Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4260 03/06/02 05:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok players, coaches and refs, what calls are refs consistently getting wrong, and how can we use
this board as a forum for better understanding of the game. Be specific.

Case in point: player A1 is attacking the goal of Team B and is in the penalty box in a 1v1 against
B1. B1 then obstructs A1 so that his shot is wide. Ref blows the whistle and makes what call?

I'll post the correct answer later, but let's see how many know this one first. My point is better refs
begin by better understanding the rules and spirit of the game.

#4261 03/05/02 06:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That all depends on how he was obstructed, if he was hit from behind or given a hip check or somethin, it should be a PK, if the defender got around him, and made a legal slide tackle getting ALL ball, it should be a corner or goal kick depending who had the last touch on it.

#4262 03/05/02 08:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeah, what do you mean in this case? is he illegally tackled or pushed? which would result in a PK and red card since its the last defender. or do you mean something else?

#4263 03/05/02 08:29 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
Key word is obstruct. It is an indirect free kick. No questions, no arguments. If something else crazy happened on the play, it may change. But another question is how did a player obstruct the offensive player, and the offensive player still get a shot off. that doesn't sound like obstruction to me, it sounds like good solid defending. But thats just my opinion.

#4264 03/06/02 01:50 PM
Brace
Brace
Slide tackling from behind is the call that i see that is missed most often, i feel it rivals offsides. My understanding is that ANY tackle from behind is an automatic yellow card. There is nothing about how much ball you get. I think this needs to be clarified and emphasized to refs. A blown offside call mayu result in a goal or a loss of a game and, in my case, it was the end of a streak. But a tackle from behind, even if the player gets all ball, can seriously injure the player being tackled.

A shoulder to shoulder tackle is legal and certainly a slide tackle from the side is fine but i have seen too many players salide opposinbg players from behind as a desperate measure and if it is the last defender who slide a player, that is an automatic red card.

#4265 03/07/02 05:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The correct answer is: an indirect kick from the spot of the foul, because obstruction is always an indirect kick. (The only time a PK is awarded is if the foul would have resulted in a direct kick.) If the ball was inside the goalie box, the defending team may build a wall that is less than 10 yards away; otherwise the wall is the usual 10 yards.

Todays' topic is this:

Player A1 is attacking B's goal when he is fouled. A1 however maintains possession for 2 seconds before falling down on his on.
Whistle blows. . .what is the call?

#4266 03/06/02 06:12 PM
C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Quick question
I was just wondering how does a defender obstruct an attacker, that it would result in a indirect kick as opposed to a direct kick

Because at some point what the defender does crosses the line between a direct kick and indirect kick
ie trip = direct kick
grabing the players jersey = indirect ?????

#4267 03/06/02 06:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I also wonder what obstruction is defined as......regarding the new topic.....i think that would probably be an indirect, i dont think it would be direct if the guy managed to stay on his feet and keep possession of the ball. But you did say "Foul" so maybe it would be a direct kick.

#4268 03/06/02 06:55 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
Since there was a foul observed..the ref was waiting to see if an advantage was going to develop. Since the attacking player didn't keep his feet, it is a direct free kick at the spot of the foul. On a further note, even if he had kept his feet and no advantage developed, the whistle should be blown to give the direct free kick.

#4269 03/06/02 07:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The answer given by Joe Landenneau is absolutely the correct answer.
Also,on a tackle from behind can be a legal tackle. It is not automatically a foul. If the tackle is an illegal tackle from behind, the officials do not always red card the tackler but he does always get yellow carded.
Another call that is missed is a legal slide tackle and the player losing the ball to the tackler continue on and trips over the tacklers legs. I do not consider that as a foul but I have seen it called several times.

#4270 03/06/02 09:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I apologize to Joe Landreneau for misspelling his name in the prior message. Also,I meant to say that a player in possession of the ball can be tackled from behind in a legal fashion.The tackling player could conceivably get all ball first without any contact with the player in possession. Is this correct? If there is contact with the player first and the player was on a breakaway, I thought the call was an automatic red card but this may be in the ref's discretion. There should be a yellow card for this foul at the very least but I have seen this twice this year with no cards being given although the foul was called and a direct kick awarded. If someone would clarify this, I would be grateful.

#4271 03/08/02 02:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The fact that the attacker touched the ball first does not give him license to make unfair contact with the player.

#4272 03/08/02 06:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know refs are going to miss calls, make bad calls because I am a qualified ref as well. The club I coached required all coaches and captains of the team to take the test,pass it, and ref in the lower ages. The refs I've run up against don't do any preventive reffing its straight to the card. There is no communication with the players at all. They don't tell them what is going on they just give hand signals and carry on. Not all players know the hand signals. They could save themselves a lot of hassle if they vocalized a little more and gave a little less attitude (appeared to enjoy doing it). As a coach you try to tell them what the signals mean but the ref is always closer. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard