Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
brace
brace
BDad11—Yes! You have made an excellent contribution about there being several factors. I didn't mean to sound argumentative, but wanted to emphasize the advantage of open enrollment—that is a key factor when we compare private schools to small, rural public schools. When a small, rural public school has players with club experience, with a quality club nearby, and with quality coaching at the high school, some of that advantage disappears. BUT BE and CC still dominate; therefore, the open enrollment seems to carry a significant weight. Some sports fall outside this dynamic, and that certainly should be considered.

B
goal
goal
B
Believe me I understand the frustration in facing a team such as BE or CC....Again, my school Wilson Hall faces the same uphill climb in SCISA against the Pinewoods, Porter Gauds,Ben Lippens and Cardinal Newmans of the world as you do against BE and CC.....The light at the end of the tunnel is that because of some success the last 2 years more of our better young athletes are entering the soccer program and more are planning on playing club this fall instead of football....If this occurs , then our program will improve...If more of the better athletes go out for soccer at some of these rural schools and choose soccer instead of football or basketball, and commit to year round play, then your teams can compete with the BE's of the world.Lincoln is a great example of this.......

S
goal
goal
S
BDad11, please review my previous post and notice the word hypothetical. I made no allegations whether supported or unsupported. In fact, in my previous post I made mention of public school recruiting not private. I made the analogy because the possibility exists for one school but does not for another. If the question is only about money then that is probably easier to overcome than many other issues. If I had the money I could "potentialy" buy my son a state championship. That would not I agree with you in regards to the possiblity of urban vs. rural but doesn't the current A-AAAA classifications address that issue within public schools. If there is already a problem within SCISA regarding the non-district line issue why bring those issues into the public school arena if they are addressed via the current classifications. Why can't we change the way public school attendance is handled. This could even the playing field for all schools. I just don't understand why there are different rules for different schools playing in the same league.

J
world cup
world cup
J
Ben - I was just being a smart ass. I never said SCHSL was the "Public" league...because "technically" it isn't.

You do have to wander into the realm of "interpretation" though..and ask yourself. Can Bishop England or CC join SCISA if they so choose? Yes. I believe they could. They have all the characteristics of an Independent/Private school. While..I don't know many Public schools that are allowed open enrollement(Magnet being an acception..kind of) OR ESPECIALLY religious affiliation. Pretty sure that one wouldn't go over too well. So..yes.. technically BE, SCS, and CC meet all those requirements to participate in SCHSL play..but what we're all talking about here..is are those requirements "just".. is their participation..or their advantage over their classification "fair" ..and "fair" and "just" are not defined in bylaws or rules.

On the point BDad11 is making.. I would reference you to the thread about this from earlier in the year. In particular, the argument of Hanahan HS (which is located on Daniel Island with Bishop England) ..it isn't quite as simple as urban vs rural. There are many factors..

It's pretty simple to me though.. if you have the capability to have students from all over the COUNTRY..then you have an advantage over ANY public school. And if you truly want to up your level of competition.. you won't be in a region with Garett Tech or whoever it is BE plays in region.

B
goal
goal
B
I don't believe I mentioned you specifically ,however any long time reader of this board has heard the "R" word mentioned numerous times involving the discussions of BE and whether they belong in the SCHSL...

I'm sorry but I don't follow your line of reasoning regarding classifications...Within classications you see huge disparities in success in certain sports... Look at Spring Valley in relation to Hartsville.... Both 4A schools but very different....Location,location,location...
As for SCISA we on the same playing field regarding the rules...The only variable regarding soccer is access and commitment to year round play... That has to be addressed through commitment not legislation..

I'm sorry if my entry into this discussion offended you as it seemed to, however I thought I might add to the discussion from a different perspective...

World Cup
World Cup
Jack, one clarification:
quote:
the argument of Hanahan HS (which is located on Daniel Island with Bishop England)
Hanahan is in Berkeley County and Bishop England is in Charleston County -- about nine miles apart.

-

T
bench
bench
T
I wonder, what would happen to all of this if a voucher system was installed??? where all students had the choice of where they went? Talk about a twist to the system.

B
goal
goal
B
LE Dude, your reference to the Hanahan and BE discussion is a valid one...Seemingly as both schools draw from a mostly suburban setting, it would disprove any notion of location being a major factor.However, just as attendance lines are not the only factor in BE's success, then neither is location....The fact is, BE is the perfect storm of several factors which lead to a disparate amount of success in certain sports...Affluence, tradition, commitment,superb coaching, and location all contribute to BE's soccer success... Most people I know from BE send their children there because of academics and the total school enviroment. Perhaps prior success in soccer would lead some to send their kids to BE for that reason, but the same thing happens when schools are restricted by attendance lines...You don't think people choose which school districts they live in by factors regarding the school system.If you would restrict BE to a certain geographic location then a parent willing to spend $9500 on a child's education would also be willing to move to that district in my opinion...

If given the choice , I'm sure BE would move up in classification in certain sports..However as a member of SCHSL who follows the rules as laid out by that organiztion, BE is placed in AA by the High School League and that is where they find themselves in all sports.

S
kick off
kick off
S
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Heise:
Jack, one clarification:
quote:
the argument of Hanahan HS (which is located on Daniel Island with Bishop England)
Hanahan is in Berkeley County and Bishop England is in Charleston County -- about nine miles apart.

The distance is correct, however, Daniel Island is in the City of Charleston, but in Berkeley County. Kids that live on Daniel Island go to Hanahan Public Schools. However, Daniel Island Elementary and Middle School is currently under construction. Evidently, begining next year, kids entering BE that live on Daniel Island will not be able to play sports for BE until the following year. (Example, I attend BE as a freshman, but cannot play sports until I am a sophmore if I live in Berkeley County.) I am a BE parent, and do believe the 1.5 mutliplier would be a fair compromise if it came down to it. I don't think an automatic elevation to the highest division would be however. One could argue that Academic Magnet has the same advantages of drawing from the whole county, but to throw them to the highest level (4-A) would be terrible for the kids. I know AMHS is a public school, but a private school that had the same enrollment as AMHS would not be able to compete with 4A schools. I sincerely believe that we all want to be fair to all the kids. I have enjoyed reading the well thought out ideas on this thread.

S
goal
goal
S
BDad11, Your entry into the discussion certainly did not offend me. I am just trying to understand the issues and how schools in the same league are governed by different rules. This is a discussion that encompasses many issues which are facing not only soccer in SC but the entire socioeconomic makeup of our country. Your perspective is appreciated to further the dialoge. You are correct many people do make the choice of where to live based on the schools. However, that decision is much more difficult than stroking a check for tuition. I hold nothing against BE or any others schools which find themselves in this predicament. Moving up in classification still does not resolve the descrepency it just passes the buck.I just don't understand Why the different rules?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard