Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Trisoc4 Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
T
In one of the best High School games that I have ever seen, Riverside went toe to toe with Greenville to win in PK's.

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
so much for 1 in the nation grats to riverside

goal
goal
I told Greenville once already that there was no way they were going to come to our house and beat us. Now way! We should have put it away sooner, but maybe this makes the win that much sweeter. Should be a good game against Daniel. Great season by GHS, but personally I was sick and tired of hearing about their "great team".

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
congrats to riverside, best of luck to them in the rest of the playoffs!!!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Sounds like you intimidated them. Well done.

A
kick off
kick off
A
sounds liek someones a lil full of the selfs up there and if u should of beat them in regulation why didnt yall? but congrats to winning

S
bench
bench
S
Greenville was still the better team and if they played 10 times greenville would win 9 of them

brace
brace
quote:
Originally posted by soccer0307:
Greenville was still the better team and if they played 10 times greenville would win 9 of them

Maybe, but that's soccer and that's life. The favorite doesn't always win.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
What made them the better team? Did they possess it more, more shots, or what?

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
soccer0307...you can't be serious. If you look at just this game alone there is no way you can believe that Greenville was the better team. All of the previous games don't mean a thing come playoff time. They haven't been scored on in months and Riverside scores more goals on them in one game then have been scored on them all year. Their defense finally got tested for 110 minutes and they came up a little short. Do you think Greenville was practicing PK's preparing for Riverside...probably not.

Greenville was a great team and they should be very proud of their accomplishments but they certainly weren't the better team on Saturday night and come playoff time...that is all that matters.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Playoffs isn't always about the most talented team. Riverside is no way as talented as Greenville. Not even close. But its about who plays better on the night. Riverside must have played better.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Well I don't think you can say which team was better but that both were evenly matched on Saturday. I mean after playing 110 minutes and the score is still tied at 4-4 then it must have been an even match. I mean was Riverside the better team? Yeah they were the better team at penalty kicks(besides the fact they missed one during regulation) and had a better keeper in goal but how can you tell who was actually the better team. You can't. Both of ya'll that are so certain one team was better are probably both biased.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
quote:
Originally posted by Brock Scott:
Playoffs isn't always about the most talented team. Riverside is no way as talented as Greenville. Not even close. But its about who plays better on the night. Riverside must have played better.

Not even close?

T
Trisoc4 Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
T
Riverside is as talented as Greenville. Most of the players from both teams play on the same club teams. Greenville had a great season and should be very proud about the way they played, Riverside just came out without the Intimidation Factor and were finally able to put everything together on the field and showed that they were just as good as GHS. The other factor was that Riverside was able to limit the dangers of GHS long throws with the wall on the goal line.

D
bench
bench
D
Who scored for Riverside? Any match stats?

T
Trisoc4 Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
T
Riverside goals scored by:

Austin Baker, Mike Morguet, and Aaron Peter scored two. I am excited to see Riverside play next year, they only loose 3 seniors. The team is loaded with sophmores and juniors.

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Austin Baker
Kevin Ryan
Aaron Peter (2)

PK's
Jeff Day
Matt Ayers
Kyle Rogers
Nick Castro

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I thought the pk's were 3-1. How many did the Riverside keeper save?

X
x Offline
goal kick
goal kick
X
Brock,
To be fair to both Greenville and Riverside, the talent level is much closer than you think. In fact, there are more CESA Premier level players on Riverside's team than Greenville's so it is not as if Greenville lost to a bunch of tomato cans.

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Riverside keeper stopped Sebastian and then I think it was the next boy that missed wide off the left post. GHS scored on their 3rd and 4th try. When RHS scored on their 4th the game was over.

brace
brace
quote:
Originally posted by bushwick bill:
Brock,
To be fair to both Greenville and Riverside, the talent level is much closer than you think. In fact, there are more CESA Premier level players on Riverside's team than Greenville's so it is not as if Greenville lost to a bunch of tomato cans.

Tomato Cans. LOL!

coach
coach
Any possibility of an in-depth report on this game? Had to have been a great atmosphere with 2 great Greenville teams. And Greenville High with the best, zaniest fans in the state. That kind of atmosphere will probably prevail Wed. in Cola. with Dreher/BC.

J
world cup
world cup
J
Yeah.. there hasn't been a game summary for either of these schools all year it seems. Riverside scores as many/more on G-ville than they've allowed all season..and no recap?!

brace
brace
Don't do it!

They are just looking for any shred of info in order to have Dreher/BC take the title for the lowerstate.

Give them nothing!!!!!

coach
coach
Corner,
You are just sore cause you lost in first round of PLC to someone from Lexington. I know thats pretty hard to swallow, but the Riverside game musta been one of the best this season. Just want some of the flavor of the game. I know it was a David v. Goliath kinda game.

J
world cup
world cup
J
quote:
Originally posted by CornerFlag:

They are just looking for any shred of info in order to have Dreher/BC take the title for the lowerstate.

If you tell us..and the Lowerstate does win. I promise there will be a * in the record books noting:

This state championship is an aggregate state championship for all lowerstate contenders of the last twenty years. It in no way reflects the quality of this year's lowerstate representative or lowerstate quality as a whole. But merely, fulfills the basic American principle of giving people what they don't deserve.

Now.. out with it!

S
throw in
throw in
S
(David and Goliath) wow i think you all think this game was like a clear the ball at all costs for riverside and Greenville just couldn't score: my cousin who goes to riverside said they had more long throw-ins, more corners, more free kicks, more possesion, hit the post twice, missed a p.k., and played with more heart...sounds to me like it was maybe the other way around...i sure hope to make the daniel game it should be a good one

coach
coach
Who's your cousin?

coach
coach

S
throw in
throw in
S
he doesn't play for them but, matt peggler

L
kick off
kick off
L
Being at the game and seeing Riverside and Greenville play a couple of other times this year I have a couple of opinions. Greenville usually plays high pressure and depend a lot on their speed to win the ball in their attacking half of the field and work for a corner, long throw, or foul to score. They are very organized and play great team defense. The first problem on Saturday was Riverside played very well with the ball under pressure in their half and managed to always make great decisions with the ball; weather it be a long ball to #20 (who played a great game and pressured Greenville's back 4 all night) or build up from the backs to midfielders. The second reason Riverside was successful is because Kosis #18 and Shockly GK were unbelievable in the air on all long balls, corners, and throw-ins which allowed them to clear the ball and counter-attack instead of picking the ball out of the back of the net and go to kick-off like the rest of the teams Greenville faced this year. The third reason, and final from my point of view, is Riverside played together as a team at the level they are capable and were capable of playing all year with the talent they have. Let's face it they have some ballers on that team. I will also say that Greenville still did not play their best game of the year and still hung in there with Riverside. Seemed everytime Riverside would score back would come Greenville and put one in. So it was a great game to watch. But like I said this is my opion and I could be wrong.

S
bench
bench
S
Riverside definitely did their homework. Hats off to their coach. Being an upstate soccer fan I have seen both teams play. (Greenville beat Riverside 4-0 during the regular season). Every time Greenville took the field they worked like a well oiled machine; very precise passing & ball handling skills. Riverside was not nearly as impressive.... until Sat night. They brought the same game as Greenville; maybe even better. They came close to scoring another 4 or 5 goals in the 1st half. They had a PK blocked & missed the net when the keeper was out along with some other near misses. It will be interesting to see if Riverside was on for just one night or it will continue throughout the playoffs.

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
I don't think it is possible to provide a real "recap" of the game for the posters that have requested one. If you were at the game...count yourself lucky...this was probably the best HS game (any sport) that I have ever witnessed. The hype associated with GHS and the fact that RHS almost lost in the first round against TR just added to the atmosphere...especially after RHS scored the first goal. Each team took each others best shot(s) and didn't give up. Most people probably would have expected that from GHS but not from RHS...hat's off to the coach for getting the boys ready for the challenge and the players for executing the plan!!!!!

Good luck on Wednesday.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard