Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#39497 05/03/06 04:12 AM
MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
Apparently you have completely misjudged my original point. You said that the PW-PG rivalry was not on the same level as BL. This statement, at the time of its giving, was completely unqualified, as you had never attended a PG-PW matchup and were basing your assumption completely on results and second-hand information. These qualifications for an opinion were, in my mind, relatively weak, and I felt that I should throw in my perspective, as a player who has played good matchups against PW for four years (and although PW has come out on top most often, that doesn't mean the games are boring or not exciting). Let me make it absolutely clear that nowhere did I make any statement comparing BL-CN and PG-PP; I prefer to actually have materials and experiences to back up my assertions.

I am delighted that there was such a great atmosphere at the most recent CN-BL game, and now I know a little bit more about their rivalry. I am a bit confused as to why you are out to prove CN-BL is bigger than PG-PW as my original comment was that perhaps witnessing a PG-PW game may change your thoughts on that specific rivalry, NOT your thoughts on which rivalry was bigger. I never intended to start a battle about which rivalry is bigger, for I simply do not care that much. I am sure, and you have provided ample proof in your last post, that BL-CN has a great atmosphere, but I can assure you that a second-hand recap of a game is nothing like being there. And, as a player, I can attest to the fact that there was a great, tense, and very exciting atmosphere at tonight's PG-PW game. Maybe BL-CN wins the prize for biggest rivalry; that, however, does not mean that "the atmosphere just isn't at the PP PG game." Each rivalry is different, each rivalry has its own unique characteristics. PG didn't tailgate for the PW game but made it a "Porter-Points" event (kind of a gay thing but basically reserved for the biggest games of each sport).

Until you strap on some boots and play actual soccer and work hard at it, don't tell me that "The atmosphere just isn't at the PP PG game." I've been playing against them for 4 years and have learned that you cannot measure the intensity of a rivalry from "the results, and the recaps [you've] been told." For the 3 PG seniors (and I'm sure the PW ones as well) the PG-PW rivalry is very strong, and the consistent fan support and schoolwide attention to these games testifies to this fact.

#39498 05/03/06 05:53 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
I think it is you my friend who is missing the point. You're obvious question
"why am is benp attacking the PP PG rivalry"
Answer:
first off, I'm not trying to discredit their rivalry.
People (mainly Ben Lippen people) were saying that PG would make this game close, because it is a rivalry game. My point was that PP and PG do not have the type of rivalry that BL and CN have had over the years, where despite differences in talent and current results, the game is ALWAYS close (I believe i stated this already, but they have split 4 years in a row, and this year ben lippen finally won 2, but one was a pk win. Also, the game has been decided by one goal for the past 5 years to my knowledge). PP and PG is a rivalry, and in other sports, they have a great atmosphere, and it affects the outcome (PP PG basketball game I went to was phenominal), but in Soccer, PP has been the dominate school since 2003, and will probably continue to dominate the region, and win the PG with ease.
My statement was simply to show why I didn't think the game would be as close as others, and obviously, my opinion was justified by the accounts I've heard, and the scores of the games.

However, because you are a PG player, and obviously completely offended, I will lighten my statement for you to this:

BL and CN have a great rivalry in which close games have been the story for as long as I can remember. PP and PG have an equally great rivalry, but close games are not a direct result of their competitions.

I hope this statement offends you less, and good luck vs. Wilson Hall, I'm sure you can keep THAT one close, but watch out for #11, he's probably the most talented player ya'll will have faced this year.

Also, as far as me strapping on boots. (I found this interesting) I was just talking to Cap'n Walt tonight, and it appears that before tonights game, I actually had the same amount of varsity caps as him, as I played in 5 games my sophmore year, including a start in the 3-2 win over TL Hanna, and substantial time in the Chapin and North Augusta games.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard