Print Thread
#42144 04/25/02 01:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where are some of the better soccer camps in the state and do they have goalie camps included?

#42145 04/28/02 10:48 PM
Brace
Brace
Most of the "known" schools in SC have camps (Clemson, Furman, USC, etc). These schools have a keeper camp for at least one of the weeks.

A couple of things to keep in mind- call and ask the director who this year's staff is. Some schools do not chance brochures (it's a cost issue) so some of the coached may not coach there any more. Some of these camps have a "sun rise" session. This session is usually about 45 minutes and it is before breakfast. Then you eat, the morning session, lunch, etc. If your daughter is looking to play in college, find a "Senior Advanced" camp at a school with a good team. In my experience, there is usually much better competition and there are usually more high profile coaches at these. Make sure to check price though b/c Senior Advanced are more expensive. If your daughter is only interested in playing out her high school career, then I would reccomend the regular camp b/c of the price issue. If you are really interested, SoccerPlus is the best keeper camp, but the closest one is in Fayetteville. More info at www.keeper.com

Hope that helps.

#42146 04/28/02 10:49 PM
Brace
Brace
AHHH. It's www.goalkeeper.com

Don't go to the other one. Sorry!

#42147 04/28/02 10:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks for the information, and the information. [Razz]

#42148 05/02/02 06:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer camps are fine, but it is hard to expect much out of 4 or 5 days. Having a good keeper coach in your club is more important. We are trying Super Y this summer because it is an opportunity to play with players from other teams against excellent talent from other states. Right now Super Y teams are in Charleston and Greenville.

#42149 05/03/02 11:43 PM
Brace
Brace
As the GK Trainer for a club here in SC, I can say that I love training our GKs. I train male and female GKs ages 11-17 in the fall and 11-13 in the spring. My problem is that most coaches do not send their GKs to training. The coaches who have sent their keepers have thanked me for the work I have done since August and say that they have noticed a significant positive difference in their keepers. I am still learning and continue to make improvements in my sessions and feel that I do a good job.

My problem is that most coaches think they know how to train GKs when in actuality they don't know how to train them and are actually hurting their GK by the training they are doing. For instance: when does a keeper run half a mile in one sprint in a game? The answer- NEVER!!!!! So why train a GK by running them for half miles, miles or two miles at a time on a consistent basis? Also, most coaches' idea of GK traing is yelling "keep the ball out of the net!" w/o giving any meaningful cues or suggestions or giving the wrong ones. Also, I am continually frustrated by my numbers. One week I'll have 10 at training and the next I'll have two and then I'll have 8 and etc. Every coach has my e-mail address but no one e-mails me when they have a scrimmmage or game to let me know ahead of time that their keeper will not be there. Don;y coaches like to know ahead of time when thier players will be missing practice???? I live about 25 minutes from our training facility and there has been more than once that I have gone to GK training and had NO keepers and had to drive home. A knowledgable and commited club GK trainer can be one of the best assets to a club but only if the club teams coaches think so too. The Director can do all s/he wants but ultimatley, it is up to the team coach.

This is just something for anyone who is thinking of trying GK training and also for people who run the clubs here in SC to think about.

Link Copied to Clipboard