Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#40415 05/08/06 03:49 AM
H
H-SC#9 Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
H
Lets vote for the best forward ever in South Carolina high school history.

My vote goes to the living legend himself, Lord Andy Lamar Sheilds, A.K.A (to defenders only) the silent panther!

[ May 08, 2006, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Kyle Heise ]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Karston Gefle (sp?)
He played at Batesburg-Leesville 1996-97? and scored over 100 goals. He was a German exchange student.
I believe he holds the single season goals record to this day.

goal
goal
Sorry, NO one from BL gets any kind of "Best Ever" award! Unless of course it is Best Ever Bucktooth BBQ Eater!

Goal
Goal
Steven Bush was a German exchange student that went to Myrtle Beach and scored like 239043820594354 in one season and was a freakin beast.

goal
goal
1. Anthony Stovall(RV USC)
2. Jefferey Taylor(Sumter Newberry)
3. Nick Hansell(RV Davidson)
4. Troy Lesesne (BC CoC)
5. Jorge Atehortua(Southside USC Upstate)

World Cup
World Cup
shut^&play is right.

Steven Busch was an absolute beast in 2000 when he played for Myrtle Beach. He was selected to the inaugural SCSOCCER.COM "Super 15" team after scoring a state record 77 goals in one season (to go along with 33 assists).

T
kick off
kick off
T
Andrew Coggins- Played at Middleton High School in the late 80's early 90's. Went on to lead USC's soccer program in goals. 6'3 with a goal scorers touch.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what about Tomek Charowski of CC??? he has led to two very good seasons his freshman and sophmore years so far!!!

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Tomek Charowski is at Duke University playing on a near full scholarship for their dominate ACC soccer program. He was almost, or may very well have been, selected as a Freshman All-American.

Brace
Brace
Michael Pao and Jeremiah Tao lead the dominate Riverside teams of the late 80s and early 90s. Michael went on to play at Duke and Jeremiah went to Vanderbilt.

Also, Robbie Paite from Middleton. He was a senior in 1994. He scored 4 goals in the state champioship game.... however, we (Riverside) scored 8 and won 8-5.

What about the brothers Suarez (Hector, Victor and Temoc)? And who can forget John Wilson?? Even though he is a left back with DC United, he was an unstoppable forward for Seneca High, DSA and ODP teams.

J
world cup
world cup
J
I'd talk up the guys that scored on me too [Razz]

goal kick
goal kick
quote:
Originally posted by Jackson, Samuel L.:
1. Anthony Stovall
2. Jefferey Taylor
3. Nick Nansell
4. Troy Lesesne
5. Jorge Atehortua

do you mean Nick Hansell? played at ridge view a while back ago?

goal
goal
Yeah

goal
goal
What about that one guy from Andrew Jackson from a while back. I dont remember his name but i remember that he scored a ton of goals in his time. Anyone know who I am talking about?

J
world cup
world cup
J
Kyle Izzard

..and if you bring him up.. you have to mention AC Cogburn of Emerald too.

Not sure they're the best ever though.. certainly excellent goal scorers..but against who?

Brace
Brace
I had the "pleasure" of coaching against Pao, Tao, Suarez, Wilson, Coggins, Paite. All of those guys were more dangerous then anyone I have COACHED AGAINST lately. Don't forget Hendrix and Harriford, both of Irmo and Redmond of Eastside (1992). In the late 70's Eastside had a guy score a ton of goals too. I can't recall his name. Middleton also had a guy they called "Juice." And don't forget Andy Kwon of SV.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tomek Charowski was a freshman all american!!!

World Cup
World Cup
WDIM, you are thinking of Kyle Izzard. Another good one from AJHS was Bob Cook.

How about these forwards -- no current players listed -- and I tried to limit it to guys that were mainly forwards throughout their prep careers? Jason Alsberry (West Florence), Luis Arrieta (Mauldin), Nathan Arroyo (Northwestern), Eric Baafour (North Augusta), Gibson Baafour (North Augusta), Cable Best (North Augusta), Lionel Boisvert (Sumter), Scott Bradford (Aiken), Chris Bullis (Socastee), Steven Busch (Myrtle Beach), Andrew Cogburn (Emerald), Andrew Coggins (Middleton), John Cooper (Riverside), Kyle Driver (Chapin), Jon Eggert (Riverside), Craig Forest (Irmo), Will Gettys (Middleton), Steve Giffel (Dreher), Andrew Glover (Myrtle Beach), David Gregory (Brookland-Cayce), Kyle Gunby (Emerald), Jeff Haigler (Dutch Fork), Ward Harriford (Irmo), Kimball Harris (Lexington), Thomas Hughes (Ridge View), Jake Hund (James Island), Kyle Jordan (Irmo), Paige Jordan (Irmo), Johnny Keen (Chapin), Alex Koutrakos (Brookland-Cayce), Michael Kozak (West Florence), Ryan Kurtz (Irmo), Jonathan Lake (Wando), Troy Lesesne (Brookland-Cayce), Marc Lloyd (James Island), Reginald McKnight (Southside), Charles Mauldin (Greenwood), Thomas Mauldin (Greenwood), Joseph Mosser (Dreher), Cody Natale (Wando), Robbie Pait (Middleton), Michael Pao (Riverside), Hamilton Peters (Lexington) Aaron Pretulak (Dorman), Adam Rutledge (Travelers Rest), Lawrence Smith (Bishop England), Anthony Stovall (Ridge View), Temoc Suarez (Bishop England), Jeremiah Tao (Riverside), Jeffrey Taylor (Sumter), Mike Torres (Richland Northeast), Jonathan Whitehead (Lexington), John Wilson (Seneca), and Courtney ??? (Stratford).

Nick Hansell was an outstanding forward at RVHS and was a standout for Davidson College as well.

goal
goal
Thats a great list!!!

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
I had the pleasure of playing with Andrew Cogburn. He is currently a 4.0gpa biology major at clemson university. He will be the best at anything he touches and if he had chosen soccer as his future then he very well could be playing on scholarship now at any school in the country that's D1. He was a very talented athlete possessing tons of God given talent and intelligence.

He played 3 years and 2 games of high school soccer and is the 2nd alltime career scorer in south carolina high school league history in only 3 years and 2 games. he tore his ACL his junior year during the 2nd game of the season.

He would have scored goals on any level, 4A-1A. He played 2A. Keep in mind Emerald played a difficult out of region schedule the years he played.

He is one goal behind the leader... 3 years, it took the leader 4.

M
goal kick
goal kick
M
Kyle,

What about the guys from smaller schools? I see a few but hardly any names from 2A or 1A schools. I appreciate that you work mainly with 3A and 4A schools, and that is certainly a tremendous list containing many quality players, but I just wonder if there are any more. I might also add some of my own.

Shane Abbott (Socastee), Timmy Costanza - (Wando)

World Cup
World Cup
quote:
What about the guys from smaller schools? I see a few but hardly any names from 2A or 1A schools.
Seven of those players played in the 2A ranks -- Andrew Cogburn (Emerald), Bob Cook (Andrew Jackson), Kyle Driver (Chapin), Kyle Gunby (Emerald), Johnny Keen (Chapin), Lawrence Smith (Bishop England), and Temoc Suarez (Bishop England).

Brace
Brace
Kyle:
That is a great call on Reggie McKnight! Also, Thomas and Charles Mauldin.

I got to play with Charles at Lander. We also had a few other S.C. greats..... Jimmy Leonard (Riverside) and Kyle Gunby (Emerald) at forward and Kevin Pitts (Mauldin) in midfielder.

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
I dont get out to see many of the more prominant schools around this state like irmo northwestern and the likes but I have been privy to many 1/2A matches. I know that the smaller divisions do not get much credit but im here to tell anyone who never saw him play that Tomek Charowski was/is one of the best soccer players I have ever seen in my life. He was an all-around skilled player that could have not only played but would have been the star on any team in this state.

World Cup
World Cup
I didn't include Tomek Charowski on the list, because he played midfield the times I saw him (2001-04).

J
world cup
world cup
J
Brock - I hear ya man.. I've played with AC too (intramural [Roll Eyes] ) but really..I know he's a quality goal scorer. Probably in the top 10 I've ever seen from SC..but my scope reaches to what? 99-00? That's only 6-7 years.

Edit: I was lucky enough to see Tomek once.. not necessarily a forward or a goal scorer..but he might as well have been the only person out there. The game went through him..just have to 2nd what The_Count said.. probably the best "all-around" player I've seen in my short years.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Scott Broderick and Hunter Richardson of Eastside. Both scored 31 goals in 84. Scott was a senior, Hunter a freshman. Scott left Furman as their all-time leading scorer but has since been passed. Hunter blew out both his knees but had to be the fastest, most tenacious striker I have ever seen. Talk about your defense starting with attackers, I don't know how many goals Hunter scored by winning back balls lost in the defense third. He also had somthing like 6 goals versus #4 Hanna (Final was 16-0)

Brace
Brace
Hunter was the guy I was trying to think of from Eastside. He had 10 in one game once. I never saw him play. But, when I got to EHS he was a legend.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
quote:
Originally posted by the voice of reason:
Michael Pao and Jeremiah Tao lead the dominate Riverside teams of the late 80s and early 90s. Michael went on to play at Duke and Jeremiah went to Vanderbilt.

Actually Michael went to Vandy and Jeremiah went to Duke. After college Michael Pao went to Japan and played professional soccer for many years which proves how amazing he was at soccer.

As for Tomek he is certainly the best all around player I've ever seen. He probably just played midfield instead of forward for CC because he could be more involved in the game and still score goals at will. I've played against him three times. The first time off a free kick he rips one upper ninety from about 35 out. The second time he gets a touch from his teammate off a freekick from the 18 and he hits a laser that goes right inside the post middle way up. The third time he hits a rip from about 10 yards in our half that had some of the sickest movement in the world, like a knuckle ball. It goes far post side net not quite upper ninety. It is ridiculous what he can do with his freekicks or his shots in general.

hat-trick
hat-trick
My list would have to be
1 Laurence Smith (BE and Georgia Southern...7 goals against ben lippen when i saw him play...)
2 Anthony Stovall (RV and USC)
3 Troy Lesesne (BC, CofC and Battery)
4 Steven Busch (MB)
5 Kyle Driver

I basically picked 5 of the 10 or so that I actually saw play from Kyle's long list.

L
throw in
throw in
L
uhhhhhh CODY NATALE............imagine if he played his senior year??

M
kick off
kick off
M
yea lawrence is beast...he still has scoring record which will probably never be beat(don't know exact number but it's ridiculous)

BUT he played the whole field...in big games he would usually drop back to sweeper, other times play center mid. he should be on the battery soon if the final cut goes the right way.

one name that caught my eye was Andrew Coggins from Middleton...my sister went to school with him so I saw him play way back when I played for Charlestowne Soccer Club. He had some serious game.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Wayne,
Yes Hunter was unbelievable. At national camp, the coaches said he was the fastest person over 20 yards they had ever seen, even with a ball at his feet. It was like the ball was glued to his foot. Unbelievable.

A
Goal
Goal
A
Summerville has had some great forwards over the years--Colin Pelton, Craig Brady, David Sullivan, Wade Hathaway, Daniel Riggs and Eddie Naugle to name a few.
At Fort Dorchester, both North-South selections Kyle Schmidt and Jeremy Chinnis scored alot of huge goals for this program.Unfortunately,we were not a strong defensive team during this period.
At Stall H.S. in early 80's Billy Gibbs and Thomas Kinney were incredible forwards.
At Sumter in the late 70's Kevin Lingenfelt was a great forward as well as a kid named Butterfield in early 80's.
Sidenote--We at Summerville beat Eastside 1-0 in 84 final. Hunter Richardson played hurt(bad hammy)
and was still a huge force.Best freshman I've ever seen.

F
goal
goal
F
I can only go back to the mid-90s, but there was a kid that played for West Florence named Jason Parham. He played for the CMSA Patriots back when they were top boys Club team in the state. He was huge and could score whenever he wanted. He led the state in scoring in 4A when he was a sophomore I think and had a ridiculous amount of goals agaist the North Augusta Kicks Challenge team I played for.

Andy Kwon, who went to Duke and played at Spring Valley in HS, he may have been a mid, not a FW, was ridiculous also.

X
x Offline
goal kick
goal kick
X
tomek is (was) better than Andy. right shearer

M
throw in
throw in
M
Kyle you brought up Reggie McKnight a great player from Southside, but one of the best keepers I have ever seen also played with him on that team and I believe went to Depaul where injury limited his effectiveness. I am unable to remember his name but he was also a class individual and I hope you can remember his name.

M
throw in
throw in
M
I do realize that the discussion is about forwards but it made me remember the kid and not being able to think of his name is an itch I cannot get rid of : Williams maybe?

goal
goal
My List Part II:

1. Lionel Boisvert (Sumter and Winthrop)
2. Lawerence Smith (BE and Georgia Southern)
3. John Cooper (Riverside and Clemson)
4. Issac Porter (Wren and Eriskine)
5. Jon Eggert (Riverside and USC)

World Cup
World Cup
quote:
Kyle you brought up Reggie McKnight a great player from Southside, but one of the best keepers I have ever seen also played with him on that team and I believe went to Depaul where injury limited his effectiveness. I am unable to remember his name but he was also a class individual and I hope you can remember his name.
Mike, his name is Jeromie Johnson and he and McKnight played in the North-South Soccer Classic that season -- super talents! He lettered at DePaul University in 1997 and injuries cut short his career.

J
world cup
world cup
J
I played against John Cooper about two months ago (intramural)..I can only imagine what he'd be like if he actually cared about the match. Jesus Christ!

C
kick off
kick off
C
as much as i know this my agravate some people im going to say it anyway. As could as these players were in 80's and early 90s cant we say that the level of soccer in our state/ country has evolved so much since then?

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Actually I think some of these older players might have been a bit better than what we have now in the state.

J
world cup
world cup
J
As a general rule in these types of comparisons. You have to look at the names and compare them to the standards of their day. Very few athletes accomplishments will transcend the generations.. and I'm not sure SC soccer has had ANY talent that can make that claim.

Carry on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i will throw out another name that some have heard and others have not...Robert Hunter(Waccamaw High and now playing for the Furman Paladins)...only played 2 years of high school soccer in SC before he left to go to Bradenton Academy his senior year and he scored around 70 goals in 2 years for WHS

D
goal kick
goal kick
D
i may sound like an idiot here but did clint mathis go to high school here? i know he played at usc and if he went to high school instate i feel pretty sure he woulda put up some good numbers.

world cup
world cup
I'm pretty sure Clint went to high school in GA:

http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/roster/men/mathis.htm

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
he did...Ga

P
corner kick
corner kick
P
Eric Baafour is my favorite and one of the most exciting players ive ever seen.

G
bench
bench
G
mark my word boys enzo from NW will go down as one of the top!!!

F
bench
bench
F
I agree. I shudder to think of what that kid will do as a senior.

D
bench
bench
D
Andrew Phillips from Northwestern should be mentioned in here.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Na...

W
goal
goal
W
Phillips not yet. Clint went to Heritage HS in Coyners Ga.

M
bench
bench
M
quote:
Originally posted by cabj12:
Actually Michael went to Vandy and Jeremiah went to Duke. After college Michael Pao went to Japan and played professional soccer for many years which proves how amazing he was at soccer.

Hi everyone. Cabj12, thanks for clarifying the above for everyone. Jeremiah and I were mistaken for each other throughout our entire lives post high school. I did indeed play professionally in Japan but also in Indonesia (Jakarta) and Holland. Wonderful international experience. In total- 6 years traveling and playing. I was just lucky.

Just wanted to say hello and that I think it is great that soccer is still a big part of SC life. I haven't been able to keep up with the talent, but I know that Hyslop and Pearce along with alot of other guys I grew up with are doing a great job continuing the tradition by growing solid SC soccer talent.

As for the names mentioned, it's an honor to be remembered up with some of the great ones I played with: the Suarez's, Coggins, Hunter Richardson and Jody Redmond, Andy Kwon, and many many others at RHS (Joe Fleming)... (Nobody mentioned any of the guys from TL Hanna, like Kevin Kinney and Chris Morehead). one name not mentioned is Martin Jeppesen. He was a Danish exchange student at RHS during my sophomore year at RHS. He was your typical, big-man European striker.. could post up beautifully, use his head, and lay off balls perfectly. He not only scored a ton of goals but assisted gracefully. Sure, it's not easy to remember such a flash-in-the-pan, but he was a great one.

You all take care.

C
Coach Emeritus
Coach Emeritus
C
Thank you Michael for remembering Kevin Kinley and Chris Moorhead from T L Hanna

A
kick off
kick off
A
joe kredich scored twice for Pinewood in the final. Needs a little shout-out.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
And the title of Best Forward in SC history goes to Michael Pao. Not only is he a great soccer player but he is a top notch poster. How can anyone deny him the title after such a classy post such as that showing humility and congratulating others?

Here is your crown Michael.

-

M
bench
bench
M
quote:
Originally posted by dreherheckler:
i may sound like an idiot here but did clint mathis go to high school here? i know he played at usc and if he went to high school instate i feel pretty sure he woulda put up some good numbers.

Mathis never played h.s. ball here, but there was a Clint Gwaltney. He played for St. Giles and had a year or two at Eastside along with Hunter Richardson..I believe. Not sure if he graduated there.. went on to UNC Chapel Hill where he kicked for the football team.. he was a lefty.. winger.. from what I remember. Quite a talented player as well.

Cheers.

B
goal
goal
B
quote:
Originally posted by ALLSTAR:

So Joe Kredich of Pinewood is among the greatest forwards in SC history! Impressive.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
to tell the truth i would take one guy from 1A over any of these players, his name is JEFFERY LOONEY, he has to be one of the best strikers the state has ever seen, also one of the best club soccer players in the south!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
also another great forward from 1A was TERANCE SHEARN, i would have taken either of these players over anyone on this list!!!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Is that why nobody has heard of them?

goal
goal
Well if it means anything, then the worst goalkeeper in South Carolina is Nagelkirk at Southside Christian! You can't hide from the Warriors!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by Always Right:
Well if it means anything, then the worst goalkeeper in South Carolina is Nagelkirk at Southside Christian! You can't hide from the Warriors!

who is this Nagelkirk you speak of? i know who you are!!!

brace
brace
quote:
Originally posted by ALLSTAR:

Maybe, but not in this thread.

A
kick off
kick off
A
All im sayin is that he's probably the best player in the world, u guys need to calm down

Goal
Goal
Back in the mid 80's there was this little known player out there. I would describe him as the best player in SC history that you've never heard of.

Haywood Jablomie - From the great parish of Pelion, SC.

Scored 27 goals in one game at PHS including as what one mullet backed fan would call "the greatest darn goal i ever did see". At one point Haywood toed the ball down the field and simultaneously lept a baby calf who had wandered onto the illustrious playing surface a PHS. He then side stepped a rabid dog who had gotten loose from his pen that sat adjacent to the trailer/mobile home (which ever you prefer) that resided near the home side of the bench. After all this Haywood gracefully stung the ball into the back of the net as the other team looked on in awe. Of course all of this was never reported nor did it make it out of the local Pelion media (save for Pelion soccer's own SID department) because the Pelion authorities realized the jokes abound observed by many when word got out that the PHS soccer team was comprised of 18 "inter-related cousins" stemming from the same gene cesspool the longtime "runners" of Pelion, the Jablomie's.

goal
goal
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAYWOODHAHAHAHHAHAHA
That's good stuff! Is he related to that SC keeper?

J
world cup
world cup
J
quote:
Originally posted by shut^&play:

Haywood Jablomie - From the great parish of Pelion, SC.

Not to be confused with, Will Bloeaux, the french exchange student that played for Airport all those years ago...

(OMG..did I do it right?! HAR HAR HAR!)

-

goal
goal
Perfect Jack, absolutely perfect!  -

goal
goal
STRANGE!!

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
le-dude thats impressive that u have that much time

J
world cup
world cup
J
Yeah..hours of dedication to do a google search and copy and paste a link. What can I say? I'm the man.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ha ha ha that was a pretty sweet post L-E!!!

quote:
Originally posted by ChuckNorris:
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAYWOODHAHAHAHHAHAHA
That's good stuff! Is he related to that SC keeper?

I am not related to whoever this nagelkirk is. i have never heard of him!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard