Print Thread
#42666 04/05/03 01:29 AM
D
dcut5 Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
D
This was a compeling match up at the outset and from the way i saw the game no team had a clear advantege throughout the contest. This was a very clean game with both teams fighting hard for every ball. West Ashley took the lead into the half 1-0 on a goal by Meece Gibbs, James Island put the pressure on in the second half; but West Ashleys keeper made a key save to keep the score 1-0. James Island kept up the pressure and hit the crossbar but could not follow up. West Ashley scored a second goal from Julie Bolt late in the second half to give West Ashley a 2-0 win.
Standout players in my opinion from James Island Terry, Goznelle (sp) and Lassiter and for West Ashley Bolt, Jordan and Gibbs. When these teams meet again it should be even better, James Island was coming off a loss to Wando while West Ashley had an easy one with Berkeley.....any thoughts from any one at the match?

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
dc5 --

I agree with your assessment. Very even play -- it would have taken only a different random bounce or two to make the outcome different. The core of both these teams come from Andy Grist's U-16 CGSA fusion team and everyone knows everyone about as well as players can. JI lost to Wando, I think, due to a couple of brief lapses on defense. West Ashley beat both JI and Wando due to a very resilient defense based around the tremendously athletic play of Danielle Jordan and a scrappy opportunistic offense. Meech Gibbs is having a great season as a junior. The rest of the season should be a lot of fun to watch.

lpaf

ps: How can Summerville remain as highly ranked as they are?

D
dcut5 Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
D
As of today Summerville lost to Wando 3-1 and still have to play the again. Due to the 4A secduling Summerville had the easier schedule this season. It will be very interesting to see how the lowerstate seedings play out. Right no West Ashley controls its own destiny for home field throughout the playoffs. I thought more fans would have been at the game tonight to see two of the best teams in the lowcountry go head to head. Maybe when they meet again the newspaper could promote it ...just a thought.

Link Copied to Clipboard