Print Thread
#43077 05/05/03 01:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can a coach teach his or her team to be dedicated? I have always believed that deducation is something that can only be self taught. I'm not a coach but I've wondered what a coach could do to build dedication that is not there.

#43078 05/05/03 02:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LW08-
Dedication may be one of the hardest things to teach. A coach can explain drills, runs, even a good diet, but teaching dedication to the game would be like teaching an emotion, which cannot be taught, only experienced. Being a player, personally I feel great dedication towards the game, soccer is included in my everyday life and there's not a day when I do not think about the next game or the next practice. Emotion towards the game is the sign of a dedicated player, and is one of the best attributes a player can have. To sum things up, I do not feel that dedication can fully be taught by a coach, but merely hinted towards, the rest is up to the idividual.

#43079 05/05/03 04:04 AM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
lw8 --

As an aging former athlete, I think the best coaches can inspire an athlete to dedicate him or herself to a sport and to making themselves a better, more focused person. Dedication cannot, however, be force fed. The best coaches bring out the best in players and make them even better. I had a coach like that a long time ago and the work ethic he helped me develop is imporant to me every day of my life. Coaches take note: What you do matters far beyond your face to face contact with the players.

lpaf

#43080 05/07/03 01:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can not force dedication. But my hat is off to Tracy Wodeki of Carolina Forest. She sacrificed without resolve, to play sweeper at the end of "her" senior season for the team. This kept their young team in games, and I hope won't hurt her chances of being voted for in any post season awards! She was one of their best offensive threats on the team, but split the season between offense and defense. She is a true leader! Good luck to her on the Toast of the Coast voting. There is not a coach that knows her, that would not have her on their starting team! Great season Tracy!!! Good luck in all you do! You will go places!

#43081 05/08/03 04:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chuck Parker?

#43082 05/09/03 12:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coaches can motivate, if the players are willing. I saw how Erik Norton motivated the girls at Dreher to play hard, and the seniors last year reinforced his practices. However, now he's gone, and Dreher seems to lack direction. I hope they can pull it together for the playoffs.

Link Copied to Clipboard