Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
bench
bench
A
I understand NW will be seeded #2 in the Region. What possible criteria is there to make that happen. Whatever tie breakers they are using are not reasonable. I read where NW has a 99-1 goals for and goals against. Assuming their record is the same as FM in head to head competetion (among teams in or out of region) they would still have them on any type of goal difference tie breaker. Could someone please find what and where this tiebreaker is. If it isfact it should be changed.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Region record tied
Head to head tied
Goals against in region NW - 1 , FM - 6
Goals for in region NW - 99 , FM - 55
Overall record NW 21-2 (91.3%), FM 19-3 (90.5%)

There is no way that FM is #1 in the region....

HURST what are the procedures?????!!!!

T
kick off
kick off
T
Sorry, I was talking about regular season, not preseason. Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that it is stupid to suddenly think less of NW because they lost to Fort Mill. Fort Mill is very talented and as I said before, it is a rival. That is always going to be a factor. I could see if people started doubting them if they lost to an unranked team. However, they lost to a very good team, so I don't understand all of the doubting.

world cup
world cup
I heard the tiebreaker was strength of schedule, not counting tournament games. I don't know how this is calculated but FM apparently pulled it out by a point. The irony is that NW pushed back the FM game from Wed to Thur. NW was scheduled to play Boiling Springs on Thur and apparently that game was cancelled.

If NW would have played BS would it have improved their strength of schedule? I have no idea.

FM did themselves a great favor by beating NW (just as Dorman girls did by beating Mauldin). FM will now host their first two matches (assuming they win their first game) and are in the same side of the bracket with South Aiken (no easy task). But....it's probably a better route than the other side of the bracket which has Lexington and Dorman in it (and obviously Northwestern).

Either way, it is going to be very tough for FM. Mark DiMaggio means a lot to the team which has relied heavily on its defense all year. Time for the offense to start rolling.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
So the discussion we had earlier in the year came back to haunt NW. And if it is true that they filled it with teams that would play them (Darlington, clover, etc.) then they can only blame themselves.

Although I have to say that strenngth of schedule is very subjective way to decide a tie.

Do you know the step by step for Region III?

world cup
world cup
I have no idea how this process works. I got it third-hand and I told you all I know. Apparently they were very close to flipping a coin.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
WOW!!!! changes everything.....

congrats to FM for getting the job done.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to comment on: "The FM goalie was taken out by Andrew Philips and should have been an automatic red card, not a yellow. The FM goalie had to be taken to the hospital. The goal was scored off a direct kick by Jonathan Cote headed in by Nick Schuermann."

The keep was outside the box and trying to handle the ball. Its a free ball at that point and could have been a hand ball call on the keep.

Phillips in now way shape or form made an intentional hit on the keep.

Give it a rest.

F
kick off
kick off
F
quote:
Originally posted by BigGayBoy:
I would like to comment on: "The FM goalie was taken out by Andrew Philips and should have been an automatic red card, not a yellow. The FM goalie had to be taken to the hospital. The goal was scored off a direct kick by Jonathan Cote headed in by Nick Schuermann."

The keep was outside the box and trying to handle the ball. Its a free ball at that point and could have been a hand ball call on the keep.

Phillips in now way shape or form made an intentional hit on the keep.

Give it a rest.

The Fort Mill Goalie never attempted to use his hands to touch the ball on this particular play. That has never been an issue. Just wanted to clarify that before we "give it a rest." Unlucky things just happen. Too bad it was just so serious.

B
kick off
kick off
B
Let me first clarify that I am not supporting one team over another. Now if in fact, the region tiebreaker is strength of schedule that is quite possibly the worst way to decide a region. Strength of schedule does not show how good a team is. Any team can lose to a good team. An example from college football: Temple played (and lost) one of the hardest schedules in the country. Their strength of schedule would be up near the top and tougher than say Texas, but no one is arguing that Temple is a better team. Granted this scenario is not the same because Texas won all of their games and Temple lost all of theirs, but the principle is the same. Playing better teams does not mean you are a better team. Not to mention that this tiebreaker means that some teams already have an advantage going into the season than others because the schedule is set. Not to mention the inherent error in the system. If Fort Mill did win the region by 1 game (assuming the system uses merely win/loss records from the teams played in the regular season), this means the difference in the seeding was because Northwestern has a better win/loss record than Fort Mill. By switching the records, there would be a win/loss difference of +/- 4 wins and +/- 2 losses (because they played twice). This penalizes Northwestern for beating teams out of conference. By using this tiebreaker system, the region sends out the message that it is better to lose all of your non-conference games (thus boosting SOS) and win your region games.
Having the tiebreaker that is SOS of the teams defeated would be a better system because it gives more merit to the win/loss records. The best system would be for these two teams to meet on the field for a one game, region title determining championship. I know that scheduling and finding referees would be difficult, but the thought is nice. Anyway, these are two great teams, and I hope they meet again in the play-offs.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard