Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
The Class 3A Girls Soccer Playoff Pairings are available at: SCHSL - Class 3A Girls Playoffs .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The seedings and rankings make no sense to me. How can two teams (Daniel and Wren) be seeded higher than Eastside when Eastside is ranked ahead of both these teams in the state 3A poll. How can Riverside be number two behind Union? This system needs to be revamped to reward teams like Greenville, Eastside, and Riverside who play in a tough conference and play tough non-conference competition. It seems they are being penalized for playing better competition.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they dont make any sense to me at all either!! this is totally screwed up! i agree with you on that eastside fan

World Cup
World Cup
The seedings are based on points, not ranking. If you...
beat a 4A team with a winning record-4.5 pts
lose...3.5pts
beat a 4a team with a losing record-4.0pts
lose...3.0
beat a 3A team with a winning record-4.0pts
lose...3.0
beat a 3A team with a losing record-3.5pts
lose...2.5
So on and so forth. The teams that play the hard teams get rewarded for it.

Brace
Brace
First, I thought that AAAA was the only division that used this goofy point system. Next, let me say that this is one of the biggest travesties I have ever witnessed in South Carolina soccer! I mean no disresepct to the Union players, coaches or school but looking at their record and competition, they barely deserve to be in the playoffs and have no right to be seeded above RHS, EHS, Daniel, Greenville or Wren. Union is 13-3 (81%) with two scored not reported. Two of their losses came to Indian Land and Clover. Most of their victories came against teams with losing records or no wins at all. Riverside is 21-2 (91%) with wins over Wando, Summerville, Daniel, Dreher, Greenville (twice) and Eastside (twice). Their two losses were to Mauldin (in PKs) and Stratford Academy (Ga). My tallies show Union 39.5 and RHS 60. This excluded tournament games. Even if Union beat all AAAA teams with winning records, they would only have 58.5 points. This still falls short of Riverside at 60, and let me reiterate that this total does not include Riverside's victories over Wando and Summerville or their loss to MAuldin since those were tournament games. If tournament games were included, then Riverside would be very close to 100 points. If this is not a clear example of why to do away with the point system, I don't know what is!

To Region 1 Coach- with all due respect sir, do you honestly agree with your statement of "the teams that play the hard teams get rewarded for it"? Riverside beat several top ranked AAA schools (including number 2 Dreher, Greenville, Eastside and Daniel) while Union didn't even play a ranked team, let alone beat one. Also, many of Union's victories were over teams with no wins. Some of these were out of conference games so Union did not have to play these teams while Riverside's nonconference schedule had Daniel and Dreher, just to name a few.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3A does not use the point system. 4A will do away with it next year, I believe.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ask your AD to show you a copy of the seedings. Each year the seedings rotate to allow the winner of a different Region to be the Number one seed. This year in the Lower State, Georgetown is seeded first, when everyone knows Dreher should be. But the best team will always get through. Riverside and Eastside will have to meet before the Upper State final, but the best team will still win, right? Anyway, that is how it is and how it has been for several years. Maybe it isn't the best determination but it is what we use. Rankings here on SCSOCCER have no bearing on 3A seeding. This isn't meant to be a debate, just an FYI.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I understand that the seeding are done by rotating through the regions. However, I think a bigger concern is the number of teams that are in the 3A playoffs. If you look at past history you will see many first round games of 10-0 or greater scores. Why not reduce the field at least to 24(maybe less) and give 1st round byes to the top seeds. At least this will reduce the number of loopsided games. I believe that the playoff system should be reviewed when you have teams well below .500(i.e. 4-12) that make it to the playoffs. These 10-0 games are no fun for neither team. Just my opinion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I meant 'no fun for either team'. Now I know why there is a review post button

World Cup
World Cup
You are right, it is only 4A and it will be done away with next year.

Link Copied to Clipboard