keeper will make it a tough road for them. If things go as planned, the winner of the SA/Mauldin game (probably SA)will be a very tough team to beat.

T
kick off
kick off
T
Apparently, since the FM/NW game got postponed, the Boiling Springs game was going to get pushed back to Friday. Then Boiling Springs did not see any point in rescheduling so NW lost out on a game. From what I have heard, this is why FM got the region, b/c they have played more teams. Not sure if this is 100% accurate but just something I heard. Feel free to correct me if anyone has heard anything different.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
WDIM -
Thats what i'm saying, and you could only imagine if these two had to have a playoff game to see who wins the region, and then possible again in upperstate, PURE CARNAGE.

Trojan -
Thats basically correct from what Hurst stated earlier.

goal
goal
anonymousjoe -
All I know is if they do meet in UPPER state I will not miss that game, and suggest nobody does.

goal
goal
That was a great game Thursday night. Congrats to FM. NHS played flat and FM played great. They seemed to have wanted it more and capitalized on one of their few chances. I wish the best for Mark. If they do play again in the Upperstate Championship, it will be one you do not want to miss!

Again, Congrats to FM!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard