Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#42021 05/05/02 08:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
where are you mavsta9? wait till you get to state friday and see what "ray's of sunshine" are on the field while you get whooped. you should be glad you dont have to play with the supposed "not so much a ray of sunshine" on the field kickin your ass into the dirt. you lucked out big.

#42022 05/06/02 11:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Regarding Bryn & other S.C. soccer players: Too many excellent soccer players have not been recruited properly by the coaches at our state (taxpayer) supported universities. St. Giles Storm has the best h.s. seniors in S.C. How many will be playing soccer at state-supported institutions? So far - zero.

#42023 05/06/02 11:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't believe Bryn has been approached by the US Women's National team, Gatorade and whoever else. There has only been two females to my knowledge to make it close to a National team and that's Lindsey Beam and Elizabeth Metherall. In my opinion two of the best female soccer players to every come out of SC. They are versatile which makes them good. They can play any position asked and do well at it. Other players like Bryn are excellent at their position, but when comes to playing others they aren't as good. I think to be labeled a "Best player" doesn't mean how many goals you can score. And for colleges winning should be more important. If they can recruit the best players out of state then let them they shouldn't be restricted to just South Carolina or obligated to have so many South Carolinians on their team.

#42024 05/08/02 09:03 PM
G
bench
bench
G
No one is asking state colleges to restrict themselves to in state players. But having a few players from South Carolina, in each class, isn't asking to much...is it?

#42025 05/09/02 09:07 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Was Ashleigh Messervery injured for the West Ashley - Summerville semi-final game? She played sweeper with only a brief run or two up the field on offense. I don't think it would have made a difference in the outcome of the game if she had played forward. WA simply seemed to have Summerville's number this year.

#42026 05/09/02 10:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ASHLEY BAKER!!!!!!!!! she plays midfeild for irmo!!!!

#42027 05/10/02 10:33 AM
B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Has to be Kelly Schneider of Mauldin. Blistering pace, clinical finishing........OUCH******!!

#42028 05/10/02 11:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Between ref-ing and coaching I have been watching most of these players since before they were in high school. Here is the way I see it breaking down:

Best "pure goal scorer": Bryn Post, with Kelly Schneider a close second. Bryn did score a lot of cheapies against the Lakewoods, Crestwoods, and L.R.'s, but, she also came up big in big games. Also, it is my understanding that Bryn is a little burnt out and was not really concerned about playing in college. If that is the case, I say, good luck with your studies!

Best defender: No doubt, Stacy Simpson. Sorry, Stacy, I know you like the midfield but your a natural in defense. Toughest, grittiest player I have seen come out of SC. Good luck at Furman!

Best "all-around player": No doubt here either, Lindsay Beam. If her only weakness is composure (and I have not noticed that to be true), may I remind everyone that she is only a sophomore!

Best goalkeeper: This one is easy. Laura Snell is, by far, the No. 1 keeper in the state. She will be playing for Karen Richter at Auburn next year. And Karen knows a little about goalkeepers, she is the goalkeeper coordinator for the US Women's National Team program. Laura has also been nominated to play in the McDonald's All-American game.

Stacy and Laura will get to go at it again next year when Auburn plays Furman.

Props also to Ashleigh Messervy, and Abi Nicholas.

#42029 05/10/02 12:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
to "voice of reason 2":

You made a very good analysis of some of the best players in the state, but you know when anyone states there opinion they leave out several of the states top players. Bryn and Kelly are good but they are also on a team that can give them props and set them up. Most of the states so called "best" players are made good by there team mates. What about the girls who have to go out and actually work to do anything. I think that is who the PROPS should go too. THanks

#42030 05/11/02 04:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Justplayin:

I agree with you about the best players having good players around them (with the exception of goalkeeper, perhaps). The converse of that is also true. That the really great players make the players around them better. Fair or not, however, "best player" status is generally based on "what have you done for me, lately?"

Two of the best players no one has heard of:

-Andrea Cooper (last year) at Sumter
-Michelle Cathy (lives in Anderson plays club soccer) but I'm not sure if she even plays HS.

I also agree with a previous post of yours about GFC U-17 Black. I would take that comment one step further and say did you ever see GFC-USA two years ago. Went to club Nationals in 2001 and featured Lindsey Beam, Elizabeth Metherell, Stacy Simpson, and a host of other outstanding players, most of whom are playing D1 college ball.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard