Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3855 02/22/02 01:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What do you think about them. Do they really control the game.

#3856 02/22/02 04:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a coach and a first year ref I can honestly say
I appreciate what refs do on the field much more. It is extremely difficult to see everything on the field, especially when 2 people are watching 22 players, plus coaches, benches, fans, etc. Just as a player will not get every pass, shot, tackle, etc. right, neither will a ref get every call right. They do the best that they can, and we should accept their decisions however fallible they might be, and respect their calls. Before you begin to question a ref's call, ask yourself how you would feel if everytime you took a bad shot a ref said: "hey can't you take a better shot than that? Don't you know how to kick the ball without shanking it? etc., etc." Remembering that we are all human helps us realize we can and will make mistakes as players, coaches, and refs. Learning from those mistakes is what matters most.

And forget not the immortal words:
good teams overcome bad calls.

#3857 02/23/02 03:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I totally agree with Joe. They are just as imperfect as us. And his quote "Good teams overcome bad calls" is so true. Because any team can just say "Oh we lost because the refs were giving bad calls". But if a team does not dwell and worry over those bad calls they can work on more important stuff such as teamwork and improving as better competitors of soccer players. But I know it is human to make judgments because I have made many but just try to hold them inside or say it to yourself softly so as not to increase your chances at getting carded. Nice entry Joe.

#3858 02/23/02 03:45 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
I agree with Joe too..but i think the refs determine more the pace of the game than anything. Its true that a good team will over come bad calls..but no matter what the refs are going to set the standard for the style of game. I believe that the refs decide how much contact will be allowed..stuff like that. Players can still win a game with refs calling tons of penalties.

#3859 02/23/02 03:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I coached club soccer for several years. I always thought that the referees set the tone for the game. The "let them play" officials were the most problem (in my opinion) but those that that see fouls on every challenge disrupt the games nearly as badly. There are many excellent referees in SC and we should make it a point to thank them after every game.

Some of the best officiated games that I have seen have involved my team getting its head kicked in by a superior team. Referees seldom cause the outcome of a game to change. Missed shots frequently change the outcome.

In club soccer referees frequently know the home players by name and know their playing styles from having called many of their games over the season. I believe that this can give the home players an unintentional advantage. Do any others have thoughts about this?

#3860 02/23/02 03:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well what i was trying to say is that i think they need three refs on the field rather than two. one for each side and a middle ref. I think every thing would be seen then. It would help a lot on off sides.

#3861 02/24/02 05:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a former ref, I was told (and believe) that the players determine the level of play and amount of contact. I tried to to maintain the flow of the game and ensure the safety of the players. At the pregame instruction, I told the players and my assistants what I would and more importantly would not allow. Example, two men standing together with arms by sides going up for a header SOME contact allowed; one guy taking a five yard run then coming over the top of a stationary man and "accidently" hitting head with forearm = red card.

Two quick comments: 1. With a two man system, you will NEVER be in position. The players are too fast and can change the position of the ball much faster than you can run. 2. Don't forget that the refs have "played" every minute of the game and probably just did the JV game before. Even people in great condition will slow down towards the end of the game.

#3862 02/23/02 07:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think that w/ every sport, there are bad calls and good calls. Keep your cool and play the game. Crying like a girl won't help at all.

#3863 02/24/02 03:32 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
Who are you talkin' to?....I don't think anybody is crying...we're just having a convo...you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

#3864 02/24/02 05:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wasn't implying that anyone was crying. Don't take everything so personally. I'm just saying that in the heat of the game, it is hard to shake off bad calls, but it's just as much a part of the game as passing and shooting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard