Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
StudentSportsSoccer.com -- Palmetto Cup's Impact

April 4, 2007

Sheldon Shealer
StudentSportsSoccer.com Editor

The 16-team Palmetto Cup might have a major say in who is No. 1 in the FAB 50.

The 15th annual event brings four nationally ranked teams to South Carolina to mix it up with 12 local teams.

Beyond the obvious head-to-head importance of the competition, the Palmetto Cup results will have a ripple effect among the participating states - South Carolina, Tennessee and Oklahoma.

In addition, Kelly Walsh from Wyoming is making an appearance at the event, and while no Wyoming program has ever made the FAB 50, this will be Kelly Walsh's chance.

The key teams in this year's tournament are Norman North (Okla.), Farragut (Tenn.), Christian Brothers (Tenn.), and the top three South Carolina teams - Northwestern, Wando and Lexington.

Northwestern won last year's event, which justified not only the team's standing nationally, but helped South Carolina's case across the board. Norman North won in 2004 and 2005, both times leading to high FAB 50 finishes for the eventual Oklahoma state champion.

Last edited by Kevin Heise; 04/08/07 03:59 PM.
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
2007 Tournament Scores & Results

Wednesday, April 4
Christian Brothers-TN 2-2 Lexington
Dorman 5-0 Airport
Dutch Fork 2-0 Wando
Farragut-TN 2-1 Spring Valley
Kelly Walsh-WY 2-1 Brookland-Cayce
Northwestern 6-2 Pinewood Prep

Thursday, April 5
Christian Brothers-TN 2-1 Northwestern
Daniel 3-2 Norman North-OK
Dutch Fork 1-0 Norman North-OK
Farragut-TN 3-0 Dorman
Fort Mill 1-0 Brookland-Cayce
Lexington 3-2 Pinewood Prep
Riverside 2-0 Kelly Walsh-WY
Spring Valley 4-1 Airport
Wando 5-0 Daniel

Friday, April 6
Brookland-Cayce 1-1 Riverside
Christian Brothers-TN 2-1 Pinewood Prep
Daniel 3-3 Dutch Fork
Dorman 2-1 Spring Valley
Farragut-TN 10-0 Airport
Fort Mill 1-1 Riverside
Kelly Walsh-WY 2-1 Fort Mill
Northwestern 3-2 Lexington
Wando 2-0 Norman North-OK

Saturday, April 7
#13-16, Norman North-OK 4-0 Brookland-Cayce
#13-16, Pinewood Prep 5-2 Airport
#9-12, Fort Mill 1-0 Daniel
#9-12, Spring Valley 3-2 Lexington
#5-8, Dorman 4-3 Northwestern
#5-8, Wando 2-0 Kelly Walsh-WY
#1-4, Semifinals -- Riverside 3-2 (4-3 pk) Dutch Fork
#1-4, Semifinals -- Christian Brothers-TN 1-0 (3-0 pk) Farragut-TN
#1-2, Championship -- Riverside 2-1 Christian Brothers-TN

S
throw in
throw in
S
well i guess this proves to all those 4a lovers out there that there are 3a teams that are just as good if not better than the top 4a teams

S
bench
bench
S
Sideline I agree......3A is just as good if not better. Riverside won without there best forward too which makes it even more impressive.

F
bench
bench
F
Obviously, anyone who knows soccer in SC knows that 4A vs 3A is an arbitrary comparison. The best teams, regardless of the size of their school are based on the quality of coaching, and the quantity of talented "club" players they can put on the field.

These national polls, etc. are nice, but they're done by folks who've never seen the teams play. There are several consistently high quality SC high school teams, NW, Irmo, Lex, SV, Wando, DF in 4A, and Riverside, Greenville, Eastside, in 3A. It's a product of the player pool from the clubs like CESA, CSC, Lex, Charlotte clubs, and the new Bridge club in Chas.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Collegiate Coaches in attendance at the Palmetto Cup
Mark Berson, University of South Carolina
Scott Calabrese, East Tennessee State University
Ed Joyce, Presbyterian College
Troy Lesesne, College of Charleston
Ralph Lundy, College of Charleston
Gary Lynch, USC Upstate
Bert Molinary, University of South Carolina
Alex Maslow, University of South Carolina
Kevin Varnado, Francis Marion University

Last edited by Kevin Heise; 04/10/07 08:30 PM.
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Notes, Quotes, Quips, & Zingers from the Palmetto Cup

One of the great things about the Palmetto Cup is the camaraderie of the coaches, volunteers, and soccer fans that convene to talk and watch soccer, discuss current goings-on, and, in general, have a good time in a relaxed atmosphere.

This post will surely be followed up by others that joined in on the fun either at The Cage or Eagle Stadium. Basically what happens is that each press box is an "anything goes" type of setting and a lot of information is shared by all and no one is beyond reproach or ribbing.

"Good evening!" -- a zinger applied to any line that was deemed sarcastic and on-point by that particular person shouting out this popular phrase.

This leads us to another call that was echoed only 10,000 times over the past four days. "That's a true statement", which was followed closely by the saying, "That's a fact" -- both introduced by David Easley, aka, "D-EZ" or the "Governor".

He ain't no Palmer Dill! This comment was started by me after I saw a goalkeeper flub an easy shot that almost went into the goal. Dill was an All-Tournament selection a year ago for Daniel HS and a very solid high school keeper. After that was blurted out, then anytime a goalkeeper struggled with a play someone would yell out this phrase.

One coach was asked if he had ever played college soccer in the state of Texas of which he quickly replied, "No way, not me. There's only two things in Texas ..." and he quickly turned and walked away. CLASSIC!

"Hey Marcus, you got that new 'get in my car'?" I don't know what this is all about, but it's something on YouTube concerning a cartoon guy that keeps getting arrested.

Some of the chants from the stadium stands left them ringing in our heads. Anyone hear, "Let's go Daniel", bellowed in a deep and gutteral voice. How about, "Come on Brothers", ad nauseum. While going to collect game balls after the final match Thursday night at Airport a disgruntled Northwestern fan called to the match officials huddled at midfield, "Hey ref" -- to which no one acknowledged. But, upon his second "Hey ref", drew the stare of three officials and an on-looker, the fan retorted "You suck"!. One of the referees responded, "Yes, I know that. Can you come up with something original next time?"

Many a reference was made about the "angry German Cubs fan" that is so popular on YouTube. If you've seen it, you'll know what I mean, but for those that don't, look it up. This kid is hilarious and I've been a Cubs fan since 1982, so it makes perfect sense, too. A Cardinals fan is responsible for the subtitles and they are brilliant.

Hey 'Q' if you are reading this down in Jamaica over the next week, then you know what to do :-)!

I'll add more when I think of them and I'm sure others will contribute to this thread as well.

Goal
Goal
"Hey, this is Kyle. I'm 36 and single. Are you Asian?" - unknown

"Marcus is about to have to go unload" - Mr. Heise

"This ain't no elephant ride" - unknown

"#12, Osama Bin Laden" - unknown

"Looks like they trained hard in the off season because last year Farragut came in here and got beat like Rodney King." - unknown

I'll think of some more soon.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
I stated before the 2007 Palmetto Cup that I thought this field would be the most competitive that we have ever had in the tourney's 15-year history.

Well, after tallying up these statistics from the four-day event, I think it shows you just how tough this event was for the participating teams. Not one squad came through unscathed (loss or tie) and in reality (real soccer records), the tournament champion, Riverside, was 2-0-3 in its five games. That's strong!

Just goes to prove that in this kind of setting that the important thing to do is to 'get a result' in each match. That gives you a chance in advancing through your group!

Matches Decided by # of Goals:
0 = 6 (18.2%), 4 in group play
1 = 15 (45.5%), 11 in group play
---------------------------------
2 = 4 (12.1%), 3 in group play
3 = 3 (9.1%), 2 in group play
4 = 2 (6.1%), 1 in group play
5+ = 3 (9.1%), 3 in group play

So, of the 33 matches played 63.6% of the matches were decided by one goal or ended in draws. The Semifinals were both decided via penalty kick shootouts.

Whew!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
2007 Palmetto Cup All-Tournament Team
4 - Riverside (Champion)
3 - Christian Brothers-TN (Runner-Up)
2 - Dutch Fork, Farragut-TN (Semifinalists)
1 - all other teams

Andy Barbieri, Sophomore, Defender, Fort Mill
Sean Bell, Junior, Kelly Walsh-WY
Brett Burana, Senior, Midfielder, Christian Brothers-TN
Russ Coleman, Senior, Norman North-OK
Jeff Day, Senior, Forward, Riverside
Andrew Eppelsheimer, Senior, Midfielder, Wando
Sean Flynn, Junior, Forward, Spring Valley
Keagan Graham, Senior, Goalkeeper, Christian Brothers-TN
Adam Greene, Senior, Goalkeeper, Farragut-TN
JC Gypin, Senior, Goalkeeper, Brookland-Cayce
Seth Kulasekera, Senior, Midfielder, Daniel
Enzo Martinez, Sophomore, Midfielder, Northwestern
Pete O'Malley, Senior, Midfielder, Christian Brothers-TN
Kevin Orzech, Senior, Forward, Lexington
Aaron Peter, Junior, Defender, Riverside (Most Valuable Player)
Malcolm Reed, Sophomore, Pinewood Prep
Kyle Rodgers, Senior, Midfielder, Riverside
Jake Russell, Senior, Midfielder, Farragut-TN
Josh Shockley, Senior, Goalkeeper, Riverside
Brandon Verano, Freshman, Midfielder, Airport

This will be updated as we receive the selections. We're waiting on: Dorman; and Dutch Fork.

Last edited by Kevin Heise; 04/19/07 07:41 PM.
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard