Page 1 of 2 1 2
#42434 03/01/03 02:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Give us some game reports on the Rotary Soccer Classic. I want to hear what is happening today in high school soccer not reports from last fall's classic teams. I am glad to see the girl's section of the message board light up for once. Which schools looked good today? Just interested since I saw some great stuff at the boy's Wando tournament last week.

Brace
Brace
Girls- Fort Dorchester 5, Stall 0
Boys- Berkeley 0, Stall 0

Those were the first two games of the day, and it was not raining then. I was going to head back down to watch some more games, but, surprise, surprise, it is raining pretty heavily right now here in Charleston.

D
corner kick
corner kick
D
Summerville Girls 3
Stratford Girls 0

Summerville outclassed Stratford

James Island Boys 0
Bishop England Boys 0

West Ashley Girls 0
James Island Girls 0

West Ashley keeper saved a PK and James Island hit the post. No offence from West Ashley at all.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Ditto what Dcut5 said about West Ashley's lack of offense. JI dominated the midfield and kept play in front of the WA goal. JI should have had a win there tonight. Region 7 4A should be a lot of fun this season.

lpaf

D
corner kick
corner kick
D
James Island was the far better team on the day i didn't see a lot of the West Ashley's better players out there. It should be a great match up during the season. CGSA Fusions players really make a differance on both teams. Well done Andy

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
dcut5 --

Only two WA players were missing by my count, though both are impact players. Danielle Jordan, sweeper or forward, just finished basketball playoffs and was nursing some minor injury and Alicia Brothers, ODP national quality goalie, was on the bench for some reason. Danielle could have brought some left footed fire power to the offense but I don't know that Alicia's absence made a lot of difference given the 0-0 tie. I agree 100% that Andy Grist (CGSA u-16 Fusion coach) has brought to WA and JI a wealth of 10th grade talent. I felt last season that James Island had the stronger assortment of the Fusion players (and I still do), but as last season progressed JI seemed to stumble and stall while WA's focus sharpened. This is a new year with new possibilities but the same challenge: How do you beat Wando in the playoffs?

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the game reports and good luck to you this season.

D
corner kick
corner kick
D
How do you beat wando? well according to their coach LUCK, last season West Ashley out played Wando and deserved to win. This is a new season and Wando is out to prove that they are a force. Interesting match up on Friday night Wando @ Summerville, this match should be an indication of things to come.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
dcut5 --

I see Coach Ferguson's quote stuck in your mind (or craw) like it did mine. If my memory of the Post and Courrier article is correct, the entire quote was "sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Tonight West Ashely was lucky." That game was as much a Wagnerian opera or a scene from Macbeth as a soccer game -- complete with gale force winds and lightning and thunder as the teams played even through regulation, both overtimes and West Ashley finally prevailed in the shoot out. Still, like Billy Goat's Gruff, Wando sits as the troll guarding the bridge leading to State. Last year West Ashley knocked the troll off the bridge (just lucky I guess, huh Coach?) and I wouldn't put it past James Island or West Ashley to put the troll in the water again.

lpaf

D
corner kick
corner kick
D
I guess if Wando had won in the Shootout, it would have been a masterfull performance...it always amazes me how some coaches can not show more class when beaten by a better team on the day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard