Print Thread
#43017 04/24/03 06:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did you read the thread about the Columbia area merger discussions?
I don't believe Charleston area teams will be able to consistantly compete w/ upstate with our
4 relatively small clubs ( compared to GFC or St Giles). Wish Battery could sponsor premier level team that all clubs would agree to send their best players to. Each club still do everything from micro,inhouse,taysa, and classic, even challenge B teams if there is enough interest.

#43018 04/24/03 07:23 PM
D
corner kick
corner kick
D
Thats the problem too many clubs in a small area. But Carolina Girls Fusion U16 has been a costant in the State Championships and in the regionals the past few years, so i guess in answer to your question to lpaf (soorry lpaf) the smaller clubs can compete, its a matter of coaching and the dedication of the players to that program. I know i might hurt some feelings but high school soccer hurts the premier players in the State, look at the scores of some of these games its ridiculos(sp)..feel free to comment

#43019 04/24/03 07:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1- High School soccer does hurt the development of the girls (boys for that matter) who want to play college.

2- MPSC ICE has exceeded Fusion's accomplishments by being State champion for 7 years and Regional Finalist and Semi Finalist so I am not contesting whether or not a single team can have the occasional success.

3- Please note I said consistent competition for state titles. Just look at fall State Cup finalists and champions. Upstate took 6 of 8 championships.

4- Locally we already have canabilism of all our teams with cross town recruiting (going in all directions so I won't blame any one club). Both ICE and Fusion lost potential players from last yr's teams due to team politics.

#43020 04/24/03 07:54 PM
D
corner kick
corner kick
D
I agree something has to be done so that the Lower State can compete with the Up State, after reading alot of threads about the possible columbia merger i still do not know if it would work down here "TO MUCH POLITICS"

#43021 04/25/03 04:40 AM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
s1 --

I can't help much here. I haven't followed the Columbia controversy at all -- questions of merger between soccer clubs are always too political for me. I see the success of Fusion and Ice as a testament that great coaching and tradition can overcome club differences. I think the more important question here is what is the fundamental basic unit of soccer. The city? the club? the team? the season? the individual game? the player? soccer itself as an artform? I favor the player as the most important and fundamental unit, with soccer itself as second. I don't think HS soccer hurts the development of the players in most cases (rare exceptions of great players on very weak HS teams must exist). HS soccer allows our girls to experience new coaching, play new and different positions, and feel a sense of value and place in their high schools. Good players continue to improve as they experience new situations, and a few Wando v West Ashley v James Island games in a regular season far outweigh the facile rip through the soft underbelly of the rest of regions 7 and 8. Strong players learn to be leaders by helping younger or weaker players learn to pass, shoot and defend better. These lessons will outlast our girls' (or boys') actual participation in the game by many decades. Soccer is a framework, a medium, an enobling battle/proving ground. It's preparation for life, not life. (Sacrilege!!!) The best players will always find a way to move up to the next level of competition. Enough.

lpaf

#43022 04/25/03 11:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Night owl?

#43023 04/25/03 01:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lpaf,

I am still trying to figure out the expanding universe and Vera Wang (no that's the dress my daughter wants that I cannot afford because she takes all of my money playing soccer).

I have stayed away from the merger discussion. I have been through business mergers and club mergers and they all have the following happen to work.

1)Tell the truth.
2)Make no guarantees.
3)Don't stereotype the other group in the merger.
4)Knock down the walls, do not play favorites.

The first thing that happens most mergers, is that the top person (or person's) from each organization get in a room with their favorite beverage, and ask the all important question, "What is going to happen to you and me if we merge?" If they can figure that out to each others satisfaction, the merger talks go on.

It is difficult for parents to initiate merger talks, because number one they cannot act for the board, but also most parents are generally happy with the status quo and would become concerned about what will happen to Bobby or Sue in the event of a merger. Will they be on a B team, or will they make the team at all?

Now is bigger necessarily better? Not necessarily, and that is why I am trying to lose weight. But the first thing that people talk about is merging talent to form super teams, and they forget about team chemistry and merging expenses and philosophies (there doesn't seem to be much duplication of expenses to be eliminated, because most club expenses are directly dictated by the number of players - trainers, fields etc., so you're not going to save much there from merging). One of the good things would be more contributors toward purchasing land for fields.

The recipe for success in soccer (whether it is a big club or a stand alone team) and most everything else:
1) Good training
2) Develope a love for whatever you are doing.
3) Have a strong, consistant work ethic.
4) Plan your work, work your plan. Take no shortcuts.
5) Respect your people and your competition.
6) Winston Churchill "Never, never, never, never, never (I don't remember how many nevers he said) never give up."

Good luck and be patient.
BLJ

Link Copied to Clipboard