C
dreher all the way its that simple

M
kick off
kick off
M
quote:
Originally posted by Coastal Soccer Club:
Well, I unfortunately attended the Bishop England / Barnwell game tonight and it was one the worst displays of sportsmanship I have witnessed in youth sports.

The Bishops won the game 7-1.

The first half was relatively clean, with a few exceptions. Unfortunately, the starting Barnwell forward challenged the BE Keeper near the end of the half and suffered a broken ankle, I hope he recovers, By the way, it was a clean play. It was 1-0 at the half, BE winning.

In the second half, the game turned ugly. Many cautions were handed out and the BE Goalkeeper was ejected for punching a Barnwell player. Then, with approximately 15 minutes to go, a Barnwell player was fouled and retaliated, the BE player who fouled him took exception to the retaliation and began throwing punches and both teams cleared their respective benches. In the end, two more BE players were ejected and one Barnwell player. Each team should be considered lucky that more players were not ejected.

In the end, 3 BE players were ejected and 1 Barnwell player. The number of cautions handed out for cheap/rough play was to high to count.

This was not the most “Shinning Moment” for high school soccer in our state….

MY God. Were you at the game?? Really? You couldn't have been watching, because no way could you really think you saw the keeper (Ricciardone) throw a punch. He was ran into way late, and responded by bumping the kid with his chest. While it was a stupid play, it definitely didn't warrant a red card. I understand that you probably don't like BE, but lets not post a bunch of garbage on a game you clearly weren't watching.

As for the game itself...the turning point where the game went sour was after the Barnwell forward broke his ankle. Again, as it says everywhere else, it was a great, CLEAN, play by Callandra and unfortunate that the kid was hurt. He was their best player and the only one pressuring up top, and some of the kids on Barnwell took exception and kids on both teams started talking trash to eachother.

Now for the fight:
A Barnwell player was tackled cleanly at midfield by a small freshman from BE. He then grabbed the kid and dragged him to the ground. Anyone reading this who says they wouldn't defend himself is a liar. I should add that the kid from Barnwell was atleast 80 pounds bigger and probably 3 or 4 years older, and really had no right to be anywhere near a soccer field to begin with. Just because there was a rush of players to center field does not make it a brawl. There were no other punches thrown, no wrestling, no more than some pushing and shoving in the midst of a fight. IT WAS NOT A BRAWL.
The other BE red card was in the aftermath of a fight for use of profanity...pretty stupid, I know.

As for Coach Khouri's quote, as much as it may bother you, it is completely accurate. I was next to the field most of the game and all you had to do was watch and listen. Sure it wasn't all of Barnwell, but I'd say the majority of the team completely gave up on winning and resorted to getting in as many shots as they could.
If you think it was BE who incited the whole ordeal, think about this:
How many red cards has BE had all season? None? OK.
The referee for the game was hands down the worst I've ever seen. After the game is reviewed, I think there's a good chance Ricciardone's red card can be appealed, and expect to see the same BE team in Lower State (Wednesday night, AT BISHOP ENGLAND). That's about it.

N
kick off
kick off
N
It wouldn't be overturned if it is as you say because taunting is a straight red this year. I would imagine that anyone around would consider bumping another player with your chest would probably be taunting.

M
kick off
kick off
M
ok, I didn't know the rule changed. no red cards overturned, the rest of the statement i stand by.

N
bench
bench
N
http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=86048§ion=hisports

This is the link to the article about the BE/Barnwell game.

coach
coach
So, is BE under SCHSL consideration for suspension for rest of season?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Predictions -
4A
Upperstate - NW over Mauldin
Lowerstate - SV over Wando (I thought long and hard on this one and could probably go the other way)
3A
Upperstate - Daniel over Riverside
Lowerstate - Dreher over BC
2A
Upperstate - Emerald over Wallhalla
Lowesrtate - depends on outcome of red card fiasco.
1A
Upperstate - CC over Dixie
Lowerstate - Lincoln over AM

goal kick
goal kick
Mk#11,

I was watching the game, and what I saw was unconscionable.

I am not a Bishop England hater, as you have inferred. Both of my boys attended Catholic school and almost went to Bishop England, but the drive was too far.

With respect to the first altercation, the play was most definitely clean, as I stated. It was unfortunate that the Barnwell player broke his foot in the play and I sincerely hope the injury is not career ending and he recovers well.

With regard to the second altercation, the BE keeper took exception to the rough play on behalf of the Barnwell player. As a result, he made the “Wrong Decision” and while holding the ball, extended both arms into the body of the Barnwell player. Albeit the foul can be interpreted differently, the referee made the correct call, 1 Red / 1 Yellow.

As for the melee that ultimately tarnished the game of soccer. Let me say, that I have witnessed this in football, baseball, and hockey. But, I have never witnessed poor sportsmanship to this degree in soccer. Anyone who attempts to belittle the event should reevaluate their interpretation of the “Gentleman’s Game” of soccer. By the way, the foul to which I was referring to occurred minutes prior to the fight. I forget sometimes that some people cannot see beyond a single event and as such, I will try to explain it. The Barnwell player was taking the space and the BE midfielder fouled him to stop his advance. The mannerisms of the Barnwell player after that foul indicated to me that he would retaliate, “Wrong Decision”. In less than a minute, he got his chance and fouled the BE midfielder who was advancing and grabbed his shirt, pulled him down. This is when the BE player made the “Wrong Decision”. Instead of walking away, he decided that it would be better to kick and punch the other player. During the fight, the referees and coaches were so busy trying to break up both teams that many other incidents were missed.

In the end, it was a horrible event for both teams, both schools, and for South Carolina soccer. More importantly, I sincerely hope that the young people in attendance do not believe that this type of behavior is acceptable and I pray that their parents explain this to them and attempt to preserve the game.

Finally, the defining statement behind the South Carolina High School League is;

"An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules..."

If you are attending or have attended Bishop England, then you have the intelligence to realize how far-reaching this statement can be.

Good Luck to both Waccamaw and Bishop England in the Lower State Championship and let's get back to the game....

coach
coach
From the above post >
<Finally, the defining statement behind the South Carolina High School League is;
"An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules...">
So, therefore, BE should not be eligible to advance the the Lower State Championship, or be crowned?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard