Print Thread
#4106 03/02/02 04:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question...are non-region matches supposed to go into overtime and into PKs? The past 2 years anytime I've seen a non-region game (outside of tournies who have their own rules) that ended regulation in a tie, it was marked as a tie and nothing else was played. Is there an official 'rule' to this?

#4107 03/02/02 06:03 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Per SCHSL rules ALL high school matches (boys/girls & varsity/jv) are supposed to be decided by overtime and then penalty kicks if necessary, with the exception of tournaments that are allowed flexibility to make their own rules.

Personally, I wish we could end matches in ties. I believe it plays more strategy in matches, particularly if you are the underdog.

#4108 03/02/02 09:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You hit the nail on the head about the underdogs. This is essentially what I'm thinking. If a ranked team can't put away a non-ranked team in regulation, the non-ranked team should be able to have something to show for it, in this case a tie. In terms of rankings, do things like PKs count just as if a team were to win in regulation? I think any team in competition should't be worried about rankings anyway, but it's a nice little thing to be able to say you're ranked.

#4109 03/03/02 04:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, i'm for overtime, and PK's and we're definetly underdogs...but i think it may give the underdogs a chance to come out on top of a ranked team, if the non-ranked team has a decent keeper, it gives them a shot at winning instead of taking the tie, so...i see the overtime/pk's as a good thing, example, last year played lakewood and we tied them, and i dont' beleive we won but maybe on region game last year, and because of the overtime/pk's we took the win after 15 shots were taken by both teams.

#4110 03/11/02 03:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone else with an opinion on the matter?

#4111 03/11/02 04:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe that overtime should be used with any tie cuz it kind of finishes the game. Whether it be an upset by the underdogs or just another close-call for a ranked team. It shows how teams finish and their devotion to finish the game on a good note (mainly in overtime). But I can see how it can harm teams with pk's: like if one team has an awesome defense (but a poor goalie) and the other a good offense and the score is held down to a tie (for instance 1-1 or something), if pk's are the result then the offensive team has the main advantage since the only defensive skill is involved are with a goalie and the awesome defense can only watch and cheer on their team. But in every game there are advantages and disadvantages. But the catch is all soccer games are about advantages and how a team uses them to do their best. So all in all...whether overtime or pk's occur, they are for the best and some of the time help the deserving team win.

Once again, this is my opinion so if you don't like it, then ignore it.

#4112 03/13/02 02:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am a fan of the overtime/PK system, because I have seen occasions where an unranked team can come out on top. An example would be the second Wando/Fort Dorchester game. Wando, ranked #5 at the time, was held off by Fort Dorchester, at the time unranked. Fort Dorchester was able to win the game in the PK shootout, and now they are ranked. I agree that rankings don't signify a whole lot but also that it's nice to say that you are a ranked team. Any other opinions?

#4113 03/13/02 02:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, also a pk shootout can benefit keepers on the good teams. normally a keeper can't show out to much, and i think are often times not recognized enough..especially being on good teams and not being able to show their full capabilities. I think a shootout gives those keepers a little shot of fame for that game. Not saying i have a problem with not getting a chance to show my full capabilities playing at LR, but just something i thought would be nice for the keepers on the better teams.

Link Copied to Clipboard