Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3865 02/24/02 05:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah he was just making a generalization.

#3866 02/24/02 06:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know that refs try to determine a game, but it doesn't always work( ain't that right refs in the salkahatchie tournament?) they must have been trying to get the results they wanted. Edisto's last two games where called terribly. I guess the refs felt bad for the other teams. In the second game a call was made that the edisto keeper held his elbow out, which was a very questionable call that at most should have recieved a warning, but the keeper was given a yellow card and sent off the field with a penalty kick given to wade hampton, the keeper was not allowed back on until the next sub so Edisto's Kurtis Evans was put in goal he made a great save to keep Wade Hampton scoreless. Later in the game one of WH's forwards ran into an edisto defender and was given a penalty kick, which this time was stopped by the starting keeper. Refs couldn't win this game so they tried again in the Championship game giving Williston Elko a penalty kick in a 2-1 game in which an Edisto defender tackled the ball away not even touching the WE player but of course he made the dramatic fall and was awarded the PK which in the end sent the game into PK's. Refs lost again. overall most of the games in the tournament were called horribly as reported by other teams. There has to be some way to prevent these calls. I understand 1 or 2 bad calls but when it happens as often as it did there is no excuse.

#3867 03/06/02 05:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok players, coaches and refs, what calls are refs consistently getting wrong, and how can we use this board as a forum for better understanding of the game. Be specific.

Case in point: player A1 is attacking the goal of Team B and is in the penalty box in a 1v1 against B1. B1 then obstructs A1 so that his shot is wide. Ref blows the whistle and makes what call?

I'll post the correct answer later, but let's see how many know this one first. My point is better refs begin by better understanding the rules and spirit of the game.

#3868 03/06/02 05:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That all depends on how he was obstructed, if he was hit from behind or given a hip check or somethin, it should be a PK, if the defender got around him, and made a legal slide tackle getting ALL ball, it should be a corner or goal kick depending who had the last touch on it.

#3869 03/06/02 05:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also, i noticed someone said that its the players who control the pace and physicality of the game.
I DONT believe this is true. Its the refs who can keep that all under control. Take the LR/Crestwood game. The refs WERE NOT calling any calls against the physical part of the game, and the players are gonna play as physical as they can as long as they aren't getting penalized for it. Ive heard from several coaches growing up, PLAY AS PHYSICAL AS THE OFFICIALS WILL ALLOW. Because the refs were allowing us (LR/C-wood)to play so rough, BOTH sides continued to get more physical. I feel if the refs began calling the fouls at the BEGINNING and not the END of the game, it would not have turned out so agressive and made what is now a STRONG RIVALRY.

#3870 03/05/02 06:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK Joe- That EXACT situation happened in our game on Thurs night against Boiling Springs. The official called it an indirect free kick, on which they scored. Now according the answer you will post later, was he right? If he wasn't what can be done? I'll post the answer to this later.... no wait I'll answer it now- If his call was incorrect, the outcome/score of the game was changed and absolutely NOTHING can be done about it.
If he was right, the outcome/score of the game is still the same- no big deal.
I think what people are saying here is that the officals do control and change the game. Always with a result that is favorable to one team. That is inevitable. A referee can call the best and worst game of his career at the same time. It all depends on who you are pulling for! As a coach all you can ask is that they are consistent.

#3871 03/05/02 08:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i believe the refs do attempt to do the best job they can. and they do have a tough responsibility in having to look over 22 players, coaches, fans, ect. but another problem is, there arent that many good refs working in the high school league. alot of the guys working these games are not always the best refs. i suggest they go to the 3 man system with a center ref and 2 linesmen. but that would require more money than schools and districts feel they should spend on soccer. which is a shame. that would ease up the amount of responsibility a little. but i feel the biggest problems right now with officiating right now is over responsibility for refs, which most of them arent experienced or skilled enough to handle.

#3872 03/06/02 02:11 PM
Brace
Brace
I believe that 99% of all refs do their very best and are impartial, but then there are the ones like i had at Turkey Day. It was not a call or a questionable decision that he made. It was a statement. Our player fouled the opposing teams player but it should have been advantage. The other coach was mad, and he had a case. The ref yelled back from about 40 yards away, "your players decided not to play advantage."

I can live with blown calls or refs not seeing everything, they are human, but this example if the type of lack of knowledge that i cannot take. Not knowing when exactly to call advantage is fine but to completely ignore the rule is a problem.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard