Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#42031 05/11/02 04:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Megan Smith (not playing h.s. in 02) is one of the best in the state. Athletic, tough, smart. And versatile - can play anywhere.

#42032 05/13/02 12:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If Lancaster's Abby Walker is so great and scores all these goals why is Lancaster not ranked. And why are they 4-8 in conference. The way you talk about her she is carrying the team to the state championship, but your record doesn't look that way. what's up with that?

#42033 05/14/02 01:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To voice of reason 2; You obviously are from the midlands since all of your "best" are from there. There are a tremendous number of talented players in the Upstate who can match up with your list.
If the players you picked are so tremendous, how come none of their high school teams played in the State Championship this year? Also, until Stacy left Necsa two years ago, and Bryn left this past year to play on Upstate club teams how many times did they win state and go to Regionals?
A list of the "best" players should include those players who elevate their team to achieve more.
I'm not disagreeing with your picks, all of them are good players, but there are many that you have omitted who could have produced as impressive stats as these girls. Megan Smith at T-R holds the State record for goals in a season and probably would have set a new career record had she played this past year. She consistently marks Lindsey Beam in club matches and usuallly wins the match-up, yet I never see her mentioned as one of the 'Best".
Another oft overlooked player is Kristine Ashford. She is as good a defender as you can find in club, but has played midfield and forward in high school. The same is true of Erica Devine at Riverside. Had these girls been able to play one position their whole career, it would be obvious that they are among the best.

#42034 05/16/02 08:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
nope. sorry. bryn and stacy are still up top. now, who all is playing college soccer next year? i guess stacy must have a teensy bit of skill to stand out among others in the state to play at furman. even if bryn got a tough break to play college ball, they both still deserve the titles of best players around.

#42035 05/17/02 05:31 AM
goal kick
goal kick
i have seen lots of wonderful players this year while refereeing the womens games. dreher has two great players in their keeper and sweeper (sorry i don't know names). irmo has ashley baker and erin savitz and holly mauldin. RNE has brin and jessica (?). lindsay beam in the upstate. but my pick for the best player that i saw this year is ginny wolfe from lexington. she plays with fire and intensity rarely seen in the women's game her work rate is incredible, she is usually marked 2 or 3 v 1 she can hit with both feet with accuracy and velocity she is the complete package and a wonderful person to top off her soccer skills.

region player of the year but not all state????? shame on the selection committee for bring politics into the selection room.

#42036 05/19/02 01:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with you that Ginny Wolfe should have been on the All State list...but did you notice that her coach didn't go to the voting? Actually quite a few coaches didn't attend the voting. Unless all the coaches participate, the honor is somewhat tainted.

#42037 05/23/02 12:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Eastside Fan:

Although you are correct in your assumption of my location, if I had been "posting" last year my choices would have been:

Best finisher: Kelly Shedd (Mauldin/GFC USA)

Best Defender: Sarah Turner (Eastside/GFC USA)

Best Overall Player: Elizabeth Metherell (Eastside/GFC USA)
(If I remember correctly, neither Turner, nor Metherell played HS season last year, but, that doesn't change the fact that they were the best!)

Best Keeper: Laura Snell (Spring Valley)

This year, in my opinion of course, they just happened to fall in the midlands.

#42038 05/24/02 04:26 AM
G
bench
bench
G
You guys really need to get out and watch club soccer. Yea all the girls you mentioned are outstanding players on high school teams. When they play club though they are on teams with girls of equal if not better abilities.

#42039 05/23/02 05:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
disagree with the baker girl...all she tends to do is run over people, but what number is this kelly sneider from mauldin? there's a couple of players from mauldin that worked real well together, i wouldn't consider anyone on their team best in the state though and Michelle Cathy, yes I have heard of her and have played against her several times over the years. I give her much respect but she's another one of those run over players who can lose her composure. Ginny Wolfe, our team was warned of her when we played her but the only thing she did was score a PK on a play the ref admitted was a bad call right after he blew the whistle. For the Irmo list I don't see how you guys didn't mention Tina Dixon. Her thing is taking 1v1 wh/ is only effective if she's on the move because she's so fast but personally i think she plays better off people though. she can pull a few moves out of nowhere, and yeah the Savitz girl seems ok just cause she stands out for her team. Irmo only has 4 players who can play at all. to me even the beam girl who EVERYONE talks about. well i played riverside, and maybe she was sick or something that day but i totally missed her. I think erica devine is a good player...as a defender, when we began possessing that game they pulled her top for me to mark and 1 they didn't really give her the ball but if she was outmuscled she got frustrated, you just can't have that...i guess it just doesn't happen to her a lot. I'd say the best player I played against, wow this is tough, the only people who've ever amazed me were a couple midfielders for GFC USA last year. Couldn't tell you any names though, but I guess that assumption that you can't tell anything from high school is true then.

#42040 12/06/02 07:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
13yld Magen McElveen from Wilson Hall in Sumter and a forward for Sumter United U18 MSGSL Fall 2002 Underfeated CHAMPION.
Now this very young girl is "AWESOME" for her age on the field,a Coach's dream player Yes sir No sir a very sweet girl. And a guest player for CSC Nightmares 89, SC next MIA HAMM in 3-4 years YOU GO GIRL!.... We all have one just like her, lets get them on the field, and in Colleges.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard