Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#42410 03/02/03 10:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Honestly, 19-0 is horrible. Thats poor sportsmanship by a classless team. There is a difference in winning and simply going to far. Classless.

#42411 03/03/03 10:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Generally, increasing the number of passes to keep the score down against a bad team will not accomplish the task. This is because you will almost always get to the set number of passes. A couple of ideas:

Players can score off of crosses only. This is great practice, too.

Reduce the number of players you have on the field and THEN require a given number of passes. This makes the possession much more difficult especially if you get down to 7 or 8 players. It also requires your players to move more off of the ball to get open.

#42412 03/04/03 01:04 AM
Brace
Brace
I didn't read all of the posts in this thread but we have talked about this before. First, if we adopted a "Mercy Rule", then people would get upset b/c the other team scored 10 goals in 30 minutes, and then the game is over. Second, I do not believe that SCHSL will allow a team who has at least 11 players to play with less than 11 on the field.

My team (Stall High School) played a pre-season game at Spring Valley. We were very much over matched and on top of that, we only had 11 players. The final was 12-0. If we had driven 2 hours to play a match that lasted 60 minutes, it would have been a waste for both teams. I can say that we are a much better team for playing that game and it gave Spring Valley a chance to play younger players one the result was not in question. Also, the Spring Valley players and coaches showed a tremendous amount of respect for me and my team. The score is insignificant- it's how the team gets there. We play Sumter Wednesday night.

#42413 03/05/03 04:07 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Le Coach,
I coached against your club team twice this
past fall and it sure looked like a 4-4-2
to me. [Smile]

#42414 03/08/03 01:55 AM
Brace
Brace
Bazza and Crossbar,
Unless one of you is the coach of Lakewood then you have no right to comment on a game you have no firsthand knowledge of. My team, Stall High, played at Sumter and lost 18-0. I can honestly say that Sumter did not attempt to run up the score. It just seemed that every shot they hit was either in the upper 90, from point blank range or hit with increible pace. This is because they are a tremendously skilled team. They played around the back, passed up certain shots on goal and shook hands with my players at the end of the game. Also, their fans and players treated my players with respect while having complete enthusiasm for their own team. Their 4-0 result over Spring Valley was definately deserved and not a fluke. We have played both teams.

Like I said, it is not the final score but how the team gets there.

#42415 03/08/03 03:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Finally, someone from Lakewood... The game against Sumter High was awesome. The girls are very talented, and the coaches and players were very respectful. I didn't mind that they ran the score up because as long as I get to play, then that is all that matters to me. The fun ended when they had to complete 5 passes but I understand why the coach told them to do that. No one from SHS killed my love for the game.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard