Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#39487 05/03/06 04:07 AM
S
kick off
kick off
S
can anyone tell me the time of the northwestern game tonight?

#39488 05/02/06 05:09 PM
C
Goal
Goal
C
7:00pm at Northwestern

#39489 05/02/06 06:48 PM
MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
quote:
Originally posted by benp:
I'm going to join the Ben Lippen crowd and put in my two cents on the PG PP game. I don't think that rivalry is on the same level as the BL CN rivalry, and therefore I'm saying PP 3-0. Hammond is going to be fired up to play at Ben Lippen, and I expect them to give Ben Lippen their best.

Interesting matchups coming in 3a with MB Chapin, and BC Socastee.

Have you ever attended a PG-PW sporting event? I am sure that once you have, your unbased assertion on the magnitude of their rivalry will change.

#39490 05/02/06 08:58 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Well, my assumption wasn't based on attendance, it was based on results, I think its been 4 or 5 years since a ben lippen cardinal newman game was decided by more than one goal, and let me assure you, during that time span, both ben lippen and cardinal newman have been more than 1 goal better than the other team. It's not as much of a rivalry in other sports, but the soccer game at Cardinal Newman is pretty much ben lippens most looked forward to sporting event of the year, and no matter what, both teams play like its the end of the world.

#39491 05/02/06 09:00 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
And I didn't say the rivalry doesn't exist, just that it doesn't seem to be on the same level. This year, 4-0, last year, 5-1, and the year before that, i'm sure it was big.

#39492 05/03/06 01:54 AM
MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
I never implied your assumption was based on attendance, so I don't know where you got that from. Rivalries have alot to do with game atmosphere and are not necessarily based on results, although close results always intensify things (To correct you though, "last year, 5-1" never happened. It was 3-1 first game and then 3-2 in double overtime).

I can also provide some proof that despite results, the PG-PW rivalry is just as intense as ever. PG-PW basketball games this season are perfect proof (PG went 0-5 against PW), and no matter what previous soccer results are, the PW game is always PG's most looked forward to game. In fact, this year's game was Senior Night for PG. This rivalry feeds off of other sports and gains its own intensity not only from results but from tensions, atmospheres, and emotions that are firmly rooted no matter what the results are.

I know nothing about the BL-CN rivalry and as such, I will not make statements comparing that rivalry to any other. I was merely trying to point out that perhaps witnessing a PG-PW game might make your opinion more credible because you made a risky assumption (based, as you said, entirely on results, which are not always reliable indicators) in saying that "pg-pw isn't on the same level as cn-bl."

#39493 05/03/06 01:59 AM
corner kick
corner kick
well since BL is god awful at Football and basketball(0-15 in region or something between the two) we pretty much rely on soccer and baseball.....and our dominate cross country team

#39494 05/03/06 02:47 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Sorry, last year they met 3 times, and one of those games was 3-1. All I said was that it isn't on the same level, not that it doesn't exist, and I have attended a basketball game, it was crazy, I was talking about soccer alone, Taylor's post sums up why ben lippen doesn't really have rivalries in other sports. Its like Dreher BC and Airport BC. Although Airport and Dreher are both rivals of BC's, during soccer, its the Dreher game that gets the hype, because they always play 'em close, whereas the airport game is merely one of those you have to play, and BC DOESN"T lose to Airport in soccer.

#39495 05/03/06 03:16 AM
MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
Yes although even saying that it isn't on the same level is puzzling to me as you are relying completely on results and not experience or spectating. I'm pretty sure the game isn't one PW players "have to play" because every game is tense and unpredictable.

Anyways, it's not really important just that PG-PW shouldn't be counted out as one of the great soccer rivalries even though it is a relatively young one. The infamous PG-BL state championship matchup of 2003 was also one to remember and I hope someday (maybe in the near future) we will meet again.

#39496 05/03/06 03:47 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
OK. I just got done talking to a spectator from todays game, a player at Wilson Hall, who told me that there weren't a whole lot of people there, and they weren't very loud, mainly just parents, and that after the first half, the game wasn't even that exciting.
BL Cardinal Newman game: around 20-30 Ben Lippen students tailgated before the game, and then got there for kickoff, plus the many that didn't, and all the parents. Throwin the many cardinal newman spectators in the small Cardinal Newman field area along with the barrel drums, and the plastic horns, and just the wildest of fans. Then, you take into account the intesnsity of this close game, and the excitement that came after each goal (players running into the stands, and all the self control in the world to keep the bench from running completely onto the field. Now you have a rivalry atmosphere. From what I've heard, along with the results of the PP PG game, it is a rivalry, but its just a game, and PP comes out on top nearly every time for the past 4 years. This is the first time Ben Lippen has EVER beaten Cardinal Newman twice, and you would have to go back to 2000 (if my memory serves me correctly) to find the last time Cardinal Newman beat Ben Lippen more than once in a year (2-1). I think that the point was, people were saying that the game would be close because its a rivalry game, and in an atmosphere like BL CN, yes, that is the case. The atmosphere just isn't at the PP PG game, and the results, and the recaps I've been told show it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard