Next Thread
Print Thread
#42292 06/23/02 11:26 PM
J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
I don't know if anyone else looked at "The State" paper this morning but I did. If you were lucky enough to miss this I will ruin your day by recreating it.

It is basically a comparison between Soccer and Golf as to which sport is most boring. I'll just put the soccer side.
Faceoff: The Battle of Dullsville
Category: Soccer
Scoring: One shot on goal every 25 minutes: I Love This Game!
Distractions:Easily distracted from game by choral singing in the stands.
Toughness:Extra "injury" time added to clock in hopes that someone might actually score.
Wimps:Wussy players roll on the ground in fits of pain after a light tap on the upper thigh.
Advice:What the sport really needs: land mines.
Suspense:Gee, how will ESPN work commercials into a sport with no timeouts?
TV:Announcer shouts "Gooooooooooal" so you realize something happened.
Predictable: Multiply your sleep deprivation fun: Stay up till 5 a.m. to watch another 0-0 tie.
Yawning:You can't touch the ball with your hands--which leaves them free to stifle yawns.
Colors:Where else can you learn Senegal's colors are red, yellow, and green?
Drama:Pent up energy from watching adults run around in no direction causes fans to riot.
Inspiration:You never heard Ronald Reagan tell the boys to "win one for Ronaldo."
Attire:Soccer min in shorts! Who cares if their names are unpronouncable?!

I'm sad to say that we can't give all the credit for this wonderful column to "The State" because its actually from the Chicago Tribune (this is probably because no one at "The State" even knew that you can tie in soccer or that there was even a World Cup) (of course i'm exaggerating but you get my point).
Now whats really wrong here? Everyone already knows that there is basically no support for soccer in SC. But what is really wrong is that with the new found success of the U.S. team and the new hype about soccer, though it may not seem that important it is. And now that there is all this hype "The State" takes an article from the Tribune basically to fill up space and entertain all the rednecks out there that are to stupid to understand the game.

I'm not saying "Protest The State" or anything like that. I'm just remember that they (The State) don't care about soccer. Moreover they don't even care about South Carolina. "The State" is owned by the printers of the newspaper in Charlotte (I think its "The Observer") so just remember "The State" just wants to sell papers not provide unbiased or unselfish news.

Maybe its just me but this article really ****ed me off and I felt I needed to know i'm not alone so if anyone else has some thoughts on this or information that I don't know about that would/could change my opinion i'd love to hear it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
most of todays older people(40 and up) grew up playin baseball and football. baseball is thought of as being a manly mans sport while some question whether soccer is a sport. soccer could arguably be the roughest sport of all. u have to be in peak physical condition to play too. while in football players are subbed in and out every play.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry to say The State, as usual, is behind the curve. However to raise your spirits a bit try this article from the Washington Post. Hmmm...The State or the Washington Post, which paper do you think is more credible?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20380-2002Jun20.html

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Mad]

Link Copied to Clipboard